Wierd Saturday Night 'Live'... Someone Explain this?

Guest Shockalot

Guest Shockalot

Ok,

Try and wrap your head around this wierdness....

First, you have to understand that the same episode of Saturday Night Live airs on two different channels (on my TV).

No problem but Channel 14 starts about a minute sooner and Channel 16 is a bit delayed.

Everyone with me so far. No problem.

Ok, so Im up tonight watching Peter Sarsgaard host on Channel 14 (the airing that starts first).

He is pretty funny and somewhere past the Weekend Update there is a skit in which Sarsgaard plays a lone man in a hotel room who carries on a wacky conversation with the presenter he sees on a TV.

In the Skit he is wearing a light coloured button up shirt. (note that).

Ok..

The show goes to commercial and since I missed something he said.. I flip ahead to Channel 16, which as we recall is about a minute behind in its airing.

So this means I can basically 'rewatch' the last minute of whatever just finished on Channel 14.

On Channel 16, they are halfway through the skit..

Except..

Sarsgaard is NOT WEARING THE SHIRT in this version!

Same Episode,

Same Skit,

Same Lines.

Same exact everything except the shirt has disappeared and he is doing word-for-word same skit but topless.

Now I figure this is crazy especially considering that for the remainder of the two airings on either channel - they were duplicate broadcasts.

I even tried to pick subtle and specific things out (like say an odd laugh from the audience) and then would flip up to the delayed broadcast and it was identical.

So.. here is all I can figure: For some reason they put sent out on version of the show to certain 'Affiliate' Networks who then air it.

Somewhere,

Somehow,

For some reason they decided to do the skit twice (once forgetting or adding the shirt) then somehow decided to go with one version instead of the other (despite already sending out a 'finished show' with the other version).

Speculation?

More definitive explanation?

Did anyone else notice this so I can prove Im not crazy?

Maybe one network though he should have a shirt on and digitally added one....

....but wait "live"... forgot about that part......

....maybe the "shirt" network knew ahead of time that the skit contained "nudity" (was it an American network?) and knew exactly where to place the "digital shirt"?

:blink:

Are you sure you're not just nuts Shock? ;)

Guest Shockalot
Maybe one network though he should have a shirt on and digitally added one....

....but wait "live"... forgot about that part......

....maybe the "shirt" network knew ahead of time that the skit contained "nudity" (was it an American network?) and knew exactly where to place the "digital shirt"?

:blink:

Are you sure you're not just nuts Shock? ;)

Well I actually did consider that maybe there was some sort of censorship issue but last I checked guys could be topless hehe.

Heck.. Will Ferrel did it all the time.

The digital CGI Theory is interesting too :P

The one thing I considered was that the 'original' skit made some sort of reference to the Hotel franchise that might have been .. a 'legal problem'.

By then... half the affiliates have already received their copy of the nights show and all the skits in it.

In a Panic... SNL runs back to the stage... has him quickly redo the skit (forgets shirt) and then runs it over to the editing room where its spliced into the package.

This copy is then sent out to the remaining affiliates.

They all air their copies at midnight in whatever time zone and hence the explanation??

btw.. SNL does their show live in front of the audience in the evening... Im told about 5 hours before it airs 'live'.

This is Eastern Time.

So Im out west and there is another 3 hours later by my time zone.

Its still freaky.. I want an explanation from Lorne!

SNL airs Live, 11:30 eastern time.

and that was a hilarous sketch. If you noticed, they had a technical malfucntion during the sketch. He hits the TV, and It goes off, but it wasnt supposed to, and they didnt shoot back to the TV until they got it fixed, you could see the top of the head of a stagehand running over to the TV screen, and when they fixed it, and they showed the TV screen again, it said 'Video 1'. And sARRRRRsgARRRRRd had his shirt fully unbuttoned, not off

Guest Shockalot
SNL airs Live, 11:30 eastern time.

and that was a hilarous sketch. If you noticed, they had a technical malfucntion during the sketch. He hits the TV, and It goes off, but it wasnt supposed to, and they didnt shoot back to the TV until they got it fixed, you could see the top of the head of a stagehand running over to the TV screen, and when they fixed it, and they showed the TV screen again, it said 'Video 1'. And sARRRRRsgARRRRRd had his shirt fully unbuttoned, not off

Aha!

So that explains what went wrong in the first attempt!

Yes, this is where he was wearing an unbuttoned shirt.

I did notice something cross the screen but didnt pay much attention to it.

Flip to the simultaneous airing on the other channel (but delayed by about a minute) and here is the exact same skit, word-for-word but this time NO SHIRT.

So what I can figure is that they simply reshot the skit (one with shirt, one without).

Still.

At some point some station got an episode with the original take.... and the other station got the redone skit.

Well well... we are on to you SNL!

The one that made me laugh out loud was when Sarsgaard was trying to unload all the 'Sars Guards' he invested in during the Sars epidemic.

He admits that they were overpriced and that everyones talking Bird Flu now - but he still needs to unload them.

"The name was pretty much a No-Brainer'

Well, from what I've heard of SNL they actually do a complete run-through of the entire show earlier in the night before a live audience and they tape that one. Then, once the live show starts later on, they play the taped "dress rehearsal" along with the current live show in the booth. Then, if there are any major glitches, technical difficulties or huge mistakes during the live show they can instantaneously switch over to the pre-taped version of the same show right where it left off until the problem is fixed, then they go back to the live airing.

I believe that's all that happened here. I only get the show on one channel, but I did happen to record it to watch this afternoon because I was out. Once the television cut out I think they switched back and forth between the pre-taped show and the live skit several times as they tried to get the show back on track. The entire skit seemed to be somewhat choppy in several places because of it.

To me though, sometimes I enjoy the mistakes more than the actual skits themselves. Some of the funniest moments from the show for me is when the cast members actually crack each other up. heh

Guest Shockalot

agreed Gorilla - Im not bothered much by prop failures or stagehands so much since its supposed to be a 'live' show anyways.

It only adds to it.

Still.. having seen two different versions of the same skit was pretty wierd.

It must have been to do with timezones in that one channel got the original skit included.. another got the 'fixed' version included in their broadcast.

Bother aired simultaneously.

The only time I really was turned off by the cracking up was when Jimmy Fallon and Horatio were doing it ALL the time.

As Peter Griffin said - 'who do you think you are.. Carol Burnett.. no, you havent earned that right yet"

ANyways... Im emailing Lorne over this.

Last time I emailed Lorne I got Chris Parnell fired.. so this should be fun.

ANyways... Im emailing Lorne over this.

Last time I emailed Lorne I got Chris Parnell fired.. so this should be fun.

For Serious? I knew he was off the cast or like a minute, then back on. Never knew the story behind it. I really enjoy him.

Guest Shockalot

It was the craziest thing.

He was fired the following monday.

Then they hired him back for the next season.

(so in total, it was for a few months of the remaining season if I recall)

He has been way better since he returned and has not repeated anything involved in the original complaints.

Which is good.

It was the craziest thing.

He was fired the following monday.

Then they hired him back for the next season.

(so in total, it was for a few months of the remaining season if I recall)

He has been way better since he returned and has not repeated anything involved in the original complaints.

Which is good.

What was the reason he was fired, and what were the complaints about?

According to some sources, there were execs who didn't like Chris and wouldn't let Lorne sign him. They called it "budget issues". The exec left and it was the great Will Farrel (?sp) who got Chris his job back and as a cast membre, too.

Guest Shockalot
According to some sources, there were execs who didn't like Chris and wouldn't let Lorne sign him. They called it "budget issues". The exec left and it was the great Will Farrel (?sp) who got Chris his job back and as a cast membre, too.

Yes, that is basically what happened.

My complaints were used to justify the situation.

I never intended to have Parnell fired but it turns out for the good as he returned with my condtions being met all the same.

He is much funnier without having to do bad comedy anyways.

Rudolph also has ceased and desisted as well.

The only one I would like to see permanently fired is Tina Fey.

So far no luck on that one.

She must have some Iron-Clad MultiYear Contract.

That and she's dubbed the "Head Writer". Oh well. At least Merve the Perve is back. I still think Parny stole that bit from a guy I work with. :lol:

Yes, that is basically what happened.

My complaints were used to justify the situation.

I never intended to have Parnell fired but it turns out for the good as he returned with my condtions being met all the same.

He is much funnier without having to do bad comedy anyways.

Rudolph also has ceased and desisted as well.

What were your complaints about Parnell. And you really think it was cause of you?? Honestly??

Mya Ruldolph is still on the show, she just had a baby. Her name is still on the Beginning Credits.

And Tina Fey??? What did she do, i think shes great!! I dont think shes going anywhere, she will be around for a while. I can see her taking Lorne's Job when he leaves

Guest Shockalot

My main problem with old Parnell, Rudolph and Fey is that the premise for their bits was often "Look how lame and stupid these people are".

No punchline.

No redeeming quality.

Just appealing to the worst sense of humour in the worst sort of people.

What am I supposed to enjoy about 'Wake up Wakefield'?

That these kids are total losers.

HAaa.. stupid losers.

Anyways, Tina Fey is nothing more than a 'Mean Girl'. Wow. Funny I guess.

Although I do not think the SNL will ever get back to the Bass Master days, nor have such classic characters as the anal-retentive chef, i do think this cast is far better than most.

The problem, as I see it, is the second there is a decent bit/ character, the NBC execs (and probably Michael, as well) oush it into a horrible, lame movie. The over commercial, pop-star pandering has tarnished the show to the point it is almost unrecognizable. I long for the days or the return of the truly talented improv troops, but I believe I am in the minority. I, too, enjoy the goofs and cracks, but in the process of commercialization and mass market appeal, these spicy tid-bits of "live" TV get edited out.

SNL has become it's own joke, and no one is laughing. Parny is far from brilliant, but he is funny. Fey has her moments, as does Rudolf. Finesse and Keenan are refreshing. One true master, Darrell has remained a cast member even when i thought he would move to better things.

For now, I will still tune-in, but I can't guarantee I'll stay awake.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived