48th Annual Grammy Awards

TV_Paige

ap_75.jpg

48th Annual Grammy Award Nominations

mariah%20carey.jpg

Mariah Carey

Mariah Carey's comeback came full circle Thursday, December 8 as she was nominated for eight Grammys, including Album of the Year for "The Emancipation of Mimi" and Song and Record of the Year for her torch ballad, "We Belong Together."

Carey's eight nominations tied John Legend and Kanye West. Soul crooner Legend's nominations included Best New Artist, while his mentor West is up for Album of the Year for "Late Registration" and Song of the Year for "Gold Digger."

Other multiple nominees included 50 Cent, Gwen Stefani, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce and Stevie Wonder. Springsteen was among the surprises. His "Devils & Dust" was nominated for Song of the Year, along with Rascal Flatts' "Bless the Broken Road," John Legend's "Ordinary People," Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" and U2's "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own."

U2, nominated for five awards, was also represented in the Album of the Year category for "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb." Besides Carey's "The Emancipation of Mimi" and West's "Late Registration," other nominees in the category were Gwen Stefani for "Love. Angel. Music. Baby" and Paul McCartney's "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard."

In the race for Record of the Year, Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" will go up against "Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz featuring De La Soul, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day, "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani and "Gold Digger" by Kanye West Featuring Jamie Foxx.

The nominees for Best New Artist are Ciara, Fall Out Boy, Keane, John Legend and Sugarland. The 48th Annual Grammy Awards are scheduled to be presented in a live CBS telecast on Wednesday, February 8 from Los Angeles.

The Grammy Nominee List is quite extensive. Posting all the nominations may take some time. For those that prefer to read the complete list now, click on the link: Grammy Nominations.

ap_75.jpg

Carey, West Dominate Grammy Awards

U2_BW.jpg

U2

First Mimi was emancipated; now Mariah Carey is being celebrated. Carey, who just a couple of years ago was considered a dimming star, was reaffirmed as one of music's brightest Thursday, December 8 as she was nominated for eight Grammy awards, including Album of the Year for "The Emancipation of Mimi."

Vanguard rapper/producer Kanye West equaled Carey's accomplishment with eight nominations, as did his protege, John Legend. Other multiple nominees included Irish rockers U2, Bruce 'The Boss' Springsteen and 'Hollaback Girl' Gwen Stefani.

Critics and fans have focused on Carey's amazing career turnaround, but she doesn't like to call it a comeback. Instead, the 35-year-old diva, who received her only Grammys in 1991 for best new artist and Best Pop Vocal Performance, sees her newfound success as a validation of the kind of music she's wanted to do all along.

carey_red.jpg

Mariah Carey

"A lot of times in my career, I was never allowed to release my favorite songs as the singles. Sometimes they would be my favorite songs, but sometimes no," Carey told The Associated Press after the nominations were announced. "This is like an album of my favorite songs, and so that's what feels great, because as an artist, you want people to hear your best work."

Besides Album of the Year, Carey's other nominations included Record and Song of the Year for the heartbreak ballad, "We Belong Together," and Best Female Pop Vocal for the club hit, "It's Like That."

West, who last year led all nominees with ten including Album of the Year, was nominated in that category again this year for "Late Registration." His Ray Charles-inspired hit, "Gold Digger," was nominated for Record of the Year and he also was cited for being a producer on Carey's album.

kanye.jpg

Kanye West

West could also revel in the good fortune of Legend, whose nominations included Best New Artist, along with Ciara, Fall Out Boy, Sugarland and Keane. U2 received five nominations, including Album of the Year for the best-selling "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" and Song of the Year for "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own."

Paul McCartney was also nominated in the Album of the Year category for "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard." The album garnered the former Beatle his best reviews in decades; it also marked his first Grammy nomination in 26 years.

The other Album of the Year nominee was Gwen Stefani for her kitschy, '80s tribute, "Love. Angel. Music. Baby." disc. The album marked the solo debut of the No Doubt frontwoman and budding fashion designer.

hollarback_shh.jpg

Gwen Stefani

It sold more than three million copies and included one of the biggest songs of the year, the nonsensical foot-stomper, "Hollaback Girl." That single also earned Stefani a nomination for Record of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal performance; in all she had five.

"I think part of the success of the album is because it is so different from No Doubt," said Producer of the Year nominee Jimmy Jam, who along with partner Terry Lewis worked on "Love. Angel. Music. Baby." "I think on her own she probably made the album she would have made if she hadn't been the girl in the band and if she had been the girl of the '80s."

Besides Stefani, Carey and West, the other Record of the Year nominees were the Gorillaz featuring De La Soul for "Feel Good Inc." and Green Day for "Boulevard of Broken Dreams." Also nominated for five Grammys were Missy Elliott, Alicia Keys and Springsteen, whose song "Devils & Dust" is up for Song of the Year.

wonder.jpg

Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder, who put out his first album in 10 years this fall, "A Time to Love," got six nominations, as did Beyonce, The Black Eyed Peas' Will.i.am and 50 Cent, who had the year's best-selling disc with "The Massacre."

Carey's album was the No. 2 selling album of the year with more than 4 million copies. Given her previous blockbuster sales, the figure might not come as a surprise. But Carey seemed to have lost her multiplatinum touch over the last few years. She endured the bomb movie and soundtrack, "Glitter" in 2001, and a 2002 follow-up album, "Charmbracelet," was a slow seller.

beyonce_album.jpg

Beyonce

"The Emancipation of Mimi" named for her alter-ego and nickname marked her return to multiplatinum greatness. Carey says the reason the album did so well was because she stayed true to her own musical intuition by delivering a strong R&B album instead of listening to the advice of others and going more pop.

"I feel like record companies were a little scared of urban music a couple of years back, and because I've always wanted to go further into that direction, I kind of got put in a box," a buoyant Carey said, chatting in the back seat of a car.

"I feel like now everyone is going to come around to understanding this is the music that is honestly the future and it's the past and present, so that in and of itself is a triumph. So, win or lose, I'm already grateful."

Legend_John.jpg

John Legend

Urban music was well represented in the Grammy nominations. Black music stars led the multiple nominees list, and Legend was the freshest face. His ballad "Ordinary People" was nominated for Song of the Year.

Though Legend did not have a hand in penning the tune, he was perhaps more excited over that nomination than his own. "To get that made my heart skip," he told the AP. "As a songwriter, it's a category I take very seriously."

The nominees for Best New Artist are Ciara, Fall Out Boy, Keane, John Legend and Sugarland. The 48th Annual Grammy Awards are scheduled to be presented in a live CBS telecast on Wednesday, February 8 from Los Angeles.

The Grammy Nominee List is quite extensive. Posting all the nominations may take some time. For those that prefer to read the complete list now, click on the link: Grammy Nominations.

grammy_award_150.jpg

General Categories
(winners will appear highlighted in red)

Album Of The Year
'The Emancipation Of Mimi' -- Mariah Carey
'Chaos And Creation In The Backyard' -- Paul McCartney
'Love. Angel. Music. Baby.' -- Gwen Stefani

Winner: 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' -- U2
'Late Registration' -- Kanye West

Record Of The Year
'We Belong Together' -- Mariah Carey
'Feel Good Inc.' -- Gorillaz Featuring De La Soul

Winner: 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams' -- Green Day
'Hollaback Girl' -- Gwen Stefani
'Gold Digger' -- Kanye West

Song Of The Year
'Bless The Broken Road' -- Rascal Flatts
'Devils & Dust' -- Bruce Springsteen
'Ordinary People' -- John Legend

Winner: 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' -- U2
'We Belong Together' -- Mariah Carey

Best New Artist
Ciara
Fall Out Boy
Keane

Winner: John Legend
SugarLand

Best Short Form Music Video
Winner: 'Lose Control' -- Missy Elliott Featuring Ciara & Fat Man Scoop
'Feel Good Inc.' -- Gorillaz Featuring De La Soul
'Feels Just Like It Should' -- Jamiroquai
'God's Will' -- Martina McBride
'World On Fire' -- Sarah McLachlan

grammy_award_150.jpg

Pop/Dance Categories

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
'It's Like That' -- Mariah Carey
Winner: 'Since U Been Gone' -- Kelly Clarkson
'Good Is Good' -- Sheryl Crow
'I Will Not Be Broken' -- Bonnie Raitt
'Hollaback Girl' -- Gwen Stefani

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance
'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing' -- Jack Johnson
'Fine Line' -- Paul McCartney
'Walk On By' -- Seal
'Lonely No More' -- Rob Thomas

Winner: 'From The Bottom Of My Heart' -- Stevie Wonder

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
'Don't Lie' -- The Black Eyed Peas
'Mr. Brightside' -- The Killers
'More Than Love' -- Los Lonely Boys

Winner: 'This Love' -- Maroon 5
'My Doorbell' -- The White Stripes

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals
'Gone Going' -- The Black Eyed Peas & Jack Johnson
'Virginia Moon' -- Foo Fighters Featuring Norah Jones

Winner: 'Feel Good Inc.' -- Gorillaz Featuring De La Soul
'A Song For You' -- Herbie Hancock Featuring Christina Aguilera
'A Time To Love' -- Stevie Wonder Featuring India.Arie

Best Pop Instrumental Performance
'In Our Time' -- Burt Bacharach & Chris Botti
'T-Jam' -- George Duke
'Gelo Na Montanha' -- Herbie Hancock Featuring Trey Anastasio
'Agave' -- Daniel Lanois

Winner: 'Caravan' -- Les Paul

Best Pop Instrumental Album
Winner 'At This Time' -- Burt Bacharach
'Bloom' -- Eric Johnson
'Naked Guitar' -- Earl Klugh
'Belladonna' -- Daniel Lanois
'Flipside' -- Jeff Lorber

Best Pop Vocal Album
'Extraordinary Machine' -- Fiona Apple
Winner: 'Breakaway' -- Kelly Clarkson
'Wildflower' -- Sheryl Crow
'Chaos And Creation In The Backyard' -- Paul McCartney
'Love. Angel. Music. Baby.' -- Gwen Stefani

Best Dance Recording
Winner: 'Galvanize' -- The Chemical Brothers Featuring Q-Tip
'Say Hello' -- Deep Dish
'Wonderful Night' -- Fatboy Slim & Lateef
'Daft Punk Is Playing At My House' -- LCD Soundsystem
'I Believe In You' -- Kylie Minogue
'Guilt Is A Useless Emotion' -- New Order

Best Electronic/Dance Album
Winner: 'Push The Button' -- The Chemical Brothers
'Human After All' -- Daft Punk
'Palookaville' -- Fatboy Slim
'Minimum-Maximum' -- Kraftwerk
'LCD Soundsystem' -- LCD Soundsystem

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album
Winner: 'The Art Of Romance' -- Tony Bennett
'It's Time' -- Michael Bubl

• 1 month later...

ap_75.jpg

'American Idol' Wins Grammy Award

by Nekesa Mumbi Moody

clarkson_gram.jpg

Kelly Clarkson nervously accepts a Grammy for Best Female Pop

Vocal Performance

LOS ANGELES, California - Mariah Carey and U2 each won three Grammy awards, but Carey, a front-runner going into the ceremony, lost out in a high-profile category to "American Idol" champion Kelly Clarkson.

Carey still had a chance to triumph in the key races for album, record and song of the year, which were set to be announced near the end of the 3-1/2 hour televised ceremony. U2 also will compete for album and song of the year. Along with rapper Kanye West and R&B newcomer John Legend, Carey led the Grammy contenders with eight nominations each.

She snagged her three awards during the preliminary ceremony, which was not televised and took place in a venue adjacent to the Staples Center, where the main event began at 8 p.m. EST. West and Legend each picked up an early Grammy, and West also won the televised announcement of best rap album.

golddigger.jpg

They may not be a 'Golddigger' but Jamie Foxx and

Kanye West were definitely showstoppers as drum

majors at the Grammy Awards Ceremony

In the first televised award, Carey had to watch as Clarkson surprisingly took the award for female pop vocal performance. A tearful Clarkson screeched a few thank-yous, but notably omitted any reference to "American Idol," the blockbuster Fox television show that propelled her to fame and a recording contract in 2002. Clarkson has distanced herself from the talent show as she tries to establish her own identity.

Carey, who had won only two Grammys to date in her career, was honored for female R&B vocal performance and best R&B song, both for the tune "We Belong Together," and for contemporary R&B album for her comeback release "The Emancipation of Mimi."

The only award Carey lost before the televised show began was for traditional R&B vocal performance, where Aretha Franklin won for "A House is Not a Home." This marked the 17th award of the "Queen of Soul's" career.

U2_gram.jpg

U2 performs before winning five Grammy Awards

U2 won the televised award for best rock album ("How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb"), having won two Grammys earlier in the evening. The group's career haul rose to 20, tied at No. 7 on the all-time list with bluegrass fiddler Alison Krauss, who also won three Grammys, including best country album.

U2's other wins were for rock performance by a duo or group with vocal ("Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own") and best rock song ("City of Blinding Lights"). The band also performed at the awards show, rocking the audience with the hit single "Vertigo" and then bringing on R&B singer Mary J. Blige for the ballad "One."

In addition to best rap album for "Late Registration," Kanye West won the rap song category for "Diamonds from Sierra Leone." John Legend took home the best R&B album award for "Get Lifted."

legend_gram.jpg

John Legend won a Grammy Award for Best R&B Album

Other double winners included Motown icon Stevie Wonder, whose career tally rose to 24, still No. 5 on the all-time list. He won awards for male pop vocal performance ("From the Bottom of My Heart") and R&B performance by a duo or group with vocals ("So Amazing"). He shared the latter award with Beyonce Knowles of R&B group, Destiny's Child.

Rocker Bruce Springsteen, reggae star Damian Marley, electronica act the Chemical Brothers and gospel singer CeCe Winans also won a pair trophies each.

French classical conductor Pierre Boulez won his 26th Grammy, and now ranks as No. 3 on the all-time list of Grammy victors, pulling ahead of late Russian pianist Vladimir Horowitz, with whom he was tied. The only people ahead of him are late conductor Georg Solti with 31 wins, and producer Quincy Jones with 27.

paul_gram.jpg

Sir Paul McCartney rocked the Grammy Awards audience

Bluesman B.B. King won the 14th Grammy of his career, in the traditional blues album category for "80," an all-star collaboration that marked his 80th birthday.

While Martin Scorsese has famously yet to win an Academy Award, he did pick up his first Grammy, in his capacity as a director of the Bob Dylan documentary "No Direction Home," which won the category for long-form music video. Dylan himself does not share in the award since he had little involvement with the acclaimed project.

grammy_award_150.jpg

Rock/Metal/Alternative Categories

Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance
'Revolution' -- Eric Clapton
'Shine It All Around' -- Robert Plant

Winner: 'Devils & Dust' -- Bruce Springsteen
'This Is How A Heart Breaks' -- Rob Thomas
'The Painter' -- Neil Young

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
'Speed Of Sound' -- Coldplay
'Best Of You' -- Foo Fighters
'Do You Want To' -- Franz Ferdinand
'All These Things That I've Done' -- The Killers

Winner: 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' -- U2

Best Hard Rock Performance
'Doesn't Remind Me' -- Audioslave
'The Hand That Feeds' -- Nine Inch Nails
'Tin Pan Valley' -- Robert Plant
'Little Sister' -- Queens Of The Stone Age

Winner: 'B.Y.O.B.' -- System Of A Down

Best Metal Performance
'The Great Satan' -- Ministry
'Determined' -- Mudvayne
'Mein Teil' -- Rammstein
'What Drives The Weak' -- Shadows Fall

Winner: 'Before I Forget' -- Slipknot

Best Rock Instrumental Performance
'Beat Box Guitar' -- Adrian Belew
'Birds Of Prey' - Stewart Copeland

Winner: '69 Freedom Special' -- Les Paul & Friends
'Mercy' -- Joe Perry
'Lotus Feet' -- Steve Vai

Best Rock Song
'Best Of You' -- Foo Fighters
'Beverly Hills' -- Weezer

Winner: 'City Of Blinding Lights' -- U2
'Devils & Dust' -- Bruce Springsteen
'Speed Of Sound' -- Coldplay

Best Rock Album
'X&Y' -- Coldplay
'In Your Honor' -- Foo Fighters
'A Bigger Bang' -- The Rolling Stones

Winner: 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' -- U2
'Prairie Wind' -- Neil Young

Best Alternative Music Album
'Funeral' -- The Arcade Fire
'Guero' -- Beck
'Plans' -- Death Cab For Cutie
'You Could Have It So Much Better' -- Franz Ferdinand

Winner: 'Get Behind Me Satan' -- The White Stripes

grammy_award_150.jpg

R&B/Urban/Alternative Categories

Best Female R&B Vocal Performance
'1 Thing' -- Amerie
'Wishing On A Star' -- Beyonc

grammy_award_150.jpg

Rap Category

Best Rap Performance
'Testify' -- Common
'Mockingbird' -- Eminem
'Disco Inferno' -- 50 Cent
'Number One Spot' -- Ludacris
'U Don't Know Me' -- T.I.

Winner: 'Gold Digger' -- Kanye West

Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group
Winner: 'Don't Phunk With My Heart' -- The Black Eyed Peas
'The Corner' -- Common Featuring The Last Poets
'Encore' -- Eminem Featuring Dr. Dre & 50 Cent
'Hate It Or Love It' -- The Game Featuring 50 Cent
'Wait (The Whisper Song)' -- Ying Yang Twins

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration
'1,2 Step' -- Ciara Featuring Missy Elliott
'They Say' -- Common Featuring Kanye West & John Legend
'Soldier' -- Destiny's Child Featuring T.I. & Lil Wayne

Winner: 'Numb/Encore' -- Jay-Z Featuring Linkin Park
'Rich Girl' -- Gwen Stefani Featuring Eve

Best Rap Song
'Candy Shop' -- 50 Cent Featuring Olivia
Winner: 'Diamonds From Sierra Leone' -- Kanye West
'Don't Phunk With My Heart' -- The Black Eyed Peas
'Hate It Or Love It' -- The Game Featuring 50 Cent
'Lose Control' -- Missy Elliott Featuring Ciara & Fat Man Scoop

Best Rap Album
'Be' -- Common
'The Cookbook' -- Missy Elliott
'Encore' -- Eminem
'The Massace' -- 50 Cent

Winner: 'Late Registration' -- Kanye West

grammy_award_150.jpg

Country/Bluegrass Category

Best Female Country Vocal Performance
Winner: 'The Connection' -- Emmylou Harris
'Mississippi Girl' -- Faith Hill
'All Jacked Up' -- Gretchen Wilson
'I May Hate Myself In The Morning' -- Lee Ann Womack
'Georgia Rain' -- Trisha Yearwood

Best Male Country Vocal Performance
'Funny How Time Slips Away' -- George Jones
'As Good As I Once Was' -- Toby Keith
'Midnight Communion' -- Delbert McClinton
'Good Ol' Boys' -- Willie Nelson
'Alcohol' -- Brad Paisley

Winner: 'You'll Think Of Me' -- Keith Urban

Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
'Comin' To Your City' -- Big & Rich
'Play Something Country' -- Brooks & Dunn
'I Hope' -- Dixie Chicks

Winner: 'Restless' -- Alison Krauss & Union Station
'Bless The Broken Road' -- Rascal Flatts

Best Country Collaboration With Vocals
'Building Bridges' -- Brooks & Dunn, Sheryl Crow & Vince Gill
'Shelter From The Storm' -- Rodney Crowell & Emmylou Harris

Winner: 'Like We Never Loved At All' -- Faith Hill & Tim McGraw
'Dreams Come True' -- Willie Nelson & Norah Jones
'Politically Uncorrect' -- Gretchen Wilson & Merle Haggard

Best Country Instrumental Performance
'I'll Fly Away' -- Charlie Daniels
'Who's Your Uncle?' -- Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush & B

grammy_award_150.jpg

New Age/Jazz Categories

Best New Age Album
'Music In The Key Of Om' -- Jack De Johnette
'Sacred Journey Of Ku-Kai, Volume 2' -- Kitaro
'People Of Peace' -- R. Carlos Nakai Quartet
'Montana' - A Love Story -- George Winston

Winner: 'Silver Solstice' -- Paul Winter Consort

Best Contemporary Jazz Album
'Keystone' -- Dave Douglas
'Soulgrass' -- Bill Evans

Winner: 'The Way Up' -- Pat Metheny Group
'The Spirit Music Jamia: Dance Of The Infidel' -- Meshell Ndegeocello
'Momentum' - Joshua Redman Elastic Band

Best Jazz Vocal Album
'J'ai Deux Amours' -- Dee Dee Bridgewater
'Blueprint Of A Lady' (Sketches Of Billie Holiday) -- Nnenna Freelon

Winner: 'Good Night, And Good Luck.' -- Dianne Reeves
'Duos II' -- Luciana Souza
'I'm With The Band' -- Tierney Sutton

Best Jazz Instrumental Solo
'Round Midnight' -- Alan Broadbent
'Away' -- Ravi Coltrane
'The Source' -- Herbie Hancock
'A Love Supreme - Acknowledgement' -- Branford Marsalis

Winner: 'Why Was I Born?' -- Sonny Rollins

Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group
'Flow' -- Terence Blanchard
'Lyric' -- Billy Childs Ensemble
'Live At The House Of Tribes' -- Wynton Marsalis

Winner: 'Beyond The Sound Barrier' -- Wayne Shorter Quartet
'What Now?' -- Kenny Wheeler With Dave Holland, Chris Potter & John Taylor

Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album
Winner: 'Overtime' -- Dave Holland Big Band
'A Blessing- -- John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble
'Live' -- The Bill Holman Band
'I Am Three' -- Mingus Big Band, Orchestra & Dynasty
'Home Of My Heart' -- The Chris Walden Big Band

Best Latin Jazz Album
'Time Was - Time Is' -- Ray Barretto
'Here And Now' (Live In Concert) -- Caribbean Jazz Project Featuring Dave Samuels
'...And Sammy Walked In' -- Sammy Figueroa And His Latin Jazz Explosion

Winner: 'Listen Here!' -- Eddie Palmieri
'Mulatos' -- Omar Sosa

grammy_award_150.jpg

Gospel Category

Best Gospel Performance
'Be Blessed' -- Yolanda Adams
'Looking For You' -- Kirk Franklin
'I Call You Faithful' -- Donnie McClurkin
'Lift Him Up' -- Hezekiah Walker & Love Fellowship Choir

Winner: 'Pray' -- CeCe Winans

Best Gospel Song
'Again I Say Rejoice' -- Israel & New Breed
Winner: 'Be Blessed' -- Yolanda Adams
'Heaven' -- Mary Mary
'Lift Him Up' -- Hezekiah Walker & Love Fellowship Choir
'We Must Praise' -- J Moss

Best Rock Gospel Album
Winner: 'Until My Heart Caves In' -- Audio Adrenaline
'Higher Definition' -- The Cross Movement
'Day Of Fire' -- Day Of Fire
'Truth Is Fallin' In Tha Streetz' -- Fresh I.E.
'Dichotomy B' -- Grits

Best Pop/Contemporary Gospel Album
Winner: 'Lifesong' -- Casting Crowns
'All I Really Want For Christmas' -- Steven Curtis Chapman
'Redemption Songs' -- Jars Of Clay
'Hymns' -- Out Of Eden
'Healing Rain' -- Michael W. Smith
'Live Wire' -- Third Day

Best Southern, Country, or Bluegrass Gospel Album
'Live At Brooklyn Tabernacle' -- The Crabb Family
'Sing Their Family Gospel Favorites' -- Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers

Winner: 'Rock Of Ages...Hymns & Faith' -- Amy Grant
'Southern Meets Soul: An American Gospel Jubilee' -- The Jordanaires, The Light Crust Doughboys, Nokie Edwards & Larry "T-Byrd" Gordon
'Common Thread' -- The Oak Ridge Boys

Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album
'I Know The Truth' -- Shirley Caesar
'Live From Houston ...The Rose Of Gospel' -- Dorinda Clark-Cole

Winner: 'Psalms, Hymns & Spiritual Songs' -- Donnie McClurkin
'Say The Name' -- Martha Munizzi
'Singing The Old Time Way' -- Bishop G.E. Patterson & Congregation
'Be Exalted' -- Marvin Sapp

Best Contemporary Soul Gospel Album
'Day By Day' -- Yolanda Adams
'Mary Mary' -- Mary Mary
'The J Moss Project' -- J Moss
'Dream' -- BeBe Winans

Winner: 'Purified' -- CeCe Winans

Best Gospel Choir Or Chorus Album
'I Speak Life' -- Donald Lawrence, choir director; Donald Lawrence & Company
'Live At The Fellowship' -- John P Kee, choir director; VIP Mass Choir
'One Church' -- Kurt Carr, choir director; The Choir Of Life (Japan), The Choir Of Life (USA) & The Kurt Carr Singers

Winner: 'One Voice' -- Gladys Knight, choir director; Saints Unified Voices
'20/85 The Experience' -- Hezekiah Walker, choir director; The Love Fellowship Choir

grammy_award_150.jpg

Latin/Tejano Categories

Best Latin Pop Album
'Solo' -- Ricardo Arjona
'Eco' -- Jorge Drexler
'Andrea Echeverri' -- Andrea Echeverri
'Citi Zen' -- Kevin Johansen

Winner: 'Escucha' -- Laura Pausini

Best Latin Rock/Alternative Album
'Consejo' -- La Secta AllStar
'Con Todo Respeto' -- Molotov
'El Kilo' -- Orishas

Winner: 'Fijaci

grammy_award_150.jpg

World Music Categories

Best Native American Music Album
'More Kids' Pow-Wow Songs' -- Black Lodge
'Intonation: Harmonized Songs From The Southern Plains' -- Alex E. Smith & Cheevers Toppah

Winner: 'Sacred Ground - A Tribute To Mother Earth' -- Various Artists
'Our Love Will Never Die' -- Randy Wood

Best Hawaiian Music Album
'Slack Key Dreams Of The Ponomoe' -- Kapono Beamer
'Sweet & Lovely' -- Raiatea Helm
'Kiho'alu - Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar' -- Ledward Ka'apana
'Slack Key Guitar: The Artistry Of Sonny Lim' -- Sonny Lim

Winner: 'Masters Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar - Vol. 1' -- Various Artists

Best Reggae Album
'Our Music' -- Burning Spear
Winner: 'Welcome To Jamrock' -- Damian Marley
'The Trinity' -- Sean Paul
'Clothesdrop' -- Shaggy
'Black Gold & Green' -- Third World

Best Traditional World Music Album
'Behmanka' -- Mamadou Diabate
'Para Todos Ustedes' -- Los Pleneros De La 21
'Faryad' -- Masters Of Persian Music
'Tibetan Master Chants' -- Lama Tashi

Winner: 'In The Heart Of The Moon' -- Ali Farka Tour

grammy_award_150.jpg

Miscellaneous Categories

Best Spoken Word Album
'The Adventures Of Guy Noir' -- Garrison Keillor
'The Al Franken Show Party Album' -- Al Franken
'Chronicles - Volume One (Bob Dylan)' -- Sean Penn

Winner: 'Dreams From My Father (Senator Barack Obama)' -- Senator Barack Obama
'When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops?' (George Carlin)' -- George Carlin

Best Comedy Album
'The Agoraphobic Cowboy' -- Rick Moranis
'Family Guy Live In Vegas' -- Various Artists
'Luther Burbank Performing Arts Center Blues' -- Lewis Black

Winner: 'Never Scared' -- Chris Rock
'The Right To Bare Arms' -- Larry The Cable Guy

Best Musical Show Album
'Rotten Scoundrels'
'Hair'
'The Light In The Piazza'

Winner: 'Monty Python's Spamalot'
'The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee'

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion
Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
'Beyond The Sea' -- Kevin Spacey
'Napoleon Dynamite' -- Various Artists

Winner: 'No Direction Home: The Soundtrack - Bootleg Series, Vol. 7' -- Bob Dylan
'Ray' -- Ray Charles
'Six Feet Under Volume 2' - Everything Ends -- Various Artists

Best Score Soundtrack Album For Motion
Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
'The Aviator' -- Howard Shore
'The Incredibles' -- Michael Giacchino
'Million Dollar Baby' -- Clint Eastwood

Winner: 'Ray' -- Craig Armstrong
'Star Wars Episode III' - Revenge Of The Sith -- John Williams

Best Song Written For Motion Picture,
Television Or Other Visual Media
Winner: 'Believe' -- Josh Groban
'Cold Wind' -- Arcade Fire
'Million Voices' -- Wyclef Jean
'Square One' -- Tom Petty
'Wonka's Welcome Song' -- Danny Elfman

Best Recording Package
'The Clouds' -- Stuart Hyatt
'The Cosmic Game' -- Neal Ashby

Winner: 'The Forgotten Arm' -- Aimee Mann
'Knuckle Down' -- Ani DiFranco & Brian Grunert
'O God, The Aftermath' -- Ryan Clark

Best Boxed Or Special Limited Edition Package
'Holy Ghost: Rare & Unissued Recordings (1962-70)' -- Albert Ayler
Winner: 'The Legend' -- Johnny Cash
'Pure Genius: The Complete Atlantic Recordings (1952-1959)' -- Ray Charles
'Weird Tales Of The Ramones' -- The Ramones
'You Ain't Talkin' To Me - Charlie Poole And The Roots Of Country Music' -- Charlie Poole With Various Artists

Best Album Notes
Winner: 'The Complete Library Of Congress Recordings' -- Jelly Roll Morton
'Heaven Must Have Sent You: The Holland/Dozier/Holland Story' -- Various Artists
'The Legend' -- Johnny Cash
'You Ain't Talkin' To Me - Charlie Poole And The Roots Of Country Music' -- Charlie Poole With Various Artists

Best Historical Album
Winner: 'The Complete Library Of Congress Recordings' -- Jelly Roll Morton
'Holy Ghost: Rare & Unissued Recordings (1962-70)' -- Albert Ayler
'The Legend' -- Johnny Cash

Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical
Winner: 'Back Home' -- Eric Clapton
'Deceiver' -- Chris Thile
'Lonely Runs Both Ways' -- Alison Krauss & Union Station
'Mr. A-Z' -- Jason Mraz
'Rock Swings' -- Paul Anka

Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical
Danger Mouse -- Gorillaz
Nigel Godrich -- Paul McCartney
Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis -- Celine Dion, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Simpson

Winner: Steve Lillywhite -- U2
The Neptunes -- Gwen Stefani, Mariah Carey, Snoop Dogg

Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical
'Fever' -- Sarah Vaughan
'Flashdance' -- Deep Dish
'Mr. Brightside' -- The Killers

Winner: 'Superfly' -- Curtis Mayfield
'What Is Hip? (T.O.P.R.M.X.)' -- Tower Of Power

Best Surround Sound Album
Winner: 'Brothers In Arms - 20th Anniversary Edition' -- Dire Straits
'The Girl In The Other Room' -- Diana Krall
'Honky Ch

grammy_award_150.jpg

Classical/Opera Categories

Best Engineered Album, Classical
'Bolcom: Songs' -- Carole Farley & William Bolcom
'Britten, Bartok & Hartmann' -- Gordan Nikolic & Netherlands Chamber Orchestra
'Bruckner: Sym. No. 7' -- Yakov Kreizberg & Wiener Symphoniker
'Chesky: Area 31' -- Anthony Aibel & Area 31

Winner: 'Mendelssohn: The Complete String Quartets' -- Emerson String Quartet

Producer Of The Year, Classical
Christopher Alder
Steven Epstein
Michael Fine

Winner: Tim Handley
Thomas C. Moore