Michelle Rodriguez as Ana-Lucia

Jem

Michelle Rodriguez as Ana-Lucia

alexanderpreg.jpg

Of Puerto Rican and Dominican descent, Rodriguez was born in Bell County, TX, on July 12, 1978. She moved around throughout her childhood and adolescence, living for a time in Texas, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Jersey City, NJ. It was while she was working as an extra in various film productions that she answered Kusama's ad for actors; after being cast as Girlfight's protagonist, she trained intensively to condition her body like that of a boxer to such a degree that, at one point, she was even asked to go pro. Her dedication to the physical and emotional demands of her character paid off lavishly, when Girlfight premiered at the 2000 Sundance Film Festival it received the Grand Jury Prize, with Rodriguez's performance singled out as one of the most exciting breakthroughs in years; among the many kudos she subsequently received was the National Board of Review's prize for Best Breakthrough Performance.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lost" Gets Fresh Blood

By Marcus Errico

Looks like Jack, Sayid, Kate, et al. are getting some more company on mystery island.

ABC confirmed Monday that Michelle Rodriguez will join Lost's cast of castaways full-time next season. The news was first reported by E! Online TV columnist Krisitin Veitch. (This story contains possible spoilers, so consider yourself warned.)

In part one of last season's finale, Rodriguez's character, Ana-Lucia Cortez, was briefly shown in a flashback scene flirting with Matthew Fox's Jack in a Sydney airport bar before the ill-fated Oceanic flight 815 boarded. She and Jack compared seat assignments (Jack was in the middle of the plane, she was in the tail section) before she got a cellphone call and left him hanging.

Although ABC and Lost masterminds J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof won't say exactly in what capacity Rodriguez will be appearing, speculation is already rampant that she will not be relegated merely to flashbacks. Lost message boards are filling up with possible scenarios to explain her character's addition to the cast, with the leading theory being that, as some of the plane-crash survivors surmised during the first season, passengers in the tail section of the airliner landed on an as-yet unexplored nook of the island and will be reunited with the main ensemble in season two.

When last we left the show, which was one of the season's biggest rookie hits, averaging nearly 16 million viewers, Jack, Locke, Kate and Hurley had blasted opened the mysterious hatch and found...a long, dark passageway. Meanwhile, Michael, Walt, Jin and Sawyer's boat ride was interrupted by the less than neighborly "Others," a group of men who intercepted the raft, kidnapped the seemingly clairvoyant Walt, shot Sawyer and blew up the vessel. Michael was left treading water among the wreckage as Jin dove in to try to save Sawyer.

In an interview on Los Angeles' KROQ radio last week, Abrams said the raft crew will eventually make it back to the island, but come ashore away from the rest of their pals, possibly setting up the discovery of Rodriguez's character and perhaps other survivors. Abrams also suggested that one of the stars is unhappy with his current contract and will likely be killed off at the beginning of the second season and won't be featured in any further episodes, even in flashbacks. The producer didn't drop any hints, but, per message board speculation, the leading candidate appears to be Naveen Andrews, who plays Sayid.

Aside from the Rodriguez casting tidbit, the show's brain trust is throwing another bone to loyal fans to keep them occupied over the summer. A new Website has been launched for Lost's fictional Oceanic Airlines at Oceanic-Air.com, containing secret messages, behind-the-scenes info on the show and a trailer for season two. (Hint: Use Hurley's cursed numbers, if you dare.)

Rodriguez, 26, hit Hollywood's radar after her breakout performance in the Sundance hit Girlfight. She has also appeared in The Fast and the Furious, Blue Crush, Resident Evil and S.W.A.T. She recently wrapped the Wes Craven-produced horror flick Breed and a voice role in the Latin-themed animated film Sian Ka'an with Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina.

The first season of Lost will be available on DVD on Sept. 6, ahead of the debut of the second season, which will now air in the 9 p.m. slot on Wednesday.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

Great entrance to the current plot, but it so fell flat to me, the ole put a guard in the cell to find out what's going on thing is old and tired ... and I saw it coming ...

Loving the Lost Life: In case you hadn't heard, the best show on television is also the best place to work in television. Just ask the latest cast addition, Michelle Rodriguez, who has this to say of her new Hawaiian gig: "It's a big cast, so we have days off. I write. I hang out at my house in the North Shore. I stare at the ocean, watch the sun set, and I write some more."

Calgon, Damon Lindelof, take me away! Sounds exquisitely simplistic, does it not? And that's exactly what Michelle names as the single best thing about working on Lost: "It's back to the basics, man. I'm just tired of, like, reality. I'm tired of buildings. I'm tired of cities. I'm tired of cars. I'm tired of pollution. I'm tired of war. I'm tired of just chaos. It seems, like, cataclysmic everywhere you look in the news and stuff. It's just, like, I wanna go back to basics, you know? And I think this show takes you there, so it's kind of awesome."

What's more--defying all known laws of Hollywood ego-tripping and divadom--Rodriguez says the castmembers are actually nice and truly like one another. "They welcomed me with open arms," Michelle says. "I'm so happy about that. I was so scared 'cause, like, you know, I mean, it's like a family, you know? They're tight. They just sit around, play guitar, talk to each other, make jokes. You guys see each other like 12 hour days, dripping mud and sweat, so you'd better get along, 'cause if you don't, you're screwed!"

Source

Rodriguez Puts Films on Hold for 'Lost'

By John Crook

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Less than six years after exploding into the independent film world as the star of "Girlfight," sultry actress Michelle Rodriguez found herself wading through a dispiriting pile of scripts that cast her as either "the girlfriend" or "the girl who gets captured."

She decided to get "Lost" instead.

Rodriguez, who joined ABC's Emmy-winning Wednesday drama last week, says it wasn't hard for producers to convince her this was a high-quality TV series but she did have misgivings about whether joining a high-profile TV series might send the wrong message to Hollywood.

"TV makes you so easily accessible," says Rodriguez, 27. "You don't want to overexpose yourself in the wrong way, and that's what I was scared about. I didn't want people seeing me every week and not getting the right idea about my career and where it's going -- directors especially. I worried about that, because for an independent film career especially, they don't want someone who is as well-known as a TV star. But I just really trust these guys, and I'm like, 'OK, I'm holding on. Take me for a ride.' "

So far, she's still acting largely on faith. Her character, Ana-Lucia Cortez, was introduced last May in a three-minute flashback scene in the airport lounge, where she chatted with Jack (Matthew Fox), and we learned, among other things, that she held a seat in the rear of the doomed flight.

Ana-Lucia seemed very feminine and flirtatious in that flashback scene, but "Lost" fans are seeing a whole different side of the character this season. "She's a cornered animal, a total warrior: a fighter, take it down, matter-of-fact, all about survival," Rodriguez says of her character, who is living with another group of people on the island. "These people don't have a lot of the amenities that the people [in Jack's group] do, so they are constantly fighting for their survival."

The actress insists she has very little idea what lies in store for her character, but she looks forward to what may be an inevitable reunion with Fox's character. "I think that connection [between the 'old' and the 'new' Ana-Lucia] is going to come whenever my character finally meets Jack, because that's the only person she will recognize from the plane," Rodriguez says "That will call into question the whole issue of what kind of person she is really, because this whole barbarian side of her is definitely a self-defense mechanism. How will she feel when she sees Jack, who is someone she trusts? I have no idea what that will be like -- and having said all that, at this point, I don't even know if they are going to meet at all."

In fact, the actress claims to be unsure of whether she even qualifies as a new "series regular" on "Lost."

"It's still kind of up in the air, if only because the show itself is very unpredictable as far as how long anyone is going to last," she says, laughing. "I'm not comfortable suggesting that my character is more important than another one, because 'Lost' isn't that kind of show. Every week you focus on a different character, so it's like there is no 'lead.' Different characters take charge in different situations, but it's everybody's story."

While she waits to see how things play out for Ana-Lucia, Rodriguez is more than content to recharge her personal batteries on the North Shore of Hawaii, where she had spent four happy months while filming her 2002 movie "Blue Crush."

"Living on an island as beautiful as Oahu, I wouldn't want to live anywhere there is clutter or city life," Rodriguez says. "It's so beautiful out here. It's just peace. Even if I have to drive two hours to the studio, when it comes time to film flashback stuff, it's just paradise out here the rest of the time. Strip it all away and this is what you get.

"I love looking at an ocean that's alive, not stagnant. The waves in the winter are just amazing, and they give me energy. This is a place where you can just stop: stop partying, stop living crazy, stop answering your phone, focus on your work and just, like, regenerate. Some people can't stand it for more than two weeks, but they're also paranoid about social interaction."

That sounds a whole lot more laid-back than how she describes herself when she made her explosive big-screen starring debut in "Girlfight," playing driven female boxer Diana Guzman.

"At that time in my life, I actually was way more aggressive than that character," she says. "I had to downtone myself. I was in a very angry stage, didn't like anyone telling me what to do. I hated that I had been spat out into a system where I had to follow rules and guidelines. My teenage years, my misery of existence, lasted a lot longer than it does for most teens. Growing up, I was, 'Why am I here, and why are all these people trying to tell me what to do?' It was anger all the time, like one of those punk-rock kids you see on TV."

She pauses, then laughs. "Oh, honey, that's gone now. It was all part of growing up."

In her downtime, Rodriguez continues working on what she calls her passion project, a film for kids called "Dreamfighter."

"I have been working on it for about two years," she explains. "Think of it as 'Goonies' meets 'The Neverending Story' meets 'Constantine.' In this industry, most adult stuff just bores me. It always comes down to sex, jealousy, power, and it's just so boring. That's why I've been focusing on kids and wondering why so many kids have gotten so absorbed into this reality of today.

"It seems as if every kid I talk to has forgotten how to use his imagination. That's sad, and it's scary to me that there's only one movie out there for the kids to really lose themselves in a fantasia-land, and that's 'Harry Potter.' That's kind of pathetic. Where is our future going? I'd like to go around the world and talk to kids everywhere."

• 3 weeks later...

Michelle Rodriguez - The newest Lost star tells us what she's learned from lions, the business and Hasselhoff

By Monica Rizzo

She's played a boxer, a drag racer and a S.W.A.T. team member, so it should have come as no surprise when Michelle Rodriguez's Lost character turned out to be one tough castaway. In real life, the single actress, 27, is just as fearless and outspoken as the women she has played since her big-screen debut in 2000's Girlfight. She talked to PEOPLE about bratty Hollywood types, dropping out of business school and her childhood Knight Rider fantasies.

Were you a Lost fan before you joined the cast?

I loved the show. Lost is like watching a movie that keeps going and going. The only thing that I hate is that it has that soap opera "To Be Continued ..." thing. I always want a show to be over when the screen says "The End."

How did you feel about moving to Hawaii?

It was scary, but at the same time, I'm a gypsy. I can't spend more than three months anywhere. That's the scary part to me: I'm actually going to have a 9-to-5

• 3 weeks later...

All I have to say is.. after tonight's episode... the writers REALLY don't want people liking Ana at all.

First.. they have her attack one of the most popular characters, Sawyer. THEN in this episode they have her yet again attacking another fav character Sayid.

Good freakin lord.. why not just put a sign on top of her head that says "HATE HER".

Even though she was uber obnoxious this episode.. I still like her.

She's going to bring a whole different element to the show which is gonna be nice. And I'm still hoping she kicks Kate's ass!

I know that would just make all of teh Kate worshippers hate her even more but that would put her right up there with Hurley on my fav chars list :D lol

I guess I'm of the minority opinion, yet again, but, I can't stand Ana-Lucia. I thought I remembered reading on one of these threads that after we get her back story we would all "understand" her better and like her more... WRONG! Made me like her even less. However, I will say that towards the end of last night's show I did have a glimmer of hope that I would like her... because I want to... she's such a dang good actress that I want to like this character. And, even though I don't care for this character... I agree with everyone that says they hope she kicks Kate's behind... cause Kate needs a good smack down. :o

Kate does not need a smack down and Ana Lucia's character is not of the same standard of the other main characters. She's a loud obnoxious, trigger happy, bitch who no one will like because she's a bitch. And I totally disagree that she's a good actor. She's not. And she's not even hot looking either. In fact she's quite ugly. Can't stand her. Hope they realize the mistake they made and kill her off.

Kate does not need a smack down and Ana Lucia's character is not of the same standard of the other main characters. She's a loud obnoxious, trigger happy, bitch who no one will like because she's a bitch. And I totally disagree that she's a good actor. She's not. And she's not even hot looking either. In fact she's quite ugly. Can't stand her. Hope they realize the mistake they made and kill her off.
Well I do agree that Ana Lucia is not the same standard as the other main parts and I think she'll get "killed" off the show but, not because they think they made a mistake but, because there is only one "badass" girl on Lost and I think that Kate will keep that part.

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name