Miss Canada named Miss Universe 2005

salter-path

canada0pa.jpg

Miss Canada Natalie Glebova is pictured in an evening gown during the final round of the Miss Universe 2005 competition at Impact Arena in Bangkok, Thailand Tuesday, May 31, 2005. Miss Canada won the title in the finals. (AP Photo/Rungroj Yongrit-Pool)

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Miss Universe

First, what was up with the Miss Universe pageant being presented at 8 am Thai time? No one looks that good that early in the morning. Airing this live was really that important? And second, Miss Venezuela totally got robbed by Miss Canada. All right, the South American beauty queen did completely flub the interview portion, but she was the only one who got a political question, and besides, she rocked that ugly-as-sin bikini they were forced to wear and had the most stylish evening gown of all. When they decide to launch "The World's Next Top Model," she should totally try out. And not to sound all unpatriotic on Memorial Day weekend, but I was baffled by Miss USA's inclusion in the Top 15 and then the Top 10

4ONY@UKP81V,V]V~VV2FQ.jpg

Toronto woman crowned 'Miss Universe'

CTV.ca News Staff

A 23-year-old Canadian named Natalie Glebova has been crowned Miss Universe 2005 -- becoming only the second Canadian to win the competition.

"I am absolutely thrilled and overwhelmed right now," Glebova told CTV's Canada AM on Tuesday, in a phone interview from the Thai capital of Bangkok where the pageant was held.

"I can't believe this happened. I'm so happy. It's fantastic."

Glebova, a model and Ryerson University grad from Toronto, was picked over runner-up Cynthia Olavarria of Puerto Rico after answering a question about what she thought her biggest challenge in life had been.

"I always try to maintain a positive outlook on life,'' she said, adding that being optimistic was most challenging.

It was a big win for Glebova, who said she only watched the Miss Universe pageant for the first time about three years ago.

"I really didn't expect a whole lot out of this. I just went in to have a good time and kind of see what happens, and I turned out the winner," she said.

Glebova was born in Russia and moved to Canada with her parents when she was 12. In addition to modelling, she also studied information technology management at Ryerson.

She is a trained pianist and composer. According to the Miss Universe website, she says her most unusual talent "is being able to read upside down just as well right-side up."

"This (question) was seen by the judges and I thought I have to put something a little more unusual than just playing a musical instrument," Glebova said.

"Because, you know, a lot of people have that talent. But I would say definitely one of my talents is music. I love to play and compose."

She said she planned to use her role as Miss Universe to raise awareness and money for HIV/AIDS research.

Karen Baldwin of London, Ont., was the first Canadian to win the Miss Universe contest, in 1982.

With files from The Canadian Press

Guest ranster627

I liked her reference to the American contestant myself, as it has long been said that it seems there is "always an American" in the final 10 ... but since I didn't watch the show, I cannot make an opinion about these particular contestants ...

Angel is often a very witty and insightful writer, get the idea I read too many Water Coolers? :wink:

Lobby

Lobby

Please enter your display name