So You Think You Can Dance

Dade

Courtesy of: FOX, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE

THE ALL-NEW SEASON BEGINS

THURSDAY, MAY 25th 8/7c!

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

AND SPEAKING OF DANCING...: Casting calls for Season 2 of Fox's So You Think You Can Dance will be held March 2 (at the Hilton Theater in NYC), March 9 (at the Orpheum in Los Angeles) and March 24 (at the Legendary Chicago Theatre in, um, Chicago). With Lauren Sanchez due to give birth, the new season, to debut May 25, will be hosted by U.K. personality Cat Deeley.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Courtesy of: FOX REALITY

So You Think You Can Dance Returns On May 25

May 19, 2006

by Joe Reality

Last summer

I'm going to have to watch at least the first few episodes of this season. I need to get the guy face planting on my computer. It makes me laugh EVERYTIME I see it.

Courtesy of: FOX, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE

main_home.jpg

MEET THE HOST

host_top.jpg

Cat Deeley

After making the rounds across television and music in the UK, Cat Deeley is coming to America to host the second season of the hottest dance competition ever.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Brit Beauty Gets Dance Fever

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060525insider3.jpg

So You Think You Can Dance host Cat Deeley

Say what you will about So You Think You Can Dance's unwieldy title. Fact is, the Fox reality competition was a ratings success during its premiere incarnation, and as such is back for an encore starting tonight at 8 pm/ET. (The contest then continues Wednesdays and Thursdays at 9.) What's new and exciting for Season 2? For one, the dance-off is now hosted by British TV personality Cat Deeley, whom TVGuide.com recently gave a ring.

TVGuide.com: Is it now an official requirement that every American reality program feature at least one British accent?

Cat Deeley: [Laughs] Somebody has to give it all a bit of authority, Matt! No, I don't think its absolutely required, but I knew [executive producer] Nigel [Lythgoe] from England, and [season 1 host] Lauren [sanchez] was pregnant, so he said, "Listen, there's this job I think you'd be great for. Come and meet everybody." I must have won them over, because here I am!

TVGuide.com: What is it that you are best known for across the pond?

Deeley: Ooh, different things. Literally this weekend I hosted a big gala concert for the Prince's Trust. Princes William and Harry, and Charles and Camilla were there. Then at 6:45 the next morning I flew straight here [to the States]. I host big major events like the BRITs [an awards show], but I also do Saturday-night entertainment shows, I've done a music show... all different things, really.

TVGuide.com: What's this Internet rumor that you typically host events barefoot?

Deeley: [Laughs] That's a rumor. Only if my shoes are hurting, if I've got really stupid girly shoes on, do I do that!

TVGuide.com: A U.K. poll once named you the lady most male fans would like to be seated next to at a football game. Why do you think that is?

Deeley: Just because I don't really take myself too seriously. And they know that I'd probably share my pie with them.

TVGuide.com: I'm sorry, your what?

Deeley: At an English football game you always have a steak and kidney pie or something like that, and a cup of tea!

TVGuide.com: Other than yourself, what changes can we expect for Season 2 of So You Think...?

Deeley: Because it was such a success last year, the idea is to take that and build on it. There aren't really changes but there are new facets to it. There will be new styles of dance to really test our dancers out. We've also got some great characters this time. Remember, this is not about the best dancers, it's about America's favorite dancers, people who bring that special something that you can't define.

TVGuide.com: What is your own dance specialty? The pop and lock? Mambo? Electric slide?

Deeley: I'm terrible. Completely terrible. My specialty only happens in a club after a couple of beers. And it's got to be very dark. I normally need to stand on the edge just so I don't take too many people out with my weird and wonderful moves.

TVGuide.com: You sound like my perfect dance partner!

Deeley: Really? Because I'm really, really terrible.

TVGuide.com: Dancing is why I dread weddings.

Deeley: There's so much embarrassing, uncool dancing at weddings. Mine's not much better!

TVGuide.com: You've interviewed such music biggies as Madonna, Prince, U2, Mariah Carey.... Which sit-down was most surprising or memorable?

Deeley: When I had to do an interview with Marilyn Manson, I was slightly apprehensive about it, but he was great. Really, really interesting. I found out that he collects lunchboxes, and his favorite one has Snoopy on it. Also, Debbie Harry was amazing. I wanted her to be great, because she's such a heroine of mine, and she was brilliant. And Prince, he had just changed his name to that symbol, so I had to ask that question, "What do I call you?" He said, "A new friend." That was very good.

TVGuide.com: Who would you love to talk to but have not had the opportunity yet?

Deeley: Steven Tyler, just because he's been there and done everything and come out the other side. I think he'd have some great stories to tell.

TVGuide.com: Lastly, as a Brit, what do you make of this whole Paul McCartney-divorce nastiness?

Deeley: Oh, gosh, I have no idea. I've interviewed him a couple of times, and he seems like a really, really lovely man. The U.K. press are coming down very, very heavily on Heather Mills. After all, Paul McCartney is almost untouchable in the U.K. He's almost divine. But it's one of those things where unless you're in the inner circle, you never know what's going on in a relationship. I do hope they can sort it out!

OHHH MYYYYYY!!!

LMAO This is just like the beginning of Idol only with out the screaching. lol

Anyone see the guy who slammed his face into the floor? OUCH. They played the clip like 6 times in a row. The last we saw of him, he was being examined by the medics after his audition failure. He was complaining of his teeth hurting. I can't believe this guy didn't crack his cheek bone or break his nose.

I'd love to hear from anyone who might know this guy. Like how he's doing now.

But it was an awesome clip!!!!

I cringed every time I they played it...OUCH!!! I really hope he is ok.

Courtesy of: FOXREALITY

So You Think You Can Dance Pokes Fun Of The Overweight, Little People, & Gender Chameleons

May 26, 2006

by Joe Reality

dave_warshaw.jpg

The first round of auditions for So You Think You Can Dance 2 kicked off in New York. Dan Karaty, Mia Michaels, and Nigel Lythgoe served as the New York judges. Just like with American Idol, the most memorable auditions in the early rounds were the really bad ones. Dave

Awww I'm sad that that one breaker didn't make it. The one that just did flips and twists and all that crazy stuff. I could watch him do that for hours.

I really liked that poplock guy near the end and uhm.... yeah...

I'm actually just really happy that I don't have to look at the plastic surgery nightmare host from the first season.

Good god she looked horrible.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

May 25, 2006: "He's Trained for Many Years as a Dance Person"

It feels like it's been a long time since we saw little Nick pirouette to victory last summer

OMG! This show is making me feel old! (Not a long stretch!) I know two of the judges . . . Mary Murphy and Ron Montez but the biggest shock came tonight in the form of Benji Schwimmer! I remember him as a mere child when I took some classes from his father, Buddy Schwimmer! Benji's dance partner used to be his cutie patootie sister, Lacey.

Also, Benji was often partnered with a young woman who was like a daughter to me. Benji had the most adorable crush on her and would go around the dance studio claiming that he would marry her when he grew up. I hope she caught the show to see her young crush all grown up and on the way to surpassing his father as the King of Swing.

I've taken a few of his father's dance seminars and classes. I even got the privilege of dancing with his dad, Buddy, in a couple of his seminars to demonstrate specific moves. The Schwimmers are really a fantastic, nutty and loving family. Their dance studio is called 5678 Dance Studio. I can't say enough nice things about this dance family. They are really beloved in the dance community.

Nigel brought up Buddy Schwimmer's weight to his son but I would have to say his father can out move and out dance other men half his age and half his weight. His dad reminds me of Mickey Rooney. He's short, compact and build for speed. And, a complete hoot and a half!

However, I have a bone to pick with Judge Mary Murphy. At least, Nigel admitted to knowing his father pretty well but I almost lost it when Mary Murphy implied she barely knew Benji's dad! She knows him VERY well! Buddy Schwimmer has held seminars in her dance studio and I've been at dance events that they both frequently attend.

by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

May 31, 2006: "You're Just Being Rude"

Ah, the charm of fame-hungry reality contestants. Overall, the Los Angeles auditions made me feel much sorrier for the judges than for any of the kids whose dreams they crushed. Then again, life's been good to Mary Murphy, I think

by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

June 1, 2006: This Ain't Bob Fosse's Chicago

What's up, Chicago? Did the editors make an entire city look bad, or is there a serious talent drain? Cat Deeley did say that 25 dancers went through to Vegas in the end, but I think we saw only three of them.

I'm having a hard time resolving my feelings about the way this show treats the plus-size performers. Yes, dance is about celebrating the body, and logically, if you move around a lot all day, you should be in good shape. But I've seen dancers who are both big and talented. What's happening here, though, is that the producers are intent on showing us as many bad overweight dancers as possible, and then daring us and the judges to say the wrong thing about their size. It's a trap. Exhibit A: When tonight's first dancer, Tony, said he did customer service for defibrillators, Nigel very meanly told him he should keep one close by. Then there was Jessica, who's been dancing for 13 years but never advanced past the level of a 5-year-old. I'm much less conflicted about the way they treat these "So You Think You Can Teach" contestants. They must be stopped, or bad dancing will become pandemic.

Cute couple Nick and Andrea kept talking so much about what they'd think if one of them made it and the other didn't, you just knew one of them wouldn't make it. Tap-dancer-with-an-attitude Nick went straight through to Vegas, but Andrea and her other partner looked like they'd slept through their audition.

How many times did they show that girl puking before a commercial break? I lost count at 10. But it was still entertaining when shown in context, however, thanks to hip-hop choreographer and judge Shane's narration of the event

Courtesy of: FOX REALITY

So You Think You Can Dance In Las Vegas

June 8, 2006

by Joe Reality

The So You Think You Can Dance contestants arrived in Las Vegas, and the first thing they did was throw a party. Then for the first phase of the callbacks, the dancers learned new routines from the choreographers. After each routine, the dancers were scored by the panel of judges. Dancers that scored well moved on, dancers that did not score well were sent home, and dancers that were borderline were asked to dance for their lives.

The first challenge for the dancers in Vegas was to learn a hip-hop routine from Shane Sparks. The second challenge was a ballroom dance routine. Thirty-five dancers were cut on the first day. Ryan and Lynn-Rae Hiers were asked to dance for their lives. Ryan fell while flipping, and Nigel called for a medic, but there was no response. Ryan managed to struggle to his feet, but then the judges cut him. Lynn-Rae wrote all over herself with a magic marker before dancing. The judges weren

Aawwww. . . poor young Mikey. He was so adorable. I'm sorry he didn't make it.

I don't know who I'm gonna be rooting for this year. Not really feeling anyone in particular yet. It figures, Mikey & Claire Calloway were my favorites. I like Benji Schwimmer's dancing but can't stand his big exposed gums when he smiles.

by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

June 8, 2006: Come Back Next Year

Have you ever seen such gleeful sadists as Nigel, Mary and Shane? And are they trying to get second careers in acting or something? I spotted their first shot at "Gotcha!" with Allison; the moment they started apologizing, you knew she was in. That routine instantly got old, and I was with Ben in his reaction: "You need to shut your mouth!" So it grew increasingly obvious that the ad nauseam precommercial clips of Benji crying like a little girl would be a big bait-and-switch. Mary's Emmy-winning speech made me want to throw things at the screen: "It's so hard for me

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

So You Think You Can Dance Top Twenty Announced

Forty-two dancers appeared in front of the So You Think You Can Dance judges to find out if they had reached the top twenty. The judges sent the first several dancers home. In true reality show judging tradition, the judges tortured the singers who had made it through by making them think they had been eliminated.

The top ten girls were Allison, Joy, Ashlee, Jessica, Erin, Donyelle, Natalie, Martha, Heidi, and Aleksandra.

The top ten boys were Dmitry, Ben, Ivan, Travis, Musa, Jaymz, Stanislav, Ryan, Benji, and Jason.

The biggest surprise elimination of the night was probably breakdancer Hawk. Hawk had been built up as a sentimental favorite, but it turned out that Hawk was in the country on a student visa. After a lecture from the judges on how he might have taken someone else

I would have liked to see more of the routines too, but I guess that is to come.

I too, thought the 'make them think they're going, but they're NOT!' routine was a little long-winded too.

I really do enjoy the show, but I think it's kind of funny how they learn routines, and dance with a partner, but then have to dance solo to 'save their lives'. Like they said -- Musa , or whatever his name is, probably won't be the best partner, but will win everyone over with his solo. And where does that leave his partner? I don't know-- I guess it gives everyone a chance to show their strengths. But it seems kind of unfair, that both partners have to 'dance for their lives', when one is obviously the weaker partner.

I didn't like the sore losers, or sore winners in Ben's case. He made it, but he's crabbing about it being unfair, cuz his friend didn't. I mean, if he feels that way fine, but wouldn't you think he'd be smart enough to keep it to himself? Ever heard of 'don't bite the hand that feeds you?' And that other girl, who was one of the last 2 to hear -- i kind of agree -- 'you're the best dancer here, but you make everything look too easy' is not something I really grasp either. But oh well - move on. I'm sure there were more of those kinds of reactions, but they just didn't show them. It seemed like all the rejectees took it pretty well. The magic of editting!

I found this viral video on AOL and thought I'd share this amusing dance clip. Not only do I think this comedian can dance but he manages to give us a laugh while strolling down the memory lane of dancing styles. Enjoy!

The Evolution of Dance

In just under six minutes comedian Judson Laipply performs the biggest dance crazes from the past five decades.

Click on the link for a dance laugh or two: The Evolution of Dance

AH_logo_100x30.jpg

Dish Of Salt: 'Dance' Mania

by Laura Saltman, Access Hollywood

salt.jpg

Laura Saltman

I'm counting down the days until "Dancing With the Stars" returns in September. Sure, I know it's cheesy, but having covered the backstage trials and triumphs of the dancers for the last two seasons, I feel a strange connection to the show.

Don't think I didn't march myself right down to the local dance studio for some lessons. Unfortunately, my penchant for never letting the male actually lead has made me the instructor's least favorite student. So, I guess I'll just stick to watching others do it on TV.

Right now, I'm getting my dance fix watching Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance." Now in its second season, the show comes from "American Idol" Executive Producer, Nigel Lythgoe and pits hip-hop, street, ballet, ballroom and lyrical dancers against one another to vie for the top title.

djones.jpgbschwimmer.jpg

Donyelle Jones and Benji Schwimmer blended styles beautifully

The show certainly hasn't been getting the audience that "American Idol" sees, with just around 10 million viewers tuning in regularly. All things considered, that's a good audience for a summer show, though.

This season the winner receives 100 thousand dollars and a one-year contract to dance in Celine Dion's Las Vegas show. I spoke with the Top 20 dancers, who begin performing tonight, and was surprised to learn that most of the finalists have no interest in dancing for Celine.

If you have ever seen the show (which is amazing, by the way) I guess I can understand why a ballroom dancer or a hip-hop dancer wouldn't want the gig. Dancers in her show stick to more ballet and lyrical choreography.

hgroskreutz.jpgrrankine.jpg

Heidi Groskreutz and Ryan Rankine's partnership not so smooth

Let's face it, most of the dancers are just on the show to be discovered. They pretty much all have aspirations beyond dancing. I can't tell you how many times I have heard some finalist on a reality show talk about how they want to break into the industry in all aspects of entertainment from acting to hosting.

Inevitably, they all want my job. Who wouldn't? Let me tell you though, I didn't get here by way of some reality show granting me 15 minutes of fame. I put in years of hard work to get to this point. So, back off people! I kid. I kid.

Tonight, the Top 10 girls and Top 10 guys perform in a two-hour episode and then America (ala 'Idol') gets to vote for their favorites.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATECOOLER

by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

June 14, 2006: Too Much Booty?

Maybe it's the fact that I'm going on vacation in eight hours, but I have no patience for this show format: two-hour performance plus one-hour results show. Especially not when the first 15 minutes are wasted with replays of the judges' favorite bad dancers. Enough! (OK, it was nice to see Nick Lazzarini perform again, even if it seemed an awful lot like one of his routines from last year.)

Some asides to get out of my system: Someone please fire the stylist who put Cat in that hideous flower/lollipop skirt and clashing blouse. Makes me yearn for Ryan Seacrest's silly shirts. I wonder if it's in the choreographers' contracts that Nigel needs to pay them a compliment before ever critiquing a dance. Attention, sound crew: Mary Murphy does not need a microphone. And if Dan doesn't start saying something original soon, neither does he.

One thing I'm very pleased about is the permanent pairing of the dancers. Instead of unfair odd couples, the partners were purposely matched and have a chance to adapt to each other's strengths and weaknesses. This should work well if they all actually like each other as much as they appeared to tonight.

So many dancers, so little time. Here are some brief thoughts on each:

Archived