Books that have been referenced in LOST

Guest conniejoe

Guest conniejoe

Arguably one of the best Stephen King novels and a personal favourite of mine!

The Stand has apparently often been mentioned by the writers to Jorge.

It is a book about a plague and society coming down to two groups good vs evil. It is gory at times, soulful at others and has quite the patchwork of clues that lead to a huge pay off at the end. The final battle is huge and humble at the same time.

I am deliberately being vague about the book because I do not want to wreck it for anyone who hasn't read it.

The book also features many unexplained "psychic-type" moments.

Pointed out in next weeks TV Guide (Canadian version) is that one of the characters in the book likes Watership Down ....

One of the writers said (over at Fuselage) that Locke's character contains shades of Randall Flagg (one of the key ppl in The Stand).

I read the book many moons ago and it's one of my favorites, too, Ranster! I've been meaning to read it again, in light of the Lost comparisons but just haven't had the time.

Guest ranster627
One of the writers said (over at Fuselage) that Locke's character contains shades of Randall Flagg (one of the key ppl in The Stand).

I read the book many moons ago and it's one of my favorites, too, Ranster! I've been meaning to read it again, in light of the Lost comparisons but just haven't had the time.

If that's true, we're in for dark times ...

I wonder about that though because Flagg was so "apparent" and Locke is so subtle ... Locke reminds me of the old black woman from the book really .... (can't remember the name, sorry)

Guest conniejoe

I used to think of Locke as "good" until I read that thread over at Fuselage. Since then I see him in an entirely different light and have seen the menace in his eyes at times.

I'm not saying that Locke = Randall Flagg, but they did look at that character for inspiration when developing the Locke storyline according to the writers.

I can't say that I ever saw Locke as totally good or bad. I do see him as having his own agenda. He seems to always be two or three steps ahead of everyone else. He knows whats coming before it does, and knows how to twist people to his desires.

Guest ranster627

Randall Flagg to me was pure evil to the extreme ...

Locke reminds me of more of a prophetic character or a wise sage ... I may be way off base here, but for now I will stick with my instincts.

I confess I was shocked at the references to The Stand as a source material in connection with this show. This means that all is not as it appears and good can be bad ... The Stand had a lot of twists. It will be interesting to see if next season the divisions become clear so I can better understand the linkages.

For the record ... my name is Randolph not "Randall" ... :twisted:

Guest ranster627
This is mere speculation of course, but after reading your excellent TV Guide post, I wonder if the good vs. evil will be Sayid vs. Locke??

wow ... now that would be complex ... I assume that Sayid will represent good? I am pretty sure the writers want a positive image (but in turmoil) of this Iraqi character.

Guest ranster627
Yes, I agree. Sayid would be on the side of good.

I think that Locke changed when he met the "monster" in the jungle. I think he saw the "others" and was changed somehow.

His meeting the monster could be symbolic of Flagg's girlfriends dreams in the Stand ... she met the monster and it was herself ... thus causing her to accept her fate, until she redeemed herself with a glorious death!

• 7 months later...

ABC hit 'Lost' to spin off cross-promotional novel

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The ABC television network and sister publishing label Hyperion Books are taking the concept of product placement into a new direction -- by turning an imaginary product into a real one.

Producers of ABC's mega-hit castaway thriller "Lost" plan to introduce a new storyline centering on the discovery of a fictitious manuscript that will become the basis for a real-life novel that Hyperion will publish this spring.

The book will then be promoted as the work of an author, named Gary Troup, who supposedly delivered the manuscript to Hyperion days before perishing in the show's stage-setting event, a plane crash that maroons a group of survivors on a spooky island.

Plans for the convoluted cross-promotion, first reported on Tuesday by Hollywood trade publication Daily Variety, were confirmed by a spokeswomen for Hyperion and production studio Touchstone Television, which like ABC, are owned by the Walt Disney Co.

Advertisers have increasingly explored novel product-placement schemes in the face of new technologies that allow TV viewers to skip over conventional commercials when watching their favorite shows.

But Variety said the "Lost" book tie-in may be the first to use imaginary TV events and characters as the basis for a real-life marketing campaign.

As part of the plan, Hyperion said it has commissioned a "well-known" mystery writer to anonymously adapt the fictitious manuscript into an actual, printed book it hopes will automatically appeal to the show's large and loyal following.

"Fans of the show are obsessive. We think a lot of them will be buying the book just to look for clues" to the series, Hyperion President Bob Miller told Variety.

The "Lost" novel, titled "Bad Twin," is described as a private eye mystery about a wealthy heir's search for his evil sibling.

"Lost," one of the several surprise hits that helped ABC bounce back from a lengthy ratings slump last season, currently ranks as the fourth most-watched show on U.S. television, averaging more than 20 million viewers a week.

variety_logo100x24.jpg

'Lost' Finds New 'Novel' Idea

by Steven Zeitchik

2005-03-2.jpg

Can you have product-placement for a product that doesn't exist? ABC thinks so. In an eerie synergy, writers for ABC's "Lost" will soon be writing a subplot about a character named Gary Troup who didn't survive the crash but left behind a manuscript he was working on.

Of course, Troup is fictional and so is his supposed novel. But ABC sister company, Hyperion Books will publish the "found" manuscript, in the hope of turning a fictional product-placement into a real one.

Working with writers from the series, Hyperion has commissioned a novel by a "well-known" mystery writer -- it's not saying who -- that supposedly constitutes the book. The "Lost" novel, titled "Bad Twin," is a P.I. procedural involving a wealthy heir's search for his nefarious brother. It will be released this spring in conjunction with the serie's related episodes.

rose_red2.jpg

This move may be the first to use made-up TV events and characters as the basis for a real-life campaign. The book will be marketed as the work of an author who "delivered (his book) to Hyperion just days before Troup boarded Oceanic Flight 815." Hyperion did engage in a similar but scaled-down project for a tie-in to the TV mini-series, "Rose Red."

If the backstory offers enough complexity to require an Advil (or whatever one takes for a postmodern headache), Hyperion president Bob Miller says he still thinks gambit could pique viewers. "Fans of the show are obsessive. We think a lot of them will be buying the book just to look for clues."

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

Fans Join 'Lost' Book Club

lost_cast.jpg

'Lost' on an island with nothing to read? Look around.

Is ABC trying to get "Lost" fans fired? As if there wasn't already enough material out there for superfans to obsess over, including a plethora of fan sites and message boards devoted to the show, now a "Lost" storyline is making the jump from fiction to reality.

ABC has announced plans to introduce a "Lost" subplot about a character named Gary Troup, a fictitious author who supposedly perished in the crash of Oceanic Flight 815, but left behind the manuscript on which he had been working, having dropped it off with his publisher just days before boarding the fatal flight.

Here's where the line between fact and fiction blurs: Hyperion Books, ABC's sister publishing label, is actually putting out said manuscript in book form this spring--here in the real world--to coincide with the related episodes of "Lost." Titled "Bad Twin," the private eye thriller is said to be about a rich heir's search for his devious sibling.

lost-screencap.jpg

Is there a 'Lost' manuscript among the ruins of

Oceanic Flight 815?

Hyperion said it has commissioned a well known writer to pen the book, with the help of writers from the show. "Fans of the show are obsessive," Hyperion President Bob Miller told Daily Variety. Miller continued, "We think a lot of them will be buying the book just to look for clues."

(Hey, who's he calling obsessive? Maybe the hundreds of Powerball hopefuls who played Hurley's unlucky number--4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42--in the $340 million drawing last month to no avail? Just a hunch.) The marketing ploy may be the first to combine characters and events from a television show with a real-life sales campaign, according to Variety.com

While just 9 million viewers tuned in for last week's "Lost" rerun, the eerie Emmy-winning drama consistently ranks as the fourth-most watched show on television, pulling in over 20 million viewers each week on average. New episodes of "Lost" resume Wednesday, November 9 at 9 p.m. Set your TiVos now.

• 1 month later...

Watership Down

0380002930.01._AA_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

LOST reference: Sawyer finds a copy of Watership down after it washes up on shore, and begins reading it. The book originally belonged to Boone.

Author: Richard Adams

Published: 1972

Description: One of the most beloved novels of our time, Richard Adams's Watership Down takes us to a world we have never truly seen: to the remarkable life that teems in the fields, forests and riverbanks far beyon our cities and towns. It is a powerful saga of courage, leadership and survival; an epic tale of a hardy band of adventurers forced to flee the destruction of their fragile community... and their trials and triumphs in the face of extraordinary adversity as they pursue a glorious dream called "home."

A Wrinkle in Time

wrinkle7rd.jpg

LOST reference: After Sawyer finishes reading Watership Down, he is seen reading A Wrinkle in Time.

Author: Madeleine L'Engle

Published: 1962

Description: A provocative fantasy-science fiction tale of a brother and sister in search of their father, who is lost in the fifth dimension.

Lord of the Flies

flies5ll.jpg

LOST reference: Sawyer remarks to Jin, 'It's all Lord of the Flies down there now'.

Author: William Golding

Published: 1954

Description: Lord of the Flies depicts the regression into savagery of a group of schoolboys stranded on a deserted island without adult supervision, in the aftermath of a plane crash, while fleeing wartime Britain.

The Third Policeman

third7wu.jpg

LOST reference: Desmond grabs 'The Third Policeman' from the shelf before leaving the Swan Station.

Author: Flann O'Brien

Published: 1967

Description: The unnamed narrator of The Third Policeman is a student of a scientist/philosopher named de Selby , and, as is revealed in the opening paragraph of the novel, has committed a robbery and a violent murder. The narrator finds a police barracks, hoping to enlist the policemen into locating the black box for him. There he meets two of the three policemen, who speak in a curious m

Two books published in 1994, 11 years ago. Did Desmond bring them, do you think or has there been another visitor?

Thanks Jem, looks like my holiday reading list got a little longer.

• 3 months later...

More books that have been referenced in LOST. Source - cubit.net

Heart of Darkness

LOST reference: Jack says to Kate: "Tell me something.. How come any time there\'s a hike into the heart of darkness, you sign up?", and Charlie says to Hurley: "One minute you\'re happy go lucky good time Hurley, the next you\'re Colonel bloody Kurtz."

Author: Joseph Conrad

Published: 1902

Description: Written several years after Conrad's grueling sojourn in the Belgian Congo, the novel tells the story of Marlow, a seaman who undertakes his own journey into the African jungle to find the tormented white trader Kurtz.

Alice in Wonderland

LOST reference: Locke to Jack "Ah..The white rabbit, Alice in Wonderland."

Author: Lewis Carroll

Published: 1865

Description: hen Alice tumbles down, down, down a rabbit-hole one hot summer's afternoon in pursuit of a White Rabbit she finds herself in Wonderland. And there begin the fantastical adventures that will see her experiencing extraordinary changes in size, swimming in a pool of her own tears and attending the very maddest of tea parties. For Wonderland is no ordinary place and the characters that populate it are quite unlike anybody young Alice has ever met before. In this imaginary land she encounters the savagely violent Queen, the Lachrymose Mock Turtle, the laconic Cheshire Cat and the hookah-smoking Caterpillar, each as surprising and outlandish as the next.

An Occurence At Owl Creek Bridge

LOST reference: This book is seen in the Swan Station held upside down by Locke as though he's looking for something inside in 2x13

Author: Ambrose Bierce

Published: 1897

Description: The story centers on Peyton Farquhar, a southern planter who, while not a Confederate Soldier, is about to be hanged by the Union Army for attempting to destroy the railroad bridge at Owl Creek. As Farquhar stands on the bridge with a noose around his neck, Bierce leads the reader to believe that the rope breaks and that Farquhar falls into the water below, only to escape to his farm, where he is reunited with his wife. It is revealed at the end of the story, however, that Farquhar has, in fact, been hanged and that these imaginings took place in the seconds before his death.

The Brothers Karamazov

LOST reference: Locke gives a copy of this book to Henry Gale to read while he's locked up in 2x15. Locke also discusses Hemmingway's jealously of Dostoevsky with Henry and Jack.

Author: Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky

Published: 1880

Description: The Brothers Karamazov is generally considered one of the greatest novels by the Russian author Fyodor Dostoevsky and the culmination of his life's work. The book is written on two levels: on the surface it is the story of a patricide in which all of the murdered man's sons share varying degrees of complicity but, on a deeper level, it is a spiritual drama of the moral struggles between faith, doubt, reason, and free will.

Lancelot

LOST reference: This book is seen in the Swan Station held upside down by Locke as though he's looking for something inside in 2x13

Author: Walker Percy

Published: 1977

Description: Lancelot Lamar is a disenchanted lawyer who finds himself confined in a mental asylum with memories that don't seem worth remembering. It all began the day he accidentally discovered he was not the father of his youngest daughter, a discovery which sent Lancelot on modern quest to reverse the degeneration of America. Percy's novel reveals a shining knight for the modern age--a knight not of romance, but of revenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Look away now

By Jack Malvern

A surrealist novel written in 1940 has been rescued from obscurity after writers for the television drama Lost let slip that it was crucial to thier cryptic plots.

The Third Policeman, an absurdist story about the atomic theory of bicycles and the quest for a mysterious black box, does not seem an obvious source material for the most popular American drama ever broadcast by Channel 4. but Craig Wright, a co-writer of the series, provoked a sales surge when he told viewers that the late flann O'Brien's book would give them "a lot more ammunition" in dissecting his story of survivors of an air crash on a remote desert island.

The book's US publisher sold 10,000 copies within two days of the title's appearance in the second series of the programme, which will be shown here (UK) in May.

HarperCollins, which is owned by News Corperation, parent company of The Times, reported an immeadiate increase in sales in the British Isles, from 400 copies in January to 4,500 in February. It has reprinted 10,000 copies ready for another surge. readers who prefer to keep their mysteries intact should look away at this point:

Both stories feature people who suffer a terrible accident that transports them to an unfamiliar world in which the laws of physics seem to break down. Both involve characters who meet people they know to be dead. Both have seaquences in whihc the characters discover mysterious subterranean lairs.

the book's denoument, in which the narrator finds out that he has been dead all along, will add to the speculation that the island represents the afterlife.

A copy of the novel appears in the third episode of the second series, when the characters have broken into an underground complex. There they discover a new character, Desmond, whose bookshelf contains The Third Policeman.

Wright said that the prominent display of the book was an intentional clue. "This book was chosen for a reason," he told the Chicago Tribune"Whoever goes out and buys the book will have alot more ammunition as they theorise about the show. They will have alot more to speculate about."

neither O'Brien nor Wright has much respect for natural laws. The author, who died in 1966, declared: "When you are writing about the world of the dead and the damned where none of the rules and laws holds good, there is any amount of scope for backchat and funny cracks."

Both the series and the book contain machines that threaten disasterous consequences if they do not recieve regular attention. In Lost, someone must enter a code into a computer every 108 minutes; the policemen in the book must tinker with a machine daily to keep its readouts constant. there is a suggestion that the island is a hullucination. The book's prologue suggets: "Human existance being a hallucination containing in itself the secondary hullucinations of day and night...it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusionary approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Fans of the series have suggested that the story in all in the mind of one or more of the characters. Lost enthusiasts will still have plenty to speculate about, however. the writers have already dismissed theories that the survivors are dead, in a time warp or a figment of one of anyone's imaginateion.

• 1 month later...

Book by Phantom 'Lost' Author

By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer

badtwin.jpg

NEW YORK - Gary Troup, a name known to fans of the hit TV drama "Lost," has joined a special club that includes the likes of Ellen Rimbauer and Marcie Walsh: "authors" of books by television characters.

In Wednesday night's episode of the ABC hit show about plane crash survivors on a remote island, the con man Sawyer, played by Josh Holloway, is seen reading an advance copy of fellow passenger Gary Troup's "Bad Twin." Sawyer, an odd bookworm, describes it as a whodunit he's anxious to finish.

Troup has been missing since the plane went down, but a copy of his book just happened to land a while back in the offices of Hyperion Books, which, like ABC, is owned by the Walt Disney Company. "Bad Twin," billed as Troup's "final novel before disappearing Oceanic Flight 815," was published this week.

"We got this manuscript from this guy and we couldn't reach him. He apparently got on this plane in Australia and has been lost at sea," says Hyperion president Bob Miller, trying his best to play it straight.

"Gary Troup" is a true mystery man, his name an anagram for "Purgatory." But someone claiming to be the author shows up in a promotional video linked to the "Bad Twin" page on Amazon.com, and Miller himself provides a blurb: "Sure to be a classic of the genre."

ABC and Hyperion have had other joint projects. "The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer," a prequel to the 2002 miniseries "Red Rose," recorded the thoughts of a magnate's wife trapped in a spooky Seattle mansion. "Ellen Rimbauer" was a best seller written by novelist Ridley Pearson, a good friend of the character's inventor, Stephen King. Pearson also is rumored to have written "Bad Twin."

Marcie Walsh is a recurring character on "One Life to Live" who on the show was writing a police thriller, "The Killing Club," that actually ended up in stores, in 2005. The program's former head writer, Michael Malone, is listed as co-author.

With "Lost" attracting millions of viewers, Hyperion has big expectations for "Bad Twin," announcing a first printing of 365,000. Wednesday's night show gave the book a strong but unspectaular bump, from 311 to 67 on Amazon.com's best seller list.

"We're hoping to see it grow from that as the show goes on," Miller said.

"Lost" Book Clues in Fans

By Gina Serpe

Bad Twin has only been available for three days, but the book has already nabbed endorsements from two high-profile names: Sawyer and Hurley.

Hyperion Books released the mystery novel Tuesday, marking one small step for Lost promotional tie-ins and one giant leap from fiction to reality. The book, written by fictitious Oceanic Flight 815 passenger Gary Troup--for those without their decoder rings, his name is an anagram of "purgatory"--is being billed as the last manuscript from the author, who supposedly dropped the book off at his publisher just days before perishing on the made-for-TV flight.

ABC announced plans to market the character's book last November and has since managed to crowbar in several scenes which find castaways perusing the manuscript, which miraculously managed to survive the crash, the ocean, the fires and the routine pillages by the seemingly illiterate Others with all its pages in tact.

Just as miraculously, the completed book also managed to find its way to a Disney-owned publishing house. "We got this manuscript from this guy and we couldn't reach him," Hyperion president Bob Miller told the Associated Press. "He apparently got on this plane in Australia and has been lost at sea."

The book's cover features a tantalizing selling point for would-be Troup fans, declaring the mystery "His Final Novel Before Disappearing on Oceanic Flight 815." The plot, pieced together for fans who may actually read the book and not just scan lines for clues pertaining to the series, centers on the detective Paul Artisan who is hired to track down the "bad twin" Zander Widmore by his "good twin" Cliff. Along the way, Artisan enlists the help of a good buddy who just so happens to be well-versed in biblical parables and metaphors on the meaning of life.

As expected, Bad Twin is chalk full of cheeky references to the prime-time juggernaut, including several mentions of the 17th century philosopher John Locke (that's the sound of legions of Lost fans perking up), a makeshift boat named Escape Hatch, allusions to life being complicated and unable to be boiled down to something as simple as, say, "a string of numbers," and of course, most of the action takes place on a mysterious--and fictional--island. "As with every island, there was something slippery and mysterious about Peconciquot," the book reads, per an excerpt from the Toronto Sun. "It was connected to the larger world, and then again it wasn't. It had a logic of its own, a highly local mythology that made perfect sense within its confines yet fitted uneasily with the mind-habits of the world beyond its boundaries."

That clears that up.

For those fans wishing to check out more of Troup's work, they may want to dig up his first novel, The Valenzetti Equation. That is, if it actually existed they might. The book is described as centering on a mathematical equation that predicts the apocalypse, and while no more specifics have been released, it's likely Lost fans could hazard an accurate guess as to which numbers may be involved in the solution.

Still, should fans decide to crack open Bad Twin, they'd be in good, albeit fake, company. On Lost's Feb. 8 episode, Hurley pulled the immaculately preserved manuscript from the plane's wreckage and just this week, unlikely bookworm Sawyer was happened upon extolling the literary merits of the whodunit.

Of course, thinly veiled as the novel may be, one mystery still remains: Who actually wrote it. While Stephen King and Ridley Pearson, both self-confessed fans of the show, have drawn speculation as the author, harsh critics dismiss the theory, claiming the tome is too poorly written to come from the thriller and mystery masterminds. Most likely, the book was a committee effort.

But for those who just aren't into the whole reality thing, an interview with Troup has been made available on Amazon.com, where it ranked in the Top 10 as of press time.

Lost's season finale airs May 24.

Amazon.com Exclusive: Author Gary Troup delivered the manuscript for his hotly anticipated thriller, Bad Twin, just days before he boarded doomed Oceanic Flight 815. Watch the recently uncovered video clip of Gary Troup on Book Talk interviewed by Laird Granger talking about the controversy surrounding his mysteriously out-of-print first book, The Valenzetti Equation, and his new novel, Bad Twin.

Click HERE to go to Amazon.com and watch the interview.

• 3 weeks later...

'Bad Twin,' a Novel Inspired by 'Lost,' Makes the Best-Seller Lists

By Felicia R. Lee

lost.span.jpg

A "Lost" character held a "Bad Twin" manuscript on the May 3 episode

Novels by unidentified authors have made the best-seller lists, as has at least one said to have been written by a soap opera character. But this may be the first time that a book by a nonexistent writer who is thought to have died in a plane crash has cracked the charts.

The book is "Bad Twin," by Gary Troup, a character from ABC's hit drama series "Lost." Troup was on Oceanic Flight 815, the plane that crashed in the show's first episode.

After making the Publishers Weekly and Amazon.com best-seller lists, the book, published by Hyperion this month, will appear for the first time on the New York Times best-seller list on Sunday, at No. 14. Hyperion said more than 300,000 copies had been printed.

The porous relationship between fact and fiction has fans buzzing in cyberspace about Troup's real identity (Stephen King comes up often) and how clues in the novel correlate with the show's plot. "Lost" features roughly four dozen survivors of a flight from Sydney, Australia, to Los Angeles that crashed on a mysterious Pacific island where bad things keep happening. (Gary Troup is an anagram for "purgatory," a theory already dismissed by the show's creators.) The series, with an average of 15.3 million viewers a week, had its season finale on Wednesday.

"Whenever people can be creative in a way that gets people reading books, I'm happy," Robert S. Miller, the president of Hyperion, said of the mystery within a mystery.

Both Hyperion and ABC are divisions of the Walt Disney Company. Whether "Bad Twin" is good fiction, good marketing for "Lost" or both is a judgment call.

The novel follows the private detective Paul Artisan, who is helping the scion of a wealthy family find his twin brother. Entertainment Weekly called the book "a chewy snack for Lost-philes, though its mythological value is T.B.D."

Margaret Maupin, a buyer for the Tattered Cover bookstore in Denver, said "Bad Twin" sold out quickly there. "I'm not sure that the people who are buying this are your general book buyers, but they love the TV show," she said.

Ms. Maupin said she was unconcerned that a book by a fictional author, connected to a television show, crossed a line. "There have been so many scandals in the last year in the book business," she said. "Nothing shocks me and nothing offends me anymore."

"Bad Twin" represents a hybrid between content and marketing, said Michael Benson, the senior vice president of marketing at ABC.

"We wanted the audience to believe this was real," he said of "Lost," adding that Troup can be seen being sucked into an airplane engine in the first episode. In an episode broadcast on Feb. 8, one of the show's characters was seen reading a manuscript of the book with the title, author and publisher clearly visible. In another episode shown this month, another character was seen reading the same manuscript, only to have it thrown into a fire by Jack, one of the castaways.

On Web sites devoted to "Lost," fans have been debating the meaning of the book and how it figures in the Chinese-box puzzle that is the "Lost" plot. On ABC's site devoted to the show, one post declared that the book was an "alternate reality" experience relayed to Troup. ("That's the only thing that makes sense.") Meanwhile, on the site The Lost Experience are lists of possible clues: the names of the characters, various literary references (including "The Great Gatsby," "Beowulf" and "King Lear") and even references to the color green.

To add to the layers of marketing and mystery, the book has been denounced by the Hanso Foundation of Copenhagen, which is also part of the "Lost" puzzle. The island where the "Lost" characters are stranded has bomb-shelter-type hatches, where they find videotapes made by Hanso that suggest the island was used for experiments or for scientific research. On its Web site, the fictional Hanso tells visitors not to read Troup's book. Hyperion, in return, has taken out real advertisements in real newspapers defending the book.

"It's about perpetuating the mystery and what's going on," Mr. Benson said. "Everyone knows Harry Potter doesn't exist, but it sure makes it more fun to believe that Harry Potter is somewhere out there, in a magical place."

Robert Thompson, the director of the Bleier Center for Television and Popular Culture at Syracuse University, said there was a history of television shows' expanding their cultural equity into books. In 1990, he said, the book "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" was published to capitalize on the layered, mysterious show "Twin Peaks."

"What the entertainment industry has figured out is that 'Lost' is not just a television show; it's a lifestyle," Mr. Thompson said. "There's no limit. Not only are we going to see more books like 'Bad Twin' in the publishing business, but more shows like 'Lost,' in which you create this universe that people want to inhabit. You can make it real and put a price tag on it."

The jacket states that "Bad Twin" is Troup's "final novel before disappearing on Oceanic Flight 815," which went down in September 2004. The copyright page, though, mentions that the author is a fictional character.

Mr. Miller of Hyperion said the manuscript was given to him by two executive producers of "Lost," Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. He even expressed concern, in that clever "Lost" way, that the Hanso Foundation would ask for a recall of "Bad Twin."

As to whether the real author of "Bad Twin" will ever come forward, Mr. Miller was noncommittal. "What do you tell your children when they ask if there is a Santa Claus?" he asked.

Nice avatar, Jem! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Lost's Mystery Man Is Outed

Variety has identified the author of Hyperion Books' Bad Twin, the "novel" "penned" by ill-fated "Oceanic Flight 815 passenger" "Gary Troup," as no, not horrormeister Stephen King, but thriller writer/ghostwriter Laurence Shames. In making the reveal, Variety reports that Shames was supposed to include more series mythology and elements than he actually did, while Hyperion, despite the book's best-selling performance, may have been disappointed in a lack of on-screen mentions of Bad Twin.

Posted by Matt Webb Mitovich 06/19/2006 10:28 AM

• 3 months later...

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. This is the title of the 1st episode of season 3.

Did anyone see a title for the Stephen King book they were discussing in their book club? I'm wondering if this was just a tribute to all the fans who related LOST to King's book The Stand...

I have been playing the episode frame by frame to catch it, but nothing so far, for sure. It's pretty bad when you're a Stephen King junky AND and Lost addict. The book could either be: Danse Macabre, Salem's Lot or the Stand.

After thoroughly digesting episode 1, I am remended of King;s audio book "Blood and Smoke". I don't know if there is a text copy of it. It's three stories about three men with the only common theme is they are breaking the smoking habit.

Book description courtesy of stephenkingshop.com:

In Lunch at the Gotham Cafe, Steve Davis is suffering through intense withdrawal -- from both nicotine and his wife. His desperation for a cigarette and for his ex are almost too much to bear, but that's nothing compared to the horrors that await him at a trendy Manhattan restaurant. (Jack's situation)

In 1408, Mike Enslin, bestselling author of "true" ghost stories, decides to spend the night in New York City's most haunted hotel room. But he must live to write about it without the help of his ex best-friends, his trusty smokes. (Kate's situation, bit of a stretch)

And in In the Deathroom, a man named Fletcher is held captive in a South American stronghold. His captors will use any tortuous means necessary to extract the information they want from him. His only hope lies with his last request -- one last cigarette, please. (Sawyer's situation)

A cartonfull of chills and thrills, Blood and Smoke is classic Stephen King. The most mesmerizing storyteller of our time is at his inventive and compelling best.

It's Carrie...they're reading Carrie...man, I thought I was on to something... :(

Book covers:

carrie-new_us.gif

carrie_us.gif

Archived