The Food Network

squirrel

Not sure why there's not a Food TV section. I love to cook.

Anyways, just watched Emeril Live, great duet episode with the guy from Wok with Yan.

The Great Steak Cook-Off is at 9:00est 6pst, Top steak chefs share secrets while they compete for bragging rights at the World Championship Steak Cook-Off in Magnolia, Ark.

This is one of my favourites. If you like to barbeque steaks, check this out :)

Guest Rebekah

Yan is still around? Thanks, squirrel. Love the Japanese Iron Chef series. Love steak but if this was on tonight, missed it in favor of the BB live fish watch. Now grilled fish is great.

What a good idea Squirrel! I am a FoodNetwork and HGTV addict. Drop the hint somewhere. I love Emeril, Paula Deen does some great cooking, as does the girl on Everyday Italian, I got the worlds greatest choc chip cookie recipe from her show at Christmas. We make batches and freeze it, then we have cookies on demand.

Guest ranster627

I too am a huge fan of the old Iron Chef series and used to love Emerill too but he got tired for me too fast ...

I find the Food Network relaxing!

Todays Emeril live was amazing, A taste of Argentina. Some of the dishes were so mouth watering (mainly beef). I hope I will remeber the episode when I go shopping next time.

I haven't seen Everyday Itialian yet but I love italian food. I will add that to my watch list as long as it doesn't coincide with BB. (1 day to go)

I really like Rachel Ray both 30 minute meals and $40 a day.I like some of IronChef Japan but prefer IronChef America.My favorites are the challenges with the birthday cake or the wedding cakes those people are just amazing with the creations they think up.

• 9 months later...

So many shows, so little time. Since The Next Food Network Star got so much interest, I thought it would be fun to take the discussion a little further. There are some really good shows, several of which were discussed in the aforementioned thread.

1. Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals - some good tips for some quick meals but she is sometimes too loud for me and her hand getures drive me nuts. Oh! the other one is EVOO.

2. Paula's Home Cooking - Probably one of my favorites, she cooks like my mom did. She also adds some unique takes on a few old standbys.

3. Emeril Live - Love this guy! Sometimes the meals he fixes aren't things I'd run outto buy the ingredients for but I do like him. He's more fun on this show than he is on the taped show.

4. Everyday Italian - good show, puts the pounds on me just watching it. She has the best chocolate chip cookie recipe in the world.

These are just a few of the many I watch, please jump in and let's get this one going.

It just occurred to me that there are a few I haven't noticed in the line-up recently and the names escape me. One is the low carb guy and the other is the guy who did low cal versions of ordinary food.

Ham on the Street is good for a laugh, pure entertainment though.

One of the things I like best about the Food Network website, is the ability to add favorite recipes from shows to my recipe box there for easy reference.

YAY JUVY! great idea!

me, i absolutely love rachael's 30 minute meals! i've emailed the show a few times (a bit stalkerish, i know! :unsure: ) as i've said in other posts, i use her recipes all the time.

paula is another favorite, but i don't use many of her recipes.....i just love hearing her talk and say butter!!

i don't watch emeril anymore.....use to, but with all the new talent, i've strayed. i watch everyday italian just to see giada....she's a doll. but i don't use her recipes either.

i've never been a fan of semi-homemade with sandra lee. i never liked her recipes.

i will watch bobby flay whenever he's on.....he's a nice man to sit and watch!!!

Thanksgiving and Christmas are the seasons to really get into these shows, thats what did it for me. We got cable just before Thanksgiving one year I I got hooked on the shows. Who would have thought there were so many ways to make turkey! That was the first time i had ever seen a Rachel Ray episode, Thanksgiving dinner in 30 minutes! It was unreal.

haven't tried and entire holiday meal in 30 minutes, but i do take pieces from different meals and take them to mom's! easter dinner i made the corn stuffing with linguisa(sp) rachael made, and it was awesome!!

I watch the Food Network a lot over the weekends, and whenever else there is no "scheduled" show to watch!

I have also become bored with Emeril. Very much the same every time and the people in his audiences bore me too..

I enjoy Rachael Ray's $40 dollars a day, Tasty Travels, and a host of other shows. The challenges are great too and of course The Iron Chef and The Iron Chef America.

I really enjoy Unwrapped and the Secret Life of.... There are so many that I like and I can't think of all of them at the moment. I can find something to watch on that Channel at most times.

yes, flo, i also enjoy unwrapped. not so much marc summers (although he was great on double dare) but i love seeing how stuff is made! reminds me of watching mr. rogers when he went to the crayon factory! i like seeing how they spice red hots, or make the cheezits.....

i also like watching warren brown(think that's his name) on sugar rush! i wish i was that talented!!!

I love watching most of the "grilling" shows and also the barbeque competitions that they do, mostly down South, when the competitors travel around and cart all their equipment, grills and supplies with them, then they set up along the way for the different competitions. I forget what those shows are called.

the one show i WILL NOT watch is the barefoot contessa. not only does she annoy me to death, but i think her recipes are not appetizing and way too involved....maybe her and nathan should hook up!!

I absolutely love the Food Network. Any time something isn't on, I'll watch Food Network. A few of my favorite shows are

Good Eats. I learn so much in that show.

30 Minute Meals. I love Rachel Ray, her other shows I don't watch, but they never seem to be on when I have nothing else on. I agree though, her hand motions drive me bananas. And she repeats herself a lot through different episodes (Whenever you have greens, I like to put nutmeg, it's that thing that makes them go 'hmm, what is that taste') (Remember, when you get home wash your veggies and sort your herbs so you have them good to go when you're cooking) (Oh, it smells so awesome in here) (etc, lol).

Iron Chef America. I love it, I only tend to watch it when Bobby Flay isn't on though, I'm not a Bobby Flay fan.

Molto Mario. I'm probably one of the few people that like this show. But Mario is always so informative. He always teaches a ton about Italy, and why they use certain foods - as well as how it varies so much based on which part of Italy you're in. Not to mention his food always looks amazing.

Unwrapped. ESPECIALLY when it's about candy!

Food Network Challenge. I love this show. I'm always so in awe about how people can make cakes the way they do. Or the other day it was Gingerbread houses based on real mansions. They always turn out so amazing, and it's just one of those talents I'm soooo extremely jealous of.

Semi-Homemade. While it isn't one of my favorites, and I really don't like the host, there are some really helpful tips on the show.

All except Semi-Homemade are programmed for my schedule of TV. I love the Food Network. I also watch a bunch of their specials. And whatever else is on if nothing else is on TV.

i must admit, i've never watched alton brown and did not know who he was until i saw him on the next foodnetwork star. is he a guru or something??!

"Pop culture, comedy, and plain good eating: Host Alton Brown explores the origins of ingredients, decodes culinary customs and presents food and equipment trends. Punctuated by unusual interludes, simple preparations and unconventional discussions, he'll bring you food in its finest and funniest form."

That's foodnetwork.com's description of his show. I love his show though, it's great. Always entertaining, and always teaches me something.

This is why a lot of the people on Next Foodnetwork Star looked up to him.

"Alton Brown's first book, I'm Just Here for the Food, won the James Beard Foundation Award for Best Cookbook in the reference category, and was one of the bestselling cookbooks of 2002, with over 165,000 copies now in print. It was also chosen by Amazon.com as one of the top 50 books of 2002 by both editors and readers. "

Edit - Actually, if you'd like to catch his show.. he's on tonight at 7 PM EST. Teaching how to make donuts :).

Alton Brown is one of the few on the network that I just can't stand. I got the impression it was his way or no way. Maybe it was just a bad first impression.

I tend to agree about the Barefoot Contessa. If the name of her show isn't pretensious enough, cooking for brunch in the Hamptons is!

BTW, glad to see all the chatter!!!

I like Alton Brown, Emirel Lagasse, Ham on the Street and Unwraped. Those shows I like to watch.

I also like when they have those specials like the BBQ cookoffs where they compete for best meat like ribs, chicken, brisket and BBQ sauce. Also those dessert challenges like the cake, chocolate, sugar things where they have to carry to the table and are cool. The Next Food Network star is great to watch.

The shows I dislike are anything with Bobby Flay and Mario Batali. Bobby Flay just comes off as an arrogant jerk and he thinks he's the only one that has ever cooked Southwest cuisine. Mario Batali is the sloppiest, messiest and unkept looking cook at TFN. I wouldn't touch his food with a ten foot pole. Watching Al Roker talk with his mouth full into the camera is not a great sight either. However the few special shows he hosts are ok.

i watched molto mario one time, and i did not like him at all. i agree that his is very unkempt! c'mon dude, comb the hair!!!!!!!

missed alton's show last nite.....and i didn't get it tivo'd......maybe i'll see a rerun this weekend. that's usually when i can catch up on shows i missed.

I also like when they have those specials like the BBQ cookoffs where they compete for best meat like ribs, chicken, brisket ....

I got all excited about the brisket. Went out, bought the smoker, the wood chips, the thermometer, a fine piece of meat. It looked like an easy enough task. I had fantasies of a smoking anything with flesh. HA! that lasted until the first bite of brisket. Very dry, very strong when done according to the directions I went used. The smoker et al has been sitting on the deck now for about 6 months, untouched. So, the other day I watched Paula Deen's episode, Tug Boat Catering and she did a brisket that had my mouth watering again. Her's only required smoking for about half the amount of time of the recipe I used. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend. I might even try some of Emeril's pineapple-jalepeno sorbet to spice things up.

i watched molto mario one time, and i did not like him at all. i agree that his is very unkempt! c'mon dude, comb the hair!!!!!!!

missed alton's show last nite.....and i didn't get it tivo'd......maybe i'll see a rerun this weekend. that's usually when i can catch up on shows i missed.

lol. I don't know what it is about Mario that I like. I think it's just the fact that he's so informative in his shows, and I don't really pay much attention to anything other than the food, lol. I've never really noticed how unkempt he is, but I'm generally doing other stuff while that show is on. Also, Good Eats is on everyday about 4 times a day, lol. The only times I know for sure, are 7 PM EST, and I think 10 PM EST.

I also like when they have those specials like the BBQ cookoffs where they compete for best meat like ribs, chicken, brisket and BBQ sauce.

I'm assuming you know about the Rib cookoff this Sunday? It's on Food Network Challenge, I believe it's at 10 PM EST.

I'm assuming you know about the Rib cookoff this Sunday? It's on Food Network Challenge, I believe it's at 10 PM EST.

This is just what I need, a major rib craving at 10pm on a Sunday evening! These things need to be watched when theres still time left to go to the store and start cooking.

Archived