2006 Country Music Television Awards

TV_Paige

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

2006 Country Music Television Awards Have Faith

Faith.Hill.Oprah.Show.2005.jpg

Faith Hill

CMT voters gotta have Faith. And Carrie. And, uh, Reese? Faith Hill nabbed a leading four nominations for the 2006 CMT Awards, the country music video kudosfest voted on entirely by fans. Country faves Trace Adkins and Miranda Lambert announced the nominees Wednesday, March 15, after more than 1.2 million twang-talkin' music lovers cast votes on CMT.com to determine the finalists.

Fan fave Hill led the pack, with three of her four nominations shared with her superstar hubby Tim McGraw for their duet "Like We Never Loved At All." The A-list couple picked up nods for Best Video, Best Collaboration, and Video Director of the Year. Hill's solo effort, "Mississippi Girl," rounds out her nominations, with a nod for Female Video of the Year.

McGraw is one of a slew of triple nominees for the awards show, in the esteemed company of Keith Urban, Brooks & Dunn, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Trace Adkins, Miranda Lambert and "American Idol" alum Carrie Underwood.

sugarland_bonjovi.jpg

A little bit country ~ A little bit rock 'n' roll ~ Sugarland and Bon Jovi blend music styles

And while this year's ceremony is going to be a whole lot of country, there is room for a little rock 'n' roll. Bon Jovi is up for its first ever CMT Award thanks to its duet with Sugarland frontwoman Jennifer Nettles, "Who Says You Can't Go Home." The unexpected pairing is up for Best Collaborative Video of the Year.

Of course, no awards show this season would be complete without an appearance by, let alone nomination for, Hollywood golden girl Reese Witherspoon. The "Walk the Line" Oscar winner is up for yet another nod along with costar Joaquin Phoenix. The duo has been nominated for Best Collaborative Video of the Year for their recreation of Johnny and June Carter Cash's song, "Jackson."

jefffoxworthy_240.jpg

Host Jeff Foxworthy

The awards are slated to be doled out April 10 at Belmont University's Curb Events Center in Nashville. Blue collar comic Jeff Foxworthy will host the event, which includes performances from the country world's top talent: Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, Trace Adkins, Gretchen Wilson, Brooks & Dunn and Sugarland are all slated to take the stage.

Voting for the video honors is open for all categories until April 7. Finalists for Video of the Year will be announced at the top of the broadcast with voting open for that category only throughout the show. The CMT Awards air live on--where else?--CMT.

• 4 weeks later...
2006_CMT_logo.jpg
2006 Country Music Television Award Nominees
(winners will appear highlighted in red)

carrie_CMT.jpg
Carrie Underwood sings 'Jesus, Take the Wheel' which garnered
two belt buckles for this Country 'Idol' at the 2006 CMT Awards

Breakthrough Video of the Year
Carrie Underwood, "Jesus, Take the Wheel"
Jason Aldean, "Hicktown"
Miranda Lambert, "Kerosene"
Sugarland, "Something More"

Hottest Video of the Year
Billy Currington, "Must Be Doin' Somethin' Right"
Dierks Bentley, "Come A Little Closer"
Keith Urban, "Making Memories of Us"
Trace Adkins, "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk"

Most Inspiring Video of the Year
Brad Paisley featuring Dolly Parton, "When I Get Where I'm Going"
Brooks & Dunn, "Believe"
Carrie Underwood, "Jesus, Take The Wheel"
Reba McEntire, "You're Gonna Be"

Collaborative Video of the Year
Bon Jovi featuring Jennifer Nettles, "Who Says You Can't Go Home"
Brad Paisley featuring Dolly Parton, "When I Get Where I'm Going"
Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, "Like We Never Loved At All"
Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, "Jackson"

Group/ Duo Video of the Year
Brooks & Dunn, "Believe"
Little Big Town, "Boondocks"

Rascal Flatts, "Skin (Sarabeth)"
Sugarland, "Just Might (Make Me Believe)"

Female Video of the Year
Carrie Underwood, "Jesus, Take the Wheel"
Faith Hill, "Mississippi Girl"
Miranda Lambert, "Kerosene"
Sara Evans, "A Real Fine Place To Start"

Male Video of the Year
Keith Urban, "Better Life"
Kenny Chesney, "Who You'd Be Today"
Toby Keith, "As Good As I Once Was"

Video of the Year
(awarded to the artist male, female, group/duo or collaboration)
Kenny Chesney, "Who You'd Be Today"
Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, "Like We Never Loved At All"
Toby Keith, "As Good As I Once Was"

Keith Urban, "Better Life"

2006_CMT_logo.jpg
visionary_award.jpg
hankwilliamsjr.jpg
Hank Williams Jr.

In tribute of his important impact on the music world, CMT presents a special Visionary Award in his honor each year to an artist who exemplifies what Johnny Cash perfected -- a vision. CMT's Johnny Cash Visionary Award recognizes an artist's extraordinary musical vision, innovative and groundbreaking music videos and pioneering initiatives in entertainment.

CMT will honor country music icon and king of the common man Hank Williams Jr. with the Johnny Cash Visionary Award, presenting it to him at the "2006 CMT Music Awards." Williams' raw creativity and passion have shaped the history of country music for over five decades. The five-time entertainer of the year will release his 70th album this year.

Williams boasts three multi-platinum albums, eight platinum albums and has sold more than 50 million albums worldwide. Williams holds the distinction of being the first country artist to ever win an Emmy, a feat he repeated 1990 through 1993 for his "Monday Night Football" anthem, "Are You Ready for Some Football?"

A true visionary on all fronts, Williams paired up with friend Waylon Jennings in 1983, just shortly after the launch of CMT, for his first music video "The Conversation."

The following year he called on some more famous friends to create the video for his 1984 signature hit, "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight," which featured a who's who of country music names including George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and George Thorogood.

Williams went on to conceptualize dozens of music videos, including "There's a Tear in My Beer," the 1989 duet with his late father, which used cutting-edge production techniques to appear as if the two were actually performing together in the video.

Williams joins an elite circle of gifted performers to have received this prestigious mark of distinction, including Loretta Lynn (2005), Reba McEntire (2004), Johnny Cash (2003) and the Dixie Chicks (2002).

Past Visionary Award Recipients

2005 Recipient
Loretta Lynn
In 2005, the legendary Lynn received the Johnny Cash Visionary Award for her amazing career which includes her most recent critically acclaimed album, "Van Lear Rose," produced by Jack White. The award was presented by newcomer Gretchen Wilson, Martina McBride and 2004 honoree Reba McEntire, along with a special tribute video sharing her career highlights and comments from many of country's biggest stars.

2004 Recipient
Reba McEntire
In 2004, McEntire was the recipient of the permanently renamed award in honor of Johnny Cash. Presented by Brooks & Dunn, McEntire was honored with a poignant tribute featuring heartfelt sentiments from some of her friends and colleagues including Lily Tomlin, Martina McBride, Vince Gill, Kelly Clarkson and from her hit television series, "Reba," Melissa Peterman and Christopher Rich.

2003 Recipient
Johnny Cash
In 2003, CMT honored the incomparable Cash for his immeasurable achievements and musical vision. Vince Gill hosted the moving tribute and presented the award to Country Music Hall of Fame member June Carter Cash, accepting on behalf of her husband who was unable to attend. Cash's masterfully powerful and artistic music video, "Hurt," was a cornerstone in CMT's tribute which featured Bono, Hank Williams Jr. and Rosanne Cash.

2002 Recipient
Dixie Chicks
In 2002, CMT awarded the first ever Video Visionary Award to the Dixie Chicks, known for their solid musical talent as well as their music video originality and creativity. Innovators on multiple fronts, the Dixie Chicks launched a whole new wave of popularity for the genre and broadened country music into new and untapped audiences.

ap_100.jpg

2006 CMT Awards Mix Music and Humor

CMT_opener.jpg

Host Jeff Foxworthy strikes a funny pose with his

dance partner, Lisa Rinna in the opening number

of the 2006 Country Music Television Awards

Forget the excitement of "Dancing with the Stars." That's so last season. Not to be outdone, "SoapTalk" host and 'Dancing' standout, Lisa Rinna traded her ballroom heels for a pair of cowboy boots at the opening of the 2006 Country Music Television Awards on Monday, April 10 on CMT.

In a comical homage to 'Dancing,' host Jeff Foxworthy partnered Rinna for a parody of Trace Adkins' hip-shaking video for his anthem, "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk." Complete with video practice montage and fancy graphics, "Line Dancing with the Stars" was in full swing.

Not to be outdone, Adkins, himself, appeared next to show Foxworthy how it should be done as he was surrounded by scantily dressed dancers for a full Country-style production number. After a change of costume, Foxworthy returned to the stage and does what he does best . . . comedy.

trace_CMT.jpg

Trace Adkins shows off his hip-shaking style as he performs his

anthem to posteriors, 'Honky Tonk Badonkadonk'

Foxworthy's monologue included cracks about the age of some of the newer artists who he claimed "were so young that they took their whiskey in sippy cups." Turning his attention to "Nashville Star" alumni, Miranda Lambert, Foxworthy joked, "Miranda Lambert is so young that her tour is being brought to you by the letter J and the number 7."

Newcomer Lambert had been nominated in the Female Video and Breakthrough Video categories for "Kerosene," but she lost out to fellow reality star, Carrie Underwood. Underwood was the only double winner at the Country Music Television Awards Show. She launched her country recording career last year after winning top prize on "American Idol."

Underwood's inspirational hit, "Jesus, Take the Wheel," took home honors for both Breakthrough Video and Female Video. "This is my very first acceptance speech so I made a list," Underwood said before thanking everyone from her music company to God to "American Idol" and the loyal fans who continue to support her career.

nettles_CMT.jpg

Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles gets passed through the crowd after

diving into the audience during their performance

"Music videos are a huge tool," Underwood said after the ceremony for the awards, chosen by fans. "Fans love them because they add a new dimension to the song, and we love them because it's just another way to get (the music) out there. For my first video to win two awards tonight was amazing."

Another song with a strong spiritual theme, Brad Paisley's duet with Dolly Parton "When I Get Where I'm Going," won for Inspirational Video. Bon Jovi and Sugarland singer Jennifer Nettles won in the Collaborative Video for their toe-tapping hit, "Who Says You Can't Go Home."

Kenny Chesney won the Male Video Award for "Who You'd Be Today." In his acceptance speech, Chesney said, "I think everybody has lost somebody before they were meant to, and Shaun Silva and I did this video to help us all remember those people."

rascal_flatts_CMT.jpg

Joe Don Rooney, left, and Gary LeVox of the group Rascal Flatts

perform before winning in the Group/Duo Video category

Rascal Flatts won the Group/Duo Video Award for "Skin (Sarabeth)," about a girl with cancer. "I think this song took on a life of its own," said Rascal Flatts member Jay DeMarcus. "It became almost bigger than we are, honestly. We were just the voice behind it."

Billy Currington won Hottest Video for his R&B flavored hit "Must Be Doin' Somethin' Right," and Sophie Muller won Video Director for the Faith Hill-Tim McGraw duet "Like We Never Loved At All." Dwight Yoakam paid tribute to his friend and mentor Buck Owens, creator of the twangy "Bakersfield sound" and longtime "Hee Haw" host, who died of a heart ailment on March 25.

Yoakam called Owens the "best friend country music could ever ask for" and an inspiration to thousands of musicians. Owens pioneered the California country rock sound that flourished in the 1960s with such groups as The Byrds, he said.

owens_tribute.jpg

Dwight Yoakam (lower left) gave a touching

tribute to Country legend Buck Owens

Hank Williams Jr. received the Johnny Cash Visionary Award for his contributions to country music. The son of the legendary Hank Williams began his career performing his father's songs, but in the 1970s forged his own identity by fusing country music with the Southern rock of groups, such as The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Marshall Tucker Band.

"My father changed and molded country music. Johnny Cash changed and molded country music. Waylon Jennings changed and molded country music," Williams said. "I'm just a guy that is another carpenter in a long line, and there's a lot more new ones here tonight." Williams joins such previous winners as Loretta Lynn, Reba McEntire and the Dixie Chicks.

Last month, his daughters Holly Williams, 25, and Hilary Williams, 27 were seriously injured in an auto accident. Holly Williams attended the awards show wearing a cast on her arm while Hilary is still recovering, the singer said. "I was spared and Hilary Williams has been spared," said the bearded singer, who almost died in a mountain-climbing accident in 1975.

urbanchoir.jpg

Keith Urban performs his song 'Better Life' with a choir made up

of people displaced from the Gulf Coast by Hurricane Katrina

Keith Urban took home the last award of the evening winning the Video of the Year. Urban closed the show with a touching performance of the song for his winning video, "Better Life," with a displaced choir from the Gulf Coast and scenes from the hurricane-damaged region.

"We just wanted to present a better tone for 'Better Life,' and I had been down to New Orleans and was struck by a combination of things how much has been done and how little has been done," Urban said. "We just wanted to bring a little more awareness back to the cause down there."

Fans voted online through April 7 to determine the winners in each category except video of the year, which was chosen by fans during the live telecast. The awards were first presented in 2002.

2006_CMT_logo.jpg
2006 Country Music Television Award Winners

urban_CMT_225x250.jpg
Keith Urban won Video of the Year for 'Better Life'

Video of the Year
(awarded to the artist)
Keith Urban
"Better Life"

Breakthrough Video of the Year
Carrie Underwood
"Jesus, Take the Wheel"

Hottest Video of the Year