The next food network star

Scuba

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for Guy. His food always looked the best to me. My favorite was Carissa until she got the ax.

The show's alright..the only problem with it is the inclusion of Bobby Flay as a judge..the guy just annoys me to no end.

the only problem with it is the inclusion of Bobby Flay as a judge..the guy just annoys me to no end.

Oh man, I agree with you there! I cannot STAND Bobby Flay, in ANY of his Food Network shows, not on here, and definitely not on Iron Chef America!

I voted for Reggie, I like Guy, I like them both, actually. But Reggie makes me laugh, he's definitely a doll.

Tonights finale was so miserably boring. The outcome was pretty predictable with Guy's win. I think Food Network wanted him to win and that's why they put someone who didn't have a chance to win against him. Reggie is really not a chef but rather a baker. Maybe next time they can get real chefs and make a real competition out of it.

didn't have a chance??!! oh, poor reggie! i wanted him to win sooooooooo badly. he just seemed the most real to me! i loved the way he was with julie chen!! personally, i don't think guys show will last too long. i think he'll have his six episodes, and then be gone. but i guess only time will tell!

didn't have a chance??!! oh, poor reggie! i wanted him to win sooooooooo badly. he just seemed the most real to me! i loved the way he was with julie chen!! personally, i don't think guys show will last too long. i think he'll have his six episodes, and then be gone. but i guess only time will tell!

I don't know what it was about Guy, but I just can't see him running a good show. The only time he was funny/entertaining was when he was over-the-top. But the exec's knocked him down from that. His last Promo was really boring. I don't even think I'll be watching his show, to be honest.

Reggie though, he was entertaining the entire way through. On all of his stuff. But I can see your point, Stephen. Reggie is definitely more of a baker, than a chef. Maybe they'll ask him back for a baking show! Reggie's such a doll.

i didn't watch the first season, but how did two people win? were they competing together? and if not, is it possible that they will bring reggie on? i want to see him have a show SO BADLY!! i would use his recipes. and i agree with you moksha.....i might watch the first episode, but guy will definately NOT be on my TiVo!

i didn't watch the first season, but how did two people win? were they competing together? and if not, is it possible that they will bring reggie on? i want to see him have a show SO BADLY!! i would use his recipes. and i agree with you moksha.....i might watch the first episode, but guy will definately NOT be on my TiVo!

I'd assume they were competing together. But I didn't watch the first season either, lol.

I didn't watch the first season either but here's what I found after researching it. The winners of the first season of "The Next Food Network Star," Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh, did compete as a team. Dan and Steve are a couple in real life who operate an independent catering business in Chicago called The Hearty Boys, Co.

The first season of "The Next Food Network Star" series was taped in February 2005, and was composed of five episodes premiering on Sundays in June 2005. Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh became Food Network stars; these two Chicago area caterers now host a show called "Party Line with Dan & Steve," now titled "Party Line with The Hearty Boys," which premiered on September 18, 2005.

"Party Line with The Hearty Boys" is a Food Network show hosted by real-life couple Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh. Smith and McDonagh launched the show after winning the network's reality contest, "The Next Food Network Star," which granted them a six-show Food Network series.

The original series was entitled "Party Line with Dan & Steve," but, after wide success, the hosts were allowed to change the title in order to reflect and give credit to their independent Chicago catering business, "The Hearty Boys, Co."

For the viewer, 'Party Line' deconstructs food that is fit for entertaining, yet retains a simple and comforting heartiness. With recipes such as three-cheese spaghetti pie and truffle brownies, the focus is largely on attractive and flavorful dishes that require a minimum of fuss and are appropriate for mid- to large-sized gatherings.

Like most of Food Network's cooking shows, "Party Line with the Hearty Boys" is filmed on the Food Network sets without a studio audience. Again, following in the footsteps of their fellow Food Network stars, Smith and McDonagh have authored a cookbook entitled "The Hearty Boys; Solving the Run of The Mill," which is slated for release in early 2006.

Hope this answers any questions about Season One because I had a hard time finding this information. Leave it up to Wikipedia to provide the answer! Even The Food Network's own Web site didn't provide that many details on their first season. Go figure!

I liked both Reggie and Guy but I voted for Guy in the end. My criteria was very slight but since I adored them both (Reggie for personality and Guy for creative cooking ideas like his amazing cupcakes), I decided to judge them on their pilot shows alone.

Reggie was a total star with Julie Chen but I thought he stumbled a bit on his pilot. I think it was a case of nerves on his part but when Reggie couldn't figure out what to say or do next, he kept repeating the word 'and' over and over again. I just think he didn't come across as well as he had done in prior episodes.

It was a close call for me but I preferred Guy's pilot just a little more than I did Reggie's. I'm hoping the Food Network or another cooking show will see Reggie's potential and give him a shot as well. I figure Guy has to carve out his own niche on Food Network but it would be nice toward the end of his six-week run to invite Reggie on to do a baking segment . . . They could call it "Sassy and Off-The-Hook!"

By the way, did anyone catch Guy's appearance this morning on CBS' "The Early Show" with Julie Chen? I overslept this morning and caught only the last half hour of the show so his cooking segment must have already aired at an earlier time slot. Damn! Perhaps, they'll have a video of it so we can catch his actual morning show debut.

Thanks h8ts_qt. I watched the first season and couldn't post til now. Last season there was some grumbling that those two had an advantage over the others on challenges because there were two of them. That's why I'm guessing they had that lame challenge this second season where they had to buddy up with another contestant to prove its harder for two to cook rather than one.

Also the winner only getting six episodes to prove themsleves seems rather harsh. I guess so Foodnetwork doesn't get stuck with an entire season of a show that nobody watches like last years winners.

For me it wasn't even close as to who to pick. I thought both Nathan and Carissa were more worthy to be a finalist than Reggie. He just appeared too sloppy and his cooking style was so unappealing. He was messy and always touching food with his bare hands a la Molto Mario who grosses me out too when he cooks. Reggie giving that raw chicken that message was just unnecessary. Those monikers of "girls" and "sassy" was also way overdone IMO.

I actually didn't like Guy til the end but his personality fits what the Food network looks for and is. I really don't think people even go to learn to cook at FN but just to be entertained. Except I learned what andouille sasuage was and actually bought some and liked it.

i have to disagree with you about people going to food network just to be entertained.......i was recently on maternity leave, and had quite a bit of time to watch food network, and i am a better cook because of it! rachael ray is my HERO! i have taken so many of her recipes and cooking styles, i'm a RR jr.!!!

as for the other contestants.....i wasn't a huge fan of carissa's.....she seemed a bit snooty for me. nathan was a doll, but i got lost watching him sometimes. i couldn't follow his recipes. he had too many ingredients for my taste.

I must admit I watch Food Network for both reasons. It's entertaining to watch skillful chefs who make food preparation look like fun as well as easy. (Yeah, right!) Well, easy for them. However, if they're making something not to my taste, I rarely stay tuned so I'm a blend of both education and entertainment.

I prefer the cooking shows that can teach me quick and easy things to make because of time limitations. Rachael Ray, "Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee" and "Paula Dean's Home Cooking" are among my favorites. I love some of the non-cooking shows too like Rachael Ray's "$40 A Day". I was addicted to "Date Plate" but that got pushed so late in the schedule and eventually cancelled.

Back to the contest, I really liked Andrew Schumacher's cooking but his personality never came across the screen to me. Carissa is from my neck of the woods and she's appeared on many of our local programs. She does a much better job on our little shows than she did in this contest but I find I lose interest because she cooks too many things that don't appeal to me. If you truly want snooty, switch the channel to Bravo on Wednesdays to "Top Chef" and check out Stephen or Tiffani from Las Vegas (Stephen wins the snooty award in my book).

I was so ready to adore Nathan but I agree with Scuba that he had a tendency to overcomplicate instruction with too many ingredients and attempting to squeeze too much information in too little time. Reggie still holds a warm place in my heart. He is like a welcoming hug on my television screen. I truly hope someone sees how much he has to offer and open up an opportunity for him to blossom.

I think Guy sealed the deal with me when he drew me into his personal side with stories about his son and his growing family. I think the cupcake demonstration was the other thing that pulled me to the "Guy Club." He was so creative and the fact that he made them appealing to his son warmed my heart. I actually went to his catering/restaurant's Web site and WOW! He's my kind of chef! And, his children's menu is phenomenal. It has almost a dozen entrees alone and it lets the parents and kids tailor the plate to their personal taste by giving several sides to choose from. Check it out: Johnny Garlics.

IMO Foodnetwork is a place where you would not go to learn to cook. Maybe a tip here or there but it just set up to entertain rather than substance. Notice all the chefs refer you over to the website for the correct recipe. It's just too fast paced to be accurate.

Funny you both brought up Rachel Ray. Yes I like her but her shows tend to be on the unrealistic side. 30 minute meals seems like a great idea but ever notice everything is in the right place in her kitchen. She pulls raw vegetables out of her fridge the exact right amount. She doesn't even really wash them which is kinda a disservice to viewers especially with hepatitis A so closely linked to raw unwashed vegetables. Last year in Cali they had an outbreak for the prewashed salad mix warning people to even wash that. $40 a day is entertaining to watch but really isn't feasible. If my little family of my son, girlfriend and myself did that a 10 day vacation would cost $1200 just for the food. Again this show to me is about the entertainment value. Serioulsy who would spend an entire morning in a library on vavation just beacuse it had a good cheap restaurant...Not me.

Back to the FoodNetwork Star. Seems that we all are in agreement that Guy was clearly the deserving winner. Where we seem to disagree is who should a been in second. Both of you make great points that the food styles of Clarrisa and Nathan were either too complicated or out of the mainstay. Funny that neither of you mentioned anything about Reggies cooking skills (or lack of them) but gushed over his great personality in the kitchen. Seems to me that if he had his own show people would tune into not to learn to cook but, do I dare say it.... to be entertained.

Funny you both brought up Rachel Ray. Yes I like her but her shows tend to be on the unrealistic side. 30 minute meals seems like a great idea but ever notice everything is in the right place in her kitchen. She pulls raw vegetables out of her fridge the exact right amount. She doesn't even really wash them which is kinda a disservice to viewers especially with hepatitis A so closely linked to raw unwashed vegetables.

Well of course she has it already prepped before they start :). And she does wash her veggies, every few shows she goes "Now remember, when you get home from the store go ahead and wash and sort your veggies/herbs/etc so you have them ready to go when you're cooking!"

stephen.....not to argue with you, BUT you can make her recipes in 30 minutes! i have done quite a few of them.......yes, her panty and fridge are amazingly stocked for her particular meal, but if i get the recipe offline, i can do it too! i've not found one of her meals that took me more than 30 minutes....and i'm being completely honest here.

as for reggie.....i liked him because he had problems with the cooking.....he was more on my cooking level. we could have learned together! and i wasn't disagreeing with you about the entertainment....just saying that i do go there to learn new recipes and how to make them. the food network taught me how to dice onions and other veggies!

ps....moksha is right, rachael does mention that she washes her veggies right when she brings them home to save time when she's cooking!!

Well of course she has it already prepped before they start :). And she does wash her veggies, every few shows she goes "Now remember, when you get home from the store go ahead and wash and sort your veggies/herbs/etc so you have them ready to go when you're cooking!"

You're half correct. She has many of times used prepacked/prewashed vegetables ready to use out of the packages...yuck. Sometimes she even just gives a quick rinse and not a proper washing.

ScubaSteve..I was shocked when you said "maternity leave" I always just assumed you were a guy. Sometimes a name can be deceiving. No arguing though..just a nice healthy discussion with differing opinions. Unfortunately my skills and orginization for a 30 minute meal are hotdogs and macaroni and cheese. My son and I have already dubbed Kraft Macaroni and Cheese the food of the Gods! I guess Rachel forgets to say to organize everything the night before and line everything up in the cupboard ready to go.

stephen, its all good about the name......many a person has confused it! (i got it from Big Daddy............)

and a little practice and you will be cooking like rachael in no time!

Funny you both brought up Rachel Ray. Yes I like her but her shows tend to be on the unrealistic side. 30 minute meals seems like a great idea but ever notice everything is in the right place in her kitchen. She pulls raw vegetables out of her fridge the exact right amount. She doesn't even really wash them which is kinda a disservice to viewers especially with hepatitis.
I think you might be expecting a little too much from a cooking show! LOL! However, I, too, have completed many a 30-minute meal by Rachael Ray by taking shortcuts like buying pre-chopped veggies or having spices, herbs and such on hand in my pantry.

I've even gone one further and used pre-cooked meats or microwaveable side dishes like the current Zatarains Rice blends. I think I mentioned one of my shows is 'Semi-Homemade' so you can imagine I take shortcuts whenever possible. Life is too short for cooking and cleaning and I never will be guilty of being a culinary genius.

However, most people I feed never realize that I begin with pre-made ingredients as a base and then build on it. I'm the Spice and Herb Diva. Season, Season, Season! Why stew the tomatoes yourself when they have perfectly great stewed tomatoes with all sort of extra ingredients like peppers and onions to help you limit your time in the kitchen.

I leave all the fresh ingredients to my best friend who even grows her own vegetables in a HUGE backyard garden. Think Martha Stewart. We hate her! Not really but we do admire her fortitude in being the perennial Earth Mother.

I must admit I take some satisfaction in having more compliments on my dinner parties because I'm not afraid to use the seasonings to spice things up! She's more on the bland style emphasizing healthy eating (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I tend to give a few more options to my guests. I vary my menu to include both health conscious and decadent treats for the more adventurous or the lucky few blessed with a great gene pool.

$40 a day is entertaining to watch but really isn't feasible. If my little family of my son, girlfriend and myself did that a 10 day vacation would cost $1200 just for the food. Again this show to me is about the entertainment value. Serioulsy who would spend an entire morning in a library on vavation just beacuse it had a good cheap restaurant...Not me.
I actually put Rachael Ray to the test here in my hometown and she actually did provide me with some great places to dine for a small amount of cash. And, I don't think she spent the entire morning in the library just because she had breakfast there.

For instance, there is a great restaurant inside our world famous zoo. The restaurant has fabulous food at slightly higher prices than most zoo goers were willing to spend so they were struggling in the beginning. They got very smart by changing their game plan and opening up the restaurant to outside patrons who were willing to pay a little higher price for a great cuisine high atop a phenomenal view of the zoo without having to pay the price or spend the time at the zoo.

Where we seem to disagree is who should a been in second. Both of you make great points that the food styles of Clarrisa and Nathan were either too complicated or out of the mainstay. Funny that neither of you mentioned anything about Reggies cooking skills (or lack of them) but gushed over his great personality in the kitchen. Seems to me that if he had his own show people would tune into not to learn to cook but, do I dare say it.... to be entertained.
I would have mentioned Reggie's cooking skills if they had featured his baking forte. I'm sure since he has an extensive backing background, he could have openly displayed his expertise. I was choosing between the two candidates the judges gave us to vote on.

If Nathan had listened to the professionals and brought his cooking style down a notch, he would have been my choice for second. I also preferred Andrew for his culinary ability but he never had that spark that you need to be an on-air personality. Carissa does much better here on the local level so perhaps she's learned her lesson well from being on the show. My biggest complaint with her was her lack of time management.

Great to see you back StephenV! I know I've missed you and your unique perspective. I fondly remember a number of great thread conversations in our past. Don't be a stranger! You've been gone too long!

thanks h8! and wow.......you must have a lot of time on your hands! :P
Funny thing is I don't really but then again, I haven't slept in years! LOL! Actually, I've really enjoyed your perspective on this show. I don't often get the chance to dialogue with all the entertainment news that's out there to report. In fact, I'm off right now . . . there are too many celebs having babies, swapping spouses, etc. Off to La La land! Happy cooking!

Hi Hates Quiet! I really haven't been gone I guess this is the first reality show we've had in common since the microwave debate.

I think you kinda missed my point about my posts especially the $40 a day but I'll just leave it at that. I guess we can continue the debate next season when Food Network Star 3 begins. I'll use a line from you and that we can agree to just disagree.

Since you have mentioned you watch Top Chef we can continue a new conversation there. One day we'll see eye to eye but if we did I guess that would take the fun out of it. LOL. Thanks h8s_qt!

Hi Hates Quiet! I really haven't been gone I guess this is the first reality show we've had in common since the microwave debate.

I think you kinda missed my point about my posts especially the $40 a day but I'll just leave it at that. I guess we can continue the debate next season when Food Network Star 3 begins. I'll use a line from you and that we can agree to just disagree.

Since you have mentioned you watch Top Chef we can continue a new conversation there. One day we'll see eye to eye but if we did I guess that would take the fun out of it. LOL. Thanks h8s_qt!

I just haven't seen your posts lately and I missed them because you might have missed the point of MY post in saying I ENJOY your perspective. You always add something worthwhile to the thread whether we ever agree or not. You usually manage to disagree without condescending and I, for one, appreciate your ability in that area.

I truly believe I got your posts and I was trying to tease you a little (shame on me) but they still haven't made fonts to convey that yet. I think I might have met a golden opportunity if I could only find a great typographer to join forces with! LOL! I'd love to create a font that conveys sarcasm, humor, sadness and while we on the topic of food . . . hunger!

I actually don't see a debate or a lack of seeing eye to eye between us here. We both liked Guy and our other top picks were Nathan and Carissa. Sadly, the judges didn't give us the option of voting until the end when they narrowed it down to their two choices. I can't wait to pop over to see who you like on "Top Chef." I bet you we agree!

In fact, I'm going to tell you who my top two picks are before I even know who you like and I bet we agree again! My top pick is Lee Anne from New York and my second choice is also from New York . . . Harold. Okay, time to pop over to the "Top Chef" thread and see if my crystal ball is still working. LOL!

i'm anxiously awaiting the third installment of this show.....till next season!

i too am going to watch top chef.....it's been tivo'd!

Scuba . . . Great News! There's a "Top Chef" mini-marathon on tonight! It starts at 4 p.m. but check your local listings for the times in your area. Enjoy! See you both on the other thread!

Archived