'Dreamgirls'

TV_Paige

• 6 months later...

Reuters100x26.jpg

Keith Robinson Joins 'Dreamgirls' Cast

keith_robinson.jpg

Keith Robinson

Effie gets a 'reel' brother! In another key piece of casting, Keith Robinson has joined the lineup of the movie version of the Broadway musical "Dreamgirls," the tale of a '60s girl group loosely based on the Supremes. Robinson's credits range from "Fat Albert" to the recent FX series, "Over There" and NBC's "American Dreams."

Robinson will play the composer C.C., brother of the pivotal character of Effie, recently filled by former "American Idol" finalist Jennifer Hudson. The casting represents a particular coup because at one point, R&B heartthrob Usher was reported to be in negotiations for the part, though no deal was able to be reached.

With filming on the DreamWorks/Paramount Pictures production set to begin in January under the direction of Bill Condon ("Kinsey"), the rest of the cast is quickly taking shape. Last week, DreamWorks announced that Hudson will play Effie, the role made famous by Jennifer Holiday in the original 1981 Broadway show when Holiday belted out her signature tune, "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going."

Along with Hudson, Beyonc

Could that be a limited engagement with the proceeds going toward charity? I've heard of that recently. A film is designated to increase ticket sale prices for a limited release and after the charity promotion is over, the regular ticket prices are back. Just a thought.

"American Idol's" Jennifer Hudson just won a 2006 National Board of Review Award for Breakthrough Performance of an Actress. She shared the honor with another actress in a rare tie in the category but she did receive one of her first accolades for the role. Congrats Jennifer!