Food for thought

Adria0

Has anyone else noticed that each new season of Survivor has more and more reward challenges relating to food! The first couple of seasons there were at MOST 3 food challenges, including the annual "auction." Now, every few DAYS a food challenge is offered. Can these people seriously not have beer for one week? If you think about it, for the few weeks they are on the island they feast more than us people watching on the couch! Reward challenges can compare to thanksgiving dinner! In no means do I think Survivor would be "easy" as far as meals go, but I'm just wondering what ever happened to the food situation?

photo06_s.jpg

I for one am glad they are having more food challenges. During some of the first Survivor shows....way back when...lol.....the people were so sick from lack of food that they really couldn't play the game like it should have been played. Rice has zero nutritional value but I guess it was better than nothing! The talk on the winners show was all about how much weight everyone lost.

After all this is just a GAME. I imagine the producers had a pretty hefty medical bill to pay for the survivors as they were voted out of the game. Just my take! :)

I noticed there was more food to be won the last couple seasons too but, I thought it was because they are not giving them any to start off with and they don't want anyone to starve to death, literally.

There's no doubt in my mind that lack of food is still a serious issue this year... just look at what happend to the tribe (can't remember the name) when the two guys ate some beans and their system couldn't handle it. Only one team is winning most of these food challenges and even so... eating every three days would make me feel like I was starving too.

Something else that I just thought about....Does anyone remember the Survivor when the producers allowed a native to come to the camp and show one of the teams how to find food on the island that was suitable for eating. I think it was a reward challenge they had won. The man showed them how to find greens and tubors and even showed them how to cook them. He also showed them how to fish with just a piece of string!

I was just wondering why this hasn't been done for all the shows. At least the players could eat better. Thats what I call..."living off the land!" Its better than eating snails and minnows! Yuckkk!!

I would like to see them 'survive' off the land a little better. They shouldn't have to rely on a reward challenge in order to eat. There must be options out there. I liked that reward too, where they tried to teach the castaways how to survive there. They need to know what they can and can't eat, and how to get the food.

Don't most of them get kinda sick, after these rewards where they gorge themselves, after not eating for such a long time? It's not at all good for you, and I would think most digestive systems would revolt, in some way!

I would just like to see them provide for themselves a little better, and not wait to pig out after winning a reward.

I think you're right about that part. They probably let themselves go as hungry as they do since they are counting on getting reward food, they don't try as hard as they could to forage. But, then again I don't want anyone to actually die for reality tv so, giving them food isn't so bad to me. :)

It is very sad to me to see the survivors so gaunt and thin. The show should either give them rations that would have enough nutrition to keep them healthy at least. The women seem to fare a little better than the men. It must be that extra layer of fat we have. :D

I saw Dan on one of the morning shows. He had lost about 30 lbs and attributed his poor performance in the last competition to the lack of nourishment. Basically, he said if you're starving, your brain is not as functional as it would be under normal circumstances. He also said he should have seen this move coming and made an alliance with the girls instead (early on). That way the guys would have been outnumbered and easy to pick off.

I like the idea of giving them rations. Think of the drama we would have if someone ate something they weren't supposed to! Nothing fancy-- but enough to keep them healthy. I think they ought to go a little hungry, so they at least have to think about adding to their diet from what's around them, but I don't think they should starve.

It might be interesting, and give people an opportunity to show their skills, to see the different ways they could come up with, to cook a few basic staples.

I love this show, and will watch it, till it's cancelled, but there are some disappointments for me. One is the 'survivor' aspect gets lost with all the early strategizing and alliances. I know they're playing the game, and you have to look ahead. But I want to see them really survive. I want to see them work together and build a decent shelter. I want them to pool their knowledge, and find the most comfortable, healthy way to live. The way it is now, they are so busy planning and plotting, and looking forward to the merge, that they aren't paying as much attention to making their lives more comfortable.

I loved it, on the All Stars, when they gave them some building materials. I thought their shelters were so cool ( ok, not Rupert's), and it was really fun to see what they came up with.

I think that's why so many of us loved Rupert. He was really a survivor, and made life better for all his tribemates, by providing food on a regular basis.

I guess I would just like to see more of the 'surviving' experience, and less of the 'outwit, outplay, outlast' part of the game.

I agree, last week I was laying in my bed starving while they were on tv having a bbq. Ain't that a bch?

And I never understood why they give those people beer and wine for a reward. I'm a drunk, but there's no way I'd want any type of alcohol if I haven't had a solid meal in days and I was laying directly in the sun every day. I'd rather have a jug of water.

I thought the same thing! Beer or wine is the last thing I'd want in their situation. I even said something to my husband, that they were more excited about the wine, than the actual food in a reward challenge a week or two ago. I'd be excited for soda, but not any alcholic beverage. Who wants a hangover, with no headache medicine, and no Pepsi or OJ to drink for cottonmouth?

ME!!!!

haha

Alcohol = Drama. and we have to remember its a TV show, and if they can get people to watch by telling them 'Judd DRUNK this week on survivor', or T'om DRUNK and Falls over, this week in survivor', then people will want to see it

Something else that I just thought about....Does anyone remember the Survivor when the producers allowed a native to come to the camp and show one of the teams how to find food on the island that was suitable for eating. I think it was a reward challenge they had won. The man showed them how to find greens and tubors and even showed them how to cook them. He also showed them how to fish with just a piece of string!

I was just wondering why this hasn't been done for all the shows. At least the players could eat better. Thats what I call..."living off the land!" Its better than eating snails and minnows! Yuckkk!!

I believe that was when Stephanie was on the first time. If you recall, she was very cautious about teaching what they had learned when she interacted withthe other tribe.

I agree, last week I was laying in my bed starving while they were on tv having a bbq. Ain't that a bch?

And I never understood why they give those people beer and wine for a reward. I'm a drunk, but there's no way I'd want any type of alcohol if I haven't had a solid meal in days and I was laying directly in the sun every day. I'd rather have a jug of water.

Not to harp on Stephanie, when she was on the second time, I commented repeatedly that she was eating better than we were here at home. It seems she feasted every week.

I thought they season with Scout was another time they had native show them how to climb trees and eat certain plants.

I think the food rewards have been a bit heavy handed for the past few seasons. Instead of one sit down feast, why not staple foods that could wither be eaten all at once or rationed by the tribe. Wouldn't that spark some issues?? :P

Although I don't understand the wine, besides maybe using the bottle to food prep or carrying water, I do get the beer. Sure having people drunk for a while is fun and entertaining, but beer has yeast, which helps the body feel full.

Am I missing something? I don't remember anybody getting much food and therefore thought this season was turning out to be much tougher on the challengers. The following is all I can recall.

1 Win flint for fire (older men); find a papaya tree (younger women)

2 Fishing supplies but lose spear (La Mina)

3 One small, edible fish; lantern, canisters, blankets/pillows, rope, tarp (La Mina)

4 Casa de Charmin (Casaya); eating snails; also ate a snake (shown 3/15 clips show)

5 Lots of fish, but rained out and still no water; beer/wine (Casaya)

6 Feast in a Panamanian fishing village (Casaya)

And the previews don't indicate anything for the La Mina bellies in the near future.

As far as I can see, it sucks to be them ... any of them!

I am really bad with names, but...

the older lady who was voted off started living off the land. She was eating oysters but not tellin anyone about her find. She stated she could survive on those and her tribemates would not be smart enough to find them.

I believe they get some sort of book that tells them of poisonous creatures, fish, etc., prior to leaving. This book I thought also told them things they could eat on the islands. Is that no longer happening?

I prefer them living off the land.

It be called SURVIVOR!I doona want tae see Pringles & Rootbeer! <_<

You made me laugh outloud. Not good when I'm supposed to be working. But thanks.

And I agree 100%. Remember the good old days when they were forced to eat worms, bugs, cows blood??

Ahh -- sweet nostalgia!! Or remember when they had to get nekkid for peanut butter and chocolate? Oh yea, they didin't really HAVE to did they! Remeber that guy -- Butch, or Buck or something like that..."I'm not looking... I'm not looking...." :lol::lol::lol:

Archived