The Monster --- Speculations

Guest ranster627

Ranster.... well nothing earth shattering... but I'm beginning to think, remember in the first or second episode where everyone was speculating that there was a giant teradactyl (sp - the dinosaur bird) flying overhead? I think that that was the monster for real...

Have you ever seen predator? It reminds me a lot of that... kind of shimmery there but not really there see thru type apparation - almost like a heat shimmer on the pavement on a hot day... no definite shape really.

So the first time last nite - when Kate said "yeah I saw that", it looked (to me, anyway) like the shape of a tail or a back fin or something triangular almost. Again, all see thru shimmery. Same thing when it was dragging Locke - although you could kind of make out a "tentacle" or "shackle" around his leg - a grayish fuzzy thing just above his ankle.

After Kate threw the dynamite down the hole and then there was that burst of 'smoke'? Well that was also shimmery but with dirt/grass/brush mixed in - almost like a dust storm or a tornado (does any of this even make sense??)...

One thing I noticed upon second viewing last nite was remember when Locke first fell down and was looking up at the thing? He did NOT look at all excited or happy - he looked terrified. I don't know what to make of Locke...

also found this!!!! freaky ... they claim it is real!!!!

LOL...I just went and re-viewed that portion of the 1st episode from my tape...doesn't happen. Someone is being very clever though :wink:

Guest ranster627

Both of my posts I cannot vouch for, there were mixed reactions to it in the Forum I found them ... but I wanted to share just in case! :wink:

Ranster.... well nothing earth shattering... but I'm beginning to think, remember in the first or second episode where everyone was speculating that there was a giant teradactyl (sp - the dinosaur bird) flying overhead?  I think that that was the monster for real...

Have you ever seen predator?  It reminds me a lot of that... kind of shimmery there but not really there see thru type apparation - almost like a heat shimmer on the pavement on a hot day... no definite shape really.

So the first time last nite - when Kate said "yeah I saw that", it looked (to me, anyway) like the shape of a tail or a back fin or something triangular almost.  Again, all see thru shimmery.  Same thing when it was dragging Locke - although you could kind of make out a "tentacle" or "shackle" around his leg - a grayish fuzzy thing just above his ankle.  

After Kate threw the dynamite down the hole and then there was that burst of 'smoke'?  Well that was also shimmery but with dirt/grass/brush mixed in - almost like a dust storm or a tornado (does any of this even make sense??)...

One thing I noticed upon second viewing last nite was remember when Locke first fell down and was looking up at the thing?  He did NOT look at all excited or happy - he looked terrified.  I don't know what to make of Locke...

My kids also mentioned Predator. We like the fact that the monster seems to be somewhat "formless" rather than giving it definite features- at least at this time. Opens much more up to the imagination that way...takes the monster "out of the box", so to speak...

A group of us also watched the "Locke being dragged" sequence over and over in slo-mo and had differing views: some said it looked like a black rope, others said it looked like the "smoke" was pulling him, and still others saw a strange-looking bird shape towards the end before he starts going into the hole.

Guest ranster627

Been searching at other Forums like I promised you all, here is what people think is dragging Locke:

chain1.jpg 

Here you see what drags Locke into the hole...it's a SHIP CHAIN

You hear this sound...it is definitly from a chain.

chain2.jpg

For those who dont see what I see, take a look here and compare...

anchor_chain_d.jpg

I used the dodge tool in PhotoShop to lighten the pictures.

It sorta looks like a chain.

chain1.jpg 

chain2.jpg 

I honestly think, the smoke monster can take any form it wants

It looks like a tendril of the black smoke to me, twisted vaguely in the shape of a ghostly-looking anchor chain.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Ausiello

Question: Am I the only Lost fan who heard the rattling noise the Monster was making when Locke was getting carried away?

Ausiello: Nope, I heard it, too. If this thing turns out to be a theme-park ride I'm gonna be really PO'd.

LOL...I just went and re-viewed that portion of the 1st episode from my tape...doesn't happen. Someone is being very clever though :wink:

They re-ran the first half of the pilot episode just last night and I taped it and watched that part in slow motion and, actually, it does indeed happen just like in the animated gif above. You can clearly see the black mass swoop down near the engine just as it explodes then fly off quickly when watching the tape in slow motion.

Also, I clearly heard the sound of the chain as well while Locke was being pulled off and was surprised no one had mentioned it sooner. It did sound like some mechanical contraption reeling in a chain and was definitely metal-on-metal.

My theory:

It's all a Bobby Ewing dream... He'll be asleep at the bottom of the hatch, wake up at the beginning of next season and say the island monster shot J.R.

*nods convincingly*

They re-ran the first half of the pilot episode just last night and I taped it and watched that part in slow motion and, actually, it does indeed happen just like in the animated gif above. You can clearly see the black mass swoop down near the engine just as it explodes then fly off quickly when watching the tape in slow motion.

Also, I clearly heard the sound of the chain as well while Locke was being pulled off and was surprised no one had mentioned it sooner. It did sound like some mechanical contraption reeling in a chain and was definitely metal-on-metal.

My theory:

It's all a Bobby Ewing dream... He'll be asleep at the bottom of the hatch, wake up at the beginning of next season and say the island monster shot J.R.

*nods convincingly*

That video clip must have been recorded and edited in some kind of Macromedia Flash or something. I just watched that part of the first episode, it lasts like three miliseconds. So...either we've got a guy slowing clips down...or a pixel genius...

• 3 weeks later...

chain1.jpg

From In Touch Magazine ...

Peek-a-BOO...

The survivors learned that the island is also patrolled by a sercurity system (seen in above picture), dragging Locke away. Escaping the system will be a large part of season two.

Guest ranster627

okay ... maybe my imagination here but it looks like a giant lizard with its mouth open or tongue stuck out ... with arms?

Guest ranster627

I readily admit to having an over-active imagination when it comes to LOST, but I do know that Rose's Husband is alive! :wink:

• 6 months later...

The Monster/Security System.

I was re-watching the entire series this weekend to get ready for wednesday, and i had a couple of thoughts.

The others never came to the beach as a big group to abduct the survivors, as they did to the tailies. How come??

The tailies never heard this or came across this 'Monster'. How Come??

My theory, and this might be a stretch, is that the Monster/Security System has actually prevented The Others from coming to the beach to abduct the Fuselage survivors. The 'Monster' has been protceting them from The Others.

But, in argument to that, dont the others run the island and everything odd about it .... .. .. ....

The Monster/Security System.

I was re-watching the entire series this weekend to get ready for wednesday, and i had a couple of thoughts.

The others never came to the beach as a big group to abduct the survivors, as they did to the tailies. How come??

The tailies never heard this or came across this 'Monster'. How Come??

My theory, and this might be a stretch, is that the Monster/Security System has actually prevented The Others from coming to the beach to abduct the Fuselage survivors. The 'Monster' has been protceting them from The Others.

But, in argument to that, dont the others run the island and everything odd about it .... .. .. ....

I think the Others stayed away from the Fronters because they were on the side of the island with the polar bears/ dinosaurs/ smoke-chain/ big black horses. Maybe the Fronters landed in a "protected zone". Kind of like mulitple levels of security. Where the Tailies landed, because it was so far from the hatch, the security level wasn't so high...making it easier for the Others to get to them.

Maybe the Others are protecting the Tailies from the Monster. I'm starting to think that maybe the Others aren't so bad. I mean sure they kidnapped a few, and terrorized the rest, but they haven't killed anyone. I don't think the Others were part of the Hanso/ Dharma project. The Others are survivors, too.

Then their Ethan, the crazy guy from ALL of the new sci-fi shows. Was he one of the Others or a Hanso/ Dharma guy? Any why hasn't anyone mentioned him again??

Guest ranster627
Maybe the Others are protecting the Tailies from the Monster. I'm starting to think that maybe the Others aren't so bad. I mean sure they kidnapped a few, and terrorized the rest, but they haven't killed anyone. I don't think the Others were part of the Hanso/ Dharma project. The Others are survivors, too.

I am not sure where they are from, but I do think they are a little off kilter ... maybe they are survivors of experiments?

I agree they may not be so bad because I keep remembering that the one "other" that Ana killed said the kids that were abducted were in a better place ... he did not say dead! Maybe they are a little zealous, but so far I can't say they are terrible. Then again, the "others" on the boat did try to kill Jin, Michael and Sawyer ....

My hubbie thinks that the Others may be a little off kilter (his words, too :)) because of the magnetism and possible nuclear type fall-out (Siyeed talking about the construction of the hatch and it being similar to Chernobyl).

At some point in time, during one of the crash sequences, I thought I saw something out of the window (maybe the window near Jack when he's having the conversation with Rose). I just remember thinking the plane was deliberately downed instead of crashed.

With that being said, here's my running list of "monsters":

1. Polar Bear - from what I could tell the polar bear did not have the jaws or physique of a typical polar bear. i remember it was much thinner and longer, possibly a hybrid. The fur was considerable longer and snout was more like a grizzly rather than a polar bear (thanks Animal Planet)

2. Tree-Trashing Monster - totally reminiscent of Jurassic Park, even the sounds. Something was very large to take down a the trees. The high pitch screech also reminded me of the T-rex from the movie

3. Transparent Movement - again, totally Hollywood reminiscent, but this time I half expected Governor Schwarzenegger to come flying out of the jungle. However, now that I know about the magnetic forces below ground, maybe it is more of an effect on the individuals above ground

4. Big Black Horse - this creature has more of a Jessica Fletcher/ Murder She Wrote effect. If I see this thing and Kate is near me, I would be scared. Similar to if Jessica Fletcher shows up near me, someone is going to die. :)

5. Strange Smoke - I can't remember this happening anytime other than when Locke was being pulled. I do recall hearing the chain sound. It appears that he may have tripped a mechanical device/ trap. I can't explain why he thinks it's smoke, other than Locke, of all the survivors, is the one who really WANTS it to be something else.

6. The Whispering - this is the one that has really gotten my goat. I keep thinking that the island is almost a deprivation tank experiment gone haywire. If you've ever been in one of the tanks, after a short while you start thinking that the voices in your head/ imagination are REAL.

I know my post is re-hashing what others (not the Others) have said, but I thought I'd throw it out there until Wednesday. BTW - the promo said ALL of my quetions would be answered. I persoanlly think that with every answer I get, I'm going to gave two more questions. :D

Well we got to see the monster REALLY GOOD this episode! lol

I really want to know what it is!

It reminds me of when the aliens take over the water in The Abyss and it snakes through their place and copies her face and blah blah etc... well except this is black smoke and not water :P heh

I know I saw something when we saw it from behind. Damn! I wish I had recorded it so I could pause it to see what it was.

Looked almost like a ghost in there from what I remember.

Someone needs to post some pics! heh

EDIT:

OOOO Saw on another forum.. someone posted a link to this page with shots of the monster. It shows shots of Echo's memories :o

How interesting!

Guest ranster627
EDIT:

OOOO Saw on another forum.. someone posted a link to this page with shots of the monster. It shows shots of Echo's memories :o

How interesting!

Can you post that link?

BTW ... great comparison to the Abyss!!!!

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name