Better Left to Your Memory

morty

Miami Vice ...bbl I have that dang on riffle to get back to :(<<<<<I would edit thas but those are signs of a crazy person....I cant even remember why the dang chicken crossed the road now..... :huh:

Miami Vice - LOL.... I loved "Magnum" and "MacGyver" when I was a kid too. I'll have to test that and watch all three sometime.

"Chips" would be one that comes to mind. My brother and I used to sit there and not move a muscle when it came on. I was only 3 when it was first telecast but it was probably around 6 that I remember watching it with him. He used to sit there with a helmet on and everything. :lol:

I've seen a couple of eppys and thought WHY did I sit and watch this.

Hated watching "The Brady Bunch." All that perfectness made me wanna puke!

I LOVED "Benny Hill" and "Are You Being Served" and something that I've never seen in the US. "The Goodies" and "The Young Ones" (it's Aussie TV so very British) made me LOL all the time. I have so many more I could add to the "I Love" list that I should stop now.... :)

Miami Vice - LOL.... I loved "Magnum" and "MacGyver" when I was a kid too. I'll have to test that and watch all three sometime.

"Chips" would be one that comes to mind. My brother and I used to sit there and not move a muscle when it came on. I was only 3 when it was first telecast but it was probably around 6 that I remember watching it with him. He used to sit there with a helmet on and everything. :lol:

I've seen a couple of eppys and thought WHY did I sit and watch this.

Hated watching "The Brady Bunch." All that perfectness made me wanna puke!

I LOVED "Benny Hill" and "Are You Being Served" and something that I've never seen in the US. "The Goodies" and "The Young Ones" (it's Aussie TV so very British) made me LOL all the time. I have so many more I could add to the "I Love" list that I should stop now.... :)

Was the Young Ones the show with a character named 'Vivian?' If so that show was great!

Benny Hill is one of those left to memory shows for me. I remember it a a laugh riot but upon seeing it again recently I just can't figure out what I thought was so funny...

I remember watching evey week shows like Mash, Cheers, Roseanne, and the Golden Girls--and liking these shows--but now I cant sit thru 5 minutes. They seems to have lost whatever made them interesting. Or maybe they weren't that good in the first place to hold up for later viewing.

Was the Young Ones the show with a character named 'Vivian?' If so that show was great!

Benny Hill is one of those left to memory shows for me. I remember it a a laugh riot but upon seeing it again recently I just can't figure out what I thought was so funny...

That's funny, 'cause I just got my "Young Ones" DVDs. I haven't seen the show since the 80's. Not very funny anymore. There is a scene where they're on a train and Vivian gets decapitated when he sticks his head out the window. I remember being in hysterics over that. It was still funny seeing Vivian go to pick up his head and kick it down the tracks, with the head yelling at him, but no where near as good as I remembered.

-M

Good topic. All of the shows on that Friday line up come to mind...Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step. It may be because I was a kid back then, now I have to immediately turn it when I see those shows on TV.

Most of the 80's movies I used to watch, I can't sit through nowadays...Karate Kid, Back to the Future, The Neverending Story.

Music - When I was a kid I used to love the Doobie Brothers (don't ask), but now I can't stand listening to the Cd's. Maybe I'll enjoy them more if it was played on a record player or 8 track.

I still like the Golden Girls. I wish they would bring Empty Nest back.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shockalot

Its a funny thing how this can go the other way around too.... example for me is also the Golden Girls, a show I dont remember being that good - but now in repeats it seems so much better.

Age being the difference now. Mine.

Its a funny thing how this can go the other way around too.... example for me is also the Golden Girls, a show I dont remember being that good - but now in repeats it seems so much better.

Age being the difference now. Mine.

Are you trying to say you're now a Golden Girl? :lol:

Just kidding...

i remember when i was a kid, on saturday nights PBS had a British import comedy called 'The Goodies'.....i LOVED that show!....when i got older i caught an episode somewhere or other, and good grief...it was sooooooooooo stupid

also, i remember staying up way late to watch Night Gallery....and would have to go to bed with all the lights on, hands and feet under the covers.......but when i watch it as an adult, they were all very predictable and rather hokey

which only proves, we just arent kids long enough!

When I was a kid, I would beg to stay up with my daddy and watch Sea Hunt. That show just fascinated me. But then I loved any show that had underwater themes or jungle themes. I also loved to watch the old Tarzan shows. They would probably still be good to me today if I could find them.

OH...and I couldn't wait to get out of school and run home to watch Dark Shadows! Barnabas Collins! I loved it. Today, it would probably bore me to death...lol

ooooo i loved Dark Shadows too! several years ago one of our local stations began showing Dark Shadows in the afternoons here, and let me tell you that watching it as an adult............yes, it was boring as hell

i loved Wild Kingdom on saturday afternoons, and i still kinda hum that Mutual of Omaha tune :P

ooooo i loved Dark Shadows too! several years ago one of our local stations began showing Dark Shadows in the afternoons here, and let me tell you that watching it as an adult............yes, it was boring as hell

Oh no, I still love Dark Shadows. I taped all 1225 episodes and have watched them from beginning to end about three times.

Guest Shockalot

I have to say that Dark Shadows fits this 'better left to memory' for me.

More accurate to say - it seems like I remembered it as a great show based on what everyone else seemed to laud and herald it as.

When they brought back the episodes a few years ago (Im assuming this is how Morty taped them) I tuned in and actually remembered how much I did not like them.

Maybe its something that needs the aquired taste to love but I just cant get into them at all.

I think Dr. Who might be an example of a sci-fi type serial that a person gets hooked on once they 'get into it' and aquire the taste.

Now, Twilight Zone just never ever let me down.

i can still watch marathons of the Twilight Zone, and Night Gallery too (on the rare occasion that anyone ever airs it)....growing up, we only had two televisions in the house, and one was my brothers, so i remember having to watch Planet of the Apes and Star Trek (it was either that or mama's soap operas or dad's news hour). i hated those shows then and avoid them at all times now.

when i got a little older, i had a little black and white portable television of my own in my room and i remember LOVING the syndicated shows in the afternoons: the Monkees, The Adams Family, the Munsters. in the evenings i would watch Different Strokes and the Facts of Life and LOVED them, but today as soon as my remote hits any of those shows i just keep on surfing through channels.

i still can watch Bugs Bunny though

Lost in Space is by far one of the worst TV shows to ever appear in primetime network TV. Man, that show started off bad, and just got worse with every episode. How does a show do that an stay on the air?

To this day I hate Dr. Smith. Lamest TV character I have ever seen. That turkey should have been jettison out the airlock in by the 3rd episode. I can't tell you how many F'ups he did on that show while Prof Robinson and Major West just fumbled around trying to figure out how to fix the mess.

What is really funny is that Saturday morning cartoons at the time (mid 60s) were far better written and intelligent than Losers in Space ever was. Even the crappy cartoons were better.

I will also say that Irwin Allan is probably TV's biggest hack. He brought trashy "B" movie making to TV.

With that said, when I was 5 years old, Losers in Space was fun to watch. But even I understood that Star Trek was by far the better TV show.

I have a really stupid question, maybe I'm missing something.

How did you tape Dark Shadows?

My bet is that Morty recorded them off the sci-fi channel several years ago. I remember they ran through the entire episodes a couple of times. They aired two episodes back to back in the mornings.

I also beleive the entire series was released on VHS back in the 90s. Now they are being released on DVD. Not sure if all of the episodes are on DVD yet, but I have been getting them from Netflix. There are 10 episodes on each DVD.

I have to add "I Love Lucy" to the list of show that better left in the past.

Lucy became the prototype for 30+ years of bad sitcoms. For decades "The silly misunderstranding" formula was the basis for countless sitcoms. I still remember the episode where Lucy decides to hide a $100 bill in a library book for safe keeping....GAWD, it still makes me cringe just to think about it. I don't find "being stupid" to be funny.

• 1 month later...

i remember LOVING the Gong Show.....of course, i dont think i ever saw it in syndication, but i think if it were i would now think it to be really dopey. However, that upcoming show on NBC 'America's Got Talent' looks to be exactly like it

and Soyyo, i used to eagerly await Saturday night when i was a kid because i got to spend the night at my grandmama's house and she would let me stay up and watch the Love Boat and Fantasy Island! a couple of years ago some station was showing the old Fantasy Island again and i couldnt even make it through the first 15 minutes

• 7 months later...

Love American Style....I remember faithfully watching it as a kid...and man, did it stink to high heaven! I also second the thoughts on Magnum PI. I used to love the "wit" of the show and the characters' bantering back and forth. Well, I watched a few old episodes of it again and...what was I thinking???

Archived