Da Vinci Code

Adria0

After all of the anticipation for the Da Vinci code movie, critics had mixed reactions after it debuted at the Cannes film festival. Many say it was disapointing, even dull compared to the book. The movie premieres in the USA tomorrow, May 19th.

200px-The_da_vinci_code.jpg

Although I am a huge Hanks fan (along with a fan of most of the cast), I must say when I read and reread the book, I never pictured Tom Hanks. I pictured someone tougher...older...not the guy from Bossom Buddies.

It seems that most of the protesters are the same ones that camped out for Passion of the Christ. Go figure.

But here's my question...has there EVER been a movie that was better than the book?

Although I am a huge Hanks fan (along with a fan of most of the cast), I must say when I read and reread the book, I never pictured Tom Hanks. I pictured someone tougher...older...not the guy from Bossom Buddies.

It seems that most of the protesters are the same ones that camped out for Passion of the Christ. Go figure.

But here's my question...has there EVER been a movie that was better than the book?

YES :) The Lord Of The Rings. ALL of them! :D

YES :) The Lord Of The Rings. ALL of them! :D

Doh!! As soon as I posted that question, I was thinking, der...LOR is pretty close. Although they left lots out, I wouldn't have minded a 6 hour movie...or special DVD...but I'm a nerd, what can I say.

I can't wait to see DVC. I am going Sat. night with some friends. They say the movie is 2.5 hrs long...WOW! The local radio station had a sneak peak this morning at 7am and they were talking about how good it really was. Most had read the book and enjoyed the movie just as much as the book itself. We will see....

My husband and I are going to see DVC tonight. (Thank goodness my dad came in town for a visit. :) ) They had a sneak preview of it here yesterday (Houston) and this morning the radio talk shows were talking about how great it was and they have no idea why the Cannes people jeered it so much. Most were giving it a 9 out of 10 rating... guess I'll see for myself tonight. :D

Well, I thought it was a good movie. I'd give it an 8. There were some minor problems with it but, overall it kept me intrigued, had some good performances and the story was interesting.

My biggest problem with the movie is that it felt rushed in a few places. But, it also was a bit too long too. There are intricacies to the plot of the movie that I needed to have time to settle into my brain and digest but, the film didn't give enough time to do that. Since I didn't read the book, I felt a bit lost at times. But, it wasn't so bad that I wasn't able to catch up and follow the story.

One performance that I wasn't looking forward to in THIS movie was Tom Hanks but, he was surprisingly more fitting for this character than I thought he would be.

My husband read the book and he gives it a 9.5.

(Side note: I had the pleasure :rolleyes: of sitting next to a couple. The man kept repeating the dialogue to his wife in Japanese. Can I just say if you're not going to understand what's being said, and there are no subtitles, WAIT FOR THE GOSH DARN DVD!!! :angry: )

We'll we tried to go see it this weekend at the drive-in (I have to say, if there is a drive-in in your town...GO TO IT). The plan was to see "Over the Hedge" and while our son slept, watch DVC. Unfortunately, Over the Hedge was SOOO awesome, our sone didn't go to sleep. SO instead of trying to watch & explain the movie to a 3 year old, we stayed and watched "RV". So, the bar has been set for the DVC...a very low bar...but a bar none the less.

Hopefully I will get to see it soon. To those who saw it already, how was the rest of the cast?

I took my sister to see the DaVinci Code last night. It was a fairly good movie but NOT as good as the book by any means. There were parts that were just left hanging....where in the book, they were fully explained.

I thought Tom Hanks did a reasonable job in this movie. But he could have been more expressive and act more enthusiastic. It was like he had no energy and had to make himself say his lines.

I really don't know what to think about the movies storyline tho. I guess anything is possible since Jesus was a human being. BUT it is hard to swallow some of it. Opus Dei is a really sadistic organization that lives on today. I can't understand how they think self torture and mutilation is going to get them to Heaven.{{{Shivers}}}

All in All....This movie reminded me a lot of National Treasure and Indiana Jones quest for the Holy Grail. Both great movies in my opinion.

Now I'm off to read up on Mary Magdalene!! :)

• 5 weeks later...

I give it an 8. Was lucky enough to be able to stop and start when I needed, so the fact that it was long didn't bother me. Will probably watch it again.

Hubby thought it was crap, but he has no taste when it comes to movies. <_<:rolleyes:

LMAO... Even though my hubby loved this movie he's the same way. He needs farting, vomit or prat falls to be humored... blech, men! :D

• 2 months later...