THE SCHOLAR

salter-path

THE SCHOLAR PREMIERES MONDAY, JUNE 6@ 9 EST

scholar6of.jpg

"101" - Series Premiere

The opportunity of a lifetime is about to come true for one of America's best and brightest high school students, as the competition for a big scholarship prize begins.

Meet the class HERE

Released by ABC

ABC INTRODUCES "THE SCHOLAR," A GROUNDBREAKING, NEW UNSCRIPTED SERIES IN WHICH TEN HIGHLY QUALIFIED HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS COMPETE FOR A FULL COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP

Six Episode Series Premieres Monday, June 6

The opportunity of a lifetime is about to come true for one of America's best and brightest high school students in an original, new, one-hour unscripted series that will send the winner to a top-rated university, all expenses paid. Filmed on location at the University of Southern California, "The Scholar" will be the first show ever to celebrate higher education as the ultimate American prize. From award-winning producers Steve Martin, Joan Stein, Jon Murray ("The Real World," "The Simple Life"), Marcy Carsey and Tom Werner ("That '70s Show," "Roseanne," "The Cosby Show"), the six-episode series will premiere MONDAY, JUNE 6 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

For the chance at a full ride to the college of their choice, ten qualified high school seniors -- who might not otherwise have an opportunity to attend one of America's top universities -- will compete for a full scholarship, a prize valued at $250,000. They will have to demonstrate excellence in the areas of academics, leadership, creativity and community service, while facing sudden-death oral exams defending themselves to an Ivy League scholarship committee.

"The Scholar" contestants include:

Max C., Oakland, CA

Alyssa D., Yuba City, CA

Amari H., St. Charles, MO

Melissa H., Tarzana, CA

Davis L., Memphis, TN

Scot P., New Freedom, PA

Jerald T., Commerce, TX

Jeremy T., Westminster, CA

Liz W., Buhl, ID

Milana Z., Fresh Meadows, NY

The $250,000 college scholarship will be donated by philanthropist Eli Broad.

Hosted by Rob Nelson ("The Rob Nelson Show," "The Mole II"), "The Scholar" was filmed in and around the Los Angeles-based campus of the University of Southern California.

"The Scholar," produced by Bunim-Murray Productions, Martin/Stein and Carsey-Werner, is a concept based on an original idea by Jaye Pace, Shannon Meairs and Waxman Williams Entertainment. Steve Martin, Joan Stein, Jon Murray, Marcy Carsey and Tom Werner will serve as executive producers.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

The Scholar

Before this aired, I saw two girls on Wheel of Fortune win $50,000 for getting a couple of crossword clues right, and I'm just guessing that their GPAs weren't over 4.0. (And how is a 4.6 GPA even possible anyway? My school didn't go higher than 4. Is this that new math again?) Regardless, it seems like it should be easier for such obviously deserving kids to earn money for college. All of them are really smart and in need of this full-ride scholarship; it's almost a shame that if they don't win this cash they might not be able to attend their Ivy League schools of choice. Well, I'd feel bad for most of them , maybe not that cocky Davis kid. I went to high school with a few like him (names withheld to protect those who grew up to be somewhat less self-absorbed individuals), and they always drove me insane. He was right when he said that people either liked him or hated him right away. I was so glad that Melissa

I'm redoing this post after watching the second show. I found this show really really boring. Good premise no excitement.

Guest ranster627

The Scholar

I'm not entirely sure what creating school spirit has to do with get a college scholarship, but I guess it is all part of a well-rounded education. I thought for sure Scot the home-schooled kid would be out of this game, but he ended up winning what is more than his father makes in several years in his 50 grand scholarship and spot in the finals. He seemed just so excited, that kind of genuine exuberance is nice to see. Though I have to admit while he was telling his hard luck story I was just waiting for Ty Pennington and Co. to pop out of a bus and remake the family's house and send the kid to off for his chance at higher learning. Actually, this whole reality game show has a good natured vibe about it. Only marred by grouchy judge Sean who thought that Gerald's only chance of making it to the admission showdown was during this challenge because he was a school mascot. Is that saying that the kid is stupid? I mean yeah, his GPA may not be as high as some of the others thanks for all those people who wrote in to explain the confusing 5.0 GPA system for certain classes at some schools

Guest ranster627

The Scholar

If Max really wants to go to college, he needs to start being more of a player and less of a playa. He's a cute kid; the girls will flock to him once he makes it to the Ivy League

Guest ranster627

The Scholar

OK, can one of the helpful people who kindly explained GPA's over 4.0 also explain discreet math to me? I feel so... old. And I felt even older when I was watching them play Truth or Dare and shaking my head, dying to tell them that the game leads to nothing but trouble and hurt feelings. But I didn't start shouting at the TV until the end of the episode, when Liz went head-to-head with her flirt interest Davis. I kept shouting, "Take him down!" Maybe I'm not so mature, despite the age on my driver's license. I was annoyed that early in the episode Davis insisted he wasn't cocky, and then bragged that he had the challenge in the bag when he learned it was a history quiz. He was so full of himself that he decided not only to help Liz study, but also to include dramatic pauses on some of the easier questions. So glad that backfired. And to top it all off, his team won a kickin' prize

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

The Scholar

Melissa came out of the gate strong and used that momentum to win a bunch of challenges and carry her across the finish line and off to the school of her dreams