Harold Perrineau as Michael

'Lost' Star Finds Hope As Show Heads Into Season Finale

By Tim Lammers

lost1.jpg

Harold Perrineau stars as Michael in ABC's "Lost."

There's no question that film and television actor Harold Perrineau has had his share of major projects over the past few years, from the acclaimed HBO drama "Oz" to the last two "Matrix" sequels, "Reloaded" and "Revolutions." But few would argue that his biggest find has come with the blockbuster television drama "Lost."

For those who have missed out on the excitement that's unfolded since last fall, "Lost" follows the lives of several plane crash survivors who are stranded on a strange island somewhere in the Pacific. Each inhabitant has their own unique story that leads up to the crash, which is chronicled in a series of flashbacks every week.

The show concludes Wednesday night on ABC with a two-hour season finale (check local listings). Last week's show concluded with Michael (Perrineau), his son Walt (Malcolm David Kelly), Sawyer (Josh Holloway) and Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) setting sail on a raft in hopes of being located -- saving themselves and ultimately, those they left behind on the island.

Unlike the mother of all shipwreck survivor shows, "Gilligan's Island," "Lost" has quite a bit more edge to it. Sure, there are light-hearted moments that make you laugh on "Lost," but also, week in and week out, creators Jeffrey Lieber, J.J. Abrams and David Lindelof, as well as the show's writers, effectively weave in some very dramatic human elements -- making the island setting anything but paradise.

For the characters, that meant surviving the plane crash in the pilot episode was only the beginning. That's because after the show became a smashing success, the word was out that one of the characters would die on the show, but not who (Boone, played by Ian Somerhalder, unfortunately met his untimely fate).

"It wasn't talked about in the beginning of the show, but as it was going along, we thought, 'One of us is going to have to die in order to keep the stakes really high,'" Perrineau recalled for me in a recent interview. "Then we started reading in the press that the writers and producers were saying it as well. They must have called Ian before anybody, a couple weeks before the scripts came out. Then the rest of us found out."

Oddly enough, while the tension of an impending character's death added to the intensity of some of the performances of his cast mates, the 36-year-old Brooklyn-bred performer said he took the prospect of his character dying in stride. After all, having walked the paces of a struggling actor earlier in his career, Perrineau -- also a veteran of the stage -- was just happy to have the gig in the first place

"There were some of us who are veterans who realize how the business goes

• 3 months later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Insider

Will Lost's Michael Sink or Swim?

by Angel Cohn

When last we saw Harold Perrineau's character on Lost, Michael was clinging to a raft in the ocean and his young son, Walt, had just been kidnapped by "the Others." TVGuide.com, having talked to Perrineau last season before the raft left shore, decided to check in with the 37-year-old actor to make sure things were going swimmingly. Turns out they are

• 7 months later...
:blink: you evil man, you...

OH MY GOSH!!! That sure shocked the heck out of me!!! Just seconds before Michael turned the gun on Ana Lucia my husband called it, he said... "Michael's made a deal with the others, if he gets 'the guy' out of camp and back to the others... they will give him Walt back?!

And then he shoots Libby too! Talk about Shock and Awe...

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

HAROLD PERRINEAU

Source

Poor, poor Michael. First, the Others steal his boy. Then, the desperate housedad disappears into the jungle to search for him. Now, he's back and shooting Tailies and leading his fellow Oceanic castaways to war. Or is he? My conversation with the affable actor (previous credits: The Matrix sequels, Oz, Romeo + Juliet) took place in the catering tent soon after the shooting of his early afternoon tussle with Mr. Friendly. Throughout our chat, Perrineau tugged nervously on his beard. [Editor's note: Readers should be aware that this interview took place before rumors began to circulate that Perrineau will only be a part-time player next season due to the events of the finale. We asked Lost's producers for comment on the actor's season 3 status, and they declined.]

DOC JENSEN: I saw you taking some oxygen while shooting the bola-throwing scene with Mr. Friendly. You okay?

HAROLD PERRINEAU: It's the heat. And the running, and the fighting, and tumbling, too. They say pure oxygen helps revive you a little bit. I guess it does, I don't know. But I felt cool

• 2 weeks later...

'Lost' scoopage: Where's Michael?

Source

Just got off the phone with Harold Perrineau, who plays Michael on Lost. He tells me that last night was his swansong on the hit ABC series. Despite a lot of unanswered questions about him and his TV son, Michael is being written out of the show! Season 3's storyline has no plans to follow Michael. Perhaps, though, he will be back for Season 4 -- which won't air until 2008! (Do you know how *old* I will be then? Like, 28!)

Perrineau tells me he is no longer under contract with "Lost" and is free to look for other work. He also thinks the finale was slightly confusing to the viewer and didn't clearly spell out that Michael and Walt left the island, headed toward home.(We are supposed to assume that Michael and Walt do make it home but don't send help back for the others -- as opposed to The Others.)

Honestly, I thought last night's finale was great and action packed, but the ending was anti-climatic. I was disappointed.

Posted by terry on May 25, 2006 at 01:58 PM

If this is true...this is the dumbest move the writers could do...completely drop this storyline as it is the only one that has been well maintained. :angry:

well, it was a huge arc. how further could they have taken it. and i think Walt's growth had a lot to do with not bringing them back

The Hanso people took Walt in order to attract Michael in order to capture Jack, Kate & Sawyer?? Makes no sense...what??? LLST doesn't make sense??? Get out!! :P

No, I'm just mad that the writers in all of their creative glory couldn't figure something out. I know they are going to focus on the Others next season, but damn, they had Walt ALL of this season. And he has XMen-type powers...come on...humor me people...I live to be humored!!

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Lost Star Finds Three Film Roles

Perhaps indicating that Michael and Walt actually were able to sail away from the isle, Harold Perrineau has landed a trip of big-screen gigs: 28 Weeks Later (the follow-up to 28 Days Later), as a Special Forces pilot; Your Name Here, playing Richard Roundtree in the biopic of sci-fi author Philip K. Dick; and Gardens of the Night, opposite John Malkovich and Jeremy Sisto.

Posted by Matt Mitovich 08/31/2006 10:23 AM

Harold as Richard Roundtree?? Maybe Richard Roundtree standing in a hole?? Isn't he about a foot shorter than Shaft? Wierd...but could be good.

• 1 year later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Feeling Lost? Here's Our Guide to Michael Dawson

by Jack Rodgers

Saturday, January 19, 2008

080119int1perrineaulost.jpg

Harold Perrineau as Lost's Michael

Our favorite castaways thus far have been on the island a few months, but for Lost fans, it's been more than 260 days since Jack's super-freaky flash-forward. As the Jan. 31 season premiere (finally) draws closer, TVGuide.com is offering daily profiles

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Harold Perrineau Gets Lost and Found

by Shawna Malcom

Thursday, March 20, 2008

080320int1haroldperrineau.jpg

Harold Perrineau, Lost

Harold Perrineau is back on the island