2006 BET Awards

ap_100.jpg

Jamie Foxx Leads BET Nominees

JamieFoxxPicture.jpg

Jamie Foxx

Jamie Foxx leads the field with five nominations for the 2006 BET Awards, including Best Male R&B Artist and Best Actor. Chaka Khan will be presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award and Harry Belafonte will receive a Humanitarian Award. The nominations were announced on Tuesday, May 16.

The Black Entertainment Television Awards in music, television, film and sports will be presented on Tuesday, June 27. Damon Wayans will host the show, to air live from the Shrine Auditorium at 8 p.m. ET. Performers will include West, Blige, Mariah Carey and T.I.

Foxx is also nominated for Video of the Year for "Gold Digger" with Kanye West. He was nominated twice in the Best Duet/Collaboration category, for "Gold Digger" with West and for "Unpredictable" with Ludacris. Busta Rhymes, Missy Elliott and Mary J. Blige have four nominations each, and West, Ne-Yo and Chris Brown have three nominations each.

• 1 month later...
bet_awards_06_rect.jpg
2006 BET Awards
(winners will appear highlighted in red)

Music

Best Male Hip Hop Artist
50 Cent
Busta Rhymes
Common

T.I.
Kanye West

Best Female Hip Hop Artist
Missy Elliott
Lil' Kim
Remy Ma
Shawnna
Trina

Best Male R&B Artist
Chris Brown
Jamie Foxx
Anthony Hamilton
Ne-Yo

Prince

Best Female R&B Artist
Beyonc

bet_awards_06_rect.jpg

BET J's Humanitarian Award

Harry_Belafonte.jpg

Harry Belafonte

Harry Belafonte epitomizes a true Renaissance figure. Following in the footsteps of Paul Robeson, Belafonte has mapped out an outstanding career as a singer, actor, activist and humanitarian. Belafonte will be the recepient of the first BET J's Humanitarian Award on Tuesday, June 27 at 8 p.m. on BET.

It's difficult to talk about African-American struggle and progress

bet_awards_06_rect.jpg

BET Lifetime Achievement Award

chaka_khan.jpg

Chaka Khan

When Chaka Khan belted out the immortal "I'm Every Woman," the song not only announced a new blossoming phase of an already outstanding artist, it signaled the arrival of a true diva. Khan will be the recepient of this year's BET Lifetime Achievement Award on Tuesday, June 27 at 8 p.m. on BET.

Released in 1978 and penned by the husband-and-wife team, Ashford & Simpson, "I'm Every Woman" became an anthem for every other female powerhouse singer wanting to affirm her sense of feminine independence and power. Khan had already established herself as a potent artist well before "I'm Every Woman" dropped.

From 1973 through 1978, she trailblazed through R&B charts as the front lady for Rufus. With timeless hits like "You Got the Love," "Sweet Thing" and "Hollywood," Khan's scintillating singing became one of the most identifiable and imitable voices in the '70s.

Khan also proved to be more than a featured female foil for the otherwise all-male Rufus. She was integral in the group's songwriting. She nailed other signature hits with Rufus like 1979's "Do You Love What You Feel" and its seminal swan song, 1983's "Ain't Nobody," while initially balancing a solo career.

In fact, her solo material eventually outshined Rufus' latter creations as albums like "Naughty," "What Cha Gonna Do For Me" and "Chaka Khan" crested to her 1984 LP masterpiece, "I Feel For You," on which she took an otherwise throwaway Prince tune and turned it to magic. But with an enchanting name like Chaka Khan, would you think any differently?

Born Yvette Marie Stevens on March 23, 1953 in Great Lakes, Illinois, she was renamed Chaka Adunne Aduffe Yemoja Hodarhi Karifi in 1969 by a Yoruba African priest during a naming ceremony at the Affro-Arts Theater in Chicago.

Reportedly a straight-A high-school student, Khan was heavily involved in the arts and the Black Panther Party. She helped organize the free breakfast program for children on Chicago's south side during the same year she received her African name.

Four years earlier, in 1964, Khan and her younger sister, Yvonne (later known as Taka Boom), formed their first singing group, The Crystalettes. In 1968, when she first became involved with the Affro-Arts Theater, she formed another group, The Shades of Black. A year later, she joined the group, Lyfe and then The Babysitters

ap_100.jpg

Foxx, Blige, Brown, T.I. Among BET Winners

wayans.jpg

2006 BET Awards Host Damon Wayans

Mary J. Blige, Kanye West, Jamie Foxx and Chris Brown were all double winners at Tuesday's 2006 BET Awards. Blige won Best Female R&B Artist. And in a tie, she, West and Foxx shared the prize for Best Video of the Year.

Blige also won for "Be Without You," which features Terrence Howard, who was named Best Actor. West and Foxx won the Best Video honor for "Gold Digger," which was also chosen as Best Collaboration. The megahit also won a Grammy this year.

west_foxx.jpg

Kanye West and Jamie Foxx shared top honors for

Best Video and Best Collaboration

"Love to all black people," a jubilant Foxx told the Shrine Auditorium crowd. "Y'all are stepping up black music," West said. "This is the best music right here, and we've got to keep on giving it to them like that." Brown took home Viewer's Choice, for his "Excuse Me Miss," and Best New Artist.

Chaka Khan, who was recognized for Lifetime Achievement, accepted the honor in star-studded style. "I am so honored to be honored by my people. This means everything to me," she said as Stevie Wonder, Prince, India.Arie and Yolanda Adams joined her on stage for a five-song celebration.

chaka_india.jpg

Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Chaka Khan performs

with India.Arie at the 2006 BET Awards

The 53-year-old singer was among a dozen performers, including Blige, Foxx, Brown, Beyonce, Busta Rhymes, gospel duo Mary Mary and rapper T.I. T.I. won the Best Male Hip-Hop Artist trophy and dedicated it to everyone "who been told they can't do it."

Prince, who closed the show with his song "3121," won for Best Male R&B Artist. "This was unexpected; I appreciate it nonetheless," he said. The night's most touching moments came when Mary Mary dedicated the song "Yesterday" to survivors of Hurricane Katrina.

marymary.jpg

Mary Mary sing 'Yesterday' in an emotional musical

tribute to Hurricane Katrina survivors

Another sentimental moment came when Harry Belafonte, 79, accepted a humanitarian award. "This award doesn't just touch vanity," Belafonte said. "It is a validation of what I stand for, what Paul Robeson stood for. It's a validation of what W.E.B. Dubois stood for, what Malcolm X and Dr. King stood for."

Damon Wayans hosted Black Entertainment Television's performance-packed awards program, which recognizes the best in hip-hop, R&B, gospel and music videos, as well as athletes and actors. NBA Star LeBron James and Tennis Star Venus Williams were named Best Athletes.

chris_brown.jpg

Chris Brown performs after winning Viewer's Choice

and Best New Artist

"Hustle & Flow" star Taraji P. Henson won Best Actress, and the Best Group was Black Eyed Peas. Missy Elliott, who recently signed on to star in the big-screen version of her life story, won for Female Hip-Hop Artist.

Kirk Franklin took home top honors for Best Gospel Artist. "So many people owe BET a lot," Franklin said before the show. "Every African-American who's in music, television or film, BET has got us into this. And there's a lot of us."

BET Award winners were decided by a panel of executives from entertainment companies, record labels and the media, except the Viewers' Choice award, which fans voted for online. Not all award presentations were shown during the telecast.