The Real World: Key West

TV_Paige

ap_100.jpg

Neighbor Sues to Stop 'Real World' Filming

keywestdir1.jpg

'Real World: Key West'? Not if neighbor, Edwin O. Swift III has his way.

MTV's long-running "Real World" show is no hit with tour magnate, Edwin O. Swift III. Swift, the owner of Historic Tours of America and a Key West resident, is suing to stop the show from filming its 17th season at the house and property next to his in the exclusive Key Haven neighborhood.

The show's premise is to bring together seven strangers and film them at all hours to see how they get along. The exterior lighting installed by the production company, Swift says in the suit, is brighter than that used at the local high school football stadium and will interfere with his family's activities "such as relaxing and sleeping."

Not only that, Swift says that video cameras set up to record every move of the cast members outside appear to be pointed at his house. He and his children "can no long enjoy entire sections of their home for fear of ending up on national television," the suit says.

conchtrainheader1.jpg

Edwin O. Swift III wants 'Real World' cameras out of his Key West neighborhood.

Swift is the owner of the 'Historic Tours of America' which operates the 'World

Famous Conch Tour Train' in the southernmost city.

Finally, dozens of cars and trailers are parked at all hours in property adjacent to the "Real World" house, which the suit calls an "unavoidable eyesore." Swift is asking a Monroe County judge to halt production of the show, with a hearing likely later in September, his attorney Derek Howard said September 1.

There was no immediate response to a request for comment from MTV or its parent, Viacom Inc. Swift's company operates the Conch Train and sailing tours in Key West and similar operations in Boston, MA; San Diego, CA; St. Augustine, FL; Savannah, GA and Washington, D.C.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ap_100.jpg

Key West Tour Magnate Loses 'Real World' Fight

real_world.gif

'Real World: Key West' is back on.

Tour magnate Edwin O. Swift has lost his battle with MTV's "Real World." A judge ruled Tuesday, October 18 against Swift, who had sued to stop the show from filming its 17th season at the house and property next to his in the exclusive Key Haven neighborhood. The show's premise is to bring together seven strangers and film them at all hours to see how they get along.

Monroe Circuit Judge Mark Jones ruled that the producers, Bunim/Murray Productions, were permitted to keep filming. The judge also said in court that lights outside the home could not get any brighter, said Sandy Bohrer, lead lawyer for Bunim/Murray and a partner in Holland & Knight's Miami office.

Swift's lawyer, Derek Howard, didn't return a phone call seeking comment. Swift is the owner of Historic Tours of America and a Key West resident. He had claimed that exterior lighting installed by the production company was brighter than that used at the local high school football stadium and would interfere with his family's activities.

He also said that video cameras set up to record every move of the cast members outside appear to be pointed at his house. Swift's company operates the Conch Train and sailing tours in Key West and similar operations in Boston, Massachusetts; San Diego, California; St. Augustine, Florida; Savannah, Georgia and Washington.

• 4 months later...

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

The Real World Key West debuts tonight

Just under nine months ago, MTV basically denied my report that The Real World was heading to Key West. Tonight, The Real World Key West. Somehow,

• 3 weeks later...

Tyler'd last MAYBE 2 minutes in the same room wi' me before I'd be compelled tae push his face down intae the damn floor!Tae full o' himself.

• 3 months later...

ap_100.jpg

'Real World' Cast Member Arrested

meronek.jpg

Paula Ann Meronek

A cast member on MTV's "The Real World" was arraigned on a misdemeanor assault charge after police said she bit her boyfriend during a domestic dispute. Paula Ann Meronek, 25, allegedly bit her boyfriend several times when he refused to let her into their home in the early morning hours of Sunday, July 9, police said.

"I think it was an argument that led to one thing then another," said Cromwell Police Chief Anthony Salvatore. "He attempted to keep her from the house. It got physical and we were contacted." The arrest was first reported by The Middletown Press.

Meronek, who was arraigned on Monday, July 10, was charged with third-degree assault, which carries a potential penalty of a year in prison. She is due back in court on August 11. No lawyer was listed in court documents. Her boyfriend, John Alyward, was charged with disorderly conduct.

"The Real World," now in its 17th season, puts seven strangers together in an exotic locale this time in a Key West, Florida beach house. George Cabico, a spokesman for the show's producers, said filming is complete and the arrest will not affect the show.

That kind of makes me sad.

She seems like a very troubled girl.

I hope that if she do any prison time, she gets some counceling while shes in there.

That's a really mean thing to say about someone. It is possible for someone to be 'normal' even having a jacked up childhood. But who really wants to be normal anyway?

My goal in life has never been to be normal, it's been to simply have more good days than bad and more joy than sorrow.

She needs to not be in a relationship with anyone until she can take care of herself, and she needs to seek maybe a treatment program for her alcohol troubles. And perhaps a shrink (again) for her emotional issues. Who can hopefully help her with her weight issues.

Most people have issues, they're just not as apparent as hers.

"My goal in life has never been to be normal, it's been to simply have more good days than bad and more joy than sorrow" - Casper Sabe

Your one of those people who tries too hard to be unique and not like everybody else arent you? I hate people like that.

Archived