The View

mikede

March 28, 2006 -- CALLS JOY 'B-WORD' DURING PHONE FIGHT

STAR Jones and Joy Behar were at each other's throats again on yesterday's "The View" - and Jones wasn't even in the studio.

It eventually got so bad that one of Behar's remarks to Jones was bleeped - and Jones called Behar a "b***h" before being cut off the air.

The brouhaha started when Jones called into the show to talk about her recent elective surgery, a breast lift, and rumors she was near death after receiving a blood transfusion following the procedure.

"Can we first start with the fact that I did not almost die?" said Jones. "You guys know I'm anemic . . . when you have surgery, you have to make sure your doctors know everything going on . . . just in case I needed some blood, which I did . . . Literally, I was fine right afterwards."

Behar appeared to grow increasingly irritated as Jones kept talking about her surgery, answering questions about it from her co-hosts. "It's a little bit of a hoist because after you lose some weight, you sometimes go real flat, and I really wanted to lift them up," she said of her breast lift, which included implants.

At one point, as Jones kept talking, Behar grabbed a pen and furiously scribbled a note, then gestured to Meredith Vieira to read the note, tapping the paper for emphasis.

"Last Friday was my 44th birthday, but my boobs still think they're 20," Jones said - and that's when Behar heard enough. "OK, Star. That's enough about you. On to us. 'Bye," she snapped.

Behar was bleeped when she added "Keep your [breasts] perky!" in a mock-cheerful voice.

"I'm glad to see you haven't changed," Jones shot back. "Even today, you are still a b***h," she said before the call was abruptly cut off.

"If you watch 'The View' regularly, Star and Joy enjoy teasing each other. No harm done," said a show spokesman. "There's no reason to read any more into it than what was on-air."

This was, however, the latest in a long line of Jones-Behar dustups. Last December, the two went at it during a discussion of religion, when Jones began talking about her "personal relationship with God" - and Behar wondered aloud why this "is a public thing."

Last January, Jones said on "The View" that the war on terror was simply a clash of male egos between President Bush and Osama bin Laden.

The Video

http://bestweekever.blogs.com/best_week_ev...you_mis_43.html

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually heard this in real time while watching the show and it definitely is much ado about nothing. The women often joke with one another and refer to each other as 'bitches.' It happens at least once a week where one of the ladies of "The View" either jokes or jabs the other about 'my bitches.' They also tease each other about making out with each other but no one seems to make a big deal out of that.

Star Jones Reynolds called into the program to dispel 'life and death' rumors about her plastic surgery. She was more or less being interviewed by the women lead by Meredith Vieira when the call started to go a little long in air time. The women wear ear pieces so the control room can talk to them as well as producer Bill Getty in the front row. I heard that they were being prompted to cut the phone interview short because of time constraints.

However, no one seemed to be getting the message or could find a graceful and quick way to end the conversation. Joy Behar even scribbled a hasty note and passed it to Meredith with no results so she either took the lead or was told to intervene and did so in her usual trademarked abrupt style of humor.

Joy interrupted the phone interview by jokingly jabbing Star by saying, "OK, Star. That's enough about you. On to us. Bye, now." Basically, she was saying "We've got to go. It's not all about you" or something close. Then to add another humorous quip, Joy added "Keep your [tits] perky!" which, of course, was bleeped because it's on the censored word list for the ABC network for daytime regulations.

They were definitely going long in the segment because the commercial break came up pretty quick. I think that's where the 'dramatic' misinterpretation of what Star said back to Joy might have occurred. Star was jabbing Joy back by saying something like, "Joy, I'm glad to see you haven't changed. Even now, you're still a bitch." However, the commercial came up just as the phone call was ending.

When I heard about this 'controversy' the next day, I was really surprised to hear the media was making so much out of it. Anyone who watches the show on a regular basis probably didn't think twice about the phone call or the comments back and forth during the interview.

Joy does have days that she's a bit nastier than others. She's usually quick to inform the ladies and the viewers about that fact. She often attributes her bad moods to going through menopause or being on a diet. Again, not sure how much of those excuses are real or just given for humor and effect. I agree with the other posters this is all hype with little substance.

ap_100.jpg

Meredith Vieira Gets A Different 'View Today'

vieira.jpg

Meredith Vieira

A day after Katie Couric announced she was leaving for CBS, NBC has chosen Meredith Vieira as Matt Lauer's new partner on the "Today" show. "Meredith's vast experience as an award-winning journalist, as well as talk show host, make her the ideal candidate for this job," said Jeff Zucker, CEO of the NBC Universal Television Group.

Vieira told her audience on "The View" on Thursday, April 6 about her decision. "I'm thrilled, I'm really thrilled," she said. "You would love these people." NBC chose Vieira over several internal candidates, including weekend "Today" anchor Campbell Brown, newswoman Natalie Morales and "Today" newsreader Ann Curry. Brown and Morales had subbed for Couric on "Today" while she was on vacation at the end of last month.

With her background as a former "60 Minutes" correspondent and co-host on "The View," Vieira's experience matches a morning show host's need to do serious news and interview Hollywood celebrities and do cooking segments. Vieira has also won a Daytime Emmy award for her job as host of the game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

lauer_vieira_180.jpgmediamix-today-inside.jpg

Meredith Vieira will replace Katie Couric as Matt Lauer's new morning co-host

She's expected to join Lauer on "Today" in September. It will be the first anchor change on morning television's top-rated program since 1997. "Meredith is a real pro, and I think it speaks volumes that NBC has brought her here to 'Today,'" Lauer said.

"I have been her fan for years and I can't wait to be her partner," Lauer added. "She has the perfect background and personality to make a real mark on this show and in morning news in general. I'm thrilled to welcome her aboard."

Couric announced Wednesday, April 5, on her 15th anniversary on "Today," that she was leaving next month to join CBS. She'll become anchor and managing editor of the "CBS Evening News" in September.

view.jpg

The ladies of 'The View' include (L-R) Meredith Vieira, Star Jones-

Reynolds, Elisabeth Hasselback, Joy Behar and Barbara Walters.

Vieira had been reluctant in the past to move back to news, despite other offers, for family reasons. But "Today" gives her the chance to join a broadcast that has led in the ratings more than 10 years in a row. "I believe in growth, but right now I'm feeling terrific growing pains," Vieira said, fighting back tears.

She made the announcement while sitting next to Barbara Walters, a former "Today" personality herself and creator of "The View." Walters said "The View" would continue with the same format. "This is a very sad day for us but a very happy day," Walters said. "I know this is a wonderful new chapter for you."

If Couric is to make her dawn-to-dusk move a success, she'll need more people like Amy Lindgren. "I really love her," said Lindgren, a 27-year-old mother of two from Denmark, Maine. "I watch ABC now, but I'd rather watch Katie than the person doing the evening news (at ABC) now. She's outgoing, she's energetic and she seems to relate to the people nicely."

Katie_Couric_200x220.gif

Katie Couric

Lindgren is among the 29 percent of people responding to an Associated Press-TV Guide poll this week who said they preferred Couric in the evening. Forty-nine percent of the people said they favored Couric in the morning.

Despite the public's initial wariness, the poll suggests Couric has a chance to catch on at night, or at least lift the CBS broadcast from third place behind NBC's "Nightly News" and ABC's "World News Tonight."

About half of the respondents said they'd be willing to give Couric a try in the evening. One is Dian Miller of Shepherdsville, Kentucky, who is a loyal CBS viewer. "I like hearing Bob Schieffer," she said. "I liked Dan Rather, but I think a change is in order. I think it will be a lot better for other women coming up."

brian-williams.jpg

Brian Williams

During a time of transition in television news, Couric at least has a chance of making an impression. Brian Williams, who with only a year in the job at NBC's "Nightly News" is the longest-tenured evening news anchor, was judged most popular in a list of nine TV news personalities that also included Schieffer and Elizabeth Vargas of "World News Tonight."

That's the good news for Williams. The bad news is he was named by only 6 percent of the respondents. More than two-thirds didn't list a favorite.

Paul Wendel, a 30-year-old accountant from Newtown, Pennsylvania, said he associates the evening news with a somber, older person. "It doesn't mean she couldn't do a good job," he said, "but it isn't a person I would associate with the evening news."

inside-sawyer.jpg

Diane Sawyer

Only veteran broadcaster Diane Sawyer of ABC's "Good Morning America" received higher marks than Couric, with more than seven in 10 viewing her favorably. Unfortunately for Couric, she also had 12 percent of the people who flat-out didn't like her, higher than for any of the news personalities tested.

"I don't like her phony perkiness," said Desiree Dillon, a writer from Benicia, California. "I find her to be rather patronizing. Some of her guests she just talks down to, and she wears her opinions on her sleeve."

The AP-TV Guide poll of 615 adults was conducted by Ipsos on Monday and Tuesday. It has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

image768196g.jpg

Bob Schieffer

Six in 10 women said they would watch Couric in the evenings, compared with 38 percent of men. "She kind of bugs me," said Ethelene Fortner of Tulsa, Oklahoma. "I watched Bob Schieffer. He wasn't cocky and a know-it-all like most of them are."

Couric turned down an offer of about $20 million a year to stay at NBC in order to take CBS' five-year deal at near her current salary of about $15 million, according to people close to negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because networks do not speak publicly about salaries. She's also agreed to do "60 Minutes" stories and prime-time specials for CBS.

ap_100.jpg

Search Begins for Vieira's Replacement

Meredithvieira.jpg

Meredith Vieira

The search is already on for Meredith Vieira's replacement on the daytime chat show "The View," with chemistry and good humor among creator Barbara Walters' job requirements for a new panelist. "I think every agent in America is calling," Walters told The Associated Press on Friday, April 7.

Vieira was selected Thursday to be Katie Couric's successor on NBC's "Today" show. She tearfully announced the job change on "The View," although she will remain on the show through next month. Vieira's exit will cause no changes to the show's format, Walters said. The goal is to have Vieira's replacement in time for the new television season in September.

With her news background, Vieira often brought the most substance to the show, particularly on those days when Walters was not on the air with Joy Behar, Star Jones Reynolds and Elisabeth Hasselbeck. But Walters said she isn't necessarily looking for someone who worked in news to fill the slot.

soledad-inside.jpg2002-04-01-patricia-heaton-inside.jpginside-mimi-rogers.jpg

Leading candidates to replace Vieira include (L-R) Soledad O'Brien, Patricia Heaton and Mimi Rogers

"Chemistry is important and I think humor is important," she said. "We're looking for somebody who can do the interviews and also the hot topics at the beginning of the show."

The daytime show has survived cast changes in the past, most recently when Hasselbeck replaced Lisa Ling. The hosts are up for a Daytime Emmy award later this month, although they've been poking fun on the air at their penchant for getting nominated and never winning.

CNN's Soledad O'Brien, "Everybody Loves Raymond" actress Patricia Heaton and actress Mimi Rogers have already appeared in some reports about potential successors to Vieira. "I've seen rumor after rumor after rumor," Walters said.

• 3 weeks later...

NEW YORK(AP) Rosie O'Donnell is expected to make a surprise return to daytime television by taking over exiting Meredith Vieira's slot on the talk show "The View."

O'Donnell's appointment was reported Thursday by the newsmagazine "Extra." It was confirmed by a person close to the show who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because "The View" wanted to make the announcement on Friday's show.

ABC officials declined comment on the report on Thursday.

Dubbed "The Queen of Nice" when her syndicated talk show went on the air in 1996 and became an instant hit, O'Donnell won six Daytime Emmy Awards in six years as best talk-show host. She left the show to help raise four children with her partner, Kelli Carpenter O'Donnell.

It's an important appointment for "The View," which was created by Barbara Walters. Vieira's news background helped make her the solid center of the program on the days Walters didn't appear on air.

But Vieira joined the game of musical anchor chairs that began when Katie Couric chose to move to the "CBS Evening News." NBC quickly named Vieira as her replacement on the "Today" show, where she will begin work in September.

Joy Behar and Star Jones Reynolds, who have been bickering at each other lately, are also members of "The View" round-table, along with Elisabeth Hasselbeck. They're nominated together in the best talk-show host category at Friday's Daytime Emmy Awards.

"I think every agent in America is calling," Walters told The Associated Press shortly after Vieira's departure was announced on April 6.

O'Donnell has acted in a variety of movie, TV and stage shows, including the films "A League of Their Own" and "Sleepless in Seattle," and "Grease" on Broadway.

She should have no problem holding her own with the other ladies on "The View." Since leaving daytime television, O'Donnell has become a strong advocate of gay and lesbian marriage and adoption. With her partner, she operates a cruise line for gay and lesbian families that was recently featured in an HBO movie.

___

AP Television Writer Lynn Elber contributed to this report.

Rumors are flying that Starr will be leaving the View, with her contract up this summer and her hatred for Rosie joining the show this fall, all speculation has it shes a goner...THANK GOODNESS ~fingers crossed~

Guest StarBaby

I much preferred the fat Starr over the plastic looking skinny one. Either way, I wouldn't miss her.

• 4 weeks later...
it seems as though things arent going so well for Starzilla lately, rumors have it shes off the show soon, her and her hubby ( rumored to be gay) are having difficulties, and now her 2.5 million dollar NYC apt is up for grabs Starzilla Apt Listing HA!

• 4 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Friday Farewell for The View's Star?

Multiple media sources are reporting that Star Jones is expected to announce her exit from ABC's The View by the end of the week, thus depriving catfight-lovers the opportunity to see the former heavyweight duke it out with rival/incoming Viewer Rosie O'Donnell. "Star is on cloud nine now that she's leaving," a source tells the New York Daily News. "That's why she was so pleasant, even when Sandra Bernhard was trying to bait her for a confrontation on the show. She just doesn't care." [Checking].... Hey, neither do I.

Posted by Matt Mitovich 06/27/2006 10:43 AM

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

Star Falls from 'View'

Star_Jones-Reynolds.jpg

Star Jones Reynolds

What hath Katie Couric wrought? A round of morning television musical chairs the likes of which have never been seen. Less than three weeks after co-host Meredith Vieira signed off "The View," Star Jones Reynolds has announced plans to vacate her own seat after nine seasons on the chatfest. Reynolds made the announcement on Tuesday morning's show.

"I've spent an amazing nine years as a part of 'The View' family, and they have been the most professionally and personally rewarding years of my life," Reynolds said. "Through it all, I have appreciated the support of my family, my friends and most importantly the viewers, and I am grateful for all of the love that has been shown to me."

"'The View' is now moving in a new direction," Reynolds continued. "And I will not be returning this fall--but wherever I go, I will carry a lifetime of memories with me." Rumors of the daytime diva's departure first started circulating in April, when Rosie O'Donnell was named successor to Vieira, who will return to the airwaves this September as co-anchor of "Today."

dd_rosie173200x216.jpg

Rosie O'Donnell and Barbara Walters made

an official announcement about her joining

'The View' at the Emmy Awards

Barbara Walters' choice of O'Donnell to take over the moderator chair, a gig Reynolds was rumored to have been vying for, led gossip rags and reputable media alike to view the hiring as a passive-aggressive--or in some cases, just aggressive--attempt at edging Reynolds out of the show, a claim Walters denied. Sort of.

Shortly after announcing the addition of O'Donnell, Walters told the New York Times that she was unconcerned that O'Donnell, who has a well-known history of feuding with Reynolds, would be an unsettling presence for the former prosecutor.

"The only concern would be Star's," Walters said at the time. "Rosie will be there. And if Star wants to continue to be there, she is welcome. Star's part of 'The View' family and will be in 'The View' as long as she wants to."

view_HZ_425.jpg

The everchanging ladies of 'The View' are: (Top Row: L-R) Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Joy Behar;

(Bottom Row: L-R) Star Jones Reynolds, Barbara Walters and newly departed Meredith Vieira

Not according to Reynolds. The exiting personality tells People that the decision to leave was hardly her own. "What you don't know is that my contract was not renewed for the 10th season," she says in the magazine in its issue on newsstands Friday, June 30. "I feel like I was fired."

The departing co-host says that she found out her contract would not be renewed just days before O'Donnell's addition was announced. Reynolds' contract, along with those of fellow mouthpieces Joy Behar and Elisabeth Hasselbeck, was due to expire in September, the same time O'Donnell comes aboard.

The long-standing rumor that Walters has been looking for an opportunity to ditch Reynolds from the show first began during Reynolds' days of unabashed on-air shilling for sponsors of her 2004 wedding to Al Reynolds.

starjones_wed.jpg

Star Jones Reynolds and Al Reynold's lavish wedding

Reynolds' preemptive exit, however, is sure to disappoint fans of awkward tension and verbal smackdowns, both of which were expected to take place at a Reynolds-O'Donnell meeting, once the new season began in September.

O'Donnell, the onetime Queen of Nice who has become increasingly outspoken on matters of, well, everything since quitting her own talk show in 2002, has regularly taken issue with Reynolds' failure to disclose the details of her recent weight loss.

Reynolds, who dropped 150 pounds in seeming record time, has refused to discuss how she shed the weight so quickly, claiming she did not wish to endorse any one technique or program and instead encouraged dieters to seek out the method that was right for them. O'Donnell, however, called foul.

rosie_view.jpg

Rosie O'Donnell

Repeatedly. In a May 14 posting on her blog, O'Donnell blasted Reynolds for her alleged less-than-full disclosure. "Star jones had weight loss surgery/she had part of her stomach bypassed/that is how she lost 1/2 herself/she refuses to say this/which is her right/but we do not have to pretend/we do not know," O'Donnell wrote.

O'Donnell's blog continued, "so star shrinks b4 our eyes/we know the truth/but nod as she talks about/pilates and will power/i am sure star jones/beneath the beyonce bravado/is a scared lil girl/who grew her body big/strong and safe."

Even after landing the daytime gig, O'Donnell didn't shy away from voicing her, well, views. On April 5, the day before Vieira made her on-air announcement that she would be leaving, O'Donnell was interviewed on "Good Morning America." At the time, O'Donnell had already accepted the new job, though it had yet to be announced.

jones_reynolds.jpg

Star Jones Reynolds

When asked about Reynolds, O'Donnell called her, "An interesting woman on many levels. I do not wish her any ill will. I just think it's very hard for everyone to participate in, you know, the illusion that she presents as her truth."

Feuding aside, Reynolds' role on the show was an important one. A former prosecutor, a job she so frequently referenced it lead to a parody on "Saturday Night Live," Reynolds earned her keep by breaking down complicated legal current events in terms more understandable to "The View" audience.

It was a perfect fit for the TV star, who first gained prominence in 1995 as a lawyer-turned-pundit who made the media rounds during the O.J. Simpson trial. She has been with "The View" since its inception in 1997. She'll stay with the show through mid-July.

ap_100.jpg

Reynolds' Announcement Upsets Walters

by David Bauder, AP Television Writer

walters-barbara-lg.jpg

Barbara Walters

NEW YORK, New York -- The gloves are off for the women on "The View." Creator Barbara Walters said she was "betrayed" by Star Jones Reynolds' surprise on-air announcement of her exit from the daytime talk show on Tuesday, June 27. Reynolds said in a magazine interview she felt she was fired.

Either way, the "Help Wanted" sign is up again at the show, months after it was announced that Rosie O'Donnell was replacing Meredith Vieira in the fall. Reynolds' exit had been rumored for months, intensifying Tuesday after reports on "Access Hollywood" and in the New York tabloids that an announcement would be coming soon.

Still, Walters said she was taken by complete surprise when Reynolds announced her departure after the first commercial break on Tuesday. The announcement had been planned for Thursday, she said. "I love Star and I was trying to do everything I possibly could

people62x26.jpg

Star's 'View' Is Changing Fast

star_jones_thin.jpg

Star Jones Reynolds

After "The View" cohost Star Jones Reynolds announced on the air on Tuesday, June 27 that she would leave the show in July, her network had a response: "Leave now." According to a source close to Jones Reynolds, "ABC has asked her not to return to 'The View' tomorrow morning."

ABC could not be reached by press time, but a source close to the show confirmed that Star had been asked not to return. Jones Reynolds, who helped launch the chatfest and spent nine years at "The View" table alongside Barbara Walters, Joy Behar and the newly departed Meredith Vieira, says the split was anything but amicable.

"What you don't know is that my contract was not renewed for the tenth season," she tells People magazine. "I feel like I was fired." She adds that she got the news just days before reports surfaced that Rosie O'Donnell

ap_100.jpg

Star Jones Reynolds Erased From 'View'

star_pinky.jpg

Star Jones Reynolds

NEW YORK, New York -- Star Jones Reynolds was booted from "The View" on Wednesday, June 28, one day after surprising ABC and Barbara Walters by saying on the air that she wouldn't be returning to the daytime talk show in the fall.

"It is becoming uncomfortable for us to pretend that everything is the same at this table," show creator Walters. "Therefore, regrettably, Star will no longer be on this program." Reynolds was quickly erased from the show's opening credits, now down to three women from the usual five.

ABC had decided against renewing Reynolds' contract months ago and the show was planning to let Reynolds announce it later this week, according to Walters. Reynolds could say whatever she wanted to about why she was leaving, "and we would back her up," the longtime ABC newswoman said.

View_awards375-1.jpg

In a past moment of solidarity, the ladies of 'The View' attend the Emmy Awards

together: (L-R) Meredith Vieira, Star Jones Reynolds, Barbara Walters, Joy Behar

and Elisabeth Hasselbeck

Instead, Walters said she felt blindsided when Reynolds broke the news on Tuesday's program, then was quoted in People magazine as saying she felt like she was fired. "We gave her time to look for another job and hoped that she would announce it on this program and leave with dignity," Walters said.

Walters continued with her on-air statement before cutting to a commercial, "But Star made another choice." Reynolds' spokesman did not return calls and e-mails seeking comment regarding her hasty exit of the popular daytime chatfest.

Walters didn't discuss on the air why Reynolds, an original cast member who's been on the show for nine years, wasn't being asked back. She said in an interview Tuesday that research showed audience members were turned off by Reynolds' dramatic weight loss and glitzy wedding to banker Al Reynolds in 2004.

Reynolds later retorted that TV ratings and her book sales indicated this wasn't true. "The View" is bringing on Rosie O'Donnell to replace Meredith Vieira in September, and the hunt is now on for Reynolds' replacement. Walters said Reynolds may still appear on the show in recorded segments.

yay, im glad she's gone....even though i've never watched the view, i've hated hearing about her......i hope Brittnay Spears does something soon so that Star will quit being on the 'news' shows for this.....gakkk

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, SOAP NEWS

Susan Lucci Replaces Star Jones on The View

Coming on the high heels of Meredith Vieira's recent exit, this week's sudden departure of Star Jones Reynolds from The View has left Barbara Walters' hen party short a few chicks!

In two View episodes airing next week, ABC Daytime temporarily fills empty chairs with the glamorous derrieres of its very own soap stars.

On Monday, July 3, the lovely Renee Elise Goldsberry (Evangeline Williamson, One Life to Live) will be the celebrity guest co-host du jour. Among that day's guests is Superman Returns star Brandon Routh, who played Seth Anderson on OLTL from 2001 to 2002.

Ya think they'll bring up the fact that OLTL fired Routh and recast his role with the not-quite-as-cute Steve Richard Harris?

How about the fact that Routh was so unhappy at the time that

AH_logo_100x30.jpg

Star Jones' New Gig?

star_jones3.jpgbrandy2.jpg

Star Jones Reynolds . . . Out!. . . . . . . . .In? . . . Brandy

NEW YORK, New York -- As the Star Jones saga continues, "Access Hollywood" uncovers who wants her job and what job Star already has lined up. "Hi. I'm Star Jones. Join me for the views, the reviews and the real estate news in the Big Apple," she said during her guest spot on HGTV's "House Hunters."

And no, Star isn't taking a playful jab at her former 'View' employers. She's just doing her job as the special weeklong guest host for HGTV's popular show. "Access Hollywood" was exclusively on the set as Star shot her segments for the show.

Although it was weeks before the official ousting from "The View" happened, Star admitted to us she was on her own house hunt to sell her three-bedroom triplex apartment. "I don't think people outside of New York realize that we still have neighborhoods here, that's one thing I love the most," she told "Access Hollywood."

barbara_star_252x200.jpg

War of Words: Barbara Walters vs Star Jones Reynolds

And while some insiders thought Star's own personal house hunting was a clear sign she was leaving the show, it turns out she just needed more space. "We are starting to look for a new apartment. Something that's a little bit bigger and more conducive to a married couple," Star explained.

"My apartment initially was very much a single girl's lair with a dressing room and a closet that's the size of most boutiques," Star continued. "But now we are looking for more space

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

'The View' Gets A Dose Of Reality

by Gina Serpe

shannen_200x240.jpg

'Breaking Up's' Shannen Doherty

In the wake of Star Jones Reynold's abrupt decampment from "The View" last week, the powers-that-be at the ABC chatfest are looking to steer clear of cohost drama. Accordingly, they've gone and hired Shannen Doherty. Yes, THAT Shannen Doherty.

The Barbara Walters-led talk show has unveiled a slate of upcoming guest hosts to temporarily fill the vacated fourth seat, with Doherty, Katharine McPhee, "Dancing with the Stars" judge Carrie Ann Inaba and 'Dancing' champ Kelly Monaco tag-teaming.

At first blush, Doherty, 35, seems the most unexpected option to sub in on "The View," considering a history of diva-like behavior that led to her exits from "Beverly Hills, 90210" and "Charmed," among other offscreen troubles. Then again, Doherty's antics could be considered small beans when compared to a certain ex-lawyer and former talk show host.

renee_goldsberry_200x240.jpg

'One Life to Live's' Renee Goldsberry

Reynolds, who has been offering up the sordid details of her departure on the talk-show circuit since leaving on June 28, wasn't supposed to leave "The View" right away. But her quick departure has forced producers to scramble for viable replacements.

The day after Walters' on-air confirmation that Reynolds would not be returning to the chatfest, "One Life to Live's" Renee Goldsberry sat with the remaining three yappers. While Goldsberry had previously acted as a guest cohost, her position as first out of the gate in the new wave of contenders was particularly noteworthy for her almost eerie resemblance to Reynolds.

Goldsberry also plays a lawyer on the soap, making it appear that Walters & Co. were seeking a very specific type to fill the Star gap.

carrieann_inaba.jpg

'Dancing' Judge Carrie Ann Inaba

"America's Got Talent" judge Brandy then logged time at the table last week and again on Friday's show, even receiving on-air kudos from Walters for a job well done. Meanwhile, "All My Children's" Susan Lucci joined the hijinks on Wednesday.

When it comes to Inaba and Monaco, it would seem the folks at "The View" clearly have a penchant for dancing . . . or maybe just ABC synergy.

Inaba, a choreographer who has appeared as a judge on the Alphabet net's reality competition for each of its two seasons, will fill in on Monday. Monaco was the winner of 'Dancing's' first season and is a regular on another ABC soap, "General Hospital." The 30-year-old actress, who has appeared on "The View" several times, takes the seat next Tuesday.

mcphee_240x200.jpg

'Idol' runner-up Katharine McPhee

"American Idol" runner-up McPhee, meanwhile, is also scheduled to squeeze in some small-screen time in between dates for the "American Idol" summer tour, joining Walters, Joy Behar and fellow reality TV vet Elisabeth Hasselbeck for some small talk on July 19.

The 22-year-old songbird, unlike some of the other revolving-door candidates, is likely not using her guest stint as an audition for the permanent gig, instead making it another promotional pit stop. Of course, all is dependent on her laryngitis clearing up.

Doherty, whose new reality show, "Breaking Up with Shannen Doherty," premieres on the Oxygen network next month, is penciled in on "The View" for July 31 and August 1.

Kelly_Monaco.jpg

'Dancing' Champ Kelly Monaco

There appears to be a method to "The View" brain trust's mining of soap operas and reality TV for cohosts. See: Kelly Ripa, who graduated from "All My Children" to Regis sidekick; and "The View's" own Hasselbeck, a former "Survivor" castaway.

In any case, "The View" is running out of time if it wants a permanent Star sub. The show will go on hiatus August 4 and returns on September 5, with another new face as Rosie O'Donnell's takes over for the "Today" show-bound Meredith Vieira.

As for Reynolds, she's not wasting any time getting back to work. She's set to guest host HGTV's "House Hunters" all next week.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Star-less View Enjoys Ratings High

ABC's The View really has something to talk about: milestone ratings. Last week

This would be interesting if it DID turn out to be true. I used to catch Bo Griffin's entertainment reports on "Good Day Live" out of Los Angeles and she's a hoot! I was also one of the limited viewers of "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus," because of my mad (and sick) crush on Dr. Drew Pinsky, who was one of the other hosts on the now defunct chatfest.

I really enjoy Bo but not sure of the fit if variety is what "The View" producers are trying to achieve. Bo is a little too much like a cross between Rosie and Star to bring a different mix to "The View" table. She's a HUGE celebrity fan who doesn't hide her love of celebrity much like Rosie did on her own show. She has been known to be "star struck" and openly gush during her celebrity interviews.

I've been reading the blogs and a lot of them have been saying the show needs to bring in a professional (ie. lawyer, doctor, businesswoman, newswoman) to balance out the current panel of women gabbers. Anyway, I found the source article for the rumor. It's from Janet Charleton's Hollywood column printed on July 9, 2006. You can read the entire article below. Enjoy!

janet-chareton-banner.jpg

Watch Out Star - Here She Comes!

bo_griffin180x240.jpg

Bo Griffin

A Network leak has informed us that Star Jones' replacement on "The View" has been chosen. In fact, our source insists it was a done deal several months ago. Nobody's admitting anything yet, but we hear that Bo Griffin, who has been described as the "Oprah of Radio," is primed to step into Star's Payless Shoes.

So who IS this woman, you might ask. Bo was a big Miami radio personality for years before she came to Hollywood to do TV shows including "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus," which she hosted. For three years, she was a roving reporter on Fox's "Good Day Live" and then she left Los Angeles and took over "The Morning Show" on 98.9 FM in Greenville, South Carolina.

Her popular radio show featured many of Oprah's themes - relationships, self improvement etc. If our snitch is right and she relocates to New York, we wonder if Bo will have to close the Goddess dress shop she opened in Greenville . Coincidentally or not, she bears more than a passing physical resemblence to Star, but is said to be "much nicer."

Archived