Rescue Me

TwinkleToes

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Ausiello

Question: What's the shocker in the first 10 minutes of the new season of Rescue Me? Violent death?

Ausiello: MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!

Yes, a major character bites it. But, alas

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Rescue Me

As regular fans know, the title of this show applies even more to Tommy than it does to the people he and his cohorts pull out of burning buildings. But "rescue" is a relative term, and it depends pretty heavily on how your friends decide to go about it. When I was a younger and more out-of-control lad hanging with people even more out of control than myself, we had a basic guy understanding: If you act like an ass and refuse to change your ways no matter how many warning signals your buddies send your way, one of them may just take it upon himself to punch you. Hard. In the face. And it usually does the trick, especially once you've had the time to let the pain work its magic and reflect on why someone who ostensibly likes you would go that route.

So it goes with Tommy, who doesn't get punched enough. (At least not yet.) But before things go that far, we get to see Kenny jump into Tommy's truck to give him an update, which turns into an obscenity-filled tirade. A classic scene. Then it's on to Tommy's new cursing-free Staten Island firehouse (until he gets there, anyway), which I have a hard time swallowing since Staten Island's still a New York borough after all, not some God-fearing hickville, and if you live within the city limits and don't cut loose with a good F-bomb now and then, they seriously consider making you move. It's, like, a rule. But again, I like this show, so I don't care. Anyway, it's a funny story point, and Tommy's mega-vs.-ultra slap-fight scene in the diner with Johnny and cousin Eddie redeems it. Which is where my aforementioned face-punching rule comes into play. When Johnny finally knocks Tommy around and cuts him off, I can't blame him. Nor can I blame Sheila for getting mad at him for drinking while they're messing around. Or for kneeing him in the groin. Or for exposing his illegal sublet. Matter of fact, I can't blame anyone for putting a hurting on Tommy, especially since they can't begin to match the job he does on himself. Gonna be a good season, kids.

I just watched last weeks episode again, and maybe someone can help clarify something for me.

When Tommy was speaking w/ his cousing the priest he asked him if he was thrown out of the priesthood or if he took an early retirement. His cousin answered, a little of both. Was he kicked out for telling Kenny about Tommy's affair w/ Sheila??

I could be wrong but I remember the priest fighting outside of the church with Tommy and the priest is also an alcoholic so that may have something to do with it. Isn't intresting how quickly after leaving the priesthood he's got a women in his room? Hmmm.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Insider

050628insider1.jpg

Rescue Me's Fiery Females

by Bruce Fretts

The words "Rescue Me" would have had an entirely different meaning for Diane Farr if she'd auditioned for Desperate Housewives. "I told my agent, 'No, I'd really be terrified to be with that many actresses at once,'" Farr says. "Boys are so much easier."

Denis Leary and his fellow firemen may dominate FX's dramedy, but their female costars rival the ladies of Wisteria Lane for sheer fierceness. In addition to Farr, who plays Laura, the fire crew's sole distaff member, three other actresses have major roles this season: Callie Thorne as 9/11 widow Sheila, who's expecting a baby with Leary's Tommy Gavin, her late husband's cousin; Andrea Roth as Tommy's ex-wife Janet, who's run off with their children; and Ashlie Atkinson as Theresa, a self-confident, sexy, plus-size woman carrying on a torrid affair with FDNY hottie Mike, aka "the Probie" (Michael Lombardi). "These women have depth," says Thorne, a veteran of Homicide: Life on the Street and The Wire. "We're not just blowup dolls."

Cocreators Leary and Peter Tolan started fleshing out the females after being shocked by the number of women who tuned in to the raunchy boys-club antics on Rescue Me last summer. "For women, the idea of a sexy fireman is a fantasy," Roth says. "They're these strong, manly men rescuing you."

But that's not the only thing attracting female viewers. "Women may start to watch because it's eye candy," says Atkinson, who recently starred in Neil LaBute's award-winning off-Broadway play Fat Pig. "Then the story lines and character development and complexity of the relationships really get them."

This season's story lines will definitely heat up for the actresses. Among the developments: Sheila frantically tries to keep Tommy, but he reunites with Janet. The romance between Theresa and Mike takes a dark turn, and Laura breaks FDNY code by hooking up with fellow firefighter Franco (Daniel Sunjata).

And, in Farr's case at least, the action has proven to be as demanding physically as emotionally. "I have to carry 65 lbs. of gear," she says. "I only weigh about a buck-twenty-five, so that's over half my body weight. I was in acupuncture and seeing a chiropractor twice a week while we were shooting."

Now the show's other women want to get in on some action. "Yeah, man, I'd love to have a big, old-school, hair-pulling catfight with Andrea," Thorne says. "That would be such a gas." Maybe she should have auditioned for Desperate Housewives.

Yo crackers thanks for the msg earlier in the week!!!

Tommy's cousin (Mickey) was most likely thrown out of the priesthood for having a girlfriend (there are many, many alcoholic priests... 2 of the priests in my parish are alcoholics, one recently went back on the wagon). Remember at Tommy's mother's funeral, Tommy went outside and saw Mickey across the street talkign to a girl in a Jeep, and then Mickey came over to Tommy and it was pretty much said that he was seeing this girl (or maybe multiple girls) becuase he said "The church would just be happy that I'm not touching little boys" (paraphrasing - but that was the gist of the conversation). So it follows that if he was having sex with her, and was thrown out of the church for it, why would he stop once he was defrocked?

I love this show. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! So glad it's back.

Damn raydog your memory is a steel trap! I forgot about that conversation they had.

Last nights episode was great. Janet is making me very angry though. I understand wanting to escape Tommy and all the dysfunction that comes with him, but she is lying to her children and hurting them also in the process. He has always done right by them so they don't exactly know why mommy is keeping them from him. It's very unfair of her.

Now, the probie/Teresa situation is interesting. How far will Mike go? Is he really going to lose it completely and just stalk her?

Something has to come out about Sully, he irks me and you know he HAS to have a skeleton in his closet, one that will be HUGE too I bet.

Ahhhh I hate that it's another whole week away!! I love this show and the waiting in between kills me!

I knew Janet would not leave with Tommy, I just can't deal with her lying to her children, constantly running and taking these kids from new homes, and school's at such a young age is not good at all! Colleen seems to have somewhat common sense I wonder if she knew what her mother was up to if she would have ran away and left with her father?

I am worried about Mike "The Probie" he's a ticking time bomb and we can see it developing already.

Raydog, you really have one heck of a memory now that you mention it I remember it clearly now.

The scene with Lauren and Franco pissed me off last night I understand her point but what girl continues to boost how good she is in "the sack" poor writing there if you ask me. Although it seems as though she won't hold out for too long...if that were me i'd be all over Franco too :wink:

Guest ranster627

Rescue Me

"Turns out some of yas are just broken-down drunks on the verge of a complete and total mental collapse," says the cop to Tommy after ticketing his truck for the umpteenth time. Well... yeah. Your point being? Then Tommy says if he's ever seen on the Staten Island ferry, shoot him in the head. (Y'know, I used to take the ferry now and then just to enjoy a boat ride. I kinda liked it, so please hold your fire if you ever see me doing it again.) But I got my first laugh-out-loud moment of the evening from Tommy's parting line about what the guys trying to sign him up for the barbershop quartet could do with each other after he left. Anyway, you think anyone's gonna clue Mike in to the fact that shrieking how you can get any goddamn girl you want in a high-pitched voice might not be the best way to take being dumped? Not a whole lotta pride in that, friend. Nor is calling her up to make fun of her weight (which was the nicest thing he had to say). Speaking of pride, though, Laura's "horrific, bloody train wreck of a relationship" speech to shoot Franco down was one of the most artfully devastating cold-water-in-the-lap moves I've seen in some time. Too bad I don't think she'll hold out over the long haul.

But being a typical coast-dwelling knucklehead, I didn't even know there was a London, Ohio. (You'd be stunned by the quantity of things I don't know.) But Tommy's able to make poor Carmine the Pete Best of the singing group within a few minutes. Then, of course, being Tommy, he immediately lets them down by taking off to find his family and get his ass kicked. (Not that I blame him, of course.) Nor does it take Janet long to realize he's the same liar he's always been

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Ausiello

Question: Can you give us some scoop on shows that are actually airing right now? Like, say, Rescue Me?

Touch

Guest ranster627

Rescue Me

OK, it's time to admit Tommy's Jesus dreams are starting to freak me out. Which is all right, since they're starting to freak him out, too, and

Guest ranster627

Rescue Me

Gotta hand it (no pun intended) to the tyrannical traffic cop whose face messed up Tommy's fist. He's got a point about punching people there. Just ask Mike Tyson, a champion boxer who still managed to break his hand blasting Mitch Green in the eye in a street fight. Speaking of ouch, it didn't take Franco long to pull out the ADD excuse on Laura, did it? Even Tommy doesn't use his alcoholism to excuse everything. (Well, most stuff, but still...) Speaking of Tommy, he mocks the notion of God being on the side of a recovering drunk, but he's the one seeing Jesus in his bathroom, never mind Mary Magdalene asking him to pour her a double. But damn, he's a hero for managing to turn down Sheila's sex-and-alcohol gambit. And that's not even counting his ability to toss a kid across a gap five stories up (though I'm thinking the little girl might not be that thrilled with him). How do you practice that kind of thing? (Cut to the shot of children fleeing rookie firemen looking to get some training in.)

Anyway, I can't say I blame Laura for objecting so strongly to Lou's use of the T-word, even if the guys think she's too sensitive. "Do your job the right way, people call you names you want to hear," says Tommy. Well, only the people you work with, actually. And I really hope Mike's hooking up with the Valkyrie veterinarian doesn't inspire you knuckleheads out there to go plinking at cats to meet chicks.

Guest ranster627

Rescue Me

My first reaction to Tommy's saying "I'll see you in court, bitch!" to Janet with Colleen sitting right there was that it was a little questionable. Then I realized it was worse than that; he's actually got her in on his get-the-kids-back scheming. Why do I continue to underestimate a man who, as we see in the next scene, is willing to retrieve a stolen Vicodin from under the chief's foot

Guest ranster627

Rescue Me

Y'know, cruelty to friends and subordinates brings out some of the best humor in a guy. Exhibit A: Lou's crack to Mike about his new giant-veterinarian gal-pal swatting planes away, and having to reinforce the firehouse floors if she ever comes to visit. But there's where the humor pretty much ends for this episode (not that that's a bad thing). It starts off light enough. You knew there'd be a problem with Sean's new girl, too. Turns out she really loves firemen, and loves setting fires to meet them, apparently. And speaking of problems, Johnny's right: Tommy's kids would have a better chance with a pack of wolves in the forest. But it is both fascinating and horrifying to watch Tommy, a guy who lies like he breathes, catch other liars. After all, he's so used to getting caught himself. But when he finds out Sheila's only been pretending to still be carrying a baby and heads over to her house, tossing her around and stuffing salad into her mouth? Rough stuff, as is watching her sobbing because she loves him.

It doesn't lighten up much from there, of course. Watching the Chief stonewall his own son isn't much better, and seeing Franco scream at his absolutely adorable little girl because he's out of pills is nearly as bad. Then there's poor Lou, thinking his bone marrow's cursed because the guy he donated it too also had his wife leave him for another man. Then again, who ever said this show was always about laughs?

Guest ranster627

Rescue Me

Tommy's trying to get some z's in the firehouse while Lou snores and the pipes clank. Me, I'll take the clanking. I got used to that in old, steam-heated New York City apartments. Snoring you never get used to. "I gotta really figure out what it is I want to do and how to do it before I go about doing it, y'know?" he says. Well, yeah

Variety.com

CBS' 'Numb3rs' 'Rescues' Farr

by Michael Schneider

dianefarr_wb2004allstarparty_240.jpg

Diane Farr

Actress Diane Farr is switching coasts, leaving the New York-based FX series "Rescue Me" and heading back to L.A., where she's joining the CBS' drama "Numbers." Farr will fill the void on "Numb3rs" left by the departure of original cast member Sabrina Lloyd.

Farr is signed up to initially star in multiple episodes but is expected to join the show full-time. She'll play Special Agent Megan Reeves, a Quantico grad assigned to the Los Angeles FBI office, where she'll work with Don Eppes (Rob Morrow). Farr is wrapping up shooting on the Denis Leary-led "Rescue Me," for which she had signed a one-year deal to play the first female firefighter at the station.

Last season, Farr also developed a project at Sony Pictures TV and the WB about young women in Los Angeles, loosely based on her experience as a jilted bride. Farr's credits include "The Drew Carey Show" and "The Job." The CBS show, "Numbers," from Paramount Network TV and Scott Free Prods., stars Morrow as an FBI agent who relies on his brother, a math genius, to help solve cases.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

Rescue Me

Tommy's trying to get some z's in the firehouse while Lou snores and the pipes clank. Me, I'll take the clanking. I got used to that in old, steam-heated New York City apartments. Snoring you never get used to. "I gotta really figure out what it is I want to do and how to do it before I go about doing it, y'know?" he says. Well, yeah

Reuters

FX Fans Flames Renewal for 'Rescue Me'

rescue_main.jpg

Denis Leary in 'Rescue Me'

FX has given the greenlight to a third season of Denis Leary's New York firefighter drama series "Rescue Me." Production on the 13-episode order is scheduled to begin early next year, with a tentative premiere date in the second quarter. The second-season finale airs at 10 p.m. on September 13.

"Rescue Me" was created by Leary and Peter Tolan, who are nominated for a 2005 Primetime Emmy Award for drama series writing, while Tolan is up for drama series directing. "Rescue Me" is averaging 2.7 million total viewers in its second season. The August 16 episode tied its season high in total viewers (2.9 million) and delivered its highest number for the season in the adults 18-49 demo (2 million).

Guest ranster627

Rescue Me

OK, I'll say this right now (and admittedly, it's off the top of my head so my chronology may be way off): I love this show, but if it turns out that some or all of what's happened turns out to be a dream or hallucination of Tommy's and he's still lying in a basement somewhere, I'm gonna be p---ed. Not that I think that's the case, necessarily, but I'm warning you now. And have I mentioned that watching this every week makes me miss living in New York? It's weird enough that a show about burning buildings, adultery and substance abuse has me waxing nostalgic, but what's even stranger is that it's the scenes where Tommy and Johnny blast each other that get me wanting to be back there.

Enough about me. My biggest giggle of the evening came when Tommy told Sheila a black eye wouldn't make him come over, but she should call him if Debbie sets her on fire. Speaking of which, after the unexpected twist of Laura thinking Tommy has a thing for her, we see Debbie tell Tommy that Sheila gave herself the black eye in order to get him there. You guys buying that? Frankly, I can see it going either way. (And her raising her hand for a high five gave me another chuckle.) Which brings us to the end, with Mickey, Tommy and Johnny confronting Murph, Kevin in tow, and the tragedy that followed. I thought Kevin might pull a gun, but I was surprised to see him turn it on himself. This show keeps surprising me, all the while mixing comedy and drama as well as, or better than, anything else on TV at the moment.