22nd Annual Television Critics Association Awards

Reuters100x26.jpg

roffice_us.jpg

'The Office'

LOS ANGELES - The critics love "The Office," "My Name is Earl," "The Sopranos" and "24." The shows earned three nominations apiece on Wednesday, May 31 for the 22nd Annual Television Critics Association Awards. The TCA Awards, determined by the 200-plus members of the Television Critics Association, will be handed out Sunday, July 23 in Los Angeles.

NBC's "The Office" earned TCA Award bids for program of the year, comedy series and an individual achievement in comedy for star Steve Carell. The network's "My Name is Earl" snared nominations for comedy series, new program of the year and for individual achievement in comedy for star Jason Lee.

chatroom.jpg

'The Sopranos'

HBO's "Sopranos" and Fox's "24" earned program of the year and comedy series bids. "Sopranos" star James Gandolfini was recognized for individual achievement in drama, as was "24's" Kiefer Sutherland.

Rounding out the program of the year category for the awards covering the 2005-06 season were ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" and last year's best drama series Emmy-winner "Lost." Nominations for new program of the year also went to HBO's "Big Love," Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report," UPN's "Everybody Hates Chris" and Fox's "Prison Break."

scrubs_tv_show.JPG

'Scrubs'

NBC's "Scrubs" earned a seat alongside "Earl" and "Office" at the comedy series nominees table, as did UPN's freshman "Everybody Hates Chris" and Comedy Central's "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart." Joining "24" and "Sopranos" in the hunt for drama series glory were "Grey's" and "Lost" and Fox's "House."

In addition to Carell and Lee, nominations for individual achievement in comedy were snared by "Colbert Report" star Stephen Colbert, "Gilmore Girls" veteran Lauren Graham and "Daily Show" anchor Jon Stewart. Gandolfini and Sutherland's competitors on the drama side are Alan Alda of NBC's "The West Wing," Hugh Laurie of "House" and Kyra Sedgwick of TNT's "The Closer."

ma_th_bleak_house_anderson.jpg

'Masterpiece Theater: Bleak House'

In the longform field, PBS landed bids for the Martin Scorsese-produced "American Masters: Bob Dylan: No Direction Home" and "Masterpiece Theater: Bleak House." HBO earned a spot for "Elizabeth I" alongside Showtime's "Sleeper Cell" and BBC America's "Viva Blackpool."

PBS also took four out of five slots for in the news and information program category, including one for "Frontline" as a series overall and one for the "Frontline" episode "Country Boys." PBS' "American Masters" profile of comedian Bob Newhart and the retrospective "Broadway: The Golden Age" and CBS' perennial favorite newsmagazine "60 Minutes" rounded out the category.

rhighschoolmusical.jpg

'High School Musical'

Disney Channel's smash hit "High School Musical" scored a nomination in the children's programing category, where it will compete alongside PBS' venerable "Sesame Street," Nickelodeon's "Dora the Explorer" and "Nick News" and Cartoon Network's "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends."

The TCA's Heritage Award noms for programs that have made a lasting contribution to television went to the now-departed "West Wing" and NBC's "Will & Grace" and to the "Hallmark Hall of Fame" telefilm series, most of which have aired on CBS.

tcalogo_126.jpg
(winner will appear highlighted in red)

Program of the Year
"Grey's Anatomy" ~ (ABC)
"Lost" ~ (ABC)
"The Office" ~ (NBC)
"The Sopranos" ~ (HBO)
"24" ~ (Fox)

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy
"The Daily Show" ~ (Comedy Central)
"Everybody Hates Chris" ~ (UPN)
"My Name is Earl" ~ (NBC)
"The Office" ~ (NBC)
"Scrubs" ~ (NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in Drama
"Grey's Anatomy" ~ (ABC)
"House" ~ (Fox)
"Lost" ~ (ABC)
"The Sopranos" ~ (HBO)
"24" ~ (Fox)

Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Mini-Series and Specials
"American Masters: Bob Dylan: No Direction Home" ~ (PBS)
"Elizabeth I" ~ (HBO)
"Masterpiece Theatre: Bleak House" ~ (PBS)
"Sleeper Cell" ~ (Showtime)
"Viva Blackpool" ~ (BBC America)

Outstanding New Program of the Year
"Big Love" ~ (HBO)
"The Colbert Report" ~ (Comedy Central)
"Everybody Hates Chris" ~ (UPN)
"My Name Is Earl" ~ (NBC)
"Prison Break" ~ (Fox)

Individual Achievement in Comedy
Steve Carell ~ "The Office"
Stephen Colbert ~ "The Colbert Report"
Lauren Graham ~ "Gilmore Girls"
Jason Lee ~ "My Name Is Earl"
Jon Stewart ~ "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"

Individual Achievement in Drama
Alan Alda ~ "West Wing"
James Gandolfini ~ "The Sopranos"
Hugh Laurie ~ "House"
Kiefer Sutherland ~ "24"
Kyra Sedgwick ~ "The Closer"

Outstanding Achievement in Children's Programming
"Dora the Explorer" ~ (Nickelodeon)
"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" ~ (Cartoon Network)
"High School Musical" ~ (The Disney Channel)
"Nick News" ~ (Nickelodeon)
"Sesame Street" ~ (PBS)

Outstanding Achievement in News & Information
"American Masters: Newhart" ~ (PBS)
"Broadway: The Golden Age" ~ (PBS)
"Frontline" ~ (PBS)
"Frontline: Country Boys" ~ (PBS)
"60 Minutes" ~ (CBS)

Heritage Award
"Hallmark Hall of Fame" ~ (CBS)
"The West Wing" ~ (NBC)
"Will & Grace" ~ (NBC)