Dead Zone

Stargazer

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

The Dead Zone

Johnny Smith closed season three out on the floor after another apocalyptic vision. Last night, his squeeze, Rebecca Caldwell (Sarah Wynter) plotted to bump off congressman Greg Stillson (Sean Patrick Flanery), whom she believes bumped off her sister, Rachel. Although Stillson is tied to an impending catastrophe, Johnny's too nice a guy to let her sacrifice herself to prevent it. Accused of killing Rebecca's sister and experiencing visions that threaten his life, Johnny goes on the lam dressed as a homeless person, and I had to admire how Anthony Michael Hall was able to weave through a crowd carrying that cane of his. Plus, I loved watching Walt clock that stooge, who left enough blood on his fist for Johnny to tie Rachel's murder to the Stillsons. Something was up with Stillson pere too. In the prologue, he slapped little Greg for upstaging him in a flashback that recalled dad and lad as Paper Moon-type con artists. See, Pop swigged booze and took care of the kid's "loose ends," by offing Greg's girlfriends. Sure, Daddy's responsibility for Rachel's death was telegraphed, but so what? I was almost happy that Junior finally took out the trash. Speaking of which, who's the smooth cat with the funky ring? First, he springs Purdy from the jug ("We don't get to judge ourselves... that's God's job"

Guest ranster627

The Dead Zone

This just in: The Stockholm Syndrome hits Maine as Johnny burns grilled cheese. The connection here is Sarah Bannerman, who, instead of calling the fire department to douse the culinary cinders, asks the psychic's help in tracking down a missing homeless gal. Now that son J.J. is growing up a bit and Sheriff Walt's busy enforcing the law, Sarah has been volunteering at a community center, where she's been helping a woman named Erica, who has suddenly disappeared. Erica was played by Joely Collins, whose father is the gnome-like drummer for Genesis.

Fortunately, Joely doesn't mug the way Phil does in his videos, so when Erica forced to act like a Stepford Wife by some weirdo wearing a see-through hockey mask, I felt for her. Joely's high cheekbones and squinty eyes made her look like a cute blonde version of Dianne Wiest, which meant tears gushed like Niagra Falls. Once on the case, Johnny and Walt encounter one of Mr. Face Mask's previous hostages, who, at the outset, didn't want to help, but then changed her mind (pay attention, we're approaching Sweden). Abandoning her loving husband, the woman suddenly pulled a Patti Hearst deja vu and enthusiastically reclaimed her inner Tanya even though meant dressing like June Cleaver and the very real possibility of torture if she overcooked a sirloin. Caught between Walt's .45 and Mr. Face Mask's shotgun, Johnny escapes without a scratch (he did see it coming), even as the plant where Face Mask stashed Erica explodes. As the police backup arrives (just after the nick of time) to pick up the pieces of the hell that's broken loose, the Proverbial Tanya takes her beloved Face Mask off into the night in search of a new and disturbed life. I wish them many happy detours.

Guest ranster627

The Dead Zone

In one of his E.L. Wisty monologues, British comic Peter Cook observed that "once bees use their stingers, they die" and thus bees use them on "the deterrent principle." I'm not sure what they meant to deter when they stung Alex Sinclair over 90 percent of her body at the ripe old age of seven, but I can only imagine that a) she apparently posed quite a threat or B) the bees were committing mass suicide. Regardless of their motives, the bees awakened a psychic ability in Alex that rivaled Johnny's. It's about time another seer made our hero's head spin, and Jennifer Finnigan's flirtatious Alex was a perfect foil. It was great seeing her one up Johnny in the first half, particularly when a vision led Johnny to a parking garage where he smugly expects to surprise her. Instead, he's surprised when he finds Alex at a snooty eatery, where she's already ordered his favorite meal: a T-bone with candied carrots and, yuck, creamed spinach. "Is this where you tell me this town is not big enough for two psychics?" Being a Stephen King-inspired drama, however, the light tone quickly dissipated as the pair hunted a sniper who targeted a priest and a doctor for failing to heal his comatose boy Charlie (a fixture of Alex's visions). It climaxed in a church, with Alex near death from an allergic reaction to a beewax candle and Johnny trying to persuade the bereaved dad not to gun down a man of the cloth. I almost needed a cloth myself to wipe away the proverbial tear of Alex's departure, but to quote Johnny, "How can two people who see everything ever have a relationship?" Before I could reply at the screen he added. "Sure would be fun trying though." Would be fun watching too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

The Dead Zone

WHOOSH... shippa-dippa-dippa... Ever notice that whenever John Smith has a vision it's accompanied by the sound of an overamplified Frisbee skidding on a pavement? Not that I'm complaining (or shilling for Frisbee, for that matter), but when the Law & Order folks make such a big noise about their echoed gavel pound, I figure the good people at the Dead Zone are entitled to do the same for their signature sound effect, particularly since last night's plot was just as distorted. I may not know much about art, but I liked the idea of the craven art patron who furnishes egomaniacal artist Andrew Lyne with daughters the way a pimp supplies a wealthy john with hookers. "I did what had to be done," said the "snoob," who earned a sizable cut of the recent "Daughter Series" from the reclusive Lyne (a pompous composite of Andrew Wyeth and Fatal Attraction director Adrian Lyne). The sudden recharging of Lyne's muse was directly attributed to the sudden discovery of Lyne's beautiful, long-lost daughter Chloe. She filled the void left by Julia, Lyne's previous beautiful, long-lost daughter, who was founded along a nearby shoreline with her skull bashed in. Once John figured out (through the usual series of WHOOSH visions) that Chloe was in line for a similar headache, it became clear that Lyne's assistant Nora had a hand in what was about to go down (Chloe). Nora, you see, was Lyne's real daughter. Alas, she didn't do much for Dad in the muse department, hence the head-banging.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

FROM Sci-Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 22-JULY-05

Zone's Female Psychic Returns

Jennifer Finnigan told SCI FI Wire that she will reprise the role of psychic Alex Sinclair in an upcoming "very special" Christmas episode of USA Network's hit SF series The Dead Zone. Finnigan's character was introduced in this season's third episode, "Double Vision," in which she had a few romantic sparks with Anthony Michael Hall's Johnny Smith.

"I did another episode recently," Finnegan said in an interview at CBS' fall press preview, where she was promoting her upcoming dramatic series Close to Home. "I did a very special Dead Zone Christmas. I was just there a couple of weeks ago. They wanted me to ... do more, and ... they said, 'Whenever you have a window of time to come and do a little stint with us, we'd love it.' And so I said, 'Absolutely.' I love them. And I had a blast with Michael Hall. And the character's so much fun."

Finnigan added: "It's a sweet episode. ... It's kind of a chase episode. We're trying to figure out who did it. The fun thing is that Michael Hall's character and my character really work together, because we're both psychics in different ways."

Finnigan said that producers were eager to find a character who could generate some romance with Hall's Smith, and Finnigan's Sinclair seemed to fit the bill. "They called me and said, 'We can't find our girl, and we keep thinking of you. Would you come do it?' And I said, 'You bet I will.'"

It's unclear whether Finnigan's schedule will allow further appearances, as she's the star of a new CBS show that gears up production soon. But she said she'd welcome the chance to do more: "You know what, I might want a bit of levity between this show [Close to Home]." Finnigan's next Dead Zone appearance will air in December. USA Network is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

• 1 month later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Matt

Question: I was just reading your opinion of Wanted because I was curious to see what you thought. You see, I am a Dead Zone fan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Matt

Question: Before the last new season of The Dead Zone, they said there would be 22 new episodes instead of the usual eight or so. What happened to that?

Matt Roush: Welcome to the confusing world of cable programming, where the season is often (but not always) split between summer and winter seasons. Eleven episodes aired this summer, and the rest will likely be seen in January or thereabouts.

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: USANETWORK, DEAD ZONE

SPECIAL HOLIDAY EPISODE!

Santa suprise, hightlight to open the present.

When female psychic Alex Sinclair (returning guest star Jennifer Finnigan) pays Johnny a surprise Christmas visit, the two work together to solve the mystery of one very lost and confused Santa.

Sharing disturbing and contradictory visions of their Santa

• 3 months later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK AUSIELLO

Question: I haven't heard any news about The Dead Zone. I'm patiently waiting for scoop.

• 2 months later...

OHHHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSSSSS This is one of my shows back. Now if Surface returns I will be really happy. :)

Courtesy of: NBC UNIVERSAL MEDIA VILLAGE

SEASON FIVE OF USA NETWORK'S ORIGINAL SERIES

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Anthony Michael Hall Is Back in the Zone

by Dana Meltzer Zepeda

Anthony Michael Hall, The Dead Zone

As USA Network's The Dead Zone returns for a new season (premiering Sunday at 10 pm/ET), series star and former Brat Packer Anthony Michael Hall ponders what's in his future.

TV Guide: You filmed the past two seasons of Dead Zone in Vancouver a year ago. Any hints about what's in store for your character, Johnny, this season?

Anthony Michael Hall: He's just finished tracking down Sean Patrick Flanery [who plays corrupt congressman Greg Stillson] for four years.... I can't remember!

TV Guide: Why don't you try channeling Johnny's psychic abilities?

Hall: [Laughs] I don't want to give it away, but the focus has to do with Rachel, the dead sister of Sarah Wynter's character, Rebecca. She's tracking down Stillson, until she finds out that he's responsible for Rachel's murder. There's also an agent who works for Stillson [who is] tracking me down.

TV Guide: Was it tough taping two seasons back-to-back?

Hall: I looked at it like a marathon. I was building my own production company while I was doing a 60-minute show every seven days. The directors shift every week. The guest stars change every week. People either agree to get along, or they don't. When they don't, it gets reduced to high school.

TV Guide: Speaking of high school, your breakout film role was in Sixteen Candles and then you starred in The Breakfast Club. Ever watch when they're on TV?

Hall: Absolutely! For a normal person, the equivalent would be a yearbook that sits on a shelf in your mom's house. This is a yearbook that came to life.

TV Guide: Do you still talk to members of the Brat Pack?

Hall: Definitely. Judd [Nelson] and I reconnected. I just sent him my script for this movie I'm directing called Life After Death in Las Vegas

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Dead Zoner Puts Johnny on the Spot

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060623insider1.jpg

Sean Patrick Flanery

As Congressman Greg Stillson on USA Network

• 4 months later...

Courtesy of: USA, DEAD ZONE

USA NETWORK ANNOUNCES SIXTH SEASON PICKUP OF "THE DEAD ZONE"

HIT SERIES FROM LIONSGATE AND CBS PARAMOUNT INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION TO RETURN WITH 13 ORIGINAL EPISODES IN SUMMER 2007

LOS ANGELES, CA