Big Love

mikede

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! If it wasn't for this thread I would never had known there was one left. I think it comes on after the sopranos and just never noticed. I have watched sopranos then change the channel....so I too thought I would see the whole series on demand.

Still haven't watched #11 yet, but #10 was alot more interesting than the previous ones.

Ugghhh...that Nikki gets under my skin. Can anyone tell me do they think she is protecting Barb by not agreeing that seeing Barb's family is a good thing, or is there an underlying motive?

Also, opinions please----I know that polygamy is against the law in Utah, but do you think the family is ashamed of the situation-hence the need to keep it secret?

Any people from Utah --- is polygamy a common thing and is it only amongst Mormons? (sorry don't know too much about this subject) :)

well ginger, i am not from there never been there but i have seen a lot of shows on it. yes its big there, and yes its against the law, but for some reason.... i guess its just to big for them to get them. Plus, only the first wife is legal wed to the hubby... the other wives just kinda get the "i do" without the ink signed papers. thats why they usually live in comunities of their own. and not on a street like bill and his wives do. .... they dont want to get caught out.

That's what I figured.

The episode when Nikki told Bill she owed $60,000 was odd...here they take great pains to hide their secrets and then she runs out to the middle of the street with a negligee on to chase down Bill. Talk about letting the cat out of the bag.

I am glad Margene is first to get pregnant instead of Nikki. The only way to fix Nikki is to add another wife!

Hey Fizzle would you know if it is a seniority thing with the "added on" wives? Does wife number 4 have more status then lets say wife number 7?

Ginger... yes and no. They are meant to all be equal. But, the first wife is actually married to the husband and the other are not... however, if anything should happen to wife no. 1 then wife no. 2 gets to get legally married... and so forth.

Ginger said..."Can anyone tell me do they think she is protecting Barb by not agreeing that seeing Barb's family is a good thing, or is there an underlying motive?

Also, opinions please----I know that polygamy is against the law in Utah, but do you think the family is ashamed of the situation-hence the need to keep it secret?"

I think Nikki is very old school when it comes to this lifestyle and she was being protective of Barb because it served her to protect her "family"... does that make sense?

Polygamy is against the law but, the husband dosen't actually marry all of the wives so that's how they get away with it. They're not ashamed of their lifestyle but, they are cautious because the "moray" of society doesn't accept what they are doing and so they don't put their families at risk for being torn apart, ridiculed, etc.

What we are seeing on Big Love is a family trying to practice their belief system even though they are an outcast of both the LDS church and the extreme Mormon's that we see that live on the "compound". The compound ousts all boys around 16 or so and then the young girls are forced to marry the only men left which are the old farts. This compound is deeply imbedded in Utah's politcal arena and so they haven't been "touched" until recently ... you may have seen news of their prophet is on the "most wanted list".

Hope that clears up a few things for ya.

Great thanks for the info...it clears up alot. I am going to check out this "most wanted list" on the net.

I asked about Nikki because though I believe she is "old school" like you said, she always has an underlying motive for her actions - sneaky.

You know, like I said I'm hooked, but I tend to fall asleep on many episodes and sometimes don't bother to go back and watch - so alot that I watch on tv is unclear to me. But, I find this whole subject fascinating and I think that is what keeps me watching.

Again, thanks for explaining things to me :)

all i know is everytime they have a special on it on dateline or 20/20 the Husband is always fugly old men. :lol::lol::lol:

the really sick part of it is they make young teen girls marry these old fugly men. for that they should be hanged by their toes and have their body hair waxed off harshly. (the men of course)

Yes, while looking for info, I did notice that those old geezers must have been the teenagers that the hot men kicked sand on at the beach. I guess they think that they got the last laugh (bar the young girls - the sister wives are as fugly as their "husbands") by having these women cater to their every whim. I personally think that they are just to laugh at. Well, we can't place all the blame on the men because they always manage to find some not too bright woman to "marry" them. Ugghhhhh!!!

Finale tonight.

Hmmm....I hope Nikki's garbage disposal breaks, her bathroom sink clogs, today's special value on QVC is sold out, godiva chocolates won't ship to utah and last but not least she breaks a finger nail. I just hope that Nikki gets her just desserts on tonights show and I get a good memory to carry over to next season!!!!!! :)

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Big Love

June 4, 2006: The Ceremony

OK, so let's call it a season, shall we? And let's deliver the verdict (well, I'll deliver mine, anyway), but I don't think you're going to like it much. First, however, the abbreviated recap.

Bill tells Lois he's got a seat on the board for Joey, and Lois immediately begins to pray. And I'm thinking, thanks for the vote of confidence, Mom; little do I realize she's not so wrong in asking for the extra help.

Roman asks Alby what they've done to deserve such calumny from Bill (say, somebody's up-to-date with his word-of-the-day calendar, huh?) and Alby doesn't even have to ask him what that means. He just goes off to find other ways to contain Bill, like his dad asks. So he heads to Wanda and Joey's house and threatens the baby when Wanda won't tell him where Joey is. I've always sensed something about that Wanda, but she surprises even me when she mixes Alby an antifreeze cocktail. (Don't mess with Mama Bear's cub, pal.)

Meanwhile, at Bill's, Barb asks Rhonda if she wants to stay with them and Rhonda shows a surprisingly warm side, giving her a big hug and calling her the best mother of the year, maybe the best mother ever. Perhaps, but not necessarily if she goes ahead with accepting the actual award, which can't be a good idea, given their unique situation.

Cut back to Joey, who comes home to find Alby poisoned and calls Lois, who reacts very calmly. (Seems the ladies are the tough ones in this family.) Joey goes into the board meeting with Bill and they confront Roman, who tells them the meeting's out of order because they didn't follow procedure. That's nothing, of course, compared to Joey telling Bill that Wanda poisoned Alby and Frank, whereupon Lois calmly says: "Isn't this a dilly? I told you it wasn't me." I love that woman. And I love the tag they attach to Alby

I couldn't believe it was Wanda!

What an episode. Shorter than usual ( by 10 min actually ), but still action packed. I wonder what's going to happen now that they've been found out. Bill should bring down Roman for that! They can't kill off Alby (sp?) though, we need to know why he freaked out that time like he did in the motel...he's got a lot of layers that I'd like to see revealed. Can't wait!

YES! and the straight face asking alby if he wanted to have a drink. PRICELESS! i could use wanda for a few family gatherings.......

i could use her here at work.... she could spice up the coffee for the gold boot hobag!

Archived