Disappointment in season finale?

CeCiMom

I know I'll still be around for next season but, I was a bit disappointed in the finale.

1) Arzt geting killed. Too obvious. (but, I guess I don't mind as it was better him than one of our favs.)

2) Arzt talk with Hurley. Obviously the writers have been looking at fan message boards and tried to "address" some of the small issues we've had... ie, Hurley not losing weight.

3) They didn't really clarify ANY questions and there was no dramatic cliff hangers. I know we have some new questions... like what they want Walt for but, didn't we all sorta know that if there were people kidnapping others that Walt was obvious. It's not like his "special powers" were unknown to us... so, I'm sure they're not unknown to "them".

4) They opened the vault.. but, we still don't know anything about it or what it is... only it's a seemingly neverending tunnel.

5) We didn't really see the "monster" or did we? It's still not answered. Also, besides the cloaked black smoke... I think I saw some kind of hairy limb at Locke's feet when he was being pulled through the jungle. But, again... we didn't really "see it".

6) The scene where all the castaways are boarding the plane. I know this is trivial but, I didn't like that they did a piss poor job of hiding that their hair is longer now and that it was now and not back then. Ie... Jack's hair was clipped almost bald in the season opener but, he had his "now" hair when he boarded the plane. Also, Sawyer's hair was pulled back to make it look shorter and Sayid hair was slicked back and pulled back to look shorter. Maybe I only notice this cause I'm a girl but, it took me out of the moment.

7) As soon as Rousseau said she heard "the others" whispering that they were going to take "the boy"... I knew immediately that they were talking about Walt and not Turniphead. So, maybe I would have been more shocked if it had been written more cleaverly or acted in a way as to not give that away to me.

So, that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure more will come to me and I'm not saying that I won't watch Lost... I'm just saying that I really hope that they had more than the first couple episodes thought out before this season started cause nothing will PO more than if we new writers in this summer (which I think I may have read here already) and that the writers haven't written themselves into a corner where nothing can be answered satisfactorially... if that makes sense. Unfortunetely, we've seen series do this before... Have a great concept for a series but, they don't plan enough out in advance and it just unravels as they try to keep our interest/suspense... gosh does anyone know what I'm saying... LOL

You and many others. I myself have been reading a few other forums this morning. Moderators are being slammed at one because they are locking and removed all the threads that say "LAST NIGHT SUCKED" too fast for the posters.. LOL

I think for most, people wanted more. From what I've read, they WANTED to see what was in the hatch. They wanted to see the monster and they wanted closure. BUT, if we got all that why would we come back. I think if they got it all they would also complain. :wink:

I think they should have given us a little more where the hatch and the monster was concerned. I think that just the "others" talking Walt and Sawyer getting shot was enough of a cliffhanger for us to come back.

A long tunnel and half a ladder!?! :roll: A big weird bird and a smokey monster?!? :evil: Alas, I will be back next season. :lol:

On the flip side. It

Guest ranster627

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode as part of a chain, but I do feel let down because I feel we were promised answers ...

Why am I now thinking we have more answers than we realized on first watching?

One answer is that there ARE others and Rousseau is not as crazy as we thought, rather she is a pathetic woman searching for her daughter and caught in an endless cycle of grief because she was alone for so long ...

Im going to watch it again today and come back. I think sometimes this show has so much we dont "see" at first that maybe we (or just me...lol) didnt get it.

I also agree about Rousseau.

Guest ranster627

I have watched it twice now, and keep noticing things ... so I will watch it again over the weekend ...

I will be watching again too. I guess my point is that this finale' really was not different than any of the other eppy's we've seen. In that we always have unanswered questions, we always "know" a little more but, very little more about what we want to know... LOL

I guess I was just expecting this HUGE season finale with at least one huge answer and one NEW huge cliffhanger. I just don't feel that's what we got. We just got another eppy ... just a bit longer.

As far as Sawyer being shot... Ummmm let's not jump to conclusions? LOL :P It was very dark and maybe he was just jumping out of the way when he saw they had a gun... or maybe I'm just wishful thinking. tee hee

Guest ranster627

I think he was shot in the shoulder ... not life threatening necessarily, but shot for sure!

I was a tiny bit disappointed - when it ended and Locke and Jack were just peering down into the hatch and it faded to black I said that's it? Not that I expected to see anything in particular, but why not leave us with another light turning on, maybe a mechanical screech (if a mechanical thing is down there) or maybe even the ladder wiggling a bit to make it seem like someone/thing was coming up?

Overall it was a good episode. I will defiantely be watching it again this weekend - in preparation of the Pilot 1 on Wednesday.... I'm wondering if there is something in the pilot that we missed way back when that will be explained by the finale, or vice versa.

Watched it all last nite, and then the last hour a second time. Only noticed floor 23 in the Hurley scene the first time I watched it - but then picked up on ALL the numbers the second time around (gate #'s, the soccer girls jerseys, etc...)

For those with tivo/similar dvr program (or good vcr!) I highly recommend watching the scene with the monster in slo-mo. Start at the part right before Kate says to Jack "yeah I saw that" all the way till they get Locke out of the hole... very interesting.

Any time... I spent about 10 minutes trying to get the tivo to pause at just the right time to catch it - one millisecond off and the door was either too open or too closed to get a look at it, lol!!

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Insider

050526water.jpg

Lost

Hurley quietly stared at the pirate ship docked miles inland and asked, "How exactly does something like this happen?" And the crazy French lady glared and snidely replied, "Are you on the same island as I am?" It's about time, after more than a month, that someone start analyzing and talking about the wacky happenings on Mystery Island. And dude, if I were Hurley and saw those numbers, you couldn't have gotten me anywhere near that open hatch leading to Hell or Atlantis or some weird mummy dust or whatever. I would have taken off in the other direction as fast as my chubby legs would carry me. Though Hurley did have the best line of the night when he told Jack, "You've got some Arzt on you." Was anyone shocked that the know-it-all science guy was offed? He was totally expendable. But seriously, I did jump off my couch when he exploded; thank goodness for the instant replay feature on TiVo. Let's have a moment of rambling for the much-married geeky guy who taught us when to go sailing, exposed all the island cliques, instructed us about the touchy nature of nitroglycerin and griped about the fact that Jin doesn't catch fish for everyone. Too bad he sought a friendly ear in Jinx Boy, who in addition to the clever line, also had the best flashback of the night with his haphazard trip through the airport, which showed off more of the numbers, from the soccer jerseys, to the $1600 bucks he used to borrow some guy's scooter and the diminishing KPH of his car, which started at 15 and then dropped from 8 to 4. I'm very excited that I have more numbers to mull over during the summer hiatus, and if anyone had a nice TV and was able to tell what floor the elevator stopped on, let me know. 'K?

While Hurley and Kate were stuck in the middle of Jack and Locke's tension and testosterone-riddled discussion about whose life philosophy is better, potential concussions were all the rage on the other side of the land of the lost *#151 both at the hand of the aforementioned crazy French lady. First she knocked Claire out to steal her baby, and then she set a rock-filled trap that fell on Charlie's head. Good thing Sayid knew that gross trick to cauterize a wound with gunpowder and flames. I've learned so many cool science-y things tonight! Thank goodness little Turniphead, aka Aaron, was found by the happy hobbit and returned to his rightful mother. Just when I start to think that Rousseau really is just crazy, and there are no others; she's just manipulative and for some reason wants Claire's kid, freakin' J.J. Abrams and Co. blow my theories right out of the water with the motley crew of "others" who came after Walt. Now maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake, or just fell victim to some clever misdirection, but I never saw that coming. Sharks, Captain Nemo, the scary cannibalistic squids that I saw on the Discovery channel? Sure all of those possibilities came to mind when I thought of the fate of the rafters, but never that the Others were really after Walt, or that they had a boat. And what do they want with the special boy and his powers to do things like translating those polar bears from Hugo's Spanish comic book into reality? That just can't be good. If Sawyer, Jin and Michael survive the long swim back to shore, I'm sure that the delinquent-turned-doting dad will search that massive (as he was quick to point out) island in search of his missing son. Hopefully he's not some sacrifice for the island's monster. Instead, let's leave that to Locke, who believes that it is his fate to be taken by the unseen creature. Maybe he's right, maybe he's not. At least he finally fessed up to killing Boone; his wackadoodle theories about fate might not fly in the real world, but on this insane island, you just never know.

Aaah! I just finished typing a loonnnggg post, only to have it disappear when i hit "submit"! It took me to log in again...I must have been logged out sometime during my typing. SO FRUSTRATING! Well, you can all be happy cuz I'll condense down my original post :D

For me, the finale pluses were:

1. Arzt's demise- although many were predicting he would meet his end in the finale, it was not how I thought it would happen- and at the beginning of the show too...Brilliant! Too bad he had to go though; he was an annoyingly interesting character. Oh well, only Hurley can have the best lines anyway- "uh...you've got some Arzt on you." Darkly hilarious!

2. The use of, and non-use of, music at just the right times. I mean, the "others" arrival scene was made that much more suspenseful without the use of music.

3. "The Others" arrival. Very suspenseful (made more so with lack of music!). I thought this was well-done, other than "the others" seemed a bit charicatureish (sp?). It answered the question of who they were after and yet left the door open to alot of unanswered questions for next season.

At our LOST party last night, we were all wondering about the young woman who threw the homemade bomb onto the raft...we replayed that scene over and over, trying to determine how old she looked. Could this possibly be Rousseau's daughter??? I mean, she'd have to be at least 16 by now, right? Thoughts to ponder....

4. The interaction between Lock and Jack...definite foreshadowing going on here. The questions I want most answered- more than the whole "Where's Waldo", err, I mean, "Where's Walt" thing, revolve around Locke. There is just too much there...Locke wants desperately to open the hatch, but not for the same reason as Jack, I'm sure of it. He had to have already seen what was down the hatch when he viewed the light turning earlier, so he already knew about the ladder. And after returning to camp, he was walking perfectly again...oops, I digress....

5. The monster. Yes, at first I was a bit disappointed, but after viewing the monster scenes several times I actually think I'm satisfied, at least for now. I mean, the writers really have a tough job of pleasing everyone when it comes to the monster. Does it have two leg or four legs? Is it hairy? Does it have claws or teeth? These are the questions asked, but many the viewers already have a somewhat preconceived idea of what they think the monster looks like, or what they think it SHOULD look like...so, I think they came up with the best possible solution by keeping it "mystical-looking" and yet very real to the castaways- and us!

6. The Jin/ hawaiian shirt man bathroom encounter. Who's with me in thinking that Mr. Hawaiian Shirt will show up somewhere next season with Ana Lucia and Rose's husband? :wink:

7. The fun "easter eggs" thrown in for the fans...Charlie in the elevator, Locke being wheeled by while Michael is on the phone...and, of course, searching for the numbers...

The finale minuses for me were:

1. The whole Rousseau/Claire baby scenario- one-episode questions and answers all tied up for us in a neat little bowclue of who "the others" were really after...and the return of Aaron to Claire was touching.

Aaronlex...

2. Showing Charlie's backpack with the Virgin Mary statue in it...waaay too predictable. So predictable that one can probably guess that he'll probably revert back to the heroin to stave off the pain from his Sayid-induced head wound. I guess it does open up more possibilities for his character in future episodes...can't say I like it though....

3. The hatch ending. I wanted more!! I liked someone's idea of the ladder jiggling, or a light coming on, or seeing a shadow descending into the darkness. SOMETHING!

4. I thought I read somewhere that the producers claimed we would see how or why the plane went down during the finale...nothing. I also thought that we might see more characters such as Ana Lucia and Rose's husband- at the very least, during the plane boarding scene. once again, nothing. And what about the whole "Vincent the dog in the cargo hold" scenario? Someone is having a good laugh somewhere...

Well, despite the finale's great moments and shortcomings, there is one thing I do know- I'm still hooked! :D

Arzt's demise- although many were predicting he would meet his end in the finale' date=' it was not how I thought it would happen- and at the beginning of the show too...Brilliant! Too bad he had to go though; he was an annoyingly interesting character. Oh well, only Hurley can have the best lines anyway- "uh...you've got some Arzt on you."

My sister in law had just stopped saying "Damn Arzt is so annoying" when he blew up, lol... I also like him, annoying and kind of interesting, also kind of pitiful at the same time...

"The Others" arrival. Very suspenseful (made more so with lack of music!). I thought this was well-done, other than "the others" seemed a bit charicatureish (sp?). It answered the question of who they were after and yet left the door open to alot of unanswered questions for next season.

At our LOST party last night, we were all wondering about the young woman who threw the homemade bomb onto the raft...we replayed that scene over and over, trying to determine how old she looked. Could this possibly be Rousseau's daughter??? I mean, she'd have to be at least 16 by now, right? Thoughts to ponder....

I agree - I was on the edge of my seat from the moment Jin pointed to his ears telling his raftmates to listen... I also thought that yes, that very well could ahve been Rousseau's daughter - who would be 17 or just shy of it.

The monster. Yes' date=' at first I was a bit disappointed, but after viewing the monster scenes several times I actually think I'm satisfied, at least for now. I mean, the writers really have a tough job of pleasing everyone when it comes to the monster. Does it have two leg or four legs? Is it hairy? Does it have claws or teeth? These are the questions asked, but many the viewers already have a somewhat preconceived idea of what they think the monster looks like, or what they think it SHOULD look like...so, I think they came up with the best possible solution by keeping it "mystical-looking" and yet very real to the castaways- and us! [/quote']

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Aaron

Aaron's father's name was Thomas -- I thought the same thing last nite!

The hatch ending. I wanted more!! I liked someone's idea of the ladder jiggling' date=' or a light coming on, or seeing a shadow descending into the darkness. SOMETHING! [/quote']

I said the exact same thing... give us something, anything, any little tidbit. Some sort of noise from hatch-ville perhaps??

And what about the whole "Vincent the dog in the cargo hold" scenario? Someone is having a good laugh somewhere...

What do you mean? Vincent was in the cargo hold... Did I miss something?

Well' date=' despite the finale's great moments and shortcomings, there is one thing I do know- I'm still hooked! :D[/quote']

ME TOO!!!!!

Aaron

Aaron's father's name was Thomas -- I thought the same thing last nite!

And what about the whole "Vincent the dog in the cargo hold" scenario? Someone is having a good laugh somewhere...

What do you mean? Vincent was in the cargo hold... Did I miss something?

Thanks for the info on Aaron's father's name...I never caught that!

Regarding Vincent the dog...there was some speculation floating around the internet spoiler sites at one time (I think it might have been from the producers themselves) that we would see a small portion of the finale from Vincent the dogs vantage point -which would have been in the cargo hold or wherever it is that they keep pets on a plane :wink: . Anyway, it never happened, which leads me to believe it was purposeful false info. or just made up to give the inventor of the theory a great laugh :lol: ...

Aaah, gotcha!!!

I was thinking though (always thinking :wink: ) that the others are probably taking walt back to the island... maybe vincent will sense that he's back and try to go looking for him - and maybe we'll get a doggy eyed view then?

Och!No complaints here except tae hope Claire gets blown up next time.That girls constant crying & blathering in crisis per episodes a wee bit much! :shock:

My only complaint about the finale was the Ship. It looked like a ship right out of Disneyland, complete with it's perfectly hung vines and no spider webs. Geez that looked sooooo fake!