"DANCING WITH THE STARS"

Celebs to Vie in 'Dancing With the Stars'

capt.nyet19105111914.people_sutter_nyet1

This undated photo supplied by ABC, shows Trista Sutter and Louis van Amstel, a Latin dance expert, practicing for 'Dancing with the Stars,' an ABC television series that pairs a celebrity with a professional dance partner. Each pair is shown on the program as they train and then compete in front of a studio audience in a televised dance competition. They will be judged by a panel of experts and also by viewers at home, with one couple being eliminated each week. 'Dancing with the Stars' debuts on ABC Wednesday, June 1, 2005. (AP Photo/ABC, Byron Cohen)

[/color']Trista Sutter, who appeared on two versions of ABC's "The Bachelor" and wed Ryan Sutter on television, is among the celebrities who will appear on ABC's new reality series, "Dancing With the Stars."

Model Rachel Hunter, former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield, singer Joey McIntyre, John O'Hurley ("Seinfeld") and Kelly Monaco ("General Hospital") will be paired with professional ballroom dancing partners in the competition, set to debut June 1 (9 p.m. ET).

They will be judged by viewers and a panel of dance experts. One couple will be eliminated each week, ABC said Tuesday. The show is based on a series airing in other countries called "Strictly Come Dancing."

Mom and I saw a commercial for this show last night while watching "Lost" and both looked at each like' date=' "Hmmm...that looks kind of interesting." So, I guess I'll be adding another TV show to my already full line-up. Will I ever get a life? Hmm, doubtful.

On a side note: Trista and Joey are sure becoming Reality TV Whores, aren't they?[/quote']

DANCING WITH THE STARS PREMIERES WEDNESDAY, JUNE 1, 9 EST

dancingstars6lg.jpg

Six celebrities - heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield, Bachelorette Trista Sutter, model Rachel Hunter, actor John O'Hurley, singer Joey McIntyre and General Hospital's Kelly Monaco - are teamed up with six international dance masters for six grueling weeks of training and six weeks of intense dance competition.

It all happens live and your vote will help determine who becomes the top dancing couple.

Vote for your favorites! See the cast photos HERE

• 4 weeks later...

I love this show. I have always been intriqued with ballroom dancing. Its very fun to watch. I only wish I could dance like that! lol

I digress...

Did anyone watch Regis and Kelly today? They showed a news paper article announcing who won 'Dancing with the Stars' :(

I thought this was a whole long series thing, and now they have announced a winner?!

If you wanna know, PM me and I'll tell you. I dont want to make anyone mad at me by posting a spoiler and ruining it for you!

Cheers,

Never mind!!!! *grins*

Regis just corrected himself right on the air. I guess I dont know who won after all! drats! HAHAHA

It was an article on John O'Hurley that said he was dancing his way to 'NEW' fame. Regis of course hadnt pre-read the article, so just assumed he had one the whole thing!

Hope I didnt get you all TOO excited!

Guest ranster627

well it was a good try ... I was a little skeptical as I thought it aired live, but I never know anymore what is taped and what is in production ... good quick reporting though ...

MOD infommercial:

Have a spoiler on any reality shows?

Clearly label a new topic with "Spoiler" and the show title ...

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :wink:

Be a "star" at Morty's and share the inside track ...

I saw Regis make this announcement this morning too. At first I thought .."wow, what a scoop, the show isn't over"..then..... " How do they know who won when it's live?" :oops: gee, "I haven't voted yet"

LovesBigBrother, you still glimmer in my book :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article from People Magazine that had some interesting information on the professionals and judges. The article gave some background information on where the professionals are from and their training as well as tidbits about their personal life. (Two of the professional dancers are in a long-term committed relationship) It also gives a little background on the judges. I had to create my own bio for Trista Sutter and Louis van Amstel since they weren't featured in the magazine article. My source was the ABC "Dancing with the Stars" website. Enjoy!

People

Meet The 'Dancing' Professionals

dancers.jpg

'Dancing with the Stars'

In ABC's surprise summer hit, "Dancing With the Stars," celebrities are paired with ballroom pros to compete in an "American Idol"-style dance-off (last week, viewers voted "Bachelorette" Trista Sutter off the dance floor). Now, with five couples left, meet the professional hoofers hoping to turn their star partners into the next cha-cha champ.

'Dancing With the Stars' Champions

dancingwiththestars_240_002.jpg

Kelly Monaco and Alec Mazo

The pro: Alec Mazo

Celeb partner: Kelly Monaco

Notable steps:

His best moves:

On Kelly:

'Dancing With the Stars' Runner-Ups

johnohurley.jpg

Charlotte Jorgensen and John O'Hurley

The pro: Charlotte Jorgensen

Celeb partner: John O'Hurley

Notable steps:

Her best moves:

On John:

Eliminated in Round Five

joey2.jpg

Joey McIntyre and Ashly DelGrosso

The pro: Ashly DelGrosso

Celeb partner: Joey McIntyre

Notable steps:

Her best moves:

On Joey:

Eliminated in Round Four

rachel.jpg

Jonathan Roberts and Rachel Hunter

The pro: Jonathan Roberts

Celeb partner: Rachel Hunter

Notable steps:

His best moves:

On Rachel:

Eliminated in Round Three

evanderholyfield_dancingwiththestars_240

Edyta Sliwinska and Evander Holyfield

The pro: Edyta Sliwinska

Celeb partner: Evander Holyfield

Notable steps:

Her best moves:

On Evander:

Eliminated in Round Two

trista.jpg

Trista Sutter and Louis van Amstel

The pro: Louis van Amstel

Celeb partner: Trista Sutter

Notable steps:

His best moves:

On Trista:

The Judges

goodman.jpg

Len Goodman

The judge:

Starting steps:

Fanciest Footwork:

Goodman quote:

inaba.jpg

Carrie Ann Inaba

The judge:

Starting steps:

Fanciest Footwork:

Inaba quote:

tonioli.jpg

Bruno Tonioli

The judge:

Starting steps:

Fanciest Footwork:

Tonioli quote:

OMG I have been thinking all this time that it looked like Alec Mazo was sweet on Kelly. Now I find out he is dating one of the pros HA!! I still say there is a vibe there -- probably good that Editta (? sp.) was there to keep an eye on things!

Kelly and Alec was on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" last night and even Kelly made light of the caliber of 'celebrity' on the dance roster. I wish I could quote her exactly but it was something like "Dancing with Lesser Known Celebrities." So, she wasn't taking herself seriously which was refreshing.

Leno brought out the trophy and had a few jokes about the 'ultimate prize.' She also joked with Leno about the 'cheesy' disco-ball trophy. She said she was going to use it as a table centerpiece on occasion at a dinner party. She also mentioned how it was a driving hazard for her on the way home from the competition. She kept thinking there were lights all over the road a few times before she realized it was just the light reflecting off the mirrored disco ball!

Alec was doing his best to take the network position and give only positive feedback to Leno. Kelly was a breath of fresh air by answering his questions quite honestly. When asked if Alec ever complained about his partner's lack of dance ability, Alec answered "No, not at all" which was abruptly interrupted with the truth from Kelly, "Oh, yeah!" She told Leno how serious Alec was in the beginning and how casual she was until about the third week when she realized she had to get serious to stay in the competition. When Leno referred to her perfect score, Kelly voluntarily admittedl her knee flub in the final routine.

At Leno's request, Kelly and Alec did a mini-routine off to the side of the stage to dance the show off to commercial break. However, disaster almost struck. They had just completed a lift when she lost her footing on the dismount and was about to go down for the count. Jay Leno to the rescue! He caught her before she hit the floor and then swept her up into his arms as he began to dance with her in his arms. Quick reaction and great save Jay!

I think they rerun leno late night -- I will have to try and catch it. Sounds like it was a good interview. I wish they had brought John and Charlotte on as well.

Wonder if she will do Jimmy Kimmel's show on ABC. one look at her figure and Kimmel will be all over her.

Wonder if she will do Jimmy Kimmel's show on ABC. one look at her figure and Kimmel will be all over her.

Not sure about Kelly's next appearance but you can catch John O'Hurley on "The View" on Monday, July 11. Check your local listings for time and channel.[

what time?

If they don't get bumped off today's show, "Larry King Live" airs on the West Coast at 6 p.m. and repeats at 9 p.m. and midnight. Shows like CNN's "Larry King Live" and PBS' "Charlie Rose" often change their line-up at the last minute if they need to cover a breaking news story.

I put the program description below and it says 9 p.m. ET so I would guess the East Coast airs at 9 p.m., 12 a.m. and 3 a.m. while Central Time is 8 p.m., 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. Doing the math, Mountain Time would be 7 p.m., 10 p.m. and 1 a.m. The only one I can speak of with any certainty is Pacific Coast Time.

Larry King Live

We get jiggy with the competitors from "Dancing with the Stars." A look at the series that swept America off its feet. Tune in at 9 p.m. ET.

According to a TV Guide Schedule, here are times for "Larry King Live":

Eastern Time Zone

9 p.m. ~ 12 a.m. ~ 3 a.m.

Central Time Zone

8 p.m. ~ 11 p.m. ~ 2 a.m.

Mountain Time Zone

7 p.m. ~ 10 p.m. ~ 1 a.m.

Pacific Time Zone

6 p.m. ~ 9 p.m. ~ 12 a.m.

Alaskan Time Zone

5 p.m. ~ 8 p.m. ~ 11 p.m.

Hawaiian Time Zone

3 p.m. ~ 6 p.m. ~ 9 p.m.

Thanks Ranster for alerting us to Larry's guests tonight! I usually stay on top of all the TV Talk Show line-ups but I hadn't heard about tonight's programming yet. You know I'll be watching tonight. However, I'm having that funny feeling it might be pre-empted because of the breaking news of the Space Shuttle launch being postponed.

They weren't pre-empted! The panel consisted of Kelly Monaco, Alec Mazo, John O'Hurley, Charlotte Jorgensen, Joey McIntyre, Carrie Ann Inabo and by satellite - Host, Tom Bergeron. It actually was a pretty interesting show overall. "Larry King Live" has a full transcript of tonight's show. To read what you missed, here's the link for those who want to peruse it: King's 'Dancing' Transcript

Here are a few highlights that I can remember from the hour:

• John was one of the first celebrities the producers approached regarding the new show. He first thought the call from the producers was to host the show! He was a little shocked to find out the producers wanted him to dance instead. Joey McIntyre said he also thought they called him to be the host of the show.

Most of the panel mentioned the need to 'tweak' the scoring system next time around. Carrie Ann Inaba tried to explain how the scoring worked and what the judges were actually using as parameters for their judging scores. The rest of the panel seemed eager for her to explain especially Joey McIntyre.

The entire panel said the thing that needed the most 'tweaking' was the cheesy disco ball trophy. Repeating what she told Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show," Kelly said she planned on placing the trophy on a lazy suzan during parties, card games and buffets at her home.

The entire panel acknowledged how much Evander Holyfield brought to the program. They mentioned how he was the true draw for the ratings by putting everything on the line and bringing 'closet men' who were watching the show from sports bars around the country. Everyone seemed to mention Evander's huge warm heart and called him a 'huggy bear.'

Kelly liked that the prize was pride and not money. She said too much programming is based on greed and debasing people for entertainment. Both John and Kelly applauded the show for its wide demographic appeal to families from with ages ranging from children to grandparents.
  • so I only imagine he's including his girlfriend and professional dance partner, Edyta Sliwinska, in those business plans.
  • This was not on 'Larry King' but I got curious and went to his web site: Genesis Dance Sport and got this surprise . . . All six of the professional dancers on 'Dancing with the Stars' belong to this studio! I'm not sure if they all taught in the San Francisco Studio before or since the show's popularity. They are currently promoting sign-ups on a wait list for dance students for the new Los Angeles Studio.
  • Charlotte Jorgensen told Larry that she is currently writing a book on ballroom dancing while maintaining her busy dance instruction schedule around the country. Then, Charlotte and John dropped the big news . . . or potential news . . . they are discussing doing something together on Broadway!
  • Carrie Ann Inaba plans to develop a show in Las Vegas and continues to choregraph for various artists.
  • Joey McIntyre returns to "Boston Public" in the fall and his recent CD, "8:09" is currently available. Also, he just finished a six-month run on Broadway as Fiero in the musical hit, "Wicked."
  • Kelly Monaco returns to her daytime gig as Sam McCall on ABC's "General Hospital." Although she told Larry her contract is up in a year and she wasn't sure if she would renew it. She sounded like she didn't want to obligate or commit herself to more years on 'GH' until her contract renewal time approaches nearer. Smart lady!
  • John O'Hurley just released a compilation CD of his piano compositions over the past 25 years, "Peace of Our Minds" featuring a collaboration with electronic cellist Marston Smith. John continues to get commercial endorsements and may be Broadway bound with Charlotte Jorgensen.

My thoughts

Loved that the all seemed to like each other. I have always thought Kelly is pretty shy -- thought her answer was interesting about not being able to hide behind a character, that it was just her. John said it was like being naked -- was waiting for the "kelly was more naked that most" comment that never came :roll:

Loved Kelly's answer to the soap audience carried her. She pointed out that gh has about 3 million viewers and Dancing had between 15 and 20. And I liked when john played the aw shucks i had 13 nieces as a fan base and Larry King said -- so you dont think Seinfeld was a fan base? Even John had to smile at that one.

Thought it was interesting that much as they had a role, the older guy, the soap person etc. they also seemed to have a personality role -- John is definately the papa bear, they all seem very deferential to him letting him speak first etc. The all gave kudos to Kelly for her determination, Evander being the heart and Joey being the energy. Odd that they didnt mention trista yet (okay she was only on one week) but more odd that they havent mentioned the ballroom goddess aka Rachel hunter.

Funny that Carrie explained the voting wrong - the public vote is not the tie breaker. When she talked about how the judges voted you could see Joey is still a little tweaked about the whole thing. Liked that John understood the voting -- thats a mark of a true competitor. And I agree that its odd that the audience is voting on one performance and that score is then added to the judges scoring of a different performance.

I hear Kelly may be the next Pantene spokesmodel. I thought she looked absolutely gorgeous tonight. And alec -- well lets just say I wouldnt kick that latin hunk out of bed for eatting crackers.

I am watching it now - commercial break :D I get get over what a natural beauty Charlotte is -- she looks even more beautiful in a non-ballroom look.

My jaw dropped when Larry King asked Charlotte the question, 'How did they hook you with John?,' and John O'Hurley popped in with a response. His first response was so awkward that the silence was deafening by the other guests. John said, "I think that's obvious, isn't it? You know, I think it was because, I mean, I represent kind of an older demographic, I think. And also, my brand is always . . . "

It sounded, at first, like he was calling Charlotte old. Thank goodness, he expanded his answer by explaining, "I mean, I lean towards a little bit more elegant style. And I think they look at her as kind -- she's always been known as the Grace Kelly of ballroom dancing. And so I think that was kind of a good match, the two of us."

Nice save O'Hurley! :lol:

I loved that one too! John had so many golden humorous moments. He really does think fast on his feet! Must be why he dances so well! :lol:

They really did cover quite a few topics tonight . . . judging, training, costuming, etc. I agree with John about making room for new faces but I sure wish we could see some -- not all -- of the dancers again in either a competition or a dance special.

• 2 weeks later...

'Larry King Live' Repeats 'Dancing' Cast Interview

larry_king_live2.jpglarry_king_live.jpg

"Larry King Live" is reairing the show featuring the dancers from "Dancing with the Stars" on Saturday, July 23 on CNN. Here's the program description again with times according to specific time zones around the country.

Larry King Live

We get jiggy with the competitors from "Dancing with the Stars." A look at the series that swept America off its feet. Tune in at 9 p.m. ET.

According to a TV Guide Schedule, here are times for "Larry King Live":

Eastern Time Zone

9 p.m. ~ 12 a.m. ~ 3 a.m.

Central Time Zone

8 p.m. ~ 11 p.m. ~ 2 a.m.

Mountain Time Zone

7 p.m. ~ 10 p.m. ~ 1 a.m.

Pacific Time Zone

6 p.m. ~ 9 p.m. ~ 12 a.m.

Alaskan Time Zone

5 p.m. ~ 8 p.m. ~ 11 p.m.

Hawaiian Time Zone

3 p.m. ~ 6 p.m. ~ 9 p.m.

• 1 month later...

'Dancing With The Stars' Marathon on ABC Family

finaltwo3.jpg

'Dancing' finalists Kelly Monaco, Alec Mazo, Charlotte Jorgensen

and John O'Hurley.

If you missed "Dancing With The Stars" the first time around or just want to see all the dance action again, you are in luck! ABC Family Channel will run the entire Season One in back to back episodes on Sunday, September 18 starting at 1 p.m. (ET/PT).

The 'Dancing' Marathon will give viewers the chance to reacquaint themselves with every step, every routine leading up to the controversial finale between 'Dancing' Champions Kelly Monaco and Alec Mazo and runner-up dancers John O'Hurley and Charlotte Jorgensen.

This is the perfect opportunity to see all the exciting 'Dancing' fun for the first time, catch those missed episodes or see it all over again! See every hip movement, every graceful pose before actor John O'Hurley and soap star Kelly Monaco go toe-to-toe once again in a 90-minute live ballroom competition dance-off! "Dancing With The Stars: Dance-Off" will strike a pose on Tuesday, September 20, at 8:30 p.m. on ABC.

In the spirit of good-natured competition, champion Kelly Monaco and her professional dance partner, Alec Mazo, will meet runner-up John O'Hurley and his professional partner Charlotte Jorgensen, for an electrifying showdown on the dance floor. America will decide who the winner is, with results to be announced during a September 22nd telecast!

So all you armchair ballroom dancers, set your VCR or grab your remote for the "Dancing With The Stars" Marathon. You don't want to be the only one at the water cooler without anything to talk about!

'Dancing With The Stars' Marathon

Sunday, September 18

1:00 - 2:00 p.m.

Celebrities Trista Sutter, Rachel Hunter, Evander Holyfield, Joey McIntyre, John O'Hurley and Kelly Monaco are paired with professional dance partners to compete before a panel of expert judges.

2:00 - 3:00 p.m.

Joey McIntyre, John O'Hurley, Evander Holyfield and their partners perform quick-step routines, while Rachel Hunter, Trista Sutter, Kelly Monaco and their partners dance rumbas.

3:00 - 4:00 p.m.

John O'Hurley, Rachel Hunter and partners dance the tango; Evander Holyfield, Joey McIntyre and Kelly Monaco perform a jive with their partners; one couple is eliminated from the competition.

4:00 - 5:00 p.m.

Each couple dances the samba, then the Viennese waltz.

5:00 - 6:00 p.m.

John O'Hurley, Joey McIntyre and Kelly Monaco tackle the paso doble and the foxtrot with their partners.

6:00 - 7:00 p.m.

John O'Hurley and Charlotte Jorgensen perform their quickstep routine, while Kelly Monaco and Alec Mazo perform a samba; all previously eliminated stars return to perform one last time before the winner is crowned.

• 3 weeks later...

I found this little insider tidbit while researching another dance show and found it interesting. It pertains to the contracts signed by the dance professionals on "Dancing With The Stars."

"Dancing With The Stars" ~ Employment Contracts

The professional dancers on the show were reportedly required to sign a contract with the producers of the show stipulating a weekly fee of $1500, fixed for 5 years, and requiring that they obtain permission from ABC before accepting any other TV appearances. This is apparently not unusual in the TV industry.

The producers had the professional dancers sign their contracts at short notice on the weekend shortly before the start of the show. In the meantime the producers had called around all the previously auditioned dancers asking if they would be available to step in should an "illness" afflict one of one of the already selected dancers.

As it turned all out the originally selected dancers were able to suppress their nausea long enough to sign their contracts. Whether they will have an adverse future reaction to their salary, taking into account the huge success of the show, remains to be seen.

• 4 weeks later...

Courtesty of: AOL TELEVISION, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

ABC's 'Dancing' Set for January Return

ABC Kelly Monaco won the first season of 'Dancing,' but was overtaken in the rematch by John O'Hurley.

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 28) - ABC said that its hit summer series "Dancing With the Stars" will return in January in the competitive time slot of 8 p.m. Thursday for an eight-week run.

A second weekly installment of "Dancing," where results from the previous episode's contests will be revealed, also will be scheduled, but ABC has not determined the day or time.

"Dancing" will replace "Alias," which was scheduled to take a midseason break because of a maternity leave for star Jennifer Garner. The celebrity contestants for the second season have not been determined.

10/28/05 03:22 ET

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name