Survivor Repeats

Guest QW

according to 'the futon critic' the rights to air Survivor repeats has been made

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 4:44 PM

Development Update: May 27-31

By The Futon Critic Staff

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- The latest development news, culled from recent wire reports:

SURVIVOR (CBS) - Cable channel Outdoor Life Network has scored the off-network repeat rights to the veteran reality franchise. Networks reps and creator/executive producer Mark Burnett are expected to make a joint announcement today detailing the news. No premiere date or financial details were given however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Matt

Question: I read with interest the comment about reality repeats on cable networks, specifically The Amazing Race on GSN. I've been rewatching Survivor on OLN (it's up to Australia now) and have been really enjoying it. Even though I know who goes home and what drama is about to ensue, the pleasure of rewatching these episodes comes from the players themselves. It is striking to me how much Survivor has changed since its inception. Borneo and Australia focus heavily on the people, their relationships with each other, the conflicts, and the real physical struggle to survive. The most recent seasons of Survivor have lost that element. They focus so heavily on the contrived challenges that you end up feeling like you don't even know the players until halfway through the season. Now that Survivor and Amazing Race are repeating on cable, will the producers pick up on the things that made the shows great in the first place and go back to those roots? The Amazing Race is still a fantastic show, but I'm a little worried about the "softness" of the family edition; and Survivor seems always to be looking for some new twist to keep the show fresh.

Matt Roush: I find it hard to imagine that the cable viewership of repeats will have any impact on the way the shows are heading into the future. Survivor in particular seems compelled to promote new twists to make noise in one of TV's most competitive time periods (surviving Thursday night, that's the real challenge). And while Survivor's last season, with the ever-dwindling tribe fading into nothingness, fascinated me with its object lesson in tribal decimation, you make some great points about what lured us into these shows in the first place: the players and their stories of survival. Some seasons are better cast than others, that's a fact, but when you think back to those personalities from Survivor's early days, you do begin to wonder if the show itself hasn't become the star lately.

Has anyone from Mortys actually seen any of the old survivors on OLN???I looked on the day the first show was suppose to be on and I didnt see it on at all.I just figured that I got wrong information and it wasn't on after all.I will most definatly be looking to see if its on.It says it's on mon-thurs 7pm-10pm est.