The 37th Annual NAACP TV Image Awards

TV_Paige

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

NAACP Image Awards Has 'Mac' Attack

cast.jpg

'The Bernie Mac Show' cast includes (clockwise, L-R) Jeremy Suarez,

Kellita Smith, Bernie Mac, Dee Dee Davis and Camille Winbush

"The Bernie Mac Show" took home key prizes at the 37th Annual NAACP Image Awards held on Saturday, February 25 in Pasadena. The Image Awards pay tribute to positive portrayals of people of color in film, TV, music and literature, and are voted on by a committee of 300 industry professionals and NAACP leaders.

"The Bernie Mac Show" took home three awards--Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series for Bernie Mac, Outstanding Supporting Actress for Camille Winbush and Outstanding Director for TV for Millicent Shelton. "America, I heard your prayers, and you wanted me here," said Mac, one of the Original Kings of Comedy. "The Mac Man cometh and I'm bringing hell with me."

Increasing his winning streak, Terrence Howard doubled his pleasure by winning in both the Movie and Television categories. He won Best Actor in a TV Movie or Miniseries for HBO's "Lackawanna Blues" and Best Supporting Actor in a Movie for "Crash." The NAACP Image Awards, hosted by thespian Cuba Gooding Jr., airs next Friday, March 3 on Fox.

tylerwilliams_everybodyhateschris_240.jpchrisrock_guesswhopr_240.jpg

Tyler James Williams and Chris Rock from 'Everybody Hates Chris' which won Best Television Series

Chris Rock, meanwhile, scored in the Best Television Series category for his semi-autobiographical sitcom, "Everybody Hates Chris." In his acceptance speech, the comic cracked, "I want to thank all the white kids who beat [me]. I'm rich!"

Carlos Santana, who received the NAACP Hall of Fame Award, performed, as did New Orleans' Neville brother, who took home the Chairman Award. The ceremony paid tribute to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, as well as two civil rights icons, Rosa Parks and Coretta Scott King, both of whom died recently.

"I think [Coretta] is setting up there with her husband smiling as we continue to chase the dream," said "The Young and the Restless" star Shemar Moore, who along with costar Victoria Rowell won Best and Actor and Actress in a Daytime Drama.

37thNAACPImageAwards.jpg

37th Annual NAACP Image Awards Nominations
(winners will appear highlighted in red)

edinap08-12-f2-Cuba.jpg
NAACP Image Award Host Cuba Gooding Jr.

Television

Outstanding Comedy Series

Archived