Season 2 - Episode 2.01: Man of Science

Jem

LOL, Ranster. I bet yours looked better than Jack's (at times I thought it was going to flip off onto Sarah).

Didn't catch what Walt was mouthing to Shannon. It happened so quickly. Anyone catch the patient's name who died while Jack was saving Sarah? I think I heard Rutherford. Isn't Shannon's last name Rutherford? I'll have to check it out.

Yes, I wondered about Desmond saying to Jack about seeing him in another lifetime. Seemed an odd thing to say. And the music, was that Mama Cass? I didn't tape this episode so have to rely on others.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the worse every wig I've seen on a TV show. How horrible! Sorry, I couldn't post anything until I got that off my chest!

The quarantine door. Oh my. Wonder how long the hatch has been sealed. Does anyone remember how long Jack was married? Why would that guy at the stadium say, "See you in another life." Is it really Desmond?

I taped it so I will be watching it again. So much info so little brain....

That is desmond in the cave Jemmy...

I am going to start recording them too!!

Been thinking more on the hatch and quarantine. We don't know how long the cave's been there, maybe it was built during nuclear war testing. Doesn't explain what Desmond is doing there, why therunning and using steroids. What's he training for now? Wonder if he has anything to do with Rousseau but he'd be too old to be her son. When did Jack marry Sarah? Two years after her accident, but was in the late '80s (if Jack's wig style is any indication). But that would make Jack older than he is.

I need to start recording them as well b/c I miss SO much the first time around.

God.. I'm ust not an observant person :P rofl

People are saying that the medicine or whatever he took at the beginning had the numbers on it.

I don't think he's one of the 'others' either. But he's definetly gonna be PO'd that they opened the hatch and now well.. his lil hideout isn't going to be safe from whatever this sickness is.

I wanna know what he was executing on that old computer though! What's the point of all that equipment....

How the heck did he end up on that island.... Where is he getting the fresh fruit? Or is it canned stuff?

What was up with the magnet? And the big flash of light?

Gaaaah so many questions!

Here's another question for you, since nothing seems to be coincidental, are the 'others' using people to find 'others' for whatever reason?

But then how did they all happen to be on the same flight?

What does the octagon symbol mean, it was all over the hatch.

From thefuselage.com, the numbers on the medicine bottle Desmond used (surprise) were CR 4-81516-23-42.

That was to cool!!!

Here is my take on the quarantine...

A sign is useally for warning someone of something ahead....

Notice how the sign was on the Inside of the hatch.... and no handle on the outside...

Inside wasn't under quarantine... The outside was...

Lets discuss!!

WOW :o I didn't even think of that!! Great deduction!

What an EXCELLENT episode- absolutely fantasmically BRILLIANT! I agree with the other poster though- the only minor flaw was Jack's very fake looking wig...they definitely could have done better, but, hey, I'm not complaining too much...I absolutely CANNOT WAIT until next week. I have to admit, I'm a spoilerholic but it was even better than I read about or could have hoped for!

Kudos to the writers, producer and director :):):):):):)

The song was "Make your own Kind of Music" by the Mamas and the Papas. How ironic...

"Make your own kind of music,

sing your own special song,

make your own kind of music,

even if NOBODY ELSE SINGS ALONG!"

Is this a tip-off/hint that he's been down there by himself for 16+ years?

Other things to discuss-

was he there before Rousseau's group?

...And is he trying to keep others away/off the island because of the "sickness"? Is his purpose to operate the security system to keep others away?

...and what was with all the drawings on the wall? I'll have to watch the episode again and freeze that section to see if I can tell what they're pictures of...

AHHH I can't wait!!! :wacko:

One other observation (my brain is ready to explode!)...

I noticed Desmond was on the top bunk of a bunkbed at the beginning of the show. There was a pillow on the lower bunk but no person...is there, or was there, someone else down there with him at one time? Could it have been Ethan? Or is Ethan one of "the others"? :huh:

Guest ranster627

we actually have a spoiler forum here so don't worry ... they don't move into the forum unitl after the episode has aired ans therefore they become moot or past news ...

did anyone notice that the whole environment had the look of a bosphere?

Fond this on an online discussion. This is supposed to be Walt's whispered words run backwards:

http://www.foxmod.com/lost/Walt.mp3

People have said it sounds like either "Press the button.

...No, button's bad." or "press the button...when he's not there"

Also, the guy who died on the table was named Adam Rutherford. Related to Shannon Rutherford? (People were also saying that he looked like it was Locke -I'll have to check the tape today to find out how true this is)

LOST IS BACK!!!!

I can't even beging to wrap my head around last nite's show. I watched it once, mouth agape from the opening scene to the "previews" (which, btw... I kinda like not having real previews!!).

The numbers were most definately on the bottles of whatever he was shooting up with -- I freeze framed my Tivo to triple check. Nothing else on the labels except RX and the numbers and "for injection only"...

I wonder why Jack is not married anymore - did the jerky fiance come back maybe?

Why did the key around Jack's neck start moving towards the wall... what type of magnetic thing is there? Remember the messed up compass?

My brain is fried... I just wanted to pop in and say hey, read what you guys are thinking and try to put my thoughts in order LOL!!!!

1) Is Desmond the French ladies baby?

2) Was Desmond a child that was put in quarantine to save him from what killed the "others"?

3) Maybe that injection was some type of vaccination?

4) Was Desmond really there when Jack was running the stadium or what Desmond a figmant of Jack's imagination?

5) Is Desmond playing "God?" He did imply to Jack that it would take a mircale to save Sarah?

LOL... these are just some of my thoughts after eppy 1... I'm so glad I got some answers to last season *snicker*

Guest ranster627

If it is the button said by Walt ... it is the one on the computer ... remember Locke said I wouldn't do that ...

1) Is Desmond the French ladies baby?

Hmmm ... this one to me Ceci would be a no because last season Rousseau said her baby was a girl ...

Ooops, you're right. :blush: Thanks Ranster!

(I think I need to get through season 1 again... details have faded. ugh)

If it is the button said by Walt ... it is the one on the computer ... remember Locke said I wouldn't do that ...

Hmmm ... this one to me Ceci would be a no because last season Rousseau said her baby was a girl ...

Yes, you're right Ranster. And wasn't there a girl on "the others" boat? Hmmm.... ;)

Yes, you're right Ranster. And wasn't there a girl on "the others" boat? Hmmm.... ;)

Yah.. think she was the one that tossed the explosive onto the boat. Not sure but she was definetly on the boat with the others.

I don't think the french woman's child woul be that old. Seemed liek she got pregnant after they got on the island or about when they got on the island. So the girl would be 15 or 16yrs old.

I think he was taking a vaccination. At least that makes the most sense with the quarantine warning.

I'm still wondering about the whole execute thing on the computer and hearing that Walt thing is pretty creepy!

I can hear

"Press the button... don't-------" everything after sounds like gibberish.

Maybe Desmond is controlling the "security system" of the island. Or at least just making sure it's still functioning... whatever it is.

This show just gets me so excited! heh So many mysteries and clues that just lead to more questions.

Also, Danielle, the French lady, her baby would be 16 now. Desmond looks a lot older than 16

Guest ranster627
Ooops, you're right. :blush: Thanks Ranster!

(I think I need to get through season 1 again... details have faded. ugh)

FYI after reading this I pinned all the episode summaries from Season 1 for people to review

4+8+15+16+23+42=108. The number on the wall. LOL, I was hoping somebody would catch that. I think Desmond was doing his "Race around the world" in a boat and either the "Others" attacked him and sunk his boat forcing him on to the island, or his boat crashed onto the island somehow and he found the place he was in. I think he brought a lot of items from his boat into the hatch. I think he was taking the medicine because he found the hatch saying quarantine and didn't want to take any chances. LOVE this show. Can't believe it took this long for somebody to come up with something that makes people think and entertain at the same time.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Lost

After the big Emmy win on Sunday night, I have to admit that a small part of me way in the back of my head was worried that something that started out so strong couldn't possibly live up to expectations. Boy, was I wrong. The sophomore premiere had me scratching my head, jumping off my couch and literally left me begging for more. Desmond? So creepy. When we first saw him prepping for his race around the world, I thought for sure he was just another guy who was stuck on the flight, maybe from another part of the plane, who had somehow survived. But he's a retro throwback who injects himself with a strange drug that bears those mysterious numbers and is living in a hatch that is labeled "quarantine." That just can't be good. But how is that possible? It looks like he's been living a '70s or '80s lifestyle, with the ancient computer and the vinyl record albums, but he met Jack just a few years prior at the stadium, right? Is he the reason Jack is there? Hmm; I think someone's got a lot of explaining to do. Hurley, on the other hand, spilled his guts to the good doctor, and a heck of a lot of good it did him. But at least he had the best quote of the night: "Life's not so bad, right? Sure the Others are coming to, like, eat us all, and every once in a while someone blows up all over you, but you get to sleep in every morning." Nice to know that even when he's totally freaked out, Hugo can keep his priorities straight. I'd expect no less from the golf-course creator.

For all my fellow numbers junkies out there, didja notice that in addition to the injection label, the speedometer on the bike was at 16 mph; when Desmond stopped the safe it looked like it was at 42; the mural on the wall had a painted 108 (the total of all the numbers added together) and that the older person who died in the accident with Jack's future wife passed on at 8:15? Still don't have a clue what it all means, but that's OK. Give me that breathless confusion at the end of each episode and I'm cool with being a little oblivious. But if anyone out there was able to figure out what Walt

Yah.. think she was the one that tossed the explosive onto the boat. Not sure but she was definetly on the boat with the others.

I don't think the french woman's child woul be that old. Seemed liek she got pregnant after they got on the island or about when they got on the island. So the girl would be 15 or 16yrs old.

I think he was taking a vaccination. At least that makes the most sense with the quarantine warning.

I'm still wondering about the whole execute thing on the computer and hearing that Walt thing is pretty creepy!

I can hear

"Press the button... don't-------" everything after sounds like gibberish.

Maybe Desmond is controlling the "security system" of the island. Or at least just making sure it's still functioning... whatever it is.

This show just gets me so excited! heh So many mysteries and clues that just lead to more questions.

As soon as I saw the computer I thought it was probably part of the security system Danielle had mentioned last season. But I don't get how Locke would know anything about it. Maybe he was just playing it safe when he told Jack not to press the button, he didn't actually know what the button did, he just assumed it was bad.

Does anyone else think Locke will end up siding with "the others"? I just see him as more of a bad guy than a good guy.

Not sure where to post this, but since it has to do with additional revelations from episode 1 (season 2), I decided to post it here (Jem and Ranster, you can move it where you see fit ;). They are not spoilers since the episodes have already aired, merely trying to put pieces of the puzzle together ):

Regarding the very good probability that the man who died from the car crash was Shannon Rutherford's father:

In this season opening episode, a nurse/doctor states: "Adam Rutherford, age 57, time of death 8:15".

In the season 1 episode "Hearts and Minds" during the flashback sequence when Boone confronts Brian (Shannon's boyfriend) and Shannon:

Boone says to Shannon- "You set me up".

Brian says to Boone- "She's just getting what she's owed. She told me your mom screwed Shannon over after her daddy died and kept all her father's money for herself. Sweet mom you got there."

HMMM...

Regarding Desmond's statement, "See you in another life, eh?"

In the season 1 episode "Solitary", Sayid tells Rousseau that the writing on the back of Nadia's photograph says, "see you in another lifetime, if not this one".

...and to a lesser extent, in a season 1 episode (Deux Ex Machina?): In a Locke flashback, Locke's father, Cooper, says, "see you on the other side" to Locke when they are preparing for surgery.

HMMM...

Now for a couple of things to throw out for discussion:

I love the fact that they've had several episodes begin by focusing on someone's eye:

Season 1, Pilot: Jack

Season 1, "Hearts and Minds": Boone

Season 2 "Man of Faith, Man of Science": Desmond

My question is, does anyone know of any other episodes that begin that way? I can probably go through my season 1 dvds and figure it out but it seemed faster and easier to ask it here ;) .

Second of all, Desmond's statement to Jack, "you've got to lift it up". Is really bugging me! I know it must have a two-fold meaning, and one that will probably come up in a future episode, but I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the statement.

Ok, I'm done... :rolleyes:

I love the fact that they've had several episodes begin by focusing on someone's eye:

Season 1, Pilot: Jack

Season 1, "Hearts and Minds": Boone

Season 2 "Man of Faith, Man of Science": Desmond

My question is, does anyone know of any other episodes that begin that way? I can probably go through my season 1 dvds and figure it out but it seemed faster and easier to ask it here ;) .

I am still not convinced that the eye at the beginning of Man of Faith is Desmond, since I am still not convinced that the guy at the beginning is Desmond... I am pretty sure that those are the only 3 ep's that start with an eye.

Second of all, Desmond's statement to Jack, "you've got to lift it up". Is really bugging me! I know it must have a two-fold meaning, and one that will probably come up in a future episode, but I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the statement.

I definately think it has a dual meaning. I mean that is a dumb thing for the writers to have Jack say "what" to and then have Desmond say it again... kwim?

Interesting observations on the whole "see you in the next life" - that phrase (or something like it) has been said a lot in this show.

As far as Shannon's father theory goes, I like it! I do NOT, however, agree with some rumors/theories that that was Locke on the table... that just doesn't add up (plus, imho, it doesn't look like him at all!)...

OK beddy bye for me... I'll try to pop on tomorrow, but if not, I'll be back on Weds or Monday (going to see Paul McCartney tomorrow B) and then going to Disney Thurs-Sun)

Lata gatas!

Lobby

Lobby

Please enter your display name