Texas Ranch House

nebartist

anyone watching this on PBS it is like their other reality shows Colonial House, Frontere (sp) House. and another.

It takes people back to 1867 to live on and run a Texas Ranch. There is a family who own the ranch. And they have a number of cowboys (a few cute ones) who work for them. They have to round up 200 head of cattle on the huge ranch to "sale" in order to keep the ranch a-float.

They have allready fired 2 people. and have had about half their horses stolen by a native american tribe

here is a link

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/

anyone watching this on PBS it is like their other reality shows Colonial House, Frontier House . . .
I'm looking forward to catching the early morning repeat later on so I'll let you know what I think. I've watched all the other specials and I've loved them! This one looks pretty good as well. There is just too much on a Tuesday night to catch it first run. Thank God PBS takes after Bravo and others who repeat their shows for those of us who stay up late! Thanks for starting this thread! Check in with you tomorrow!

I'm looking forward to catching the early morning repeat later on so I'll let you know what I think. I've watched all the other specials and I've loved them! This one looks pretty good as well. There is just too much on a Tuesday night to catch it first run. Thank God PBS takes after Bravo and others who repeat their shows for those of us who stay up late! Thanks for starting this thread! Check in with you tomorrow!

If you liked the others you will like this one. They are excellent reality tv shows. Shame they never won an emmy

Neb . . . are you ahead on your PBS schedule or did I miss something? I've only seen two episodes and I'm so hooked! However, I've only seen one guy fired and the Indian Raid looks like it appears in episode three here.

I can figure out pretty quickly who the next to go is going to be by the looks of the previews. I did watch the repeat in the wee hours (can't you tell by this post) so I might have missed something viewing it through sleepy eyes.

I always wonder why some of the participants get a little too much into their roles while others take it as a complete lark. I guess it wouldn't be a reality show without the human factor, right?

I love watching these shows but don't think I'd ever want to participate in losing my creature comforts. How about anyone else? Is there a time period you would feel passionate or adventurous enough to give up two to three months of your life to enter back into reality?

h8s it came on here last night too... We watched the third episode and I think the fourth was on right after it... I didn't get to see the one on the second time...

Thanks Yana! That explains it. Here in my neck of the woods, they only showed the first two episodes. Tonight, they're airing episodes three and four. I guess local PBS affiliates can choose their own programming schedule. I was going to chalk it up to watching it from 2-4 a.m. As they say . . . Friends don't let friends watch PBS sleepy! LOL!

I am recording these. It's almost more fun that way, because if you have enough time, you can just watch the whole thing in one setting.

I wasn't sure it was going to be worth it, but I've watched those other specials, and loved them, so I thought I'd better try. Sounds like it's worthwhile! They show 2 a night here too. I hope I have time to sit back, and watch the whole thing this weekend.

Do you really see her as a bitch? I don't. However, I do see sins in both gender camps. First, I'll pick on the women because it's my gender . . . what did these women expect when they went back in time? I'm afraid they're using their 21st century philosophies for an 1867 lifestyle. It just doesn't work. If this experiment is going to try to stay true to the time period, women's rights were not found home on the range.

Now, to the cowpokes . . . I thought one of the Cooke daughters and Maura, the girl of all work, said it best in an on-camera interview. Although the men all came from such different backgrounds, it took all of five minutes for the boys to resort to their macho behavior. And, again, their behavior doesn't shock me.

I've never done it (nor do I have male hormones cursing through my veins) but I imagine you spend that much time battling the elements of mother nature and doing what is perceived as a 'real man's' honest day of hard work, why is anyone surprised at the macho attitude?

I really think the men have a better handle on the whole experiment. I've heard more than one of them say if this truly was the real deal, they would have moved on down the road to the next ranch to find better employment conditions. In this experiment, they have no other option but to bow out or get fired.

And, even though I'm using my modern sensibilities to sympathize with the women, I have to give this one to the cowboys. It's hard for me to believe the discussion on what's fair to the women of the territory would ever be a topic around the campfire.

Neb . . . how far into the series is your PBS station? We've only seen the first four episodes air on our local affiliate. Any previews of things to come? I may change my mind about Mrs. Cooke as episodes unfold.

Being on the west coast, I'm used to being a few hours behind so you might have advance insight into life on the ranch. Again, thanks for starting this thread and bringing this entertaining PBS series to the attention of the forum.

Yeah just wait you will hate Mrs Cooke more and more :lol: we have seen 6 episodes and my hatred for her grows more and more. I will tell you after you see the sicth episode why I hate her so much. I will just say i feel sorry for the new cook and her treatment of him and Robbie is apalling.

Thanks, Neb! I just had that funny feeling that you were speaking of coming attractions. The fifth and sixth episodes are on tonight so I'll check in with you tomorrow. I've been on the same page with you so far so I imagine I won't veer too far off the frontier path on this one either.

By the by, I ADORE the new Dixie Chicks song too! Have you seen the video? It's very symbolic in that artsy fartsy way. I adore their music videos. I call them the Fleetwood Mac of the country music video scene because they remind me of those amazing videos of yesteryear.

The production value and eye for detail of both group's videos have always seemed more like short films to me than just a method of promoting their CD sales. Anyhoo, back to topic of "Texas Ranch House" . . .

I want to congratulate Mrs. Cooke on becoming one of the biggest bitches on reality tv

Okay a congrats goes to Mr Cooke too

dont read if you havnt watched the last two episodes but i want to talk about it while it is fresh on my mind

Jarred was spot on when he said "he is a prick" about Mr. Cooke What a complete jerk trying to sale Jarred back his horse. Aint Jarred's fault Mr Cooke was duped by the indians. Then he had the gull to say "I payed for you life" No you di'n!! What pisses me off the most is that he waited until he was paying him to tell him this. Frickin' coward!! A little too late with the ranch hands walking out. You know that is why he waited. I am so glad the assesors said the ultimate blame of the failure falls on Mr Cooke. Then loved watching his family cry about it.

The daughter was like "HOW CAN THEY SAY IT WAS HIS FAULT"

Well missy because he was in charge of the dang ranch!!!

Loved the assessment and Mrs Cooke saying "why are we even reading this" :lol: reality woman

sorry about the rant but i really hate that family!!

DONT READ IF YOU DONT WANT THE ENDING SPOILED...

Im so glad I found a forum to talk or rant about this show!!! I whole heartedly agree with everything you said!! I DVR'd the entire series & will go back & watch all but last nights episode this weekend. I didnt get to see Colonel or Nacho leave. I thought Mr. Cooke was a complete jerk for doing what he did to Jared. I thought Jared was one of the nicest most polite guys there & was blown away by Mr. Cooke trying to sell him back a horse he already bought that he didnt pay to get out of comanche kidnapping! The Indian gave Jared & his horse back because Mr Cooke told him he doesnt deal in people.... Then he had the balls to say he would kick his a$$ if he tried leaving with his horse.

I agree that congratulations are in order for Mrs. Cooke to get the "Bitch of the year award" for reality tv this year!! What a raging demeaning bitch she was!!! Then she & her daughters sat around for 8 whole days after the fandango before even attempting to clean what little they did before the flies got to them .DUH!!! What the heck!?! I was expecting there to be maggots all over those dishes & that food that had been sitting out. And then towards the very end one of the Cooke girls made a comment (what did you think we just sat around for 8 days!?!) Uh...... Yeah! Thats EXACTLY what you did!!!

The Cooke family was disrespectful to all the cowboys. While back in their time they wouldnt have been like that. I think that it just goes to show that they dont pick these people well enough to step back in time and go for the actual REAL experience of what was going on back then. The ranchers back then would have been able to trust their cowboys/ranch hands with their lives & vice versa. The maid would have been a maid & actually cleaned once in a while. The garden would have been tended to & not left to rot when there were ranch hands that were hungry. The manuir would have been picked up daily & taken far away so as not to cause problems with flies near the houses. These people from the very beginning couldnt get past their feeling like they were better than the cowboys from day one. That there such be such clear lines of distinction between the two. Whatever happened to respecting your elders... Those young Cooke girls were rude & bitchy from the start. Its no wonder none of the cowboys wanted to dance with them at the Fandango. The only people I saw working as a team were the cowboys/ranchhands. I thought Robbie did an excellent job & would have liked to see him on the after part of the show. He was a great boss & leader to those guys & I felt proud that all the men stuck together in the end and left with Jared. When the accessors came & graded the Cookes & said how awful his bookkeeping skills were I laughed so hard!!! They all so thought their $hit didnt stink & were so snobby & gung ho til they got their acessment!

Would love to hear feedback from you guys on other stuff so I will come back after I rewatch!!!

tvjunkie

I watched all 8 hours straight through yesterday because I had missed so many episodes the week before. I thought I was the only person who hated the Cooke family. Mr. Cooke was the biggest I have ever seen in my life. Then he tries to be a tuff guy businessman at the end and looked like a bigger ass. What he did to Jared was so wrong. And then he tells Jared he'll "beat the shit out of him" if he leaves with the horse. Of course he pussied out of that too.

And that was the moment his wife decided to tell him how proud she was of him. After he tried to screw Jared out of an agreement they made weeks earlier.

What a horrible family. They are ugly, ugly people.

And where was Maura when the cowboys were sticking together? She so much wanted to be a part of them the entire time. Jared, Robby, Johnny, Anders, Sean & Rob are my heroes.

Archived