The Top Twelve

Fuskie

Now that we are in the top twelve, we are going to do something a little different. Instead of seperate Ladies' and Mens' and results show posts, this thread will be used to review the remaining performances and deliver the results show. So settle in and speak up. This is the American Idol Top Twelve!

Fuskie

Who is glad AR doesn't come on until 10pm...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kelli sucks part 2

I dont think Mandisa has to worry 'bout a THANG!!!!

hmmmm maybe there is something in the songs that they are singing....LOL

I dont know Bucky the writing might be on the wall for you.....

was he saying superstition or stuperstious :mellow:

Melissa was ok....sucks that she messed up the lyrics though...but I still enjoy her voice....

Waiting on Lisa now....I wonder ....get it wonder ....ok whatever I wonder how she is going to do

Lisa was good but the whole time i was thinking....She was born when I was that age....I feel old :(

Kat is staying....

ummm Kevin...I think that he really thinks that he is a sex symbol and a gangster....I'm not saying he's not but if thats what he is then I must be Naomi Campbell

Six men, six women, all of them want to become the next American Idol. Who sing beyond their expectations and who will underwhelm? Who will continue on to next week and who will go home. They perform, you judge. This is American Idol.

Tonight's theme is Stevie Wonder.

Ace Young - Do I do. My first reaction was that he was a bit off pitch, but he took a famous song and made it his own, working the stage and the crowd. A decent performance given the probable bigger stage jitters but not a commanding one. He was clearly shaking with nerves at the end. Randy said the song started off key but he got it together by the middle and it was only all right. Paula thought he started off the night fantasticly, with his spirit and dance moves, he was entertaining. Simon said it is lucky the audience is easily pleased because Randy was right about the vocal.

Kellie Pickler - Blame It On The Sun. R&B goes country, this was an uninspiring performance with bland vocals. It did not seem like she had any passion behind her singing, and she did not play to the audience or take advantage of the huge stage. Another nervous nellie. Randy found it an interesting song choice, a non-event without any spark. The key was low vocally. Paula could tell she was nervous and out of her comfort zone, too safe, no chances with the song, no razzle dazzle. Simon said everything went wrong; half of America fell asleep. Plus you've gone to Dolly Parton school - dress like you are 19 years old, not old and boring. Worst performance so far.

Elliott Yamin - Knocks Me Off My Feet. From the start, Elliott is close to the target but not quite there. There is a rampant pitch key problem tonight, although he has the condifidence to make the song his own and the audience loved him for it. Randy said this is his comfort zone, but not his best performance but at the end, he hit the note. Paula loved that he was so moved by meeting Stevie Wonder, and we will see so many more weeks of him it won't be funny. Simon said it was the best so far tonight but lacking the Wow factor. Good enough for this week but not good enough to win.

Mandisa - Don't You Worry About A Thing. Barefoot on stage, Mandisa did not blow the house down until she let her voice take control. Once she got comfortable, she began shakin' and singin' and taking a little known song to the audience. The best performance so far, but not her best performance to date. Randy said she was not as amazing as last week, but the best so far tonight. Paula said Stevie Wonder was correct - she can sing anything. Simon agreed it was the best so far.

Bucky Covington - Supersition. Letting his hair down, Bucky reentered the competition with the first strong performance of the night. Not over the top, not under the table, entirely his with good stage presence, this was a quality effort that should make the competition take notice. Randy said it was the right song for him, and he enjoyed it despite it not being the greatest vocal performance. Paula also enjoyed it, noting how different it was for him, but he needs to get out of his comfort zone a little more. Simon thought it was one of his best performances, but didn't like the Jessica Simpson hairstyle.

Melissa McGhee - Lately. A night of firsts for her, she was a picture of elegance using her unique voice to own the song. But the more she sang, as she went through each crescendo, I started to lose interest, as if she was going through the motions with each line instead of feeling a passionate song. Randy noticed she forget the lyrics again, and there were some flat and sharp notes in there. Paula said she should wear dresses more often, but when she sings there is something very soothing, a breath of fresh air, different from any other voice in the competition. Simon said that was her best performance so far, not perfect but edgy and contemporary.

Lisa Tucker - Signed, Sealed, Delivered. Going up tempo, Lisa rocked the stage with a passionate performance that was focused, in key, and completely her own. She delivered tonight. Randy said the hottest part of the song was the end; the middle was a little boring. The end was hot. Paula said she shines most when she goes outside of the melody. Simon said it was one of the best performances tongiht because she absolutely took control of the stage. Tonight she had the It factor.

Kevin Covais - Part Time Lover. Kevin is so comfortable in his skin, it is hard not to have fun with him. Not the best voice in the competition, he never-the-less nailed the song, owning the stage. You would think he had been performing all his life. Randy wasn't expecting him to sing good or in tune, but he did both and had some dance moves to boot. And he is wearing makeup! Paula says even Stevie Wonder wants to squish him. He had his own style, it is a hard song to sing and stay in time and he did it. Simon said this is where Stevie turns down the volume - it was apalling. Kevin gives Simon some lip back.

Katharine McPhee - Until You Come Back To Me. An affected performance, she sang well but it did not jump out and grab me. She never really exploded although she teased a bit, trying too hard for the smoldering look. Randy said that was the Kat America fell in love with during auditions. Paula said there is something about her voice that pierces the heart and tonight was her best performance ever. Simon said simply she is good, reminding him him of Kelly Clarkson vocally at this stage of the competition.

Taylor Hicks - Livin' For The City. The right song for his voice, Taylor did not shy away from looking older while at the same time muting his enthusiasm just enough to take the song seriously, although he did get his groove on toward the end. Just not much actual singing in that song. Randy said all his gigs and bar performances paid off tonight. Paula said even the band had a smile on their faces. He has so much passion and is so entertaining, he should do it for the rest of his life. Simon said his appeal is he is like every dad who gets drunk at a wedding. It is a compliment, he says, the difference is he can sing.

Paris Bennett - All I Do. Paris rocked Hollywood tonight with a confident performance that was a little pitchy but mostly entertaining. She put her soul behind her singing and the difference between her and the early performers tonight was striking. Randy said once again, we see the greatness she started the auditions with, unbelievable tonight. Paula called her a seasoned veteran. Simon said the second half of the competition has been brilliant, she is like a performing doll - just wind her up and let her go. Paris was so excited she thanked her fans in song.

Chris Daughtry - Higher Ground. Mixing a little Chili Wonder, Chris brought the house down, with a little Bice-inspired mike stand holding. This was a rock performance that masked a less than exciting vocal peformance. Still, Chris engraved his name on the stage and in the hearts of his fans. Randy said each week he figures out a way to make the song his own, and he worked it out. Paula enjoys every single week of his. Simon said thank G-d for Chris; this was the only real-world performance and he could imagine him having a hit with that song.

Fuskie

Who did not have a particular favorite tonight but thinks Ace and Kellie are most likely on the bubble...

ace or kelli should go but thats not gonna happen not with teenage girls and boys on the plow. katherine imho is the best singer their vocally. chris rock theme is getting played out imho he sounds the same every friggin week. paris great performance.

bucky or melissa is going home

Do you all not see Kevin....he does not belong there...im sorry ...i wont buy any of his albums if he wins

yep he terrible too. i thought by now he would have mature into a good singer.

Odd night tonight. It's like the entire group was a unit that had to get warmed up. In general, the worst performances were toward the beginning, the best toward the end.

Katherine sounded like she was gonna let us know that Mandisa wasn't the only woman in the competition that could sing. In my opininion the best of the night, which is saying a lot since Mandisa, Taylor, and Lisa all brought it big time.

On the flip side of the coin, Melissa, Kellie, and Kevin didn't do themselves any favors. Kellie had a particularly uninspired song choice, and a lackluster performance. Bucky was better than he usually is, but still near the bottom in this field.

I mentioned earlier in the week that Stevie Wonder is a very difficult songwriter to nail. There are odd changes in his songs, tough rhythms, huge ranges, etc. It will really separate the contenders from the pretenders.

My 6 year old daughter has been watching most of this season with us and she watched the whole show tonight. The only one she got up and danced to was Taylor and the person she wanted to vote for at the end was KEVIN... I about fell off the couch! *shakes head* I just don't get what these young girls with the signs and my daughter see but, I think someone else on here said their granddaughter and her friends like him too. I'm afraid he's going to be around much longer than we want him to be. (No I didn't let her vote... lol)

Kellie and Bucky seem to have similar backgrounds - both from small North Carolina towns, not much exposure to Stevie Wonder tunes before this week, etc - but it was interesting how different they each responded to the challenge of having to perform a new type of music. Bucky dove in head first and really got into it. But Kellie almost seemed to be trying to us it as an excuse for her performance even before she began - was she just not as open to the new experience or did she know she wasn't going to be very good so didn't try? Either way I was more impressed with Bucky's effort and performace - it'll be too bad if he gets the boot and Kellie isn't even in the bottom 3.

PS Wonder if Melissa's fans'll be turned off by the fact that she offended Stevie Wonder not once but twice by messing up his lyrics. It kind of did make me like Kevin more to know Stevie Wonder likes him - can't help it, it's true!

My 6 year old daughter has been watching most of this season with us and she watched the whole show tonight. The only one she got up and danced to was Taylor and the person she wanted to vote for at the end was KEVIN... I about fell off the couch! *shakes head* I just don't get what these young girls with the signs and my daughter see but, I think someone else on here said their granddaughter and her friends like him too. I'm afraid he's going to be around much longer than we want him to be. (No I didn't let her vote... lol)

haha kids these days eh.What are we to do with them...lol

and yes DO NOT LET HER VOTE..............PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Not that i like Kevin by any means as a top performer on the show....but you should have let your daughter vote for him if she wanted to.

My faves are

Chris

Mandisa

Not that i like Kevin by any means as a top performer on the show....but you should have let your daughter vote for him if she wanted to.

My faves are

Chris

Mandisa

I am with you on your faves but not on her daughter voting...lol...sorry

We start with the review of last night's competition. Then we get to the opening act, Mr. Stevie Wonder!

Right after this commercial break.

But first, the obligatory group song, with Ace playing the Troll. A feel good campfire outdoorsy thing. Forgot about it already.

Because there are our Top Twelve, and ladies and gentlmen, Mr. Stevie Wonder!

Off the new album, My Love Is On Fire. Now I love Stevie Wonder, but what is up with this song? Talk about a single with no legs, this is why I don't listen to Peach 95.1FM. Sorry.

Now we turn to the serious business. Your votes or the lack thereof sending someone home tonight.

Ace, Kevin, one of you is safe and the other in the bottom three. Ace, you are in the bottom three as shock makes its rounds in the theater. Randy and Paula are shocked. Simon said it is all about the public preferring other people. It's a wakeup call - choose better songs and perform better.

Who will join Ace in the bottom three? We'll find out after this break.

Paris, you are safe. Kellie, you are also safe. Taylor, you are safe. Chris, you are safe. Six remaining. Melissa, Elliott, one of you is in the bottom three. That person is Melissa; Elliott, you are safe. One more to join them.

Mandisa, America voted and you are safe. Katharine, you are safe. Lisa and Bucky, one of you is safe, the other will round out the final three. That person is Lisa. Bucky, you are safe.

America: Ace, Melissa and Lisa are your bottom three.

Ace, you can return to the seats, you are safe.

Melissa and Lisa, America voted and Lisa, you are safe. Melissa McGhee leaves us tonight on American Idol. She admitted that thought she might be leaving tonight. Still smiling, Melissa sings us off, cut off by a show run long. When you are done, the limelight forgets all about you.

Fuskie

Who was surprised Kellie is still in the competition...

There should be a number to vote against the contestants....Bucky, Kelli and Kevin would be soooo buh-by right now

I was in so much shock when he said Lisa's name and said that Kevin was safe over Ace....Now I'm no Ace fan but come on KEVIN.... :(

Can someone tell me what I am missing with this whole kevin thing....now thats a riddle :huh:

Can someone tell me what I am missing with this whole kevin thing....now thats a riddle :huh:

Unlike that "other" riddle, I think this one boils down to all the young kids having cell phones, nowadays. I, too, was shocked that kevin was safe this week. I don't think he'll be around much longer, but the way things have been going, who knows? :blink:

See just proves my point about cellphones being used for unimportant things by teens as a status symbol. So we have all those parents out there to thank for Kevin still being in the competition. If your teens didn't have cellphones and access to the phone 24/7 Kevin would be gone. Oh btw I raised two perfectly well adjusted daughters so I do know what I am talking about.

I agree, except that I think the cause might be teen girls specifically. We have three young ones in the top 12 -- Kevin, Paris, and Lisa. Given the talent level of each, it seems that Kevin has a definite (and unfair) advantage. Either young girls vote more than young boys, or that site "Vote for the Worst" has everyone working overtime.

I don't get it either Blah. But every year there is someone (or someones) who just keep getting the votes even though they suck. I have a feeling kevin will be around awhile. I hope I am wrong.

I hope your wrong too MO!!!....He has to goooo!!!

See just proves my point about cellphones being used for unimportant things by teens as a status symbol. So we have all those parents out there to thank for Kevin still being in the competition. If your teens didn't have cellphones and access to the phone 24/7 Kevin would be gone. Oh btw I raised two perfectly well adjusted daughters so I do know what I am talking about.

LOL.....cellphones+teenagegirls ..(maybe boys too...its never to young..YKWIS)= Kevin is HEAVEN.... :wacko:

Sometimes ye wonder if just tae be malicious folks vote someone good oot & keep the goobers in li' Kevin.Or pity votes!Anytime ye be lettin the public choose there'll be a bunch o' pranksters tryin tae rock the boat.

Once there were twelve, now there are eleven. Elevin finalists singing to be your next American Idol. It's 50's week, and after a quick set of introductions and expectations set by the judges. Ryan is quick to call out Simon on picking his top 3 for Larry King. Simon is unrepentant. Ryan does not dwell. Instead, he announces that the contestants have had the coaching help of Barry Manilow. In Vegas. And what is Barry's advice? Find your own take on a great piece of music.

Let the competition begin.

Mandisa - I Don't Hurt Anymore by Diana Washington. From the start, Mandisa is on, looking svelt in black, she subtly shakes her rhythm and blues before belting her way to a fantastic start to tonight's competition. The bar has been set and it is high. Randy is all yo yo yo as he waits for the ovation to subside, wow he says, speachless. A classy, great amazing way to start the night; Manidsa set the mark. Paula said it can be difficult to escape the genre, but she is a thoroughbred. Simon said she was blossoming, a sexy performance like a great stripper song. He absolutely loved it.

Bucky Covington - Oh Boy by Buddy Holly. Compared to Mandisa, this was a weaker performance, but not a bad one. Barry Manilow called it a joyous song but Bucky was lacking the energy that comes to mind when you think of it being performed life in the movie. Randy said it was a great song choice, a good mike technique with the Bucky hair back, but not the best falsetto at the end. Paula agreed it was a great choice of song, a good song performance. Simon gave a reality check - it was nothing more than a pointless kareoke performance because first time viewers would say so what, it was pointless.

Paris Bennett - Fever by Peggy Lee. Sultry at seventeen, she was dressed for the part and drew me in right away with great anticipation. A little tease here, a little tease there, she just built up the expectation little by little and then she delivered a finale that served Mandisa notice that there is still competition to be feared. Randy said it started a little uncertain, but by the middle of the song he rememvered why he loved her and she blew it out the box the rest of the song. Paula said she forgot she was seventeen with some of those moves, inpeccable vocals, good costume. Simon said this is what she does best, the perfect voicd for that kind of song.

Chris Doughtry - I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash. Dark and mysterious, Chris made me anticipate what would come next, building with each verse with solid confidence. He did not make me work for this performance, he doled it out bit by bit until he shoved it down my throat chased with a rock twist. Johnny who? This was Chris's song all the way. Caching. Randy doesn't know if it was the best vocal, but he took a song that everyone knows and made an alternative record. He knows who he is every week and does not veer from that. Paula said she waits for him ever week, true to who he is and he grows each week. He should already be touring. Simon agreed it was not the best vocal but it doesn't matter; there was an enormous difference between what Bucky did and what Chris did. He is the first contestant on the show to not compromise.

Katharine McPhee - Come Rain Or Come Shine by Ella Fitzgerald. Make love to the audience. That was the game plan and she executed. Too bad the song didn't do for me what her vocals could do. A strong but not so engaging performance. Randy said once again it was not his favorite vocal perforance, but still strong. She worked out a difficult song. Paula said it was tough to pick an Ella Fitsgerald song, but she looked equisite pulling it off. She can go all the way through the competition. Simon said something happened tonight, where she turned into a star. That was a real seasoned great performance, falling into the "special" category.

Taylor Hicks - Not Fade Away by Buddy Holly. Taylor made for him, Hicks got into has performance hunch and began dop dop dedop doping his way to a strong performance. Lots of motion and not much in the way of vocals, this is a song you listen to for the music (and the sax), which perhaps is how Buddy would have wanted it. But dude, dump the white shoes. Randy said he is having a blast performing but the song was not very challenging vocally, but entertaining. Paula says you have to give it up that it was a number one record, and someone should turn his performances into an exercise video. Simon said sorry, but if this was the first time you had seen the performance, out of context of the competition, it was a complete mess. It was like a party performance, to which Taylor responds that is what the 50's was. Paula and Simon get into it as Simon emphasises it is a singing competition, not a dancing competition.

Lisa Tucker - Why Do Fools Fall In Love by Frankie Lymon. An energetic perfomance, Lisa tried to get the audience involved to only fair success. Great job vocally, although the outfit left me a bit confused. Well sung with 5 key changes (all in tune), I missed only the spark that tells Mandisa to take that ovation and shove it. She is cute as the dickens, though. Randy said it was a good song choice, kept her young and a good performance but not a dope performance, good at the end. Paula said she got back her youth tonight, cute as a button, a powerhouse at sixteen. Simon said thought the singing was OK, feeling he was trapped in a high school musical, a little cutesy but not a "Wow!" performance.

Kevin Covais - When I Fall In Love by Nat King Cole. Sitting up close and personal, Kevin looked like he was feeling the song. With one hand in his pant pocket, he effectively communicated that he was singing about himself. The stroll across the stage could have been along the boardwalk. A few off notes, he put in a solid performance that really did look like it could have been from a High School musical. Randy said it was a pretty good job with a couple pitch problems. He sees a little of himself in Kevin. Paula says it takes a lot of courage to start a song 10ft away from Simon. He has a lot of moxy and did a good job. Simon said he likes Kevin because he takes it like a man. It was not the best version of the song, and his audience will love his version.

Elliott Yamin - Teach Me Tonight by Al Jarreau. Wearing an open collar tie, Elliot seemed to be lacking the passion and emotion to give emphasis to his terrific vocals. He began to get it together half way though the song, but compared to the other permances, it was weak. Randy said it was one of the toughest songs to sing with chord modulations and he worked it out, a couple of rough spots. Paula said he moves her, and a lot of people and so needed in the competition. Simon said since this is a singing competition, it was fantastic.

Kellie Pickler - Walking After Midnight by Patsy Kline. Sticking with her country (though not necessarily blonde) roots, Kellie sashayed onto the stage with a solid performance that will please her fans but not compete with the likes of Mandisa, Paris or Chris. Singing to the judges, she belts out her country blues and finishes strong. Randy says great song choice, the country pop girl is back, with the wink at Simon. Paula says calls her a tigress tonight, a true authentic performance. Simon said she got it absolutely right, sexy, just great. Welcome back.

Ace Young - In The Still Of The Night by The Five Satins. Jazzing up a group song, he had no choice but to make this song his own. Comfortable on stage, he made his trademark googly eyes to the camera in what was a completely forgettable performance. It wasn't bad vocally, but it wasn't riveting either even with the falsetto ending. Make more love to the song and less to the camera. Randy said Ace is back tonight, taking a classic song and making it fresh. Paula said there are 34 marriage proposals in the audience, and that was one of his sexiest, sultriest performances of the season. Simon said there were 5 better vocals tonight, but it won't matter. It was one of his stronger performances and much better than last week.

Who was the strongest? Who was the weakest? The competition tightened this week with Mandisa, Paris and Chris in my top three. My bottom three are Katharine McPhee, Lisa Tucker and Elliott Yamin. What do you think? How did you vote? Who is going home on Wednesday? Who will be the next American Idol!

Fuskie

Who agrees that Mandissa could be renamed Mandiva...

Archived