Racist remarks

I have had mixed feelings about how this season has gone. I do not believe the remark Kyle made regarding the Cook Out from last season was racially motivated. Obviously he has led a somewhat sheltered life of sorts. I think he meant that the group of 7 people from last season that banded together could win the competition even though they did say it was because they were people if color. Others in past seasons have said they would not put up or vote out a person of color, a gay person, a LGBTQ+ person, or a black man/woman, more so this season. It's that racist?  This may be my last season for BB sadly. 

Motivated, no. But it was the result of unconcious bias. Unconcious bias is something with which we all wrestle, whether we realize it or not. If you've ever diverted your eyes from a Black person on the sidewalk, or navigated around them in a room. A HG may think a Black HG isn't trustworthy, not because of anything they have said or done, but just because they don't vibe. That's unconcious bias. A Black alliance member might be expendable because they just don't have much in common with the other HG. That's an example of unconcious bias. 

Race has always been in the Big Brother house.  We're just now coming to terms with the fact.

Sadly, I think CBS will milk this for some kind of political correctness / wokeness thing. They want to be the heroes in showing they don't stand for anything remotely hinting of racism -- and Kyle was a convenient scapegoat.  What CBS doesn't seem to realize is that the audience is way more progressive and open-minded than they think (we don't need to be taught a lesson here with Kyle). In the rush to cleanse the show of any hint of racism, CBS neglects the genderism or sexism that is assumed to be okay or acceptable (the women have an all-girls alliance; "the ladies are working together"; we guys have to stick together to make it to the end, etc.).

I'm speaking here of the situation with Kyle only -- and the lack of consistency that jumps out this season. If what Kyle questioned is so wrong, then the other should also be shunned for being wrong as well. You don't get to cherry pick. If you feel the need and rush to judge Kyle for questioning whether people of color might be aligned, then you need to do the same for every single time someone in that house discussed the possibility of an alliance of all girls or all guys.

This is why I think CBS is race posturing and trying to score some hero points.

4 hours ago, whokayers said:

While acknowledging I will never know how a person of color etc feels I think what they put Kyle through was unnecessary and shameful. It had nothing to do with the game and I hope BB addresses the issue on finale night.

What exactly did they put him through? Being held accountable for his actions and his dangerous thinking?

3 hours ago, carmen said:

Sadly, I think CBS will milk this for some kind of political correctness / wokeness thing. They want to be the heroes in showing they don't stand for anything remotely hinting of racism -- and Kyle was a convenient scapegoat.  What CBS doesn't seem to realize is that the audience is way more progressive and open-minded than they think (we don't need to be taught a lesson here with Kyle). In the rush to cleanse the show of any hint of racism, CBS neglects the genderism or sexism that is assumed to be okay or acceptable (the women have an all-girls alliance; "the ladies are working together"; we guys have to stick together to make it to the end, etc.).

I'm speaking here of the situation with Kyle only -- and the lack of consistency that jumps out this season. If what Kyle questioned is so wrong, then the other should also be shunned for being wrong as well. You don't get to cherry pick. If you feel the need and rush to judge Kyle for questioning whether people of color might be aligned, then you need to do the same for every single time someone in that house discussed the possibility of an alliance of all girls or all guys.

A white man wanting to get a bunch of white people to go against poc is harmful as fuck. 

3 hours ago, carmen said:

A white man trying to get other white peoples to go against poc is a problem. If you don’t see that then you need to look inward.  I’ve never seen men be brought to tears because someone tried to form an all girls alliance. You simply cannot, CANNOT compare the two. My womaness puts me at risk for many things- but not nearly as much as my blackness does. My blackness could get me killed at a traffic stop. 

CBS has tried to present a very balanced picture of what happened.

Regardless of what you think of the show's demographics, there are viewers who have very different perspectives. If anything, this has led to hopefully a constructive dialog.

And this may be why CBS is wanting to use the show as a platform for addressing a particular ism. They may know more about their demographics and the need (or perceived need) to make a teaching moment out of this. 

My post was simply pointing out that CBS is trying to score points off of cleansing just one ism. There are many, many other isms. Ageism for instance. Terrance was treated horribly by most if not all of the houseguests this season. He was older and perceived to be weaker. I don't think anyone took him seriously. I did not hear or see any attempt on the part of CBS to address the issue of ageism. It's a serious thing in our society but no one wants to talk about it.

Why was it ok to have a group based on race on season 31 (and highlight them)and then chastise a person in season 32  who suggests there may be another group based on race forming?  Poor Kyle! This is human nature. If women form a group next thing you know, someone will be offended and call it feminism. Everyone needs to chill out! We are all different and all the same. We have much more in common than differences. Everyone needs to learn acceptance. 

Demographics or not, I do think this is an opportunity to have a conversation and hopefully some people can reconcile their misconceptions about what is racism and what is not. I don't think CBS is trying to "clense" anything, and while there are other "isms" out there, trying to compare racism to other "isms" minimizes the horrific and centuries-long consequences of racism. 

I do agree that Terrance was dismissed, in part due to his age, but also due in part to his size and his blue collar background. 

What I see is BB trying to present what happened in a fair and impartial manner. BB is not taking sides, is letting the HG express their views, and let America have the conversation.

That said, I think that the reunion in the Jury House of Michael, Terrance and Kyle skipped over any reconciliation, and I think the Cookout avoided wading into the controversy. The latter was by design by the former HG, I expect, but I expected more from the JH.