Derek Xiao

UcApEwyZgZRkAqXHQ3vN38ymSwoAOFC3zY0ZkzoyI5ph097S4HxCEC3AgqHQG7-A6pgJeHDxhrWFFYBxWWxVZozaT7jmmkqAs9u_XMiiihFe62R4C1UKOvP9fSU6P9I5eZe4TG2_

Derek Xiao

Hometown: Baltimore

Current City: New York City

Three words that describe you: Funny, logical, and thoughtful.

Favorite activities: I’ve been really into chess and surfing recently. I just spent a month in Hawaii, and I would surf every morning and then play chess on the beach. Growing up I fell into the typical Asian stereotypes and played tennis and piano. My mom only cooked Chinese food growing up, so I started learning how to cook so I could make random food that I craved, like mac and cheese. Now I love cooking and trying new recipes. My least favorite activity would be cleaning the dishes afterwards though.

Who are your favorite Houseguest duos? Those who became best friends in the Big Brother house or had a showmance?

Dr. Will and Mike Boogie. They looked like they were having a great time in the house, while also playing the game extremely well.

What are you most excited about living inside the Big Brother house?

Meeting interesting people from across the country. I love meeting new people and getting everyone laughing.

What do you think will be the most difficult part about living inside the Big Brother house?

Not being able to see my friends and family for the whole summer.

What is your favorite past moment on Big Brother?

Dan’s funeral speech in Season 14. That moment was flawless game play that leveraged both emotional and logical strategy.

What is your strategy for winning the game?

Build relationships with everyone in the house and slowly turn friendships into alliances. And then layer in unassailable logical reasoning to influence peoples’ decisions.

My life’s motto is…

“If you laugh at yourself first then everyone is just laughing with you.”

What would you take into the house and why?

• A journal so I can keep track of all the funny stories to share with my friends.
  • My laptop so I can keep working on my business.
  • An iPod so I can get hyped for competitions or relax after long days.

Fun facts about yourself:

• I rented a Citi bike to compete in a triathlon in college…and then crashed the bike.
  • I was stung by a jellyfish in Thailand and then was later forced to eat the jellyfish.
  • I was one of two Asian guys in my high school graduating class.
  • I started a company that ships meal kits by food influencers across the U.S.
  • I took hip hop dance classes in New York.

I really liked him in his bio video.  He seems to be positive and willing to do just about anything. 

Listening to him talking on the couch about how he f'd up and he deserves to be on the block is disappointing.  I expected him to be strong and figure out how to get off the block, not sit back and practically expect to be the first one out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess he decided not to use his PoV this week, so Frenchie and Brit are still on the block. This pretty much dooms Frenchie. Of course Frenchie is being overly dramatic and seems to be toying with the idea of just walking out.

• 2 weeks later...

But they know that "teams" wont last all summer long. Eventually Julie will tell them it's individual. He is playing long term. Securing bonds now. Also, they were thrown together on teams, no choice. You can pick and choose who you want to align with, outside of the teams. Just my 2 cents.

Why is he asking everybody what they would do if it were their HOH?  It's his HOH.  Now with all the deals he's placed himself in a position where he has to put up people he really doesn't want to.  It's so evident with those two girls (both pawns really)  on the block there's a backdoor plan.  The rest of them aren't stupid but it might backfire if the person who wins the veto doesn't use it.  Not sure either of those girls can win anything.

21 hours ago, HeleneL said:

Why is he asking everybody what they would do if it were their HOH?  It's his HOH.  Now with all the deals he's placed himself in a position where he has to put up people he really doesn't want to.  It's so evident with those two girls (both pawns really)  on the block there's a backdoor plan.  The rest of them aren't stupid but it might backfire if the person who wins the veto doesn't use it.  Not sure either of those girls can win anything.

I think this is something new that DR is making the HOH do before nominations.  Ky and Xavier did the same thing but a little different.  I heard them say several times that they had to meeting with everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping he would be in the BB finals, but I fully expect he will to be voted this week. He is good at comps, but his social game is not ruthless enough. He needed at last two more loyal allies to stay in the game at this point. 

The only votes Derek X may get is from Ky or Hannah.  I feel that Tiff was lying about wanting to flip the vote to keep Derek X.  Everyone knows that Tiff trust Clair more than anyone including member of the cookout.  He may get a chance to get back into the house but, it has not been confirmed yet.

Sad to see Derek X leave the house. Claire doesn't seem to contribute much to the game, she just kind of floats along. But she really is the better HG to keep in the house. At this point, most of the HGs could probably win sitting next to her and she makes for a good pawn or sacrifice if needed since odds are she won't win comps.