Beauty and The Geek

salter-path

geekresized5ii.jpg

It all starts with seven women who are academically impaired. Next, add seven men who are brilliant but socially challenged. The concept is to pair up couples for a chance to win a $250,000 grand prize. Each mismatched pair competes in various activities designed to test intellect, fashion savvy and even dance moves.

There's a spelling bee for the girls, massage lessons for the guys, and an introduction to actual rocket science when the girls compete to see who can build a working rocket. During these competitions, the geek must try to pass his brains onto the beauty, while the beauty tries to pull the game out of the geek. They're so far apart on the social spectrum that they're practically different species, but if they make it to the end, they could both walk away gifted and gorgeous.

Meet the Beauties and the Geeks here

'Beauty and the Geek' Reflects Both Sides of Kutcher

By Jacqueline Cutler

ashtonkutcherbeautyandthegeek2.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Of all the words that jump to mind when Ashton Kutcher's name is mentioned, "geek" is not among them. Yet the hunky star swears he was one, which helps him as co-producer of The WB's "Beauty and the Geek," premiering Wednesday, June 1. The reality show, which could easily devolve into a humiliation festival, is surprisingly sweet. Seven women, who fill out bikinis perfectly and actually say a silver dollar is worth 50 cents, are paired with seven guys who aced their SATs yet are clueless in the ways of women and the world. One guy, Joe, says he is a virgin but is not saving himself for anyone. Another, Richard, says he has never kissed a woman; there is no reason to doubt him. He makes Jerry Lewis at his zaniest look like Cary Grant at his suavest.

It seems improbable that one of Hollywood's hotties could be simpatico with this crew, but Kutcher seems sincere. Although he now is 6 feet 3 inches tall, in high school, "I was the very, very little kid," Kutcher says. "I wrestled at 103 pounds freshman year of high school." "I don't think anybody feels like they belong," Kutcher says of the teen years. "You watch these supermodels, and they always say, 'I was a dork in high school.' " And so Kutcher, who produces this reality show with Jason Goldberg, co-producer of "Punk'd" and "Guess Who," says he relates to the guys. The men, including a medical-school student and "The Dukes of Hazzard" fan club president, are paired with women who work as a lingerie model and an NBA dancer. "You take two extremely opposite groups of people and make them work together," Goldberg says. "We kept calling it a social experiment."

The premise is that each side can teach the other something. And so the guys, many of whom may have last danced with an aunt at a family wedding, learn to dance with partners whose hips are constantly in motion. The women, who apparently never suffer the pangs of modesty, dress suggestively as they struggle with fifth-grade geography and spelling. It's doubtful Kutcher completely relates to the women, at least intellectually. After wrestling at 119 pounds as a senior, Kutcher went on to study biochemical engineering at the University of Iowa. "It's something like genetic engineering," he says, "anything based upon manipulating the outcome of chemical interaction." Despite dropping out to become a model in New York, then heading west to act, Kutcher retains an interest in the sciences. "I love it when Demi's girls come to me with genetics projects and chemistry," he says, referring to the children of girlfriend Demi Moore. "I love that stuff. I try to keep sharp on it -- just in case." In case this acting business doesn't pan out? "I don't know," he says, laughing.

Kutcher shouldn't harbor career worries. In the past couple of months, he starred in two movies, "Guess Who" and "A Lot Like Love," produced the WB show and bowed out of the program that launched his career, "That '70s Show." After seven years, it was tough to leave his cast mates, and they remain pals. "I just had lunch with Wilmer," Kutcher says of co-star Valderrama.

The one place he doesn't leave that much is his house, Kutcher says. The paparazzi, determined to chronicle every moment with Moore, stalk him, so he stays in. Here's a challenge: Find a pop-culture magazine that doesn't feature a photograph of them. Their relationship even produced a new term, "getting a piece of Ash," which women of a certain age use to refer to dating a younger man.

It isn't just women taking estrogen supplements who fancy him. Kutcher is a teen idol, and he says they are better fans. "I find that teenagers and younger kids are more respectful than adults," he says. "Kids are happy to see you and get an autograph. Parents get offended if you don't have time for them. People get upset. They feel if you are outside your house, that they have a right to get a picture or an autograph. Kids are a lot more respectful. They are just happy to say hello."

While home, Kutcher stays busy ... busy enough to be tired on a recent morning because he stayed up late rewriting a screenplay. He reads a lot and is juggling about six books. He also is studying kabbalah, the mystical branch of Judaism, taking it seriously enough to learn some Hebrew. Some believe if you study kabbalah before 40, you can go mad. "It's like someone saying to you, 'Don't learn how to drive a car; you could get into an accident.' Yeah, you could," Kutcher says. "You could also free yourself in a gigantic way." Kutcher, 27, definitely is freeing himself. Among his goals is finishing college. "I probably wouldn't get a biochemical engineering degree," he says. Instead, he may aim for a liberal arts degree, possibly in writing. "You create a structure and an idea," he says of storytelling, "and computers spell-check." Additional goals, which he acknowledges "sound weird," include traveling. "I want to go to outer space," he says. "I think it would be pretty cool. I want to go and give water to a lot of people who don't have fresh, clean running water. And I want to make a large push for peace on Earth."

Guest ranster627

Well, I must admit, I was surprised to see this is going to be a show ... looks like the creativity factor for new reality is lagging ... anyone looking forward to this one?

Great Posts Salter!

I watched and it was alright. The casting was good in that they didn't get guys too geeky and girls too bitchy. So this show has the best of both worlds in that it has hot girls and "normal everyday people" a lot of posters complain about reality shows lack. But man those girls were a lot dumber than the guys were clueless. Will watch it again.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

050602water.jpg

Beauty and the Geek

A Geek's View:

Put a smart misfit into humiliating situations each week, throw in a bevy of mean hotties, add some disingenuous flirtation and a big cash prize and you have perhaps the greatest reality show ever. But enough about Paradise Hotel. As a bona fide geek (my comic-book collection and bespectacled mug speak for themselves), I was hoping that executive producer Ashton Kutcher's "social experiment" would prove to be a worthy successor to the sort of wish-fulfillment fantasy that marked Boston Dave's reign of supremacy over the forces of shallowness.

However, I found it unexpectedly hard to sympathize with my supposed brethren on B&TG. For starters, at least half of them are actually in the ballpark of attractiveness by any reasonable (i.e., non-Hollywood) standards. Granted, Richard is a Frankenstein's monster of dork proportions, but his unnatural physicality and Woody Allenesque mannerisms are so exaggerated (who says "agog" in conversation?) that one can only suspect it's all a put-on for the cameras.

Nor can I relate to any so-called nerds who are as clueless about entertainment as this bunch, especially Eric, the computer programmer who's totally ignorant about pop music. C'mon, who do you think invented iPods and illegal file-sharing? Hint: not Ashton Kutcher. And while I want to appreciate Bill's obsession with The Dukes of Hazzard (if he's the VP of the fan club, I'd love to see the actual president), his presence on this show smacks of pure product placement

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE:

ROUSH RAVE

I love WB's Beauty and the Geek (Wednesdays, 8 pm/ET) because it's not a dating show and, unlike NBC's icky Average Joe, it's not hiding a humiliating twist down the road to surprise and degrade the players. This entertaining concoction from Punk'd duo Ashton Kutcher and Jason Goldberg teams socially awkward geniuses (one whose nose bleeds when stressed) with pretty but shallow bombshells, each coaching the other

Guest ranster627

Beauty and the Geek

Are the challenges on this show designed solely to get the women into skimpy outfits? And wasn't it a little weird that Bill The Dukes of Hazzard fanboy seemed more excited by the Daisy Duke shorts than the teeny bikinis? Thankfully, Ashton and Co. decided to have the guys keep their clothes on. It actually looks like the actor's social experiment is working, as Erika realized how superficial she'd been about dating after meeting her new fling, Brad

Guest ranster627

Beauty and the Geek

Tonight the show got back to basics with its "geeky" challenge with rocket science for the girls and a fashion test for the guys. But why is it that the girls always seem to have to compete in both parts regardless? In the first episode they had to dance with their partners, last week they were in teeny bikinis and subjected to massages, and this time they had to model the outfits that the guys picked out for them. Is it just a gratuitous way to get them in tiny clothes? Or is this somehow helping the geeks? Wait, not sure I want to know the answer to that question, especially with the way Shawn was drooling over his partner Scarlet. Which surprisingly didn't seem to bother Chuck who was letting his fingers do the walking when trying to woo the pretty Latina. Richard? I don't even know where to go with him, he's so out there. I can't believe that Mindi spooned him. Ack! They should win just for that. Scantily clad Krystal and Brad with the cold sore on his lip were sent home (Eww... He is Erika's dream man? Wait, did she give that to him or vice versa?) But their ouster does mean one good thing: an appalled look on Caitilin's face when the

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Entertainment News

GEEK CHIC: WB has ordered a second season of Beauty and the Geek. Since debuting last month, the Ashton Kutcher-produced reality series has consistently won its time period among its core 18- to 34-year-old demo.

That Richard is soooooo obnoxious that I can't handle watching this show no more. When your fellow geeks think you're a big geek than that just takes you to a new stratosphere of geekdom. Too bad they cast one guy that refuses to change and follow the premise and in turn ruin a show that could have been pretty good.... but now I'm finished for this season. Maybe next season they will be a little more careful in casting.

I think the Chuck Richard fued is only a small aspect of it for me, It's Richards childish antics and being generally obnoxious around everyone. I think this show is about self improvement and everyone has done so except Richard..in fact I think he's getting worse. Even Chucks nose has stopped bledding. Just my opinion.

Guest ranster627

Beauty and the Geek

My family affectionately calls me the fashion police (well, I think it's affectionately anyway), so how appropriate that I'd get to write about the makeover episode? And it proved what I've always thought

Guest ranster627

Beauty and the Geek

My DVR let me down. I checked it twice before leaving the house to make sure the season pass was working, but lo and behold, it didn't record. OK, maybe it wasn't all technology's fault; Mother Nature and a pesky thunderstorm might have had a little something to do with knocking out the power while the show was on. I feel so helpless with TV stuff out of my control, much like I'm sure both the Beauties and the Geeks felt while they were roughing it in the great outdoors. The mere idea of Richard in the wilderness makes me giggle; the promos alone had me cracking up. I was forced to call my friend Julie, who kindly informed me the

Who won the finale tonight? Did anyone watch?

Who won the finale tonight? Did anyone watch?

Funny you asked about this one! I was just about to ask the same thing! Don't you hate the time zone difference? And I thought I was the only one who liked to hear the results ahead of time! LOL! Please East Coast posters . . . let us know! :lol:

Guest ranster627

Beauty and the Geek

Caitilin and Chuck may be the big winners, but after watching tonight's finale, to me Chuck seems like a dud who hasn't really learned much from the experience. He was grouchy and seemed unwilling to accept people (like Richard) and their differences; the only way he was able to pick up girls was to pretend that he was gay; and he basically pouted when his gal pal Scarlet got ousted. He hardly made an effort in the kitchen when Caitilin was trying to teach him to cook, and ignored her obvious discomfort when it came to being physically threatened. In fact, did it seem to anyone else that she was a little too excited to hit him in the stomach as hard as she could? They earned the cash by being a strong team, obviously paying attention to each other's stories, and he did remember how to spell her impossible name

I have to say' date=' Chuck looked HOT! :P

[b']Amen! Although I always thought he was pretty fine. I admit it . . . I'm a geek lover! I love a man with brains and a sense of humor (unfortunately, Chuck still needs a little more help in that area). I thought his compliment to Richard was heartfelt although Richard looked like he thought Chuck was insulting him again. I really do feel Chuck appreciates Richard's sense of humor.

Speaking of Richard . . . that boy got some major face sucking time so I think it's time he drops the 'never been kissed' routine. How many of the ladies made out with him? He fought off one of them that generously offered up her lips. Even Mindi finally had to pony up and pay the piper! 11_7_105v.gif

No need to worry if you missed it tonight. They're going to repeat it tomorrow night one hour later. On the West Coast, it's at 9 p.m. Check your local listings for times and channel.