Boys' Night Out

Fuskie

Twelve men, only the top 10 will move forward to next week. Here is what happened on Boys' Night Out.

Patrick Hall - Come To My Window by Melissa Ethridge. He gets right into the song with not an overpowering performance but one that has a bit of nuance and stage presence. It was mostly in key, which bodes well for the night. Randy said he was a little nervous, it started rough but not as good as the Hollywood audition. Paula said he needs to stick to his roots. Simon said it was a bad song for him, too figity and he looks like he is missing his piano.

David Radford - A Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen. He wanted to surprise America, and what we got was an Elvis impersonation. It was definately in tune with his style, and the performance got the audience rockin'. But I am not sure America will come a knockin'. Randy thought he went back to High School, and it was terrible. Paula introduced the kitty pound (or the Paula poodle pound) and naturally did not think it was horrible, that he was true to who he his. Simon said this came over as a bit of a joke, but the audience will probably like him. He needs to take himself more seriously.

Bucky Covington - Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd. It was a simple song for a man who didn't to blow it. His voice was a little coarse but acceptable. Over all it was a safe first performance but he will have to do more to advance. Randy liked that he was doing the South proud, stretching the country, but he doesn't have to sing so hard. Paula thought there were some off parts but he is growing. Simon said he did better with the band, very raw and not professional. But there are thousands of bars where you can find this kind of performance.

Will Makar - I Want You Back by The Jackson Five. The boy has some moves and stage presence, but Michael Jackson he is not. Still, there was something that grew on me; he was singing, not channeling. The old boy network better watch out, this is an up and comer. Randy says he is no Michael Jackson dancer, but he did his thing and was entertaining. Paula said he is adorable and every High School girl will be after him; she loves Bobby Brady. Simon comes in with a reality check - cute, enthusiastic. but vocally it was average.

Jose "Sway" Penala - Reasons by Earth, Wind and Fire. The first performer to accessorize with a hat, this was a performance to put you to sleep. The vocals did not sway me, largely in falsetto. There is a reason the original is sung in harmony. Randy said he have a hot one tonight, that it showed originality and range. Paula said he nailed going from falsetto to his normal voice, that he knows how good he is. Simon was on a different page, thinking it was a pimpy 3rd-rate cover.

Chris Daughtry - Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi. The right song for the right voice, but the volume could have been boosted just a bit. This is a rock song, after all, and the passion gave way to performance. Randy said it was really good, he is current in his song selection, good recording voice. Paula was wowed by him, from his stance and confidence to his artistry. Simon agreed it was a good choice of song, and for the first time he heard someone with potential, and all he needs is more charismatic confidence.

Kevin Covais - One Last Cry by Brian Mcknight. This was not a strong performance. The song was a good selection, but it just seemed like he did not have enough weight to throw behind it. It wasn't the sedate performance. It was just that he lacked the power. Randy said he was honestly talented, and that was the bomb. Paula said he makes her beam and feel proud that he is so poised and sure of himself. Simon apologized to America, but that would appeal to anyone over the age of 90 and hard of hearing because vocally it was verging on excrutiating.

Gideon McKinney - Shout by many. This was a performance that spoke confidence in volumes. It was a natural fit both vocally and in terms of stage presence. Randy liked the song choice and the choreography. Paula said it was a surprising but successful choice. Simon said he looked like a Chipendales warmup performer and was bothered by his smile.

Elliot Yamin - If You Really Love Me by Stevie Wonder. What I was looking for was a clear voice for this song, but it was a little soft for my taste. Still, it was a strong vocal showing off multiple styles. For some reason, I keep thinking he is Amish. Randy said we have another hot one; singing Stevie is hard but he put it down brilliant. Paula loves that it is effortless, he is infectious, great performance from beginning to end. Simon said potentially, after 5 seasons, he is the best male vocalist they've ever had.

Bobby Bennett - Copacabana by Barry Manilow. Dressed to the nines, I am not sure how, but it worked. He had fun with the song, worked the audience, sang it well with his own little flair. Randy said it was like watching someone from a different era, but vocally it was a little here and there. Paula enjoyed his entertainment value, but it was very risky and you comitted with passion. Simon said Barry probably screamed; it was a complete nightmare and he can't remember what he liked about him before.

Ace Young - Father Figure by George Michael. Ace has the puppy dog look that will pull in the girls looking for someone more mature than Bobby Brady. When he sang "Naked at your side" I expected more screaming. Was the audience entranced or bored? A strong performance vocally with terrific stage presence, it seemed mezmorizing. Randy said he definitely was a star and can sing. Paula said the eyes just say hello. Simon said not the best vocals, but he has the X factor. It was a brilliant choice of song, and once he gets over his nerves he will sail.

Taylor Hicks - Levon by Elton John. A mature song for a mature looking man. Vocally unique but a little weak. Stage presence was lacking as well, as if he were trying to overcompensate for looking older by overacting youthful. Randy said he was original, but not a perfect song choice or performance. Paula said power and passion exudes from him, they broke the mold with him. Simon said he was wrong that he should not have made it into the finals, that he is interesting and just into the singing.

What did you think? Who did you vote for? Which guy will be the next American Idol?

Fuskie

Who notes his comments preceeded all judges comments, so you can decide where he was right and when he was way off key...

It's Boys Night Out, and Oh What A Night!

We start with 10 but by the end of Thursday's Results Show, but not all will survive. Who will rise to the occasion? Who will sink into obscurity? Find out on...

American Idol!

First, it should be noted, Paula is back in the middle seat. And Bo Bice was in the audience.

Taylor Hicks: Easy by The Commodores - This was a song that definately showcased his vocals, a good start to the competition. My only problem is that he moves so slowly on stage and seems to be always stooping. Enough with the youthful woh's too. Randy correctly guessed that he had sung that song in bars a lot. Paula loved his suit and his enthusiam, but it wasn't her song choice. It didn't work for Simon because it was the wrong song.

Eliott Yamin: Moody's Mood for Love by James Moody - A jazzy piece well sung, it is a risk because the song style is so diffrent. A very plain performance, I think it will work for him. And the Amish look appears to be gone too. Randy says he has a natural, amazing gift, he put it down. Paula said it was a difficult song to sing, and he did Stevie Wonder proud. Simon said he had grown in confidence, he believes he deserves to be here. You can't win with a song like that, but a great performance.

Ace Young: If I'm Your Not The One by Daniel Bedingfield -This guy knows his base and will probably select romantic songs all the way through the comp. Good harmonizing with the background singers but so so falsetto, he raised the bar. Randy said it was a good song choice, he is a sensitive singer, and he shoulc keep challenging himself. Paula said it was another good week, the falsetto was surprising and a good risk. Simon thinks he will be disappointed with his vocal; he needs a better song that suits his vocals.

Gedeon McKinney: Change Is Going To Come by Three Dog Knight - With a blast from the start, this soulful performance had all cylinders pumping. He doesn't need that last button unbuttoned unless he's going to put in some chest hair to make it work. But the vocals and performance was all there. Randy said it started shaky but he ended it amazing, he did justice to an old song. Paula called him unique, smart with song selection, a performer we will see for decades. Simon called him a funny little thing, funny faces when singing, but you do Sam Cook brilliantly, a very very good, authentic performance.

Kevin Covais: I Heard It Through The Grape Vine by Marvin Gaye - Not a terrific performance. It didn't seem like he was having much fun with it, and the vocals were kind of flat as if he was reciting it instead of singing his own version. And he needs to lose the glasses and get some contacts. Randy thouroughly enjoyed that, he's funny and can sing too. Paula called him infectious, the next sex symbol. Loved the perfomance and watching your parents. Simon called it la la land, saying the reality is if he heard it on the radio he would turn it off. He does like him but it was not the best version ever heard.

Jose "Sway" Penala: Overjoyed by Stevie Wonder - A song that requires pitch perfect tone, I think he was a bit off. Again, I felt that he was singing the song but not performing it until towards the end. Ultimately, I will probably forget this performance by the end of the show. Randy said it was not as good as last week, hard to live up to one of the greatest singers of all time. Paula thought he was disconnected, not in the zone. Simon said it is exactly how not to do well, zero originality.

Will Makar: Lady by Kenny Rogers - Captivating, he sang for the millions of viewers in the camera. This was his song, he owned it. But his mother will have to do something about his posture - stand up straight, young man! Randy said he needed to show he was amazing vocally, but it was just all right. Paula loved his tone control, tender moments on point, but too safe and bland. Simon called it a broadway audition for Cats, and his target audience of 11 year old girls will love that.

Bucky Covington: The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks - What was he thinking? The song had no beginning, and by the time he got moving on the chorus, I couldn't care less. It was supposed to be soulful, but I found it souless. Randy said it was a great song choice, exactly who he was, a little pitchy but definately did his thing. Paula said the beginning was dead on, finding his place with his vocals. Simon said he was star support but not a star.

David Radford: The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra - He stuck with what he knew, trying to sing a soulful version of a ratpack standard. Vocally it was fine, but the problem is it gets old the 3rd or 4th time you hear it. Still, he hit the low note with ease. Randy said he stayed in his zone, but he was board, listening more to the band. Paula said this is your zone but you've performed better, didn't connect with the band. Simon says you have the right voice for this kind of material, but you are lacking the charisma and confidence.

Chris Daughtry: In My Hands by Hemmorage - Our first rocker, he closed the show and brought the house down. No pretense on stage, in a simple shirt and jeans, he had passion and made the song his own. Randy loved it, it was the right song that could be heard on the radio, righ ton the charts right now. Paula wonders if he knows how good he really is, he is amazing. He hit one of his magic moments. Simon said there have been a lot of compliments but this was the only performance that stands up to the real world, the only good, real performance, you are the standard all the other guys should be looking toward.

What do you think? Do you argree with Paula? Randy? Simon? Fuskie? After you register your opinion with your vote, let me know what you think here.

Fuskie

Who has to consider Chriss the most advanced performer in the top twenty...

Just said this in another thread but, can't say it enough :D ... I think Chris Daughtery is the next American Idol!!! Definetely the best performance of the week!

Chris is my fav... but I think Elliot was the best tonight.. er well.. technically yesterday.

He has an AMAZING voice that he knows how to control.

I think Chris would do better if he didn't overdo some of the "screaming" so much.

He also needs to pick songs that I like damnit!

Bon Jovi... That horrible Fuel song???? BARF....

Man needs to sing some STP

Shouldn't be too hard to eliminate two of them. Between Sway, Will, and Patrick any two of them would be fine.

I'm starting to understand what it is about Chris. He does have a powerful voice. I thought his performance tonight was a lot better than last week. He kinda sounded like Scott Stapp of Creed in a couple of places.

What I really want to know is, when did Taylor Hicks turn into Ric Flair? The grey hair is one thing, but now he's got the WHOO--OOO--OOO!!! down perfectly. If he bodyslams somebody next week it'll be time to send him to Bellevue.

Chris, Elliott and Taylor are my top three guys. I do agree with the "Woooo!"'s and the jerking. If he'd lose that, I think people wouldn't be as put off by Taylor. One of the few times I've disagreed wtih Simon about Taylor's performance. I liked it immensely. Elliott doesn't have the looks, but boy can he sing! I love this guy's voice! Chris is better looking and I like his voice too...I liked the rocker quality.

What I really want to know is, when did Taylor Hicks turn into Ric Flair? The grey hair is one thing, but now he's got the WHOO--OOO--OOO!!! down perfectly. If he bodyslams somebody next week it'll be time to send him to Bellevue.

I agree. I really like his voice and his gray hair can be overlooked, but he has never

been HIMSELF....Taylor Hicks.

Pity he doesn't have the confidence to just be himself without impersonating somebody.

Shouldn't be too hard to eliminate two of them. Between Sway, Will, and Patrick any two of them would be fine.

I'm starting to understand what it is about Chris. He does have a powerful voice. I thought his performance tonight was a lot better than last week. He kinda sounded like Scott Stapp of Creed in a couple of places.

ive been thinking that kinda. I really like Chris, but, If he sings Creed at anytime during this season, he is going to permenatly loose me as a fan.

It's Boys Night Out, and we're gonna have a rumble!

We start with 8 but by the end of Thursday's Results Show, it will be only six. Who will rise to the occasion? Who will sink into obscurity? Find out on...

American Idol!

Gedeon McKinney - When a Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge. And we're off to a good start, a solid vocal performance with a touch of soul and passion. Randy said it was all right, he likes the way he sticks with his oldie genre. Paula says it is amazing how your choreographing is in sync with the song. Simon called him quite odd, thought it good but caberet, but he does what he does well and is growing on him.

Chris Daughtry - Broken by Seether. More of a grunge performance, it was a subtle, nuanced performance that was a change of pace for the show. Randy is a fan, he likes that he knows who he is and where his voice is. He is ready. Rock on. Paula thinks he will be selling out stadiums regardless of what happens in the competition, and will just get better and better. Simon was less impressed, thinking it was indulgent, the song was boring, and too serious.

Kevin Covais - Stary, Stary Night by Don McClean. A nice, sweet performance that in no way indicated a passion for rap, it was well sung but not strong enough for this competition. There is something too soft in his voice. Randy always knew he was hip hop. It was a weird song choice, but sung well and he is in the dog pound. Paula has nothing but love for him, making people pay attention when you sing and ballads are your ticket. Simon compared it to watching puppies play. He has the grammy vote, but it was very juvenile.

Bucky Covington - song unknown. Another low key performance, well sung but not much soul behind the voice. Randy called it a great song but it is in keeping with who you are. Paula loved his unpretentiousness, the raw untapped talent. Simon thought it was OK but only a adequate bar performance.

Will Makar - How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You by James taylor. Stepping it up, this was a groovin' performance by a kid without a deep voice. This was a strong performance that should ensure he makes it to the top 12 and can't be ignored. Randy thought it was not good, a bad kareoke performance. Way below average. Paula totally disagreed, saying forget 11 year olds, you stepped up and raised your game and have a distinct voice. Simon said Paula must have been starved of entertainment because it was completely, utterly average. Nothing distinct, great, or good.

Taylor Hicks - Taking It To The Streets by The Doobie Brothers. A taylor made song for him, this performance fit like a glove. Too bad he overperformed it - cut back on the coffee, man. Less manic motion, more singing. A standing ovation, Randy called it a perfect song choice, a good job singing but not his best vocal, but the dancing was a little wow. He represented the wind-up dog pound. Paula said she is going to steal his steps. He stepped it up and she was blown away. Simon said he could single handedly kill the music video industry. It is about having fund and standing out, and he did both.

Elliott Yamin- Heaven by Bryan Adams. A simple performance, this did not showcase his talent. Well sung but lacking soul and passion. Randy said he made the right choices and he would make a record with him in an instant. A hot won tonight. Paula said he was amazing, richer for his background, all the guys are fantastic tonight. Simon thought it was a cop-out, the first time there was a disconnect between him and the song, the wrong song and he felt uncomfortable.

Ace Young - Butterflies by Michael Jackson. And now for something completely different. Sticking with the falsetto, he aces the performance by completely defying expectations. Randy called it hot. Paula called it better than the original artist, going from falsetto to his natural voice, talent. Simon said he made it work, the middle went off but the ends were great.

Who will make the Super Six? Who will go home? Whose fingers are raw from text messaging? Who will become the next American Idol?

Fuskie

Who did not think any of the guys stood out like Mandisa last night but also thinks the competition is much tougher...

Archived