'Dog the Bounty Hunter'

TV_Paige

ap_100.jpg

'Year of the Dog' Returns with Nuptials

chapman_bethsmith.jpg

Duane 'Dog' Chapman and Beth Smith

It's the Year of the Dog for three years running. Duane 'Dog' Chapman and his tattooed crew return Tuesday, March 21 for the third-season premiere of the hit reality show, "Dog the Bounty Hunter" which airs on A&E at 9 p.m. EST. Season three will feature everything from celebrity ride-alongs to Chapman finally getting married to his longtime sidekick and business partner, Beth Smith.

The guest list for the May 20 wedding is as intriguing as Chapman's blond mullet. Guests include Hulk Hogan, Danny Bonaduce and Wynonna Judd. "I'm marrying my common-law wife, Beth, the Christian way, with a preacher and all that," Chapman said.

Chapman and Smith have two children together and have been together for 16 years. Chapman said he proposed last year in Vegas after a few drinks. And he doesn't drink. "He was a hard catch," said Smith. "That's why I say he's my biggest and best catch."

dog_company.jpg

At a recent press conference, (L-R) Duane 'Dog' Chapman, half

brother Tim and son Leland

In jeans, silver-tipped cowboy boots and a leather jacket on a steamy 75-degree night in Waikiki, Chapman reflected on the surprising success of the show and his journey to becoming the self-proclaimed world's best bounty hunter.

The Marlboro-puffing Chapman has become Hawaii's most famous fugitive finder on TV since Magnum and Steve McGarrett. Tour buses now stop at his bail-bond shop in Honolulu. The series is A&E's highest-rated ever.

But fame does have its drawbacks. Chapman can no longer lounge at the beach, or go shopping without being asked for photos and autographs. The 53-year-old Chapman, however, said attention is nothing new for him. "Not to sound like I'm bragging, but I was like a legend in my own mind anyway," he said.

dtbhunterbest1_1.jpg

Duane 'Dog' Chapman

It just takes a few seconds with Chapman to figure out his best weapon is neither his biceps nor the pepper spray canisters the size of fire extinguishers he totes around. It's his surprising sincerity, uncanny intuition and his mouth. Chapman speaks with the compassion of a preacher, the bravado of a pro wrestler and persuasiveness of a snake-oil salesman.

"I think a lot of people judge him on how he dresses, by the way he looks," said Smith, a big-haired platinum blond, wearing a low-cut black tank top. "People who had a poor opinion of him before they meet him completely have a 100-percent turnaround when he shows his heart and how loving he is."

Chapman, whose tan, weathered face looks like it's seen its share of bar fights, agreed. "I've always had that look. I'm the guy, your first impression is, 'Uh oh, call the police,'" he said. Chapman grew up in Denver, the oldest of four sons. His father, a Navy welder, was physically abusive, he said. His mother was a minister.

bountyhunter.jpg

Duane 'Dog' Chapman and crew on the job

"My father is the reason I am the way I am today," Chapman said. "He's why I acted up and he's why I prayed to be the opposite of him. We made up before he died but I vowed to never raise my kids like how he raised me."

By 15, Chapman had joined a biker gang and was entering a world of crime. After a string of robbery arrests, Chapman was convicted of being an accessory to murder and sentenced to five years in prison. Chapman said he had no part in the killing, saying he was outside when a fellow gang member went into a house to buy marijuana.

"He got into it with a guy. Boom! We heard a shot. When he came out, his hand was bloody and I thought he had been shot," Chapman said. It turned out, the dealer was shot. In prison, he promised to turn his life around, and honed his understanding of the criminal mind. "I was in there with killers, the worst in the world, brother. This was 70s, Texas," Chapman said.

bountyhunter_215.gif

'Dog the Bounty Hunter'

Dog got his nickname from the gang. "I was very loyal. I'm man's best friend. I always showed up for the fight. I took care of my brothers," he said. "I'm Native American so it's in my blood to always want brothers and friends. I'm a good brotherhood guy." And, added the devout Christian and father of a dozen children, "Dog is God spelled backward."

Chapman claims more than 6,000 captures without firing a single bullet. But the one that made him the baddest bounty hunter in the galaxy (next to Boba Fett) was the 2003 apprehension in Mexico of serial rapist and Max Factor heir Andrew Luster.

"The title was on the line. Every bounty hunter was saying, 'We're going to catch him. We're the best,'" Chapman said. But it wasn't just bragging rights that prompted Chapman to pursue Luster. He felt "obligated," he said, after meeting two of the women that Luster drugged and raped. "They said, 'You're our only hope, Dog. Please,'" Chapman said.

dog_beth.jpg

Duane 'Dog' Chapman and Beth Smith

Chapman never received any bounty for the capture of Luster, who is three years into a 124-year sentence. "We weren't by that judge, but were we paid? Oh, yeah. Over and over again, brother," he said. Chapman's contract for the third season was worth a reported $2.6 million.

Smith said that with the busy filming schedule they haven't had the time to enjoy money. "We don't even realize it's there. We just know every month on the first, we don't have to go, 'Oh my God, how are we going to make the rent?'" Smith said.

Chapman, who, despite his larger than life persona stands only 5-foot-7 or 5-10 in cowboy boots and with his hair sprayed up called bounty hunting his "destiny." What would he be doing if he wasn't a bounty hunter? "Robbing banks," he whispered.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Dog fan too! Been watching it since it came on. But...I did not know that he and Beth were not married!

That one shocked me! ^_^

I can't wait to see what the new season brings. The last one that I saw had one of Dogs daughters working for them. If he keeps on, all 12 of his kids will be out chasing criminals!! lol

I'm a Dog fan too! Been watching it since it came on. But...I did not know that he and Beth were not married! That one shocked me!
That little tidbit surprised me too! I always thought they were married. I avoided this series when it first aired but I gave it a try around mid-season and quickly got hooked. I was taken by how sincere this man and his family were on their mission to not only capture but show compassion to law breakers. I adore that they carry no guns but choose to use non-lethal weapons to bring down their suspect.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this show and we even went by the office... Wesley was the only one in there, but we got shots of the outside of the office and out back where they park and the sign that says bounty hunter parking only and it has a pair of handcuffs at the bottom :lol: We found out that at the time Beth's dad (the one that's been on the show before, where he cooked breakfast for everyone) had passed away... We didn't know that you could go in the office and buy t-shirts and stuff... :angry:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry this is late...took me awhile to find the thread.

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

'Dog the Bounty Hunter' Arrested

He was taken in on kidnapping charges

September 14 2006

25385284.jpg

Duane 'Dog the Bounty Hunter' ChapmanDog the Bounty Hunter has been collared.

Duane Chapman, the reality TV star of A&E's "Dog the Bounty Hunter," was arrested Thursday morning (Sept. 14) in Hawaii, reports MSNBC. Son Leland Chapman and fellow bounty hunter Tim Chapman (no relation) were also arrested on kidnapping charges.

The report, which can be seen on MSNBC's website, says that an arrest warrant was issued in Washington, prompted by the Mexican government. The kidnapping charges stem from an incident back in 2003.

That year, Max Factor heir Andrew Luster was on the run for several months to avoid multiple counts of rape and ended up in Mexico where Duane "Dog" Chapman and his team apprehended him. Mexican authorities wanted Luster handed over to them, denied Chapman and his gang permission to leave the country, declared them fugitives from justice and tried to get them extradited to Mexico for sentencing. Even though the three Chapmans were held in jail for a few days, the charges were eventually dropped and they were released. Luster is currently serving a 124-year sentence.

It's uncertain why this incident has come back to haunt the wildly popular bounty hunter. Details are pending.

"Dog the Bounty Hunter" is in its third season on A&E and has gained a loyal following for its unconventional but charismatic star. The tattooed Chapman is an ex-con who turned a new leaf, embracing his faith and his calling to bring fugitives to justice. He's known for his gruff yet caring nature, often exhibited to those he captures.

The network is standing behind its dog and issued the following statment: "A&E supports Dog and his family during this difficult time and is proud of his role in helping to bring a convicted serial rapist to justice."

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Dog The Family Speaks Special To Air On A&E

dog_the_family_speaks.jpg

Dog, Leland and Tim Chapman were taken into custody by U.S. Marshals early Thursday morning in connection with charges stemming from their 2003 arrest of convicted serial rapist, Andrew Luster. Andrew Luster, the famed heir to the Max Factor cosmetics fortune, was convicted of drugging and raping three women over a four year span. During his trial in 2003, Luster fled the country to Mexico.

In June 2003, Dog and his team tracked the fugitive Luster in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, where he was living under an alias, and arrested him. As bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico, Dog, Tim and Leland were arrested by the Mexican authorities and Luster was handed over to the United States government by the Mexicans. He was subsequently found guilty and is currently serving a 124 year prison sentence. After being released on bail, Dog, his family and team, returned to Hawaii and to their lives as bounty hunters.

Thursday at 6:00am, U.S. Marshals stormed Dog

• 2 weeks later...

nice show but he be chasing crackheads

I'm a fan of this show too, and I'm mad about Dog being arrested! He did the world a favor by getting that sicko rapist off the streets and this is how he's repaid. They mentioned on the show that the warrant on him, Leland and Tim had an expiration of 3-4 years from the date it was set back in 2003. Real funny that now they decide to bust him, what with this whole shutting down the border thing that the US is doing.

BTW, did anyone see the segment where Beth was talking to Rita Cosby? WTF is wrong with her voice! It sounds like she needs to clear her throat one good time! I don't know how she made it into broadcasting! It's unique but ughhh! And doesn't she look just like Kasey Novak on Law and Order: SVU?

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of: FOX REALITY

DOG Chapman's Mexican Case On Hold

October 21, 2006

by Staff Writer

LATEST: Reality TV star DUANE 'DOG' CHAPMAN's is delighted Mexican authorities are starting to listen to his side of the story, following his arrest last month (14SEP06) for illegal bounty hunting.

The Hawaii-based star of DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER, his son LELAND and another associate were arrested in Mexico last month on a warrant following Chapman's capture of convicted rapist ANDREW LUSTER in June 2003 in Mexico, who had skipped bail in the United States.

However, bounty hunting is a crime in Mexico and Chapman has been accused of conspiracy and the illegal detention of Max Factor heir Luster, who is currently serving a 124-year prison term in the US.

At a press conference yesterday (20OCT06), Chapman said, "The tide is changing a little bit... If it comes out right, would I do it again? You damn right."

Chapman said his lawyer WILLIAM BOLLER has spent the past month in Mexico and has managed to persuaded the Mexican federal court to grant an order to halt the case against Chapman until further evidence is found.

Reflecting on the night he spent in a Mexican jail following his arrest, the 53-year-old hardman said, "Jails are truly man-made hells. I'm too old to be traumatised, but it's right next to that. It's just incredible."

SOURCE: WENN Entertainment News Wire Service

• 9 months later...

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TODAYS NEWS: MY TAKE

Duane Chapman No Longer Dogged by Mexican Authorities

Although bounty hunting is considered a crime in Mexico, charges against Duane "Dog" Chapman, his son and a member of their team have been dropped by a south-of-the-border court, TMZ has learned. Maybe the authorities finally realized that the TV vigilantes' removal of convicted serial rapist Andrew Luster from Puerto Vallarta would be good for tourism.

Posted by Matt Webb Mitovich 08/2/07 9:41 AM :

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

A&E stops production on Dog the Bounty Hunter because of Dog

:shocking::oops: Yeah, he really hung himself with that one.

All I can think of is that episode of South Park where Cartman is Dog the Hallway Monitor.

"I am the dog, the big bad dooooooggggg! The hallway monitor!"

"utmost respect and aloha?" is that the same as mad props? :lei:

I don't know how old Dog is but I read somewhere that he has like 12 kids. I know he lost a daughter to a car wreck last year. He said he had a rough life when he was younger. He looks older than what he probably is.....I'll google him and try and find out his age......

Added: Ok on post #12 says he's 53 in 2006, but I also found an MSN news report written in 2003 that says he's 53. So he could be 54 to 57.....he sure looks older than that.

Thanks Echo....my hubby was born in 1953.....Dog looks ALOT older than him!lol I think Dog dyes his hair.lol

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

A&E pulls Dog the Bounty Hunter off the air after advertisers back out

&E has pulled all scheduled broadcasts of Dog the Bounty Hunter, its highest-rated show, off the air, following the release of Dog

I love Dog and his show.....I feel very bad for him and all this stuff he's facing now. BUT....when you're in the public-eye....you have to be very careful what you say! I don't like what he said one bit....I'm not trying to defend him, but geeese! You would think with all the celebs that have gotten in trouble lately for what they have said or done.....people would learn by now to keep their mouths shut! JMHO :pixiedust:

It seems that Reality TV celebrities (those chose to remain in the lime light) tend to get themselves into a lot of real life dramas. Dog's life entire life has been filed with it; long before he was on TV. As a general statement, there are people in the world who simply can't but help themselves, and say\do things that cause drama to happen. That is just who they are. :animated_bouncy:

I agree echo.

Dog is a in your face tell it like it is kind of guy and I like that about him. It just amazes me that people still get in trouble after all thats been going on in the press! I guess he spoke before the thought. :lipsrsealed2: I do that myself sometimes well, alot! lol

I think the whole thing sucks and he was betrayed by his own son. I listened to the full tape , it wasn't like he was out in public saying anything it was a privat phone call with his sun Tucker.

From what I heard Tuckers girl friend got the media alerted to it but they did not catch anything but the phone call with his son , that would indicate that his son recorded him .

Was he right for what he said , no , I don't condone all that but I don't condone invasion of privacy when your in your own office or home , to me that sucks and I will miss the show.

thanks wolf...I was wondering where the press got the info in the first place. I thought it might have been an open mic. people have gotten in trouble before for saying stuff when then thought their mic was off. Its all very sad!

Archived