Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Monk

I solved tonight's mystery at precisely 10:07 pm, a new record for me. This was based on my previously outlined theory: recognizable guest star

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monk

I've been getting a lot of love ever since I promised to give Natalie a chance. And I admit, Traylor Howard was pretty funny tonight, driving Monk insane (instead of the other way around) with her constant "ka-chings" as they furiously searched for a stolen diamond in the hopes of winning a $1 million reward. The opening heist sequence was totally lifted from The Pink Panther movies, with the robber emerging from a rolltop desk sporting a black jumpsuit and a Michael Myers-like mask from Halloween. As usual, the mystery was pretty easy to solve, and the bad guy (in this case, gal) was simple to spot. So I ignored the plot and sat back to enjoy the punch lines, like the excuse Tyler Mane's (yay, Sabretooth!) bounty hunter used when chastised for parking in a handicapped spot: "That's OK. I'm psychotic." Quirky DJ Qualls was also on hand as one of Monk's other competitors, and, of course, he was a technology geek (with looks like his, can he play anything else?). The episode had some pretty hip trappings (well, for Monk anyway), including heist music that sounded like a Muzak rendition of a Chemical Brothers' track, and a reference to crystal meth (do the old folks who watch this show even know what that is? And before you start sending in nasty e-mails saying I'm ageist, I'll have you know that I'm a proud old fogey who was raised on a steady diet of Murder, She Wrote and Matlock). In the end, Monk didn't get the money

• 4 weeks later...

Monk

Hey, hey fellow Monkies, did you miss me? I for one missed Monk, although I didn

Monk

Great, as if going to the dentist weren't stressful enough already, this Monk episode came along and made me mega paranoid. (And I thought Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors was bad). Jon Favreau made a great dastardly DDS, although he looks like he's been eating a few too many Dinners for Five. Sorry Jon, I love ya but you really need to take a cue from Kirstie Alley. Brooke Langton, of Melrose Place fame, looked fabulous as his assistant. Those two must enjoy working together: this is their third collaboration after Swingers and The Replacements. The supporting players got to do a lot of fun stuff this time around, particularly the perennially goofy Jason Gray-Standford as Lt. Randy Disher. Loved that he quit the force and reformed his high school band (I've been thinking of giving that a try myself). The Randy Disher Project was hilariously cheesy. And if you thought that video clip of "Don't Need a Badge" was funny, check out the entire opus

• 2 months later...

MOTHERS DAY SPECIAL

12:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK AND LITTLE MONK

01:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK AND THE KID

02:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK AND THE RED HERRING

03:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK GOES HOME AGAIN

04:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK GOES TO A WEDDING

05:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK AND THE OTHER DETECTIVE

06:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK GOES TO A FASHION SHOW

07:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK AND THE ASTRONAUT

08:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK AND THE ELECTION

09:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK MEETS THE PLAYBOY

10:00 PM MONK (MOTHER'S DAY STUNT) MR. MONK GOES TO THE BALLGAME

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Monk Star Reunites with an Old Pal

by Raven Snook

060707insider1.jpg

Tony Shalhoub and Stanley Tucci, Monk

The way Tony Shalhoub (who netted his fourth Emmy nod this week) and Stanley Tucci mercilessly rag on each other, it's easy to mistake them for family. But even though they played a pair of mismatched siblings in Tucci's delectable 1996 comedy Big Night, they're not related (although Shalhoub does affectionately refer to Tucci as "brother"). The two character actors forged a tight friendship back in 1989 at the Yale Repertory Theater, and have ever since gone out of their way to work together. Tucci has already cast his buddy in Big Night and The Impostors, and

Moved post by Wyman: Monk comes back tonight and a new show called Psych comes on right after it (on USA Network). Monk is always great and I've read a bunch of reviews for Psych and almost all have been positive. Is anyone else watching these shows?

Monk

by Raven Snook

July 7, 2006: Welcome Back!

Although overall the Emmy nominations were a travesty, I

Monk

by Raven Snook

July 14, 2006: Go Ask Alice

OK, what was up with that Alice Cooper bit? That was just strange, even for Monk. I got the feeling that Cooper is one of the writers

Monk

by Raven Snook

July 21: Everyone's a Winner

This episode drummed up all kinds of personal pain for me. As the kid who was perennially picked last for anything sports-related, I felt Monk

Monk

by Raven Snook

July 28, 2006: Blind and Loving It

Wow, Monk's temporary blindness turned him into quite an ass kicker! I enjoyed seeing his tougher side. Of course when Monk wasn't whopping criminals' butts he was consumed with a nasty case of self-pity. I loved the game of "top my trauma" that he played with the wart-sporting derelict at the police station. No matter what predicament the homeless guy complained about, Monk topped him, and it was a hoot in a morbid sort of way. The best line of the night came during that scene. When Stottlemeyer told Monk to touch the hobo's face in order to figure out if he was the perp, Monk whined, "I've gone my whole life without feeling a derelict's face. Even on my worst day, I could say that." Hilarious. (On a side note, why did a San Francisco derelict have a British accent? Very odd choice.)

I think at this point it goes without saying that I find most of the mysteries far-fetched. This one was no exception. Honestly, I barely follow the cases anymore. I just wait for the laughs. Is that wrong?

For those of you who don't read the Monk novels, this episode was actually inspired by Lee Goldberg's book Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse, although Monk being blind wasn't part of the original plot. Goldberg has a funny little post on his blog about adapting his story.

As a Ruthless People fan, I was happy to see Art Evans getting work (in the film, he uttered the following classic line about Bill Pullman

Monk

by Raven Snook

August 4, 2006: "No Jobs! Freelance!"

Monk is getting really bitchy! I find his newfound snarkiness hilarious, although he's not as cuddly as the old, quieter Monk, the one Sharona yelled at on a weekly basis. The new Monk gives almost as good as he gets, particularly where Natalie is concerned. She's his foil, and no matter how much she tries to push or help him, he'll come up with a cutting comment to shoot her down.

Take the detective agency Natalie encouraged

one of my favorite shows. but this new season stinks they are showing who do it to early and kilingl the suspense. plus monk phobia where are there not like the past

Monk

by Raven Snook

August 11, 2006: Class Action

I know I say this every week, but what was up with that mystery? Even Monk couldn't believe it. Before the reveal he said, "I have a theory, but it's completely crazy." Ya think? For those of you who missed it, a murderous husband planned to get away with offing his wife by pawning off a suicide note she wrote 25 years earlier as contemporary. However, the note was so specific, he needed to recreate certain details so that it would all seem to make sense. Now I'm no expert, but wouldn't the paper look, oh I don't know, ancient? And I don't recall keeping any of my suicide notes as souvenirs. I made sure to throw them all away.

OK, rant over. As maddening as I found the mystery, I loved the rest of the episode. Seeing Monk at his 25th college reunion really gave us great insight into his character and the early days of his relationship with Trudy. I'm such a wuss. I had tears in my eyes during the flashback when he met her. (How cute was young Monk, played by Luiggi Debiasse? I so would have gone for him.) The fact that Monk's classmates remembered Trudy fondly but couldn't place him made me so sad. I'm glad Natalie decided to join him after she overheard another alumnus explaining that Monk earned the nickname "Captain Cool" because he was always defrosting the refrigerator. Brilliant and eccentric as he is, Monk is the kind of guy who is easy to ignore, a sort of Mr. Cellophane, if I may borrow the title of a Chicago song.

My absolute favorite scene was when Monk opened the refrigerator. The way he said, "There you are, my old friend," as if confronting a long-lost enemy, was priceless, as were his instructions to Natalie: "I'm going to need a spatula, a pan and a Bible." If Monk ever loses his touch as a detective, he can always launch his own cleaning service, or perhaps a reality show. He's much more amusing than those two British biddies who host How Clean Is Your House?.

Other wonderful moments: when Stottlemeyer got booed after an old picture of him arresting students at a No Nukes protest popped up on the video screen. The way Monk whispered "thank you" when Natalie slipped her arm through his. Monk's name engraved on the salad-bar spit shield. Natalie dubbing Monk's talent for being able to discern characters written on his back as "a really weird, not very useful, superpower." The awkward conversation he had with a fellow widower played by Reginald VelJohnson (with only about three minutes of screen time!) about how hard it was to move on.

I actually thought that perhaps his seeing VelJohnson's character happily remarried, coupled with his saving the life of Trudy's old roommate, Dianne, might inspire Monk to date. I definitely thought I felt a spark between Monk and Dianne, although I've disliked Cynthia Stevenson, the actress who played her, since she starred in a terrible Lifetime sitcom called Oh, Baby. (Stottlemeyer got Sharon Lawrence. Can't Monk get someone that hot?)

In closing, did anyone else notice all the commercials for that new Save the Last Dance rip-off, Step Up? I know that Monk and the movie are produced by the same studio, but I mean really, do they think they have the same target audience? That was just odd.

Posted by Raven Snook 08/12/2006 5:37 PM

today episode monk get a new shrink was good

him and howard lmbao

man howard need to be included in every episode

monk needs a new assistant cause this girl is so dull

beat that :lol

Monk

by Raven Snook

Good News and Bad News

Since I usually prefer to hear the bad news first, I'll lay it right on you: I did something very un-Monk-like and missed this week's episode. You don't have to berate me, I'll handle that myself. I had assumed USA would rerun the episode on Saturday as per usual but of course this week the channel decided to air a Psych marathon. If I can't obtain a screener (or download the episode on iTunes... it's not yet available), then I'll catch it next Friday at 1 am and give you a double dose of Monk in honor of its fifth season finale.

What's the good news you ask? Well, No. 1 Monk fan on TVGuide.com (in my opinion, anyway) Kat1 shared some tidbits about the episode, and my mom gave me a somewhat incoherent recap. So I can say this: How weird is it that this week both episodes of Monk and Psych involved shrinks and plaster figurines? And as Kat1 pointed out, Shawn and Gus even took a road trip to San Francisco. For those of you salivating over a possible cross-over between the two crimedies, sounds like we're a few steps closer, right?

More to come later in the week. In the meantime, "chat" amongst yourselves and feel free to give me spoilers. I deserve it for failing you!

Posted by Raven Snook 08/20/2006 1:38 PM

this season has been awful

Monk

August 25, 2006: Between a Rock Concert and a Hard Place

I had two big reactions to tonight's episode. First, although it was fun, I wish last week's had been Monk's fifth mid-season finale. That scene with the one-armed shrink is still cracking me up. Second, Ted Levine should win an Emmy (or at least snag a nomination) for his portrayal of Stottlemeyer. While there's no question that Tony Shalhoub is brilliant, his tour-de-force performance shouldn't distract from Levine's fine supporting work. Tonight's biggest laughs