Top Chef

Dade

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I can't join everyone in rooting for Marcel but he really lost me with the the addition of the chemicals to his food. Sorry but the show is called Top Chef not Top Chemist. If I want Xanthum gum in my food I can go down to the grocery store and pick any premade food for that.

Nemille wrote:

Sorry I can't join everyone in rooting for Marcel but he really lost me with the the addition of the chemicals to his food. Sorry but the show is called Top Chef not Top Chemist. If I want Xanthum gum in my food I can go down to the grocery store and pick any premade food for that

I can see your point about the chemicals but many world renown chefs use chemicals in their foods such as Xanthum gum and taste enhancers like MSG. Gum paste is used by world renown pastry chefs for cakes too. So it's pretty much inescapeable in everything we eat unless you eat at strictly organic restaurants.

I really think a Marcel vs Sam finale would have been better for ratings and I could stomach a Sam win more than I could an Ilan win but in the end I hope Marcel wins based on what he cooks and not because he acted the most mature out of this bunch of childish grownups. I'm still dumbfounded with Elia's behavior at the end and it continues in a lot of her interviews. She's talented, but really needs to learn to take criticism constructively and not personally.

Nemille, please don't confuse me with someone who is really cheering for Marcel. My comments were a sad attempt at sarcasm. I can't stand the little twit and am in no way in his corner! I'd take Sam's fresh fruit salad from the TGIF challenge over Marcel's Elmer's glue pineapple poy pud sifght unseen.

From the previews for next week from YahooTV and Bravo the sous chefs arrived in Hawaii to be part of the finale. If you don't want to know and wait til next weeks show than STOP READING NOW..MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD

Marcel's team will consist of Sam, who selected to work with him, and Mike who selected to work for Ilan.

Ilan's Team will consist of Betty and Elia..... both selected him.

Those not chosen were Frank and Mia. Frank selected to work with Marcel and Mia selected Ilan.

Personally I think Marcel has the better team.

Stephen , Thank for the head up for next weeks show. Still can not understand the thought process, for one challenge, how Marcel ended up in the finale. He was always on the losing team, correct me if I am wrong, one only one challenge, was extremely immature in the kitchen. I realize it it a cooking challenge, but for the judges not have Sam in the finals is outrageous.

I am thinking Marcel was threating to sue the show, for bing attacked, this is his reward for not doing so, Please give some other explanation for Marcel for being in the finals. I thought it was said that a top chef not only has his cooking skills, but is the leader of the team. I am still in shock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

gizzmotor wrote:

Stephen , Thank for the head up for next weeks show. Still can not understand the thought process, for one challenge, how Marcel ended up in the finale. He was always on the losing team, correct me if I am wrong, one only one challenge, was extremely immature in the kitchen. I realize it it a cooking challenge, but for the judges not have Sam in the finals is outrageous.

I am thinking Marcel was threating to sue the show, for bing attacked, this is his reward for not doing so, Please give some other explanation for Marcel for being in the finals. I thought it was said that a top chef not only has his cooking skills, but is the leader of the team. I am still in shock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Actually Marcel had two quickfire wins and was on the winning team on two elimination challenges and was in the bottom at the judges table (JT) twice.

Elia had two elimination challenge wins and 0 quickfire wins at was at the bottom at the JT twice.

Sam had one elimination challenge win but was in the top 3 times. He also was on the bottom and at JT twice. Sam had 5 quickfire wins.

Ilan had two Elimination Challenge wins and was at the bottom JT once and had 1 quickfire win.

I think that's accurate.

I think what hurt Sam was when Chef Tom stated at the JT "He didn't cook anything..this is a cooking competition". Guest Chef Wong who seemed he was leaning towards Sam as the 2nd place winner in the challenge then stated "I really didn't think about that he didn't cook anything, that kinda made me think a little different", which makes me believe he switched his vote to Ilan.

Marcel won the challenge outright and Sam has conceded that in interviews so Marcel's advancement IMO didn't have anything to do with threatning to sue. Sam just thought he would be the 2nd person to go. So it seems his safe approach hurt him in Chef Tom's opinions. I knew Elia was finished when she didn't follow the directions correctly. Elia has always done what Elia wanted to do regardless of what was asked of her..and in the end it was her downfall. Plus Ilan was the only one that didn't do a poke(raw fish) dish and actually used pork. Kinda like last year with the three lamb dishes and Dave used beef and Mac-n cheese and was able to advance over LeeAnn.

In the end you need to pull all the stops and I thought Marcel and Ilan did exactly what was asked in the challenge. I think the outcome was correct IMO.

As far as immaturity in the kitchen..well Marcel wasn't the the only one. I guess I was seeing something different than you because I felt they all had their time to shine as an immature idiot in the kitchen...especially Ilan. I liked Sam at the beginning started disliking him when he became a snitch and instigator ( being a teacher just a pet peave of mine) so I too was shocked when he was eliminated considering he seemed a judges favorite. After the shock I was happy with the outcome. May the best Chef win. Hopefully Marcel.

I listened to some of Elia's 'chow' interview. The comments she is receiving from people are quite harsh, IMO. I can understand why some people don't like her, but she did have some valid points. She said she was surprised that no one really monitered their behavior in the kitchen. And that that is part of being a 'top chef'. They would always say 'it's about the food', but there are other aspects to being a 'top chef'. I do agree that some sounds like sour grapes, but I don't think she was all wrong in being disappointed with the way they ran the show. You kn-- the food might be great, but if you don't know how to manage people, or if you're licking your fingers, or something gross all the time, are you really 'top chef' material?

I'm no chef, and not really sure what it's all entails, but she did make some sense to me.

An article from laeater.com has release a spoiler for the Top Chef Winner.

Possible Spoiler for Top Chef Winner...Do Not Click Link If You Don't Want To Know

http://la.eater.com/archives/2007/01/26/to...oiler_alert.php

If you are going to discuss the spoiler please put a warning at the beginning of your post as not to ruin the show for those that want to see it unfold next week. Thanks

Stephen, Thank you for the update on the challenges, and who won what and how many times.

With not being there to taste the dishes, it is really hard to tell whos food was the best. I guess the rest is interprative according to personalities plays into this reality show.

Your welcome everyone.

Now for a great spoiler.........

SPOILER DISCUSSION ABOUT FINALE STOP READING IF YOU DON"T WANT TO BE SPOILED

Well it seems the folks a Food and Wine Magazine really screwed up badly. For about an hour today they released the name of the winner of Top Chef as well as the interview......the winner ...is indeed Ilan. I guess it took about an hour before the webmaster realized the mistake and the article was removed. Hmmmmmm I wonder how much trouble he's gonna be in?

Message boards have been buzzing about the error and the potential winner of Top Chef.

Speculation has been going on this week about Ilan's my space page with the song "Money in the Bank" as his default song was in fact a tip off that he'd won. I guess it's true.

If these spoilers do hold to be true than that means Ilan will be $100,000 richer and Marcel $10,000 richer for second place.

They could be trying to throw viewers off..but I highly doubt it especially now with the Food and Wine article about the winner being prematurely released.

****************POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW.............WARNING*************************

Well it looks as though Food and Wine may be trying to cover up for their mistake yesterday by releasing a new article with Marcel as the winner. Read Here:

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/bravos...lls-all-marcel/

Yesterdays article declaring Ilan winner is now back up and can be read here: http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/bravos...tells-all-ilan/

I'm confused! I have a feeling that Ilan is indeed the winner and just threw out the Marcel article to cover up their huge mistake from yesterday. Or does Marcel still have a chance to win???? I guess we will all find out tomorrow.

looking forward to the final show, tonight, I hope it is not a disappointment. The rest of the show was, I think the producers edited the show to take away the art of cooking and repaced it with too much personalities. That is what happens to so many of the reality based shows, what drew people to them in the first place. I am more interested in watching them with the creative side of cooking, not who is the biggest loser.

Well Ilan won Top Chef! Even though the judges seemed more impresses with Marcel's concept and skill. It came down to who was a "better chef at the moment".

Personally I really can't stand Ilan, but he does spanish food well (according to the judges) and used that strength to win. However in the long run it seems they see Marcel as the stronger of the two. Marcel was disorganized and may have been his downfall.

So ends season 2. Can't wait for season 3 and a whole new crop of chefs. Hopefully more mature and better chefs.

Marcel and Ilan's chow.com interviews can be heard at http://www.chow.com/stories/10435

Marcel was an invited audience member on "The View" yesterday and he seemed quite the normal type. He seemed friendly and very unassuming when answering questions. The ladies felt so bad about how he had been treated especially about the 'hair cutting' incident that they gave him a set of professional chef knives in their own carrying case. They said they might be inviting him back to do a cooking segment on the show in the future.

After rewatching the final I still don't know how Marcel could say to the judges that his team, mainly Sam, was unmotivated to work with him but Sam helped create the make-up dish which was the judges favorite.

Besides, the only reason Marcel chose Sam was to rub Sam's face in the fact that Sam was still out of the game.

I so agree with you regarding Sam. However, I feel he chose Sam because he knew Sam was the best chef for the job . . . BUT what was Marcel thinking when he chose Mike? Mike wasn't even motivated in his own cooking competition let alone anyone else's chances to win. I found Mike to be the laziest and least motivated among all the chefs in this cycle.

AND, he stated he didn't want to work with Marcel. Why didn't he choose another chef who wanted to work with him? I know there weren't many but there were other choices. I felt Marcel lost the challenge in his choice of Mike as the second sous chef.

I felt Sam did everything he could to assist Marcel without prejudice, malice or any sign of sour grapes. Sam even seemed to keep things together with Marcel almost lost his focus. However, Mike's lackadaisical approach and less than effective eye for detail could have been one of the reason's Marcel lost in the end.

To Marcel's credit, he took full responsibility when asked about it on "The View." He said as the main Chef, it was ultimately his responsibility to make sure he had certain ingredients no matter how much he put certain systems in place with his sous chefs. Perhaps Marcel has learned his lesson in the long run.

Marcel seemed like an entire different person in his personal appearance on "The View." He didn't appear stressed or egomanical in the least. He was calm, soft-spoken and gracious. I almost didn't recognize the attitude. So, if he learned something about human nature and treating people better then perhaps his experience was not in vain.

Mike wasn't even motivated in his own cooking competition let alone anyone else's chances to win. I found Mike to be the laziest and least motivated among all the chefs in this cycle.

But for some reason...I liked Mike the most, on a personal level.

Once again, we are in agreement. He wasn't my favorite but he did manage to bring a smile to my face often with his quirky sense of humor. I just didn't think he was the right fit for Marcel's final team challenge. However, in the end, it was Marcel's choice and he had to live with the results of his sous chef selection.

I thought Mike's assessment of the overall team dynamic was spot on. In the prep kitchen, they worked well together and tasks seemed to flow effectively. However, when they left the prep kitchen to the final challenge, leadership seemed lacking and the team dynamic appeared to have broken down. Marcel seems excellent in creating dishes but leading a kitchen staff may not be his forte.

I was actually shocked that Sam didn't make it into the final competition. I really thought it was going to be between Sam and Marcel and I would have chosen Sam to win it all based on his performance during the series. What does everyone else think? Who would you have seen as your "Top Chef" in the finale?

From the beginning, I thought the show was gearing for a Sam v Cliff finale. I thought they were 1 & 2 on quickfire and elim challenges. I still think Cliff got a raw deal, but what are you going to do?

All and all, I liked Betty, too. I really wanted to see more of Mia's skills and thought she would have made an awesome run at the final 4...

I was not a big fan of Mike, but if you listen to the CHOW interview with Marcel that Stephen so kindly linked us to, you will see that Marcel had nothing but good things to say about him. In Marcel's opinion, Mike turned out to be an excellent choice, calling him a real workhorse in the kitchen. I don't think he was quite as gracious about Sam. Sam, Imo, saved Marcel's behind when he came up with the alternative after the great fish disappearance of Season 2.

This was Sam's contest to lose, and he lost it to ratings and TV drama.

• 3 months later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

'Queer Eye,' All-Stars Stir Up 'Top Chef'

The food competition heats up in Miami

May 8, 2007

29641701.jpg

Ted Allen, 'Top Chef 3 Miami'

This summer, Bravo is getting a culinary makeover.

"Queer Eye's" Ted Allen will joing the panel of judges for "Top Chef 3 Miami," which premieres Wednesday, June 13. Besides starring on the Emmy Award-winning "Queer Eye," Allen makes appearances as a judge on "Iron Chef America," is the author of "The Food You Want to Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes" and is the host/narrator of the upcoming PBS summer show, "Uncorked: Wine Made Simple."

Padma Lakshmi will return as host, alongside fellow returning judges Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons.

But first, Bravo will provide a tasty amuse-bouche in the form of "Top Chef: 4-Star All-Stars" a week before on June 6, 10:00 p.m. ET/PT. As the name implies, the hour-long special will feature chefs from the first two seasons of the reality show in a $20,000 charity cook-off.

The Season One team consists of winner Harold Dieterle, Stephen Asprinio, Tiffani Faison, and Dave Martin, all of whom will throw down with Season Two winner Ilan Hall, Sam Talbot, Elia Aboumrad, and the puffily coiffed molecular gastronomist Marcel Vigneron. The cook-off concludes with the two teams serving their meals to "Top Chef 3 Miami's" 15 new chefs.

The latest crop of chefs mainly hails from New York, California and Texas, with one lone Chicagoan thrown in for spice. Following is the breakdown of the "Top Chef 3" Miami contestants:

Brian, 34 - San Diego, Calif.

Camille, 34 - Brooklyn, N.Y.

Casey, 29 - Dallas, Texas

Chris, 31 - Venice, Calif.

Clay, 27 - Santa Barbara, Calif.

Dale, 33 - Chicago, Ill.

Howie, 31 - Miami, Fla.

Hung, 29 - Las Vegas, Nev.

Joey, 29 - Franklin Square, N.Y.

Lia, 28 - Brooklyn, N.Y.

Micah, 33 - Boca Raton, Fla.

Sandee, 39