TV Producer Aaron Spelling

nebartist

imageNYET36906212033.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Aaron Spelling, a onetime movie bit player who turned to television production to create a massive number of hit series from the vintage Charlie's Angels to Beverly Hills 90210, died Friday, his publicist said.

He was 83. Spelling died at his home in Los Angeles after suffering a stroke June 18, said publicist Kevin Sasaki.

Spelling's other hit series included Dynasty, Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Melrose Place, Burke's Law, The Mod Squad, Starsky and Hutch, T.J. Hooker, Matt Houston, Hart to Hart and Hotel. He kept his hand in 21st-century TV with series including 7th Heaven and Summerland.

He also produced more than 140 television movies. Among the most notable: Death Sentence (1974), Nick Nolte's first starring role; The Boy in the Plastic Bubble (1976), John Travolta's first dramatic role, as a boy born without immunities whose life is spent in isolation; The Best Little Girl in the World (1981), which starred Jennifer Jason Leigh as a teenaged anorexic.

AWW this is sad. i loved his work. He will be missed. If they ever do a 90210 or melrose place movie or reunion it will never be the same by his passing. This one is sad specifically because ive seen alot of the stuff he has done. Heck they filmed melrose place right by my house. I never actually met him but he seemed like a great guy. His death and john ritters death have both saddend me because i was such a fan of there work. RIP Aaron spelling. BTW quick change of subject but when was there a seperate thread for obituaries whoever did that i find very crafy.

lat_small_BW_logo.jpg

Tribute

TV Prolific Producer Aaron Spelling

by Brian Lowry, Special to The Times

spelling_pipe.jpg

Aaron Spelling

Aaron Spelling, one of the most prolific as well as the one of the wealthiest producers in television history, died on Friday, June 23 of complications from a stroke he suffered last Sunday, according to his publicist, Kevin Sasaki. He was 83. Spelling passed away at his Holmby Hills mansion with his wife, Candy, and son, Randy, at his bedside.

Although seldom a darling of critics, Spelling had a knack for tapping into the public's taste for light entertainment. He was associated with a dizzying roster of commercial successes, including such long-running series as "Dynasty," "The Love Boat," "Fantasy Island," "Charlie's Angels," "Melrose Place," "Beverly Hills, 90210" and "7th Heaven."

"For a person of such fame, you would marvel at how unassuming, kind and gentle he was," said Sumner Redstone, chairman of Viacom Inc. and CBS Corporation. Redstone said he was not surprised by his friend's death. He and his wife, Paula, had taken the Spellings out for dinner recently.

The Redstones hosted the Spellings at The Grill for Aaron's birthday a couple of weeks ago. "He was more frail than usual," Redstone told The Times on Friday. "We called Candy yesterday