Season 3 General Spoilers

Jem

Season 3 General Spoilers:
  • 05/20 - "We're going to focus on domestic drama at home," Cherry says. "And I'm going to work much harder to criss-cross all the women's stories so that their lives bump up against each other." To help make that possible, Lynette will eventually end up back home, a change that makes Huffman happy. "I loved being at work, but maybe it was time to work my way out of the office," she says. "But I can't just go back to being a stay-at-home mom, because we've seen that done and after a while it's not that fun to watch." Although he's still formulating a Season 3 story line for Susan, Cherry says the character will be dealing with her daughter, Julie, growing up and beginning to date. And Andrea Bowen, who plays Julie, says she's more than ready. "It's time for something a little more spicy," she says. "Julie's just so good." As for romance, all Denton will say is, "I have a lot to do in the finale"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 06/07 - Susan's getting a new love interest next season. Casting will begin in the next week or two, and the role is for six to eight episodes. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide
Spoilerfix.com

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

07/01 - According to [Kevin] Murphy, [head writer,] early episodes will deal with the emerging relationship between Bree and Orson, which he calls "dark and exciting." The writers are also adding a new love interest for Susan, and turning the story between mutual adulterers Gabrielle and Carlos into a "War of the Roses"-style plot, he said. Source: Variety

07/01 - If Mike recovers from that hit and run (and I

07/15 - I got a tip that Scottish actor Dougray Scott

Part of THE AUSIELLO REPORT

Jeff Greenstein, Desperate Housewives

What changes did you want to see, coming in?

Jeff Greenstein: To me, as a fan, I want a more compelling mystery and I want the show to be funnier. We started months earlier than they did last year. We spent a lot of time working out the arc of the mystery, and you're going to get a better, more compelling mystery. It's smack-dab in the center of the show. It involves Bree and the man that she has married, Orson, played by Kyle MacLachlan. And at the same time, the show is going to be funnier. That's something that [former Frasier scribe and new DH producer] Joe Keenan and I have hammered away at a lot. So we're approaching story lines from the perspective of, "Yes, we want them to be compelling and dramatic and emotional and real, but we also want it to be funny."

I heard that the Orson mystery is going to be much different from what was originally planned.

Greenstein: I wasn't really privy to what last year's plan was. We were encouraged to come in with a bit of a clean slate and proceed from where we left off. Orson hits Mike with a car. Why'd he do that? A romance was ignited between Bree and Orson. Where are we going? So we really started with a blank sheet of paper and thought, "What would be the most compelling thing we could come up with and hook all the women into it? Mike's hooked into it; Susan's hooked into it; Bree's obviously very hooked into it; Bree's kids get hooked into it.

So Orson is at the center of all this?

Greenstein: Really, Bree is at the hot center of it. And Kyle is great. He can go from charming to enigmatic in the flash of an eyebrow. He's a great character to write for in that regard. And also he and Bree are two of a kind. They're both kind of compulsive, they love things done in a certain way, they're emotionally repressed.... They're fun to write together.

And what about Susan's new love interest (played by Dougray Scott)?

Greenstein: Here's how he figures into it: Mike is in a coma at the start of the year, so Susan has been dutifully attending to him. In the course of doing so, she meets a handsome man whose wife is in a coma across the hall. And the analogy Marc used, which I love, is that as she's dutifully attending to the comatose Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant walks in. So they become sort of coma buddies. It starts out with the two of them sharing coffee in the hallway, and it sort of blossoms into a romance. Obviously, that's going to get really complicated when Mike comes around.

Susan became unbearable last season. Your thoughts?

Greenstein: I think it is important that she have strong and relatable things to play. So we thought it would be fun to get her into a bona fide romantic-comedy kind of relationship that threatens her preexisting relationship with Mike. She's got a lot of really strong stuff to play. There is some physical comedy, 'cause I think she's adorable doing it. There's a wonderful moment in the first episode with her and Dougray.... He's really charming, very different from James Denton. So I think it'll give her some really good stuff to play and show you some sides to the character we haven't gotten to yet.

Where's Bree's son, and how long is it going to take him to find his way home?

Greenstein: He'll come back, and we learn what he was doing while he was away. We find out what he's been up to by the way Bree finds him. That happens early in the season.

What about Edie?

Greenstein: Her nephew, Austin [Aaron Stanford, aka X-Men's Pyro, was allegedly circling the role, but now I'm told that isn't happening], comes to town and begins a relationship with Susan's daughter, Julie. So that becomes sort of a Montague-Capulet sort of situation. It's fun seeing Edie in a parental context. We haven't really seen that too much.

Will Lynette still be in the office?

Greenstein: We're in the middle of working on the sixth episode, and we're not really doing that much with Lynette at the office. I think most of what you'll be seeing is Lynette's home life and how her life with Tom is threatened by the interloper Nora, and also the fact that she's got a new daughter to attend to in Kayla. Kayla's sort of an enigmatic figure, who becomes more and more interesting as the season moves on. Lynette's going to have some trouble integrating yet another kid into the family.

And Gabrielle?

Greenstein: Gabrielle's got a great story. [When] we pick up at the start of the season, Xiao-Mei is eight and a half months pregnant, so the roles have reversed. Xiao-Mei has been put on bed rest, and now Gabrielle has to wait on her, which is really funny. At the same time, she's going through an increasingly bitter and acrimonious divorce with Carlos. They're trying to hold together the chards of their relationship because they have a kid on the way. So these two trains are converging, and those things will crash into each other early in the season.

How much time will have passed between the finale and the premiere?

Greenstein: Six months. It's a great thing. It's something we hit on early in the story-breaking process. It gives us the opportunity to throttle forward to the moment of maximum dramatic impact. Xiao-Mei is on the verge of giving birth; Lynette is reaching her breaking point with Nora; Bree and Orson are getting engaged. All of a sudden we're reaching a point of maximum drama. I think one of the things that we took away from last season was, "Let's get up and running fast. Let's get into the hot drama of these situations as quickly as possible." It felt like some of the early episodes of last season were in the business of setting things up. Now we forget the setup and go right to the crisis.

Did you consider getting rid of narration?

Greenstein: Never going to happen.

Last season it felt like the narration was forcing the writers to tie all the stories together, and it showed.

Greenstein: Theme is so important to the making of these episodes, from the moment that we break the story. We're never trying to artificially paste a theme on after the fact. We start with the idea of, "This is a story about baggage." So we talk about what everybody's baggage is in the story and how they try to escape from it over the course of an episode. And to me, it helps enrich the show, so when Mary Alice is talking, she isn't trying to force something that isn't really there.

What if all the stories don't fit together nicely?

Greenstein: We make sure [they do]. If we have a story that is about getaways and it doesn't fit into a particular episode, we move it down the board a little bit until it fits into a thematic hole in an attempt to make the show more unified. The women are checking in with each other more, there will be more group scenes, group crises. The show needs to be funnier, and theme is really important

07/21 - Consulting producer Jeff Greenstein reveals: We spent a lot of time working out the arc of the mystery, and you're going to get a better, more compelling mystery. It's smack-dab in the center of the show. It involves Bree and the man that she has married, Orson, played by Kyle MacLachlan. And at the same time, the show is going to be funnier. [Andrew] will come back, and we learn what he was doing while he was away. We find out what he's been up to by the way Bree finds him. That happens early in the season. We're in the middle of working on the sixth episode, and we're not really doing that much with Lynette at the office. I think most of what you'll be seeing is Lynette's home life and how her life with Tom is threatened by the interloper Nora, and also the fact that she's got a new daughter to attend to in Kayla. Kayla's sort of an enigmatic figure, who becomes more and more interesting as the season moves on. Lynette's going to have some trouble integrating yet another kid into the family. Gabrielle's got a great story. When we pick up at the start of the season, Xiao-Mei is eight and a half months pregnant, so the roles have reversed. Xiao-Mei has been put on bed rest, and now Gabrielle has to wait on her, which is really funny. At the same time, she's going through an increasingly bitter and acrimonious divorce with Carlos. They're trying to hold together the chards of their relationship because they have a kid on the way. So these two trains are converging, and those things will crash into each other early in the season. Source: The Ausiello Report

07/26 - From the Associated Press, via TV Guide, comes word from series creator Marc Cherry that a November storyline will involve a ''huge hostage situation in a supermarket,'' that Lynette and several other primary characters will be present, that one character will be wounded, and that one lead will be killed. Source: Entertainment Weekly

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK AUSIELLO

Question: Do you have any Desperate Housewives scoop?

08/02 - Carlos and Gabrielle will divorce early on this season. Word on the street is that John will be back. Source: SpoilerFix BuddyTV Spoilers Chat

08/09 - Anyone wanna guess what hobby Andrew took up shortly after Bree dumped him off on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere? Here's a clue: **s***n*. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide

• 2 weeks later...

08/23 - Someone will die, but it won't be one of the four leads. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Sex Scene Leak Has Housewives Steaming

ABC is looking into how a rough cut of a sex scene from the new season of Desperate Housewives found its way onto YouTube a month before the episode is scheduled to air. According to Variety, the encounter in question finds Nomi Bree begging off a certain, um, "sexual favor" offered by new beau Orson (Kyle MacLachlan)

General Spoilers:

09/01 - ABC is looking into how a rough cut of a sex scene from the new season of Desperate Housewives found its way onto YouTube a month before the episode is scheduled to air. According to Variety, the encounter in question finds Bree begging off a certain, um, "sexual favor" offered by new beau Orson (Kyle MacLachlan)

General Spoilers:

09/07 - According to Eva Longoria, Marc Cherry knew Marcia Cross was trying to get pregnant and is planning to incorporate the pregnancy in the show. Source: MSNBC

General Spoilers:

09/11 - [Nora] is going to be living with [the Scavos], from what I hear. And the whole situation will be dipped in nuts. She drives Lynette so crazy, they actually try to hook her up with someone who is currently someone else

General Spoilers:

09/18 - Orson: The dreamy dentist becomes a full-time presence as Bree's husband and a man of mystery. "He believes he has found his soul mate," says MacLachlan. "Orson is a mass of contradictions -- he appears to be one thing and continually reveals himself to be more than that." Ian: While tending to his comatomse wife in the hospital, the English publisher finds and unlikely romance with Susan, who's been watching over another coma patient, Mike. "He's bumbling at times," says [Dougray] Scott. "He kind of blossoms after he rediscovers his romantic juices with Susan." Those still rooting for a Susan-Mike reunion, beware: "Ian certainly has aspirations for a long-term romantic relationship." Austin: [Edie's] 18-year-old bad-boy nephew moves in with her and pursues a romance with Susan's daughter, Julie -- much to Susan's horror. "He just stirs up trouble right from the get-go," says [Josh] Henderson. "He has this sarcasm about him that's light and fun. He's charming, funny, and he doesn't play like he is, but he's smart also." Source: Entertainment Weekly

General Spoilers:

09/28 - Speaking of Mike, I'm hearing that he may have some memory-loss issues when he awakens from his deep sleep. In other DH news, turns out Marcia Cross' pregnancy will not be written into the show

• 3 weeks later...

General Spoilers:

10/18 - The show is casting a new love interest for Gabby. Producers are looking for a ruggedly handsome actor in his mid-30s for a three-episode arc. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide

• 3 weeks later...

General Spoilers:

11/08 - We're going to see a lot more of Lynette's new hostage buddy, Art; she's going to discover something surprising in his basement. And no, it's not Alfre Woodard. (Think Mark Foley.) In other DH news, Marc Cherry is introducing a female lawyer in her mid-thirties that will figure into the Ian/Susan/Mike triangle. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide

• 1 month later...

General Spoilers:

12/14 - Executive producer Marc Cherry is considering a male narrator for a very special episode which would focus mostly on the men of Wisteria Lane. "The whole show would be told from a male point of view," Cherry tells TV Guide. The narrator will be DH's favorite dead husband, Rex Van De Kamp. "I was sitting in a makeup chair on the set of my new show, [ABC's mid-season series] Traveler, and my cell phone rang," says Steven Culp, who played Rex. "It was Marc. He told me he wanted me to be the narrator. I said fabulous. They could change their minds, but I hope not." Source: TV Guide Online

• 2 weeks later...

General Spoilers:

12/18 - Orson ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon. I'm told producers adore Kyle MacLachlan so much, they've tweaked his original storyline in order to keep him around longer. Source: Kristin on E!Online

• 2 weeks later...

General Spoilers:

01/10 - It looks like boy-toy-crazy Gabrielle is gonna try her luck with an older man. Marc Cherry is casting a new love interest for Gabby, the chief requirement being that he must be at least 20 years her senior. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide

General Spoilers:

01/18 - [Andrew] is going to return to his old ways when he suspects Orson of pushing Bree off a ladder. Marc Cherry announced at press tour on Sunday that Nicollette Sheridan's role on the show is getting beefed up, partly to fill the void left by bedridden Marcia Cross, and partly because, well, it's about bloody time. Edie's gonna make a play for Carlos. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide