American Inventor

ElleNaturelle

Waving Hi to Elle... How ya been Girly? I really like this show so far... I like the ideas mostly... I did think that all the other judges coming down on that one was a little funny on this past episode, but mostly I like seeing the ideas...

I'm glad you made this thread Elle, thanks.

I've been watching it but, mainly because there's nothing on up against it.

Some of the ideas are really good but, I get bored with watching the first round stuff. Hopefully, it gets better soon.

Hey there Yana!!!

I agree Ceci, the only reason I've been watching it, is because nothing else has been on. Yes, good ideas...for the most part. I was so mad when they almost didn't let that wig lady through. I think the judges can be better, but what can you do?

I've been disappointed with the judges. Similar to the American Idol judges, they seem to pass some people for the wrong reasons. I liked when last week one of the judges said this is not "American Sob Story". There's definitely too much emotion involved in the decision process. I wish they would decide based solely on the product and its marketability.

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

American Inventor In Washington, DC, San Francisco, & Los Angeles

The nationwide search for America's next big invention continues with open casting calls in our nations' capital, Washington DC, and in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Thousands of inventors, tinkerers and entrepreneurs of all ages applied. Viewers will see inventions ranging from the hilarious to the tragic, and inventors from the passionate to the downright crazy.

Some highlights include a man who was inspired by his son -- who suffers from hemophilia -- to invent protective gear so that he can safely play baseball; a couple from San Francisco who invented "therapy in a bubble"; plus the judges meet a single dad so committed to his invention that he donated a kidney for karma.

"American Inventor," the embodiment of the ultimate American dream from Simon Cowell and the producers of "American Idol," airs THURSDAY, APRIL 6 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

If the female judge (I can never remember their names) says "You have true passion" one more time I am going to scream.

They have let in some of the dumbest ideas (i.e. Evan & Jared's pit receptical...WTF) and passed on some that I thought could work or that I would buy.

I'm curious to see what the "Next Round" is about. I can't think of what they would have to do accept allow the viewing udience to vote on the best idea. I can't say this is going to be really exciting, but I'll probably watch.

Did anyone see the kid with the bike where you can have one person sit & peddle on the front. That was AWESOME and you could easily make it into an attachment. I hope he wins.

Yeah I saw the kid with the bike...i think that was the first eppy...the only one I watched....He was kind of cute too....

That bike idea was a great idea...and if anything I hope he makes something out of that...kids would love to have something like that....

I really enjoyed tonight's show. They narrowed it down to 12 inventors/inventions. It was kind of sad seeing some of them told they were going home. :( Those who made it through, received $50,000 to improve their invention. It'll be interesting to see the results. I really like the car-seat invention. :)

I liked alot of the inventions.. wish some wouldn't have gone through though.

Think the only reason some got through.. like the bald lady with the sweatpad wig thing was b/c they had sob stories.

B/c seriously.. I don't think her invention was all that impressive.

Also don't see how some of them are going to even spend 50k. Like hers... and that woman with the public bathroom door closer thing. That one was a pretty good idea, but all it was was plastic really.

Anyways... tonight's episode was WAY too freakin sappy for me. I mean good lord.. they freakin had that you raise me up song by Josh Groban going for a good 10minutes.

Yeah we get it already... people are getting cut.... boohoo... boohoo.... <_<

I liked alot of the inventions.. wish some wouldn't have gone through though.

Think the only reason some got through.. like the bald lady with the sweatpad wig thing was b/c they had sob stories.

B/c seriously.. I don't think her invention was all that impressive.

Also don't see how some of them are going to even spend 50k. Like hers... and that woman with the public bathroom door closer thing. That one was a pretty good idea, but all it was was plastic really.

Anyways... tonight's episode was WAY too freakin sappy for me. I mean good lord.. they freakin had that you raise me up song by Josh Groban going for a good 10minutes.

Yeah we get it already... people are getting cut.... boohoo... boohoo.... <_<

So funny, Pallaton! It was interesting because EVERY TIME someone came in to give their presentation they would start crying...and I just started laughing! I felt bad at first but I just couldn't stop...It was just all so comical ;) I found myself rooting for anyone would didn't cry, even if I hated their invention!

Actually, I didn't laugh when the man was talking about his child being killed in a car accident- I'm not that heartless...

If necessity truly is the mother of invention, Francisco Patino would have invented something to clear up his skin.

The lady with the edible snowglobe kits got robbed. Too bad she wasn't ethnic enough or had something really tragic happen in her life.

This show is a joke.

If necessity truly is the mother of invention, Francisco Patino would have invented something to clear up his skin.

The lady with the edible snowglobe kits got robbed. Too bad she wasn't ethnic enough or had something really tragic happen in her life.

This show is a joke.

ohhhh....SNAP! :lol:

This show is a joke.

Yeah she did get robbed b/c that was such a cute idea.

I know 3 people at least who wouldn't have hesitated to buy something like that.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

American Inventor

by Darren Sirkin

April 13, 2006: World's Longest Two Hours

And the next round is... the same inventions. Great. We've seen the same crappy ideas time and time again, and now it looks like we're gonna have to vote on them. Should the show get a "no"? Am I just upset that they made me sit through that 20-minute recap at the beginning? Maybe two hours was too long. We saw a few new things, but overall, it was a bit painful. These inventions really don't seem that great. As the hours wore on, I became sad, and not because this show really is "American Sob Story," but because I realized how hard it is to invent something. Hold on, I invented some sort of a bar once, and maybe this means it will be raised if the show gets another run.

So maybe we should vote on other factors as well. It goes against all I stand for, but this is America, and people will continue to come out of the woodwork and baffle us to tears, sometimes of the joy variety. I really like some of these people. The producers themselves... dod bless every trick in the book that they used, I hope they know that this could really be the start of something. I mean, what if light speed gets invented on TV? What if I just invented the purest form of nerdiness?

Seriously, what if we can accept the entertainment factor as just that while embracing what the show is really about? It ain't singing, everyone, and I'm about to embrace it all the way to the bank. Or just until somebody wins this year. That means 12 real inventions. With money and stuff. I can't wait, and the money doesn't always have to be used for design. How about marketing? Manufacturing? Presentation? Bribery?

Well, to celebrate the end of the "audition" phase, I have to quote the meanest, saddest, truest, funniest thing I've ever heard. I feel bad, but the line of the series is by a judge, and it goes like this: "[if] I needed a cuddly toy to tell me that everything was all right, I can assure you, I'd know that it wasn't."

American Inventor

by Darren Sirkin

April 20, 2006: No More Tears

Oh, swell, another two hours of America's future. The greatest minds, the unparalleled dedication, the will, the drive... and the stupidest things we've ever seen, over and over again.

I'd love to ignore the first hour of failures and embarrassments, and if they pull that crap again next week, I will skip the first hour. I'll still write about it, but by now I can watch it blindfolded. Like I said, they learned much from that other American show, the one for singers, and the way it glorifies the worst. But I think we all agree that this show's exploitation of its losers was never funny, and they just won't stop. Well, I'm boycotting any further audition episodes.

Sorry, even my word processor underlined that whole paragraph and told me to stifle. Tonight's second hour was well worth the wait. I remember back when I had no clue what the next rounds would entail, and by "back when" I mean before 8:55 this evening. So I guess that's cool, but did they keep us in the dark on purpose, or are they inventing this show as they go along? I take notes, and I wasn't aware that each judge would pick three inventors and personally kick out two of them. It was a nice surprise, but the first hour could have been better spent explaining this and showing the judges fight over which three they get. Also, this drastic cut of the contestants from 12 to four seems a bit rushed. And when do we get to vote? Maybe it's not that kind of show, but if it ain't, there may be no next season. That would be some shame, everybody, because I bet this show inspired many to develop their ideas, take a chance, have some hope, and not sell their house, car and family.

Anyway, Ed Evangelista made a good choice, and he may have had the hardest group, because the Sackmaster was top-notch and will eventually save lives. Too bad for Mark Martinez, but his invention will be mass-produced, and I'll buy one. As for the Receiver's Training Pole, or the newer version that looks like a storm-trooper accessory, I'll teach my nephew how to catch without any fancy devices. But man did Erik Thompson earn that trip to the next round.

Posted by Darren Sirkin 04/21/2006 2:23 AM

American Inventor

by Darren Sirkin

April 27, 2006: I Invented a Way to Lose an Hour

Who invented the rerun show? I'm going to turn around, and whomever wishes to say "passion," "blood, sweat and tears," "my dream," or "wand," should do so. But I banish these phrases, starting now. Also, no crying. That "most outrageous auditions" recap hour made me feel like smashing things. Oh, I hope this show gets to the point where the judges just start breaking stuff, right in front of people. I mean, it really is that harsh. Not literally, but hard to watch and to accept as contemporary entertainment. Do they really think we want to watch people cry, and lose, and lose and cry? We want to see cool ideas, and if something's not cool, it should be thrown to the ground in a fit of rage. Really, I wouldn't put it past this show. Someone could invent poison, and there'd be a dramatic montage about which judge they want to kill. And then they'd show it every week. Sometimes edited differently. Sometimes with strange interviews filmed on Betamax. And don't get me started on the unusual sound editing. Actually, later, ask me about the unusual sound editing.

Now let's see if I can stretch out this paragraph like the second hour of the show tonight. Nope. The right decision was made. Crazy judge lady did have me for a second, though. She tried to be glib, and then I thought she was gonna play the gender card. Either way, I'm pretty sure that each contestant agreed to hold cue cards for her when we weren't looking. But there is still hope. Francisco won this round the old-fashioned way: He earned it. After all, he's the only one I believed when he said, "I am the next American Inventor."

Anyway, anybody got a name for an extreme version where people really do invent poison, and then the judges have to invent the antidote? Or die? Discuss. Or there's a poll on the right, I think.

Posted by Darren Sirkin 04/28/2006 2:53 AM

• 2 weeks later...

American Inventor

by Darren Sirkin

May 11, 2006: "Finale"

Man, was I on the edge of my seat tonight! But apparently I should have consulted a simple dictionary before watching. That way, instead of waiting to find out when and how I could vote and see the winner, I would have known in advance that "finale" means "one more week." Wait. There's still plenty to be happy for. First, I'll save 50 cents by not voting, since they never told me whether to vote for the inventor or the invention. Second, they were very sparing with the audition footage. Then the lady judge looked fat when she went to visit "the kid with the bike's" family. Yeah, I gotta be snarky, and I really don't feel right preaching anything since I won't be voting. So, just for fun... maybe Erik Thompson could catch if he wasn't missing a finger. Zing! The "bike kid" should have invented some zit cream. Zing! Ed Hall said "passion" and cried! Double zing! I can't even pronounce that Polish guy's name, let alone spell it! Zing on me!

OK, the best commercial was probably for the Word Ace, which gained my backing once I finally found out how it worked. The best name is a tie between Anecia and The Catch. The worst name, and worst commercial, was for the D Tract 2x2. I don't know, that name seems to "detract" from the product. The best "inventor" is Francisco Pattino. The best "invention" is... hard to pick. America, if you have a week, and 50 cents, vote for something. And remember not to forget to watch next week. And on the West Coast, you only have about an hour left.

Some kinks to work out, but I sure hope to see some new baby seats and fewer illiterate kids around. I think this show should stick around, figure out how to present itself a bit better, and keep on inspiring.

Posted by Darren Sirkin 05/12/2006 2:19 AM

• 10 months later...

American Inventor Conducting Casting Calls For Season Two

Producers of "American Inventor" are coming to a major city near you as they get ready to kick off the second season of the popular ABC program. A nationwide search to discover the ultimate in homespun ingenuity will make one struggling inventor's dream come true with a grand prize of one million dollars. Last year's champion, Janusz Liberkowski, a Polish immigrant inventor from Los Gatos, California, is currently working with a major car seat manufacturer to try to bring his infant car seat invention -- the Anecia Survival Capsule -- to market. "American Inventor" will have its season premiere WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

The biggest search for America's best new invention will take place in various cities across the country, at locations that speak to the spirit of ingenuity and innovation. Initial audition cities include Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Orlando and Houston. Each week during the first six episodes, one winner will be chosen by a panel of judges and given $ 50,000 seed money to further develop and refine his/her product for the semifinal round. Auditions are open to both individuals and teams, and contestants need only enter with a sketch, a prototype or even a simple concept. Most importantly, the invention must be something that can be mass produced and sold to consumers in a retail outlet. In the end, it will be up to the American public to call in and place their votes for the invention they feel is worthy of the coveted grand prize. Casting calls will be held in the following six cities:

Los Angeles

March 18, 2007

Los Angeles Convention Center

8:00 a.m.

San Francisco

March 25, 2007

Regency Center

Time TBD

Chicago

March 31, 2007

Navy Pier

Time TBD

New York City

April 4, 2007

Broad Street Ballroom

Time TBD

Orlando

April 9, 2007

Contemporary Resort

Time TBD

Houston

April 13, 2007

Location TBD

Time TBD

For more information, such as applications, eligibility requirements, dates and addresses for the nationwide casting calls, please go to www.AmericanInventor.tv or call (888) 703-7728. PLEASE NOTE: This competition is subject to applicable rules, which are subject to modification at any time in the producer's discretion.

"American Inventor" celebrates the spirit of creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship. Auditions are open to anyone of any age with a great idea, but all person(s) under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. No invention is too big or too small. So if you believe you have the next great product, grab your invention and join us at one of our auditions.

Posted by Joe Reality on March 15, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

American Inventor host, judges fired; George Foreman will judge second season

Following an often dull and drama-less first season, one that lost viewers as it progressed, American Inventor 2 will look significantly different.

First, all of the show

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of: ABC, AMERICAN INVENTOR

JUDGES AND HOST ANNOUNCED FOR EXCITING SECOND SEASON OF ABCS AMERICAN INVENTOR

Series Season Premiere Set for Wednesday, June 6

From the Producers of American Idol -- FremantleMedia North America, Simon Cowell and British Tycoon Peter Jones

Businessman/former heavyweight champion/ordained minister George Foreman, British tycoon Peter Jones, entrepreneur Pat Croce and Spanx creator Sara Blakely join new host Nick Smith for the exciting, innovative second season of American Inventor, which has its season premiere WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

The biggest search for America's best new invention is currently taking place in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Orlando and Houston. Inventors, tinkerers and entrepreneurs of all ages are presenting their most prized creations and innovations to American Inventor celebrity judges. Each week during the first six episodes, one winner from each city will be given $50,000 seed money to further develop and refine their product for the semifinal round. In the end, it will be up to the American viewing audience to call in and vote for the one invention they feel is worthy of the $1 million dollar grand prize and the chance to mass produce their product.

For more information, such as applications, eligibility requirements, dates and addresses for the nationwide casting calls, please go to www.AmericanInventor.tv or call (888) 703-7728. PLEASE NOTE: This competition is subject to applicable rules, which are subject to modification at any time in the producers discretion.

American Inventor is produced by FremantleMedia North America, Simon Cowells Syco Television and Peter Jones TV Ltd. Simon Cowell, Cecile Frot-Coutaz, Siobhan Greene, Peter Jones and Clay Newbill are executive producers. Dug James and Tabitha Hansen are co-executive producers.

• 2 weeks later...

American Inventor Gives Vindication To My Therapy Buddy

therapy_buddy.jpg

American Inventor kicked off its second season with auditions in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Peter Jones was the only judge remaining from the first season, and he was joined by George Foreman, Sara Blakely, and Pat Croce. Just like on the first American Inventor, the judges sat through viewing many unusual inventions to find only a select few with potential.

Jamshid Hatami was the inventor of head gear, which was basically a strap that went on the back of a cap to hold the head up. Peter Jones said

Archived