American Idol Extra

Brekkie Boy

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds30127.html

I think I mentioned this here a while ago but it's been confirmed that the Fox Reality Channel will be airing a companion show after each results show.

American Idol Extra, like it's British equivalent Pop Idol Extra, will feature behind the scenes footage, interviews with the contestants and probably competitions and viewers questions etc.

I may be wrong but I think this is the first reality "companion" show on US TV, though I know Survivor and Big Brother have had shows on cbs.com

It's quite common now (virtually without exception) in the UK for most reality shows to air a companion behind the scenes / discussion show on one of the station's digital channels.

• 1 month later...

people55x23.jpg

Baby News

'Idol Extra' for Matthew Rogers

matt_rogers.jpg

Matthew Rogers

"American Idol Extra" co-host Matthew Rogers and his wife, Teri, welcomed their first child, a son. Brayden Douglas Rogers was born on Sunday, April 16. He weighed 8 lbs. and was 21 inches long. Rogers was an 'Idol' finalist on season three.

Rogers and Teri Himes, a mortgage processor, were married in February 2005 in Huntington Beach, California. Among the 300 guests was 2004 'Idol' runner-up Diana DeGarmo, who sang Shania Twain's "From This Moment On" as the bride walked down the aisle.

Rogers, a former mortgage banker and University of Washington football player, was the second of the 12 finalists to be voted off 'Idol's' third season. After his ouster, he worked as offensive line coach at Mission Viejo High School in California.

The husky crooner and aspiring actor told The Seattle Times in September that he'd gotten his weight down to about 260 lbs. "It's because of Hollywood," he joked. He now co-hosts "American Idol Extra," which airs on Thursdays on the Fox Reality cable network.

• 9 months later...

Has the American Idol Extra programme returned this year - and if so is Cat Deeley (presenter of So You Think You Can Dance) involved.

This year on the UK airings of American Idol they've added in extra segments to the US broadcast fronted by our very own Cat Deeley, doing backstage interviews with the contestants as they come off stage and when they are voted off.

It's all kind of strange how things work out too - Cat Deeley made her name fronting a UK Saturday morning kids TV show with duo Ant and Dec.

Ant and Dec left when they got their big break into primetime television fronting Pop Idol, the original UK version of Idol - and now a few years down the line, their co-host is involved in American Idol - on British screens at least.

Archived