So You Think You Can Dance

Dade

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

So You Think You Can Dance

by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

August 16, 2006: America's Favorite Dancer

"Welcome back, my babies!" Awww, are we Cat's babies, too? Two and a half months is not very long in TV time, but during more than one of the montages tonight, I got a bit teary, like you do at the end of summer camp when they show a slideshow of all your friends. Still, that's not to say I need to hear those "End of the Road" and "Suddenly I See" songs again in this lifetime.

With the brief return of the top 20 (wow, remember Stanislov? Joy? Erin?), something else was back, too: Cat's nutty sense of style, as demonstrated by a disease-patterned dress that somehow accented her knees. Not to be outdone, Dan wore one of his signature ugly jackets, Shane had the beginnings of a very wrong fauxhawk, and Mia dipped her face in a vat of bronzer before running on stage. The one funky outfit that worked tonight? The crossing-guard vests some of the boys wore during that clever opening number, which was almost ruined by shoddy camera work (let us decide who to look at, for once!).

I don't really have enough room to recritique all the repeated dances. The fact that Heidi was in so many of them really highlights her being the best partner of the bunch. Still hate her solos (though Joan Jett seemed to give her a little more oomph tonight). The encores picked by the judges were obviously chosen so that all of the top 10 would get to dance again. This meant a new routine with Natalie and Dmitry (two members of the silly group of friends Natalie called the "Circle of Trust"). Her acting skills were almost enough to distract me from the fact that she could barely move her feet and stiffened up at points where she should have been fluid. Rest that knee, girl! Mia cracked me up when discussing how she watched her Ivan-Allison piece, "sitting in my living room in New York, cooking." Yep, that's a New York apartment for you. But again, she gave Ivan all the credit while practically dismissing Allison. Oh, well. Ivan really did stand out during the repeat of the Wade Robson "Ramalama" song. So freakin' fun.

Cat's whole envelope tease was just wrong. Way to rub it in the faces of Donyelle and Heidi that they weren't even close to winning. Honestly, I don't know a soul who didn't think Benji had this in the bag a month and a half ago. While I'd rather pay to see Travis, Allison or Donyelle on stage, consummate entertainer Benji absolutely deserved this title. Let's just hope that Celine Dion message doesn't scare him away. And I hope that's the last time we have to see him do that cringey-cry thing on the air. Send me your Qs for America's favorite dancer before 11 am, Eastern time.

Posted by Sabrina Rojas Weiss 08/17/2006 12:37 AM

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I KNEW Benji could dance and I knew he could win over a room with his amazing personality but I was worried that America might not see it the same way! I was NEVER so glad to admit I was wrong!!!!

I have to admit I blew my predictions for the final four's final placement. I had the girls in the bottom but in reverse order. Ditto on the two guys in the top two. That aside, I thought the finale went pretty well for as insufferable as those type of shows can usually be.

When I first met Benji, he was much younger . . . much younger. I found this photo of Benji and Heidi at approximately the age I first met them. If you'll check it out below, you can imagine my surprise as to how much he had grown since that chubby-faced little boy who used to follow us around the dance studio.

benji_young.jpg

This is how I remember Benji and Heidi!

Quite a difference a decade makes!

I'm so proud of Benji that I could bust!!! My only criticism is the lame way the show ended. There were so many things they could have done to make that better. Bring Benji's parents and sister up on stage. Bring the judges up on stage to congratulate the winner and the other finalists.

How about showing a small video snippet of the show the winner will now be a part of in Las Vegas. Better yet, bring on the Cirque de Soleil-style dancers for an onstage performance. They must think they can dance!

Does anyone remember what car was won or what it looks like? I would have had the car featured prominently either on stage or have a short piece where Benji gets handed the keys to mark the winning of the prize.

How about one of those uber-sized checks with the cash prize emblazoned upon it? Instead, the show just sort of limped away into a fade-to-black and onto the local news. So much flash and sizzle throughout the season . . . so little glitz or glamour in the end.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Benji Shows Why He's Your "Favorite Dancer"

by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

060821insider3episodic.jpg

So You Think You Can Dance champ Benji Schwimmer

What with the flawless, energetic performances, the "Marry Me" signs in the audience and the endless praise from the judges, it was no surprise that Benji Schwimmer won Fox's So You Think You Can Dance last Wednesday. But the 22-year-old swing dancer from Redlands, California, says he "didn't comprehend it" when host Cat Deeley read his name. What we can't comprehend is how Benji performed in the finale, hopped on a red-eye flight to New York, appeared on a couple of TV shows, and still managed to be such a gosh-darn nice guy when TVGuide.com caught up with him on Thursday morning.

TVGuide.com: What went through your head when Cat announced you'd won?

Benji Schwimmer: I didn't even hear who won. I didn't hear the words exactly.

TVGuide.com: We've heard parts of the heartbreaking story of why you tried out for the show, but can you elaborate a bit?

Benji: I'm a Mormon, and I served a mission in Mexico for two years. There was a girl who was waiting for me. I really wanted to get married to her. I was in love with her; she was in love with me. Somehow our letters got lost in the mail during that two-year stint, and she ended up getting married two weeks after I came home.... That got me on a depressed slump for quite a while. Nothing was motivating me to continue to dance, to continue to do anything. My friend played me a video clip of last year's Nick Lazzarini winning. I'd never heard of the show before. A spark lit up inside of me, and I thought, "You should try out for that." I started waking up early in the morning to train, work out, practice, stretch, take classes. During that process of training for the competition, my depression left me. Whether I made the show or not, it served its purpose in helping me get out of that slump.

TVGuide.com: Have you talked to your ex since all this?

Benji: She's an awesome person, and more than anything, it was a miscommunication because of the mail. It wasn't meant to be, and I definitely have come to terms with that.

TVGuide.com: So what is the deal with the Mormons and dancing? Weren't there four of you in the top 20?

Benji: There were! Jaymz, Allison, Heidi and I are all members of the church. We're the Stormin' Mormons, what can we say? Mormons dance like crazy. Our church has a weekly dance for teens and adult singles. Dancing is a big thing, and we believe in developing our talents and not taking them for granted. You will see a lot of people try to push themselves. I got some flak for doing the booty-shaking with Donyelle in the first routine, but in all honesty, it's just booty-shaking. It was fun, and it wasn't sexual.

TVGuide.com: What's it like to dance those hot routines with your cousin Heidi?

Benji: We just laugh at it. We've only had one routine where it was like, "Jeez, what are we doing?" We had to dance the mambo, and I had to look at her with these [seductive] eyes and shimmy across her. The funny thing is, for all entertainers and dancers, when you're out on the floor you're not really thinking about that. You're thinking about the routine, enjoying it as much as you can, worrying about what the judges are going to think.

TVGuide.com: Do you have any training in other styles of dance?

Benji: Growing up, I took [introductory] dance classes here and there, but I never trained in them. Though I did take three years of Latin training. I've messed around in hip-hop, but I've never really taken classes in it.

TVGuide.com: Am I right that you never did a contemporary piece, except for the group routines?

Benji: I was a little disappointed that I never got to do contemporary. I really, really wanted to

• 5 months later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

FOX Announces Third 'Dance' Auditions

At this point, you should probably know if you can dance

January 26, 2007

23813740.jpg

'So You Think You Can Dance' host Cat Deeley

Just in case you've yet to figure out if you can, indeed, dance FOX is set to begin auditions for the third season of the summer hit "So You Think You Can Dance."

While "American Idol" has taken great pains to mix up its audition cities each season, avoiding repeating obvious locations, "So You Think You Can Dance" is keeping things simple, going to New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Atlanta.

The New York casting call will be held at the Manhattan Center Theatre from March 1-3, followed by auditions at The Legendary Chicago Theatre in the Windy City from March 8-10. Los Angeles will greet aspiring hoofers from March 22-24 at the Orpheum Theatre and Atlanta's Fox Theatre will greet any and all dancers from the Dirty South from April 5-7.

Top dances will be invited to a call-back week, followed by the announcement of the Top 20 dancers, who will appear on the Cat Deeley-hosted show.

As usual, restrictions are pretty simple. You have to be between the ages of 18 and 30 and either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident of the U.S. or legally able to seek employment in the U.S.

Last year's winner, Benji Schwimmer, received $100,000, plus a new car and a contract to dance in Celine Dion's "A New Day" Vegas show.

Courtesy of: FOX.COM

SEASON 3 TALENT SEARCH BEGINS

Casting calls in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Atlanta start another search for America

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

So, You Think You Can Dance? Judge Spills Audition Tips!

by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

070308interview5.jpg

Mary Murphy (inset), So You Think You Can Dance

Time flies in the world of reality TV, doesn't it? It seems like we were just congratulating Benji Schwimmer (pictured at right) for winning Season 2 of So You Think You Can Dance, and already throngs of ballroom champs, ballerinas, pop 'n lockers, hip-hop divas, lyrical artistes, tap dancers and everyone in between are lining up for auditions. According to Fox, 1,400 people showed up for the New York auditions last week, nearly triple the number of last year's wannabes. Since there is obviously more competition than ever, TVGuide.com asked the ever-enthusiastic Mary Murphy if she has any advice for the kids who want to prove their talent to her, Nigel Lythgoe and whichever third judge of the day gets to play referee between those two. Dancers, there's still time to take in this advice and then head to the upcoming tryouts in Chicago (starting today), Los Angeles (March 22) and Atlanta (April 5). Visit Fox.com for more info.

TVGuide.com: Hi, Mary! How are the auditions going?

Mary Murphy: It's been a good first day so far. I was so excited to be in New York. I haven't been here in, like, six years!

TVGuide.com: Can you explain the audition process? I know it's much more involved than how it looks on TV.

Murphy: When we first see them, they only get 30 seconds, and it doesn't matter what kind of dancer you are

Courtesy of: FOX.COM

Season 3 Premiere

Season Three of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE premieres with two audition episodes: a one-hour show on Thursday, May 24 8/7c and a special two-hour episode airing Wednesday, May 30 8/7c.

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

So You Think You Can Dance 3 debuts tonight

FOX debuts the third season of its summer competition series So You Think You Can Dance tonight at 8 p.m.

The 90-minute premiere will be followed by a two-hour episode next Wednesday at 8 and Thursday at 9, and then air Wednesdays and Thursday nights, with various start times. Cat Deeley returns as host; Lythgoe and Mary Murphy return as permanent judges; and the winner gets $250,000.

With the show airing less than 24 hours after American Idol concluded, FOX apparently doesn

I really like it too, last night was good that one sexy couple was awesome, I think Nigel needed to take a break lol..

And OMG Sex was back, how delusional can someone be, I mean really the guy needs to get checked out!

I'm curiously anticipating to see if that one girl who hurt her foot and couldn't continue the Las Vegas rounds comes back this year. She was blond, young, very cute and Nigel personally gave her an invitation to Las Vegas this season. She doesn't have to audition. I can't remember her name. Anyone remember her?

OMG, I can not beleive it, I forgot it was on. I like this show last season, it was entertaining, and love to watch the moves. I guess I have to keep a calendar to remind me when all these reality shows are on. :help::oops:

I'm curiously anticipating to see if that one girl who hurt her foot and couldn't continue the Las Vegas rounds comes back this year. She was blond, young, very cute and Nigel personally gave her an invitation to Las Vegas this season. She doesn't have to audition. I can't remember her name. Anyone remember her?

Yes I do remember her, I hope she does come back, if I remember correctly she was a sweetheart! If she does come back I am sure they will let us know

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

So You Think You Can Dance New York Auditions Offer Laughs And Sex

jamal_weaver.jpg

It seems like American Idol only ended yesterday, but already it

So You Think You Can Dance Los Angeles & Chicago Auditions Show Cruelty And Inspiration

quincy_vereen.jpg

For the So You Think You Can Dance Los Angeles auditions, dancers waited in a line over mile long for their shot at auditioning. Wade Robson joined regular judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy. First to audition was Lauren

Personally, I could do without all these audition shows. Show me 1 maybe 2 as the group is narrowed way down, but what is the sense in showing all these folks who have absolutely no rythm in their bones at all?

I know, I know.....ratings that = $$$$$.

OK, am I the only one who is calling foul on the first girl who auditioned in Los Angeles? She worked LAST SEASON as an assistant to Tyce D'Orio, one of the main contributing choreographers. Doesn't that make her practically an employee of the show? Of course she made it directly through to Vegas, she is a good dancer. . . but seems a little unfair to me.

I didnt realize she worked for him, but I guess if she doesnt anymore, that makes it ok?

Iguess the girl who hurt her foot didnt come back, as next week we are in Vegas, so the auditions are over, too bad I wanted to see her again

Iguess the girl who hurt her foot didnt come back, as next week we are in Vegas, so the auditions are over, too bad I wanted to see her again

I remember the girl you are talking about. I believe she was from Alabama. If you remember, she hurt her foot while they were in Vegas. Nigel told her she could come back to the competition at the point where she left off. She didn't need to do the first round of auditions. We should see her in Vegas.

You are absolutely correct Methos. She does not have to audition again so if she decides to try again this season, the first time we'll see her is in Vegas. I hope she's back. She seemed to be a very good dancer. It was a shame that an injury put her out of contention last time.

So You Think You Can Dance Atlanta Auditions Bring Out Cloggers & Cowboys

bryan_gaynor.jpg

At the So You Think You Can Dance Atlanta auditions, the contestants huddled under blankets due to the cold weather. Guest judge Shane Sparks joined regular judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy. First up was Caitlin Cucchiara. Nigel Lythgoe said Caitlin was

Archived