Top Chef

Dade

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Courtesy of: NBC UNIVERSAL MEDIA VILLAGE

BRAVO'S "TOP CHEF" SERVES UP FIFTEEN OF THE NATION'S HOTTEST RISING CHEFS WITH ITS SEASON TWO PREMIERE ON WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 18 AT 11 P.M. ET/PT, FOLLOWING THE THIRD SEASON FINALE OF "PROJECT RUNWAY"

Published: August 30, 2006

NUP_101362_0857rf.jpg

SERIES MOVES TO ITS REGULAR 10 P.M. TIMESLOT ON WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 25

ACTRESS AND AWARD-WINNING WRITER PADMA LAKSHMI JOINS SERIES AS HOST; TOM COLICCHIO RETURNS AS HEAD CHEF/JUDGE; GAIL SIMMONS OF FOOD AND WINE IS BACK AS A REGULAR SERIES JUDGE

NEW YORK - August 29, 2006 - Bravo serves up the second season of its hit culinary competition series "Top Chef" on Wednesday, October 18 at 11:00 p.m., following "Project Runway's" third season finale. "Top Chef' moves into its regular 10:00 p.m. timeslot on Wednesday, October 25. The announcement was made today by Lauren Zalaznick, President, Bravo.

"Top Chef" debuted last March as a new reality competition program to critical and ratings success, earning the title of the highest rated food show on cable so far this year among Adults 18-49 and 25-54.

Bravo introduces a new crop of fifteen of the country's most impressive rising chefs in the second season, all wanting to follow in the footsteps of season one winner, Harold Dieterle, who plans to open his Manhattan restaurant, Perilla, later this year.

"We're excited to present a new season of our newest hit 'Top Chef,' which will have all of the rivalries and dramatic entertainment Bravo viewers have come to expect with our competitive reality shows," said Zalaznick.

"This season the stakes are even higher as the title of 'Top Chef' holds true meaning for these talented chefs, who are eager for this opportunity to make a name for themselves in the competitive culinary world," said Frances Berwick, Executive Vice President, Programming & Production, Bravo.

Known as the first Indian supermodel, actress and award-winning writer Padma Lakshmi joins the second season as host of "Top Chef," introducing the challenges to the contestants and sitting at the judges' table each week. Lakshmi is currently working on her second cookbook for Miramax Books due in Spring 2007, a culinary endeavor of over 150 recipes from around the world and intriguing personal memoirs. This is a follow up to her successful first cookbook, "Easy Exotic," for which she won the International Versailles Event for best cookbook by a first time writer. Lakshmi hosted "Padma's Passport" on The Food Network, cooking diverse and low-fat cuisine based on her best selling book, "Easy Exotic." Lakshmi also hosted the documentary series "Planet Food" for The Food Network and worldwide Discovery Channel, in which she journeyed the world for exotic cuisine.

Tom Colicchio, one of the culinary world's most celebrated figures and co-founder of New York City's Gramercy Tavern and Craft Restaurants, returns as Head Chef/Judge for the new season, guiding the chefs through the challenges and demanding that they perform only at their best. Food expert and tough critic Gail Simmons of Food & Wine magazine also returns as a regular judge for the series. In addition, each week will feature a special guest judge, some of the most respected figures in the culinary industry.

The second season also features a glitzy new backdrop - the city of Los Angeles. The contestants will reside in the city's culturally burgeoning downtown area, where most of the season's production activity will be centered.

The "Top Chef" season two chefs are:

• 5 weeks later...

Meet the Chefs......

TC_bio_elia.gif

Elia Aboumrad

Hometown: Mexico City; Currently resides in Las Vegas, NV

Profession: Assistant Room Chef at The Hotel

Education: Ecole Lenotre, Paris

Elia is a Latin firecracker with a background that can compete with some of the best chefs in the country. She has earned 34 different culinary degrees and specializes in everything from French cuisine to chocolate making.

Elia learned in some of the toughest kitchens in Europe and even trained under the famed chef Joel Robuchon. Although people will think she is young and naive, she is an incredibly intelligent, creative and innovative young chef. It is no wonder that Elia's favorite movie is "Forrest Gump," a story of a boy who goes through struggles only to become one of the most self made men in America. Elia relates to this story, as in her past she struggled in the kitchen, but now she is a contestant in one of the most respected cooking competitions on television.

TC_bio_otto.gif

Otto Borsich

Hometown: Vermilion, OH; Currently resides in Las Vegas, NV

Profession: Chef Instructor at the Culinary Institute of Las Vegas

Education: Self-taught

Signature Dish: Hot and Raw Tuna

After not making it on "Top Chef" during the first season, Otto didn't give up and came back to convince everyone that he deserves a spot on this show. Growing up in a large family with Italian and Hungarian roots, Otto could always be found in the kitchen with his mother and grandmother, learning the ropes of the trade. As a kid, he could transform all of the leftovers of the family meals into something different. Saying he learned to cook in the "school of hard knocks," he worked up the ranks and now is giving back to students at the Las Vegas Culinary Institute.

Otto wants vindication and says that at his age, it is his time to shine. He is relentless, passionate, a little crazy, and ready to teach the young chefs how it is done. As the oldest contestant, Otto is also one of the most interesting. He is a pirate at heart and once served as a cook onboard a nuclear submarine.

TC_bio_marisa.gif

Marisa Churchill

Hometown: San Francisco, CA

Profession: Executive Pastry Chef, AME

Education: C.C.A. and C.I.A Greystone

Signature Dish: Black currant tea cr

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Top Chef

by Bettina Charles

Season 2 Coming Soon!

OK guys! I hope there are Top Chef fans out there. Next Wednesday the 18th after the Project Runway Season 3 finale, the next season of Top Chef begins on Bravo. Let me just say I'm really excited that it's back on the air and can't wait to start watercoolering it.

Posted by Tina Charles 10/12/06 2:03 PM

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

New Top Chef host turned down the job for season one

Padma Lakshmi, the new host for the second season of Top Chef, may be rescuing us from Katie Lee Joel

Ok here we go with the new season. Hard to tell who I like and dislike. So far it's looking like Sam is the Harold of last season and Marcel may be the new Tiffinay. Marcel really is rubbing the other chefs the wrong way, but survived the first show. Suyai just sucked. This poor girl had no confident whatsoever....she really deserved to get the first boot and she did.

I have to honestly say the chef that I find really annoying is Ilan. He seems most threatened by Marcel and seems to butt heads with him in future episodes.

We'll see how it starts to shape up the next few weeks. So far... not bad. Padma as host seems alright, definitely better than the last seasons host whose name I have already forgotten.

..looks like Anthony Bourdain will be on an upcoming episode. Can't wait to see that one.

lol..Yes I'm also glad that the old host is gone. She was horrible. Marcel seems to be the Sam from the Apprentice of this show. What's up with his Grinch hair-do? None of the food looked good, I guess because of the ingredients that they had to use...frogs legs, peanuts, etc

Top Chef

by Bettina Charles

October 18, 2006: The Liver Was Like, "Hello, I'm a Liver."

I was kind of depressed after finding out who won Project Runway, so right about now I really wish I had some of Mia's Southern fried comfort food to keep me company. Aside from that, it's such a good thing that Top Chef is back for Season 2. A new host, new parameters for our man Tom Callichio and Season 1 winner Harold all made for a good episode. Not quite sure if I'm going to dig these finalists as much as I enjoyed last season's dysfunctional group, but I'm willing to reserve judgment and make that call at a later date.

Topics of discussion:

-Is Marcel the new Stephen?

-What do you think of Padma?

Right off the bat, it seems like Marcel has that arrogant, cocky thing going for him. He doesn't have that upturned nose and "does something smell" expression on his face that was just so Stephen, but he's already seeing himself as the resident threat. Give him a little time and he'll be lecturing everyone on the benefits of being a sommelier and the origins of the turnip. By the way, during Season 1, I wasn't a big fan of Stephen's, but I grew to love him. I think it was because of that reunion episode!

As for Padma: I say, Mrs. Joel who? Sorry, I just really thought Padma brought some life to the festivities, not to mention the fact that she's drop-dead gorgeous. Tom's ditched the mentor duties, I think. I say "I think" because even though he's now strictly the head judge, he still seems like he's trying to do a little mentoring. Bringing back Harold as guest judge was very cool. He looked a little bit nervous, but he contributed to the conversation and the critiques.

Let's talk about the contestants. Apparently, there's no one in the Midwest suitable enough to compete for the title of Top Chef. Everyone worked in New York, California or Las Vegas, with only Carlos branching out and doing his chef thing in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. What's up with that? So far, Mia, Betty, Frank, Ilan and Emily (along with that constant sour look on her face) are impressing me. However, I'm sure my assessment will change every week. We got our first drunken finalist (Michael); our first crash and burn (Suyai); and that Marisa girl. It's Episode 1 and already she's yakking about how she will use her sexuality to her advantage. Boo. Save that for The Bachelor or Hell's Kitchen. We don't need that on Top Chef; you just need to be able to cook. We also get the first declaration of not being here to make friends, but being here for the food (Marcel). I'm sure we'll get the "I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to win" variation next week.

Quickfire challenge (winner gets immunity): Create a flamb

Well goodbye Otto, you dumb a$$. Didn't he realize stealing groceries would have pretty serious ramifications. That whole lecture about honesty and fair play from Marrissa was nauseating. If she was so honest why didn't she bring it up the Lychees wasn't paid for when they were at the grocery store. She waited to spill the beans when they were all cooking. I guess it worked in her favor as her disasterous rubber dessert was overshadowed by Otto's leaving on his own accord, though he probably would have gotten the boot anyway.

Looks like next week Michael becomes Mr. Obnoxious..looks pretty funny from the preview.

Top Chef

by Bettina Charles

October 25, 2006: Lychee-gate

To keep the lychees or to return them? That is the question. Part of me (the evil part of me) was thinkin' Otto's mistake was telling Marisa they may have accidentally pocketed the crate of lychees for free in the first place. Before we get into the nitty-gritty of this scandal, I have to say I've never heard the word "lychee" uttered so many times in a one-hour period; it was positively dizzying. And is it "lee-chay" or "lye-chee"? Since Otto was the only one committing to "lye-chee," I'm gonna go with everyone else. Anyway, yes, it was a problem that Otto's conscience didn't let him return the goods immediately. But am I the only one who really, really hoped it'd be Marisa who'd get the boot? By the end of the episode, I was almost willing to overlook Otto's lapse in judgment in order for her to "pack her knives and go." Her crimes: 1) her not taking complete responsibility for her gelatinous disaster of a dessert (when Chef Ming Tsai called it "a hockey puck," I laughed so hard); 2) her twisting Otto's words to make them seem even more damning; and 3) that smuggy-smuggerson look on her face when Otto was confronted with his mishandling of the situation. Sure, the producers may have used a little creative editing and snuck that smugshot (new word) in there, but at one point she had that look on her face. And for that, I wanted her gone. Harsh? Maybe. It took him longer than it should have, but at least Otto finally came around and took responsibility for what he did; I was a bit shocked he took himself out of the competition. I may have been misreading this, but it seemed like Tom had it out for Marisa and her dessert. Bet he was ready to eliminate her.

Quickfire Challenge: Make Sushi in 30 Minutes

Winner: Cliff

This was such a difficult challenge. Beyond difficult. I take my hat off to Michael for creating a dish even though he had never prepared sushi before. I was totally impressed with all the wannabe top chefs for making their dishes look good and, for many of them, taste good, too. All this activity came after an obscenely early 4:30 am wake-up call and a trip to the fish market. Josie was two for two in this episode. She said sushi was "her thing" and she was well versed in the ways of Vietnamese food (see Elimination Challenge). Frank knew the proper way to greet guest judge Chef Hiroshi Shima, who's the Corporate Executive Chef for Katana and Sushi Roku

I'm glad Otto's gone, but I wish the woman who tattled on him would have gone instead. She bothers me for some reason. Like someone else said, she waited to long to bring up the situation. And what about the other guy who messed up the rice? You're a chef and can't cook rice? He should have gone too. I think the team lead for the winning team should have won the prize, but the Suzanne Somers looking chick was the nicest so she won..oh well.

The dishes so far this season have not made my stomach growl yet. I think it's the choices that the chefs are given that's making the menu sort of unappealing.

Marrissa was nauseating............. I guess it worked in her favor as her disasterous rubber dessert was overshadowed by Otto's leaving on his own accord, though he probably would have gotten the boot anyway.

I thought I heard one of the judges say that if Otto steps up and takes responsibility for the incident, Marrissa would be the one to go......Otto not only stepped up, he stepped up and withdrew.

wash ur face wrote

but the Suzanne Somers looking chick was the nicest so she won..oh well

omg I knew she reminded me of someone and my wife and I couldn't figure it out...Suzanne Summers..that was it. Thanks.

Top Chef

by Bettina Charles

November 1, 2006: Spicy Ketcherella and Cravable Comfort Food

How 'bout that judges table, huh? That's what I'd call a rough session, brutal even. Plus, a line between the comfort-food experts and the fine-dining experts seems to be materializing. Last week, the comfort- fooders had a tough time with the sushi challenge; this week, the fine-diners are nervous because it's time to make some ice cream and a dish fit for TGI Friday's customers. But, a Top Chef must be diverse and, basically, be the entire package. So, whether it's food for the masses or food for the so-called "elite," these chefs need to know how to bring it every time. Advantage: repeat challenge-winners Cliff and Betty.

Quickfire challenge: Create an original flavor of ice cream for the man (or, in this case, kids) on the street

Winner: Cliff

Runners-up: Sam and Carlos

Bottom 3: Marcel, Emily and Marisa

My man Cliff won his second quickfire challenge in a row by knowing what the masses really want: cookies and marshmallow. It's not surprising that even though he claimed to have never made ice cream before, this kid-friendly concoction went over big. I really want to question Marcel's bacon and avocado combo. What was he thinking? That is someone who clearly lives in an entirely different world from everyone else. Loved the kids wiping their tongues with their napkins after sampling his ice cream. And Ms. Smug Pastry Chef herself (Marisa) is now 0-for-2 on desserts. She continued to stay on my bad side by confessing that she didn't think Cliff's winning had anything to do with the quality of his ice cream. What in the world does that mean?

Love that Sam succeeded in this challenge, especially since he's diabetic and doesn't eat or make ice cream. I'm putting him up there with Betty and Cliff as far as the really strong chefs who have shined in this competition thus far. However, I will forget that he ever said, "In it to win it." (Uttering these words is a big reality pet peeve of mine.) Emily apparently hates kids and doesn't really want to have anything to do with comfort food. We'll see how that bitter 'tude works for her in the next challenge.

Elimination Challenge: Create a dish for a TGI Friday's customer (and serve their dishes to firefighters)

Winner: Betty

Runners-up: Cliff and Sam

Bottom 3: Emily, Michael and Frank

Guest Chef: Stephen Bulgarelli, Sr. Director/Executive Chef, TGI Friday's restaurant

This challenge was even more important because the winning chef would have their entree featured on the Friday's menu. You'd think Mike would have a little bit of an advantage here, since he used to work at the restaurant as well as other restaurants much like TGI Friday's. Nope. Betty vs Marcel is shaping up to be quite the rivalry: She's a comfort-fooder, he's a fine-diner. Marcel also seems to be one of those teeth-clenchers; he talks without opening up his jaw more than a quarter of an inch. Bet he unclenched his teeth when he heard Betty go off on him. Do you guys think she was right to just call him out for being a complainer? I did think he could have just solved the problem of the deep fryer instead of whining and complaining, but that strong of a tirade seemed to come out of nowhere. Of course, Marcel didn't pass up the chance to bask in Betty's grill trouble. I think that if he had to be obnoxious, he could have been more quiet about it.

Sam's summer fruit-salad definitely seemed innovative, even though, at first glance, it didn't seem like the type of food the firefighters would go for. But they did. I think it didn't ultimately win because it was a little too out there. Not Frank's "Wonderland Mushroom Fantasy" out there, but a little too innovative for a Friday evening at Friday's. Betty served the firefighters grilled cheese with spicy roasted-pepper soup and won the elimination challenge for the second week in a row.

I hope the chefs in the bottom three wore thick skins for the judges table, because they were already thinking that not many of these dishes were "cravable." They called Michael's cheesesteak dish "sloppy," questioned his passion for cooking and wondered how he managed to screw up a steak sandwich. After all, "A steak sandwich is a steak sandwich." Tom, Gail and the guest chef felt Frank's was poorly executed and too conceptual, while Emily's surf and turf was overly salty and inedible. You really can't fight the whole "inedible" label, so Emily

Wow. nobody likes a cheater but at the same time nobody likes a snitch or a semi snitch in Sam's case. Sam thought by snitching at the last possible minute he would save himself from elimination..even though he refused to name names. Betty I assumed cheated but insisted that she just misunderstood the rules (yeah right) about the 500 calorie limit and that her subsituting the two tablespoons of sugar for Splenda was alright.

Personally I thought Sam should have been the one eliminated since he thought being a tattle tale was a better excuse than trying to defend those rocks that were supposed to be meatballs. However his snitching worked as well as Betty's crybaby fit of ignorance as Chef Tom decided that no one will go home. Heck I would have been glad to see them both go.

In the quickfire challenge Michael's cheetos stuck in a blob of chocolate was just stupid. If I were the guest judge I would have not eaten it. Also I couldn't believe his team would let him be their spokesperson in the elimination challenge. Geez that guy is the least articulate of the entire cast. He lucked out this week and avoided the whole snitch/cheat fest to take the heat off himself.

I think the reason they didnt "go there" and tell anyone to pack their knives is because this was a team challenge and it would have come down to questioning the other team members if they knew that Betty had changed the ingredients. If they would have answered yes then they were just as guilty.

Marcel got very defensive --so that is why i think the other team members did know.

I think the decision was also made as other accusations were flying about --such as the use of olive oil. If Betty were told to pack her knives and go then i am sure other finger pointing would have ensued.

Betty also has won more challenges than anyone else so far. Although i think Elan will win this thing.

There is a lot of corruption going on this season! Makes for good TV!

Well, I thought it was a bunch a bs that noone went home last night. Betty cheated and she should be outta there, imo. If there's any video footage of someone else using olive oil in an inappropriate way then they should be gone too.

However, the person that is least deserving of being in this competition is Michael. It seems he thought he could rest on his "creditials" to get him through most of this competition. (And, so far it's he's right :angry: )

At least the lazy bum is taking it too far and seems to be "on notice now." Imo, this quick fire challenge should have been the last straw... he didn't even do the challenge... or has no creativity/originality of his own. Even if he was last to pick from the vending machines... a horrible attempt at something creative is better than sticking a candy bar on the end of a cheeto... not even an original presentation it was very beer guzzling, fart/belching, fat slop guy of him.

Sam was pretty weasely too but, not as much as the other chick that started naming names in the 11th hour. I wouldn't have minded at all if they had brought these issues up at the end of cooking portion of the challenge. Im all for it being a fair competition seems to me there should have been a determination of what foods were "spoiled" by extra calories and the teams that had inappropriate food should have been made to leave it off the menu... then see which team won the challenge.

I didn't see the entire episode, but I have a quick question:

What in the hell crawled up Sam's ass?

I swear to God the guy is the biggest let down. He's scowl makes my skin crawl.

As far as the least deserving of the contestants, it has to be a toss up between Michael and Marisa.

Ceci . . . great take on what happened. I think Chef Tom made the same exact point in the judging portion. Although he has a problem with the loosey goosey interpretation of some of the chefs this season, his main gripe seemed to be what he called "the 11th hour" pointing fingers instead of speaking up during the cooking offense or before the actual judging took place.

I think he also had a problem with pinpointing how many and who were the ones who actually altered their recipes with the olive oil because Betty was the only one called out by name regarding the sugar versus Splenda controversy. Personally, I don't think she intentionally cheated but I do feel she played loosey goosey with the ingredient and the calorie count.

I feel if Betty was going to use two tablespoons of sugar, she should have asked about the caloric content to make sure her team was within the calorie limitations. If she had done that, someone would have spoke up and alerted her to the 'proper' rules and the debate would have been over. I guess if that had happened though, we wouldn't have had "great television" and a lively discussion here.

I also don't think she added the sugar for taste but for texture instead. Even the one fellow competing chef made a comment when she saw Betty making the first batch of cookies -- that they would never get crisp without the use of sugar. She mentioned to the camera that Betty had used too many egg whites and only Splenda and that had been a big mistake.

However, since the cookies didn't require olive oil, Betty was not the only one who added extra flavor and the olive oil was the biggest no-no by all the nutritionists. I agree with Ceci and Chef Tom that if you notice something isn't right or done by the rules, the time to speak is during OR before the judging not when your team comes up in the bottom and you're trying to save your behind.

Top Chef

by Bettina Charles

November 8, 2006: Consider Yourselves on Probation

What's with all the cheating on Top Chef, huh? First Otto, now this. Here's a question: When is it the appropriate time for someone to speak up about fellow contestants possibly cheating? Right when you see the alleged infraction? Or when it's time to get your proverbial butt out of the frying pan of elimination? That latter tactic has worked on Top Chef twice now. Marisa didn't have to go home even though she deserved to, and now, no one's going home this week. You know what? I hope that means we're about to get a double elimination soon. And if I were Carlos, I'd lobby to get immunity for one more challenge. After all, he won the Quickfire challenge, but since no one went home, having immunity really meant nothing.

Quickfire Challenge: Create an amuse-bouche in 30 minutes

Winner: Carlos

Runners-up: Frank and Ilan

Guest Judge: Former Food & Wine Best New Chef Suzanne Goin (owner and executive chef of Lucques and A.O.C.)

Here's the kicker with this challenge: The chefs had to get ingredients for this amuse-bouche from the vending machines! I really commend them for being able to whip up something edible in 30 minutes using things like Corn Nuts and Doritos. My favorite part was when the show identified Mike's Cheetos and Snickers concoction as "cheese puff set in a chocolate candy bar." Speaking of Mike, how in the world is he still on this show? He keeps saying he wants to be there, but it's clear that he doesn't. He comes up with excuse after excuse as to why his food is bland and icky, but I don't think anyone's buying it. After he came up with squat in the vending-food department he said, "Screw the Quickfire today." Hmm... and then he wonders why awesome guest judge Suzanne Goin thinks he acts like he doesn't want to be around? She met him for like five seconds and came up with that assessment. Carlos stepped up and won the challenge with his inventive sunflower seed and carrot loaf that used Squirt as an ingredient. He's pretty much been off my radar since Week 1, so way to go, Carlos.

Immunity Challenge: Prepare an entr

No suprise that two would be leaving this week after last weeks cheat and snitch fest caused a non elimination week.

Quickfire winner Sam went into tonight's elimination challenge knowing he was safe. However it didn't stop him and Cliff finish as one of the top two teams in tonight's challenge. It was Michael's turn around from two disasterous first couple of weeks to finish on top with Ilan. Their spanish crab payaya was top in tasting to the judges despite haiving too much saffron.

The three teams at the bottom were Josie/Marrissa, Carlos/Elia and Betty/Mia. It was Josie and Marrissa's pepto bismol inspired coctail and non cooking items that the judges found most offending. Pretty bad considering the other dishes were described as pomegranate juice gone bad, and way over cooked duck with doughy puff pastry.

So long Marrissa and Josie. I have always felt that Marissa was way over head in this competetion and Josie was just the unlucky one to be teamed with her as well as her chewy oxtail in the quickfire challenge helped in her depature. She seemed really pissed during her exit interviews. Oh well..deal, IMO you deserved to go.

Funny that Marcel was considered the most annoying by the viewers by 60%. I don't find him that annoying just insecure. Now Michael that's annoying.

It's looking like it will be Cliff, Ilan and Sam as final three if nothing surprising happens. But ya never know, a lot of challenges to come.

Archived