Biggest Loser 2

Guest ranster627

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Insider

Biggest Loser 2's Big Gender War

by Rochell D. Thomas

The Battle of the Bulge will become a Battle of the Sexes on The Biggest Loser 2.

When NBC's hit weight-loss competition returns on August 9, chubby contestants will be divided into two seven-member teams with fitness guru Bob Harper training the women and Jillian Michaels working with the men.

The male-vs.-female gimmick fit The Apprentice, but on this reality show, it's a twist that some fear will give the guys an unfair advantage. "There's this myth out there that men lose weight faster and better than women," says executive producer Dave Broome. "We're going to test that myth."

Actually, it's not a myth. It's a fact. Thanks to years of research, weight-loss experts know that most male bodies burn more calories than female bodies because men have more lean muscle mass. "Lean muscle tissue is the driving force for metabolism," explains Dr. James M. Rippe, author of Weight Watchers Weight Loss That Lasts. "So men do start with a certain advantage."

In an attempt to level the playing field during the three months contestants work out on Biggest Loser's fitness farm, producers will compare percentages rather than pounds. "Let's say the men's team starts at 2000 lbs. collectively and the women start at 1500," Broome says. "For the men to lose 10 percent of their body weight, they'd have to lose 200 lbs. For the women to lose the same 10 percent, they only have to lose 150."

That sounds like a good plan to Kelly Minner, the only woman among last season's four finalists. But, she cautions, because women tend to retain water around the time of their menstrual cycle, the ladies of Season 2 will still need to be in top form. "Be strict 100 percent of the time with the diet and exercise," advises Minner, who has lost 82 lbs. "You can't be lax if you want to compete in this game."

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Did anybody else watch the premiere of Biggest Loser 2 last night? I didn't watch the first season, so I don't know what to expect from the show, but I enjoyed the first episode.

One question ... who prepares the daily meals for the contestants? Do they get to chose their own menu?

I watched 1 show and it was all I can take. Some of these people are too young to let themselves be so disgustingly out of shape. I know I'll get hell for saying that but I find it ridiculous that people have to be paid as a motivating factor to lose weight and get healthy` and to boot if you can't lose an insane amount by weeks end your kicked off by your fellow fatties.

I find nothing inspirational about this show in fact I think it's degrading. Parading around in bathing suits and the guys without their shirts seems kinda like the producers are humilitating them as none of them look comfortable doing it. Plus what's with all the pastry shelves everywhere they sit???-Say what you want about this show I personally think this show sucks IMO.

I loved this show last year and continue my love affair with it this year.

If you want to see what last years cast is doing and keep track of this years losses, www.nbc.com has The Biggest Loser web site up. It has great recipes and fitness links too.

I now eat Jell-o on Tuesdays for Biggest Loser, Pringles on Thursdays for Survivor and am trying to come up with something for Amazing Race. Anyong have an idea for me? lol

I now eat Jell-o on Tuesdays for Biggest Loser, Pringles on Thursdays for Survivor and am trying to come up with something for Amazing Race. Anyong have an idea for me? lol

Trail Mix, maybe...?

If someone should come back into this thread I have a few questions.

I know this show was on before (another season) does anyone know if the people who lost weight were able to keep it off?

Why would they want to take those people to the Cheesecake Factory? - I thought that was cruel. I know that they have to learn to eat right, but they're on a deadline and need to lose weight weekly.

I missed the first few minutes and the last 25 minutes, but why were they hating on Suzie?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

If someone should come back into this thread I have a few questions.

I know this show was on before (another season) does anyone know if the people who lost weight were able to keep it off?

Why would they want to take those people to the Cheesecake Factory? - I thought that was cruel. I know that they have to learn to eat right, but they're on a deadline and need to lose weight weekly.

I missed the first few minutes and the last 25 minutes, but why were they hating on Suzie?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

See Dade's post above re: updates on last season's losers on nbc.com

As for last night, they were hating Suzie because they had a temptation challenge which she won. They each had a bunch of little milkshakes in shot glasses in front of them. They were in booths so they couldn't see what everyone else was doing. The person to drink the most shots in the time allotted won the challenge. The prize was to have a personal celebrity chef prepare all meals (low calorie, healthy meals) for the winner and one other person of their choosing for the entire week, instead of having to order out like everybody else. Nobody drank any of their milkshake shots, except for Suzie, who drank 48 of them (which worked out to almost 2000 calories). Suzie chose Ryan as the person to have the meals with her.

And as you missed the last 25 minutes, I will tell you that the girls won the weigh-in -- Suzie and Ryan had the biggest weight losses in their team. The guys voted off Nick, who exited as a very sore loser and in his follow-up clip, he said that going on Biggest Loser was the worst thing he's ever done. He wouldn't say how much he weighs now and to me he looked bigger than when he was on the show.

See Dade's post above re: updates on last season's losers on nbc.com

As for last night, they were hating Suzie because they had a temptation challenge which she won. They each had a bunch of little milkshakes in shot glasses in front of them. They were in booths so they couldn't see what everyone else was doing. The person to drink the most shots in the time allotted won the challenge. The prize was to have a personal celebrity chef prepare all meals (low calorie, healthy meals) for the winner and one other person of their choosing for the entire week, instead of having to order out like everybody else. Nobody drank any of their milkshake shots, except for Suzie, who drank 48 of them (which worked out to almost 2000 calories). Suzie chose Ryan as the person to have the meals with her.

And as you missed the last 25 minutes, I will tell you that the girls won the weigh-in -- Suzie and Ryan had the biggest weight losses in their team. The guys voted off Nick, who exited as a very sore loser and in his follow-up clip, he said that going on Biggest Loser was the worst thing he's ever done. He wouldn't say how much he weighs now and to me he looked bigger than when he was on the show.

Thank you Twister..after this I am going to the website.

So even though Suzie won the prize it was a bad thing to drink the shakes, right, because then her team can't lose as much? I saw her crying and that is why I was confused, but if I am going to watch this show I think I better go to the website and see what's going on.

Again, I appreciate the time you took to reply. I don't watch a heck of alot of these type shows, but I am looking for another show to get into. :)

I went to the website and wow - those people from the last show look good. Of course, some lost more weight and toned up better than others, but all in all, they look trim and fit. Another observation - sometimes when people lose a lot of weight they tend to look older - drawn out, but the last show's people looked younger than their before pics. I think this show is not bad, I will give it another try. :)

LOL suds that was funny!!!!!

I was soooooooo glad that Nick was voted out, Matt was shaking he was so worried about losing a friend and then Nick made the comment about not having anything to say. Glad Matt saw it as a good thing Nick is gone immediately after that comment. Add to that the fact that Nick looks like he has gained weight and complained about the show being the worst thing in his live and I am wishing he went first instead of Ruben.

Makes me wonder why he even applied for the show and if he watched it last year....if he had he would have known the trainers are hard on them.

I too wish it hadn't been Ryan but I think she could handle the pressure of the outside world better then the rest of them at this point in the game. And her after clip showed that she did a great job....55 lbs lost total, 30 on the show and 25 since.

I just hope that the girls pull magic out of someones hat and pull themselves together or the guys are going to tromp their butts. The girls that worked out with Matt saw how the guys worked together and realized just how lacking in team effort they have been.

Glad to see the ladies get things together and win a reward challeng...those family videos always make me cry.

Wow Drea really was looking good...nice to see her come in and chat with the girls. All the ones from last season look great.

Suzanne was a good one to go home...I feel she caused some friction for the others. Also she handled the leave well and lost alot of weight after the she left....from 219-159...WOW.

One of the contestants said "He was too young to die of a heart attack" and all the others are agreeing with each other about yes he was too young. So was it a previous contestant or the trainer Bob since he was not seen in any of the preview video. The preview said it would shake up the whole show. Should be interesting. My guess is that it could be Nick one of the men eliminated a month or so ago.

I don't think it was a previous contestant or Bob, I think it was a family member or friend and he/ she just got the news.

Last night I was really noticing the changes in these guys. There are a few less chins, rolls, and smaller guts.

I find some aspects of this show rather degrading sometimes. But then again, I realize that the contestants on this show are not there, hoping to break into show business, like some other reality shows.

And it seems like most of them do come away with something positive. Even though they don't win the big prize, they win something more valuable--- a healthy change in lifestyle, which results in a generally more positive outlook on life. So I guess it's all good. I'm not really clear on their temptations though. If they do something they really shouldn't, they win something good. Seems like a really mixed message to me.

Winning "something good" is a relative term. What is good? The message is "would you rather take this money" or "would you rather keep working at your goal and reap the benefits long after money is gone"??

When no one is tempted to take the money, then the message will have been gotten!

Me? I'd take the money, buy some twinkies & enjoy the day!

Can someone please post the before and after photos of Suzanne and Jen....I missed the last two shows and when I try to pull up the video on NBC's webpage it just says loading.... (but it never loads, unless it takes an hour to download???)

Thanks~!

go to http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser/ it has not only the before and afters of all the eliminated contestants but last years as well. There is a part where you can see how much weight each person has lost total to date and per week.

It aslo has some great recipes and excercise tips and photos of other ppl that have lost weight.