Sign in to follow this  
nebartist

Chris Daughtry

Why do they bother with theme nights when your performance doesn't have to resemble the theme? You could watch all of Chris's performances one after another and feel you're watching the exact same thing over and over. He doesn't change anything. Everything sounds the same. I'm bored watching him. Kevin holds my attention more than Chris.

Why do they bother with theme nights when your performance doesn't have to resemble the theme? You could watch all of Chris's performances one after another and feel you're watching the exact same thing over and over. He doesn't change anything. Everything sounds the same. I'm bored watching him. Kevin holds my attention more than Chris.

yep one of my faults with chris not diverse enough. everyone else tries different singing style but him. he gets awarded for being diferent and not conforming like the others

Why does he need to be diverse? He is a rock singer. That is what he is doing. And doing it well

*points*

What they said... I get so tired of people saying that about Chris. Why would he sing differently?

Would you aka a rapper to sing country? A country singer to sing R&B? An R&B singer to sing rock?

No? Then why demand that Chris, a rocker, sing something other than that?

Theme nights are to get the contestants to pick different types of songs and to make it THEIR OWN.

That is exactly what Chris does.

But of course.. no one gets on Ace for changing up his song to be more "jazzier" to fit his style... probably b/c even when he changed it it still stunk......

But when Chris does it... THE SKY IS FALLING.... <_<

Guest QW
Sorry for reposting this but I still was interested in the answer if anyone knows.

I have a question about Chris' performances, has anyone else noticed that every time he sings they have flashing lights and all kinds of effects going? Yet I have not noticed any of those extras with anyone else. Is this favouritism on AIs part or can they request the effects?

Yes SUDS I to have noticed it......they did the same thing for BO last year, guess its a 'rocker' thing , but still kinda unfair to the others IMHO

Why does he need to be diverse? He is a rock singer. That is what he is doing. And doing it well

I was always under the impression AI was looking for the next pop singer. If he/she can crank out the rock, great. But I thought the search was for more of a musical chameleon, one who could sing rock just as well as he/she could sing a classic country or modern R&B tune. Everyone puts their own little spin on whatever genre they're singing. But I think because Chris is so good at being a rock singer, it's difficult to tell when he's differentiating from that genre, unless he goes balls-to-the-wall different. I think he's playing it safe and would like to see him "stretch" a bit. Maybe in the weeks to come, perhaps if they do a "show tunes" theme.

I was always under the impression AI was looking for the next pop singer. If he/she can crank out the rock, great. But I thought the search was for more of a musical chameleon, one who could sing rock just as well as he/she could sing a classic country or modern R&B tune. Everyone puts their own little spin on whatever genre they're singing. But I think because Chris is so good at being a rock singer, it's difficult to tell when he's differentiating from that genre, unless he goes balls-to-the-wall different. I think he's playing it safe and would like to see him "stretch" a bit. Maybe in the weeks to come, perhaps if they do a "show tunes" theme.

name me one winner since Kelly that can sing more than one genre?

name me one winner since Kelly that can sing more than one genre?

you guys are taking the diversity definition outta context. by diverse "I mean not multiple genre but style of performance slow pace, fast pace, slow tempo, fast tempo. Chris is stuck into the rocker mentality a good person that show diversity is paris week 1 she was "fantasia" like fast paced jumping off the roof.week 2 she was slow paced and in controlled. kelli is another person not diverse you dont have to be jumping off the roof everyweek. ace is not diverse , katherine mcphee is diverse. even little kevin who i hate is somewhat diverse. my definition of diverse to me is not based on how much genre you can sing but style of performance. every week doesnt have to be a rock show chris.

elliot is also not diverse.

Well UVP I do agree with you to a point even BO last year who was considered a rocker slowed it down and sang the best solo ever done on AI and he did it without music. Now that is what I call talented.

he should have won last year hands down. last year was straight screwjob by idol executives

I totally agree with you two on Bo, he's the best singer Idol EVER had (sorry Kelly lovers IMO Bo is the best)

But this was only week three, I didn't like Bo right from the hop, no one knows what Chris will bring in the future. He rocks hard and I love him, and they are looking for American Idol, when did they say they were looking for a pop star?

Not being a verra big fan o' b-boppy teenie poppin music I'm lovin Chris's music.I rather feel the idol is chosen by not only the type o' music he/she puts oot....but wha's popular & in demand.I feel his music.I see someone like Lisa wo' be found on the Mickey Mouse club!I loved Bo's voice & style tae!I'm hopin tha' lad wins!

... So Chris likes to rock up whatever he sings -- so what? I thought last night his performance was "da bomb" -- loved it! It was sooooo different than what any of the others could have come up with compared to the original song. If he had sang it just like Johnny Cash did, then someone would have been crying because he was doing a karoke version.

First let me say that I really like Chris but not necessarily above all others. However, I think there are two issues to consider.

First, favoritism. All other contestants get called on for not stepping out of their comfort zone. This was a key criticism for those eliminated from the top 24. Why not Chris? Yes, he did some good a capella early on, but I think we need to see ANY other style. My biggest reason? I'm not sure of the true voice behind him any more. It's all lights and flash. I give bigger kudos to someone like Ace for standing vocally naked each week, even if I hear a few bad notes.

Second, professional honesty. In all fairness, it may not be so much Chris' fault as that of a poor edit during his visit-with-Manilow time. That version of "I Walk the Line" was done several years ago by a lesser known, semi-hard-rock group known as "Live." The reason I quoted 'mo' (above) is because that impression has now filtered throughout the country. "Chris took that song and made it his own." No. Chris didn't. Chris copied a great interpretation that he knew he could deliver. That's okay, as long as he makes it CLEAR when the judges fawn over it the way they did. Again I give better kudos to Ace -- I think that really was his own interpretation. (Who else would do that falsetto ending?)

So, would you guess that my favorites are Mandisa and Tyler? Okay, so I'm older. Sue me.

p.s. And Chris still reminds me of Eric the midget from BB. At about 5'7" he's not that much taller than Crappy, but much, much sexier!

Chris did nothing more than a karoke performance of Live's version of "Walk The Line". I wish everyone would stop acting like he's the second coming of Christ himself. I think everyone thinks they have to like Chris or else they're not cool. I just don't see what's special about him. And yes, I'm older too. But my CD collection is very current. Taylor has captured my attention this time around but I'd like to see him perform a little closer to his audition.

My family and I had discussed whether that was his own original version or not, so I'm thankful to you answered the question for us. We had been really impressed thinking that he had written it, but now....well, you let the wind out of the sail, so to speak! Anyway, it shows you how clever the judges are...I'm sure they knew that but Simon's comments made it seem like it was Chris's own. It really is interesting to see how they tend to try and manipulate the general audience towards who they would like to see continue.

I still really like Chris and he is definitely not bland, but I still am rooting for Taylor (despite his recent mediocre performance) and Mandisa at this point

Diversity is over-rated, I think. If you can find a song in the songbooks aI of offering, and sing it as rock or blues, or whatever is it that you need to do to sing well, then I think that's fair game. If your constant rock or blues (or whatever) delivery all sounds the same and begins to bore your audience, then a whole album of yours won't do well, but that doesn't have to be the result just because it's all the same genre. Personally, I'm always happy to have a little rock in the show.

I'm glad they finally let rockers go far. They gave Patrick such a hard time about a rocker on AI so I was worried about Constantine (who was my faves in tryouts), to see Bo go to second was great and I hope Chris wins it.

He--he--he---Right. In an earlier post I tried to credit "The Band" with doing the arrangement of "I Walk the Line" that Chris did, rather then the band "Live".

The reason that I mention that is because on several media and news outlets they're complaining that "Live" was not credited, and then blaming Chris for it.

First, an arrangement can not be copyrighted, to my knowledge. Only a song can be copyrighted, by it's composer.

Second, while it's true that Red Hot Chili Peppers were credited with the arrangement of the song Chris did last week, If my memory is right, it was Randy that mentioned it. I could be wrong. Chris is under no obligation to credit arrangements that were done by other artists. It would be nice if SOMEBODY did, but for all we know, Chris did mention it. His session with Barry was cut off after he said "I want to do something different"----it then skipped to a part of the session itself. If it's necessary out of professional courtesy for an arrangement to be credited, AI should be on top of it. It's their call and their responsibility. Let's not throw Chris under the bus for it.

The only problem I've had with Chris the last couple of weeks is that when he's stuck to his rock style through tweaking the genres and themes, he's complimented for "being the only performer who refuses to sell out". Which is commendable, except that when other performers do the same thing, they're criticized for "playing it safe" or "not taking a chance".

I think the arrangement thing is a "mountain in a molehill" . Yet during 50's week, Katherine did "Come Rain or Come Shine" which I believe was copyrighted and first recorded in 1946. Is this Katherine's fault? Of course not. AI knew what everybody was planning to do, and they let it slide. Doesn't really matter. She sang it great-----

Other than Ace and that little chick with the long curly hair, Chris has the worst voice.....no depth...goes off all the time. What are those judges hearing? or is it my TV....He totally sux!

JMHO

:P

I think Chris is just awesome. I hope he wins this season. I sit and watch all the performers, and so far he is the only one that grabs my attention and sends chills up my spine. :P

He--he--he---Right. In an earlier post I tried to credit "The Band" with doing the arrangement of "I Walk the Line" that Chris did, rather then the band "Live".

The reason that I mention that is because on several media and news outlets they're complaining that "Live" was not credited, and then blaming Chris for it.

First, an arrangement can not be copyrighted, to my knowledge. Only a song can be copyrighted, by it's composer.

Second, while it's true that Red Hot Chili Peppers were credited with the arrangement of the song Chris did last week, If my memory is right, it was Randy that mentioned it. I could be wrong. Chris is under no obligation to credit arrangements that were done by other artists. It would be nice if SOMEBODY did, but for all we know, Chris did mention it. His session with Barry was cut off after he said "I want to do something different"----it then skipped to a part of the session itself. If it's necessary out of professional courtesy for an arrangement to be credited, AI should be on top of it. It's their call and their responsibility. Let's not throw Chris under the bus for it.

The only problem I've had with Chris the last couple of weeks is that when he's stuck to his rock style through tweaking the genres and themes, he's complimented for "being the only performer who refuses to sell out". Which is commendable, except that when other performers do the same thing, they're criticized for "playing it safe" or "not taking a chance".

I think the arrangement thing is a "mountain in a molehill" . Yet during 50's week, Katherine did "Come Rain or Come Shine" which I believe was copyrighted and first recorded in 1946. Is this Katherine's fault? Of course not. AI knew what everybody was planning to do, and they let it slide. Doesn't really matter. She sang it great-----

I don't think it matters. To me, making it "your own" does insinuate that you added your own style instead of singing it in the style of the artist who made it famous, yes. But Chris isn't the one who said he made it his own.... HE simply sang the version that best suited his style of singing, the version that stayed within his comfort zone and allowed him to stay true to who he is. How can that be wrong? I like him, but I don't think he will win.

I think Chris is taking advantage of the judges admiration. For the second week in a row Chris has only given a sly smile as the judges praised him for being "original" knowing all along neither song was his arrangement. Chris didn't agree or disagree that the arrangements he sang were his original interpertations. Chris has now sang The Red Hot Chili Peppers original arrangement and the group LIVE's original arrangement. You can not fault Chris. Why should he stand there in front of 3 million people and say "Randy, you are wrong. or Simon, you don't know your music as well as you think you

do."

Actually,when there be this much controversy aboot one o' the AI's.......it generally shows a greater chance o' his/her winning.Hmmmmmmmmmm

I found this article that elaborates on the 'controversy' but I agree that they seem to making more out of this than there actually exists. I'm not a huge Chris fan but it was a really good song selection and rendition for his voice. He didn't present it to the judges as 'original' so I don't see where he misrepresented himself. I guess either way, it's all 'good TV' and publicity for the show (not that it needs any help in the ratings department) LOL!

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

A Live Mistake for 'Idol' Favorite?

by Natalie Finn

115450__chris_l.jpg

Chris Daughtry

Holy Cowell, that sounds familiar! Fans were ready to make American Idol frontrunner Chris Daughtry walk the plank after hearing him sing an oddly familiar-sounding rendition of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" Tuesday night.

Daughtry, 26, who has risen quickly through the 'Idol' ranks with his gravelly alt-rock voice and emotive performances, sang a slow, brooding version of the Cash classic during the '50s-themed episode, reaping his usual accolades from judges Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell. (The video can be found at YouTube.com.)

The impressed trio praised Daughtry for his originality and taking the song and making it his own. Cowell, who has come up surprisingly short with nah-sty remarks regarding Daughtry, told him that he was the only contestant on the show, ever, who "refused to compromise."

Chris-Daughtry-3.jpg

Chris Daughtry

But 'Idol' fans quickly took to their chat rooms after the episode aired, saying that they could swear they knew that "original" arrangement of "I Walk the Line" from somewhere--and not from the Joaquin Phoenix-starring biopic.

As it turns out, Daughtry was doing a spot-on rendition of Live's 2001 cover of "I Walk the Line," featured on the album "Good Rockin' Tonight: The Legacy of Sun Records" and included on the band's 2004 greatest hits compilation, "Awake: The Best of Live."

So, Jackson, Abdul and Cowell got part of it right--Daughtry sounded great--but the song was far from his own. And although critics have been chastising the 'Idol' contestant for not attributing his performance to Live during the telecast, perhaps the "my bad" this time around belongs to the judges for not being up on their rock music.

chris_ai.jpg

Chris Daughtry

Angry messages posted in 'Idol' message boards ranged from, "This guy is a rip off," to "Live singer Ed Kowalczyk called and said that he would like his vocal style" back. There has also been speculation among fans, according to MTV News, that Daughtry may have given a shout-out to the band during his preshow interview but that the mention got edited out.

"I think it's more a sign of the judges being out of touch or the show's producers deliberately trying to fool the public," Jacob Clifton, who covers 'Idol' for TelevisionWithoutPity.com, told MTV News in an interview. "The fact is, Chris should not be blamed for using the arrangements that he does."

Kimberly Caldwell, a second-season finalist and host of TV Guide Channel's weekly show, "Idol Tonight" sided with Daughtry, as well. "We're doing cover songs, so leave it alone," she said. Considering how difficult it would be for Daughtry--or anyone--to slip one over like that past the 30 million-strong audience that tunes into "American Idol" each week, our money is on the misunderstanding.

On the March 14 episode that had each contestant offering up a Stevie Wonder tune, Daughtry sang "Higher Ground," which has also been covered by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And Daughtry didn't hide the fact that he was leaning more toward the Chili Peppers' version, prominently crediting the band during his pre-performance montage.

But others feel that Daughtry should be quicker on the draw the next time someone compliments his unique style. "He definitely should not have taken credit for the arrangement or allowed people to praise his originality," David Bloomberg, editor of RealityNewsOnline.com, told MTV. "He stood onstage and let the judges talk about how he made it his own when he really did nothing of the sort."

Maybe the customer service rep turned burgeoning superstar has been stunned into silence each week by the niceties pouring forth from Simon.

Whether this flash of negativity will hurt Daughtry's future success (it probably can only be good for ratings) remains to be seen. You can bet that whichever song the North Carolina native chooses next week when 'Idol's' theme shifts to songs from the 21st century, he'll be sure to give credit where credit's due.

Daughtry is currently one of three North Carolinians left, along with Kelly Pickler and Bucky Covington, who barely escaped elimination Wednesday after singing a so-so version of Buddy Holly's "Oh Boy." The final 10 take the stage Tuesday night, with the winner to be announced on May 24.

Sign in to follow this