Jennifer Hudson

TV_Paige

logo_playbill.gif

Jennifer Hudson to Star in 'Dreamgirls'

by Andrew Gans

jennifer_hudson200x275.jpg

Jennifer Hudson

The New York Daily News reports that "American Idol" finalist Jennifer Hudson has landed the much-sought-after role of Effie White in the upcoming film of "Dreamgirls." Irony played a part in that she beat out "American Idol" winner Fantasia for the role. Much like the role itself, this appears to be Hudson's big break.

Fantasia had long been rumored for the part that made a Broadway star of Jennifer Holiday, but it seems the role has gone to Hudson, who appeared in the Actors' Fund benefit concert of "Hair." Hudson told the Daily News, "I was sure Fantasia got [the part]. But they said they wanted me. They said I was born for this."

Hudson joins a stellar cast of A-List stars. As previously announced, the "Dreamgirls" film musical will feature Beyonc

I think this is great... I liked Jennifer and I'm sure she'll do an outstanding job. Seems like it's a great cast too.

bawgennav1.jpg

'Idol' Finalist Scores Role in 'Dreamgirls'

jenniferh9kp.jpg

Jennifer Hudson

It's only fitting that the role of Effie White in the upcoming film adaptation of "Dreamgirls" will be filled with another vocal powerhouse named Jennifer H. In its original Broadway run, Jennifer Holiday became an instant star as the memorable character left behind when her singing group, The Dreams, decided to go mainstream.

Holiday's show-stopping performance of "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going," just before the curtain falls on the first act, became bigger than the play itself and set the bar for any future actress who should take on the role. After an exhaustive search to find the perfect Effie, "American Idol" finalist Jennifer Hudson has been chosen to play the pivotal part for the "Dreamgirls" feature film.

Casting of the role of Effie White finally clears the way for production to begin as scheduled on January 9 for a December 2006 release. "Effie is such a hugely complex role," director and writer Bill Condon ("Chicago") told USA Today. "She is at once exasperating and heartbreaking. Jennifer emerged as the person who captured both sides."

fantasia_closeup.jpg

Fantasia Barrino was also in the running for the role

of Effie White in 'Dreamgirls'

Hudson, a gospel-reared singer with a six-octave range, lost her "American Idol" run to Fantasia Barrino, who ironically, was a strong frontrunner among the 783 hopefuls who auditioned for the part. Jamie Foxx, who will play the manager of The Dreams, even lobbied for Fantasia to be cast in the role. But this time, it was Hudson who emerged with the win.

"It is the ultimate, the greatest role in theater history," says the Chicago native, who was given the good news Saturday, November 19 while in Orlando working on her first album. "Why me? I'm still in shock. I just got to Los Angeles Monday night and started rehearsals yesterday."

americanidol_jennifer_215.gif

Jennifer Hudson

In addition to Foxx, Hudson's first feature film will co-star Beyonc

Reuters100x26.jpg

Keith Robinson Joins 'Dreamgirls' Cast

keith_robinson.jpg

Keith Robinson

Effie gets a 'reel' brother! In another key piece of casting, Keith Robinson has joined the lineup of the movie version of the Broadway musical "Dreamgirls," the tale of a '60s girl group loosely based on the Supremes. Robinson's credits range from "Fat Albert" to the recent FX series, "Over There" and NBC's "American Dreams."

Robinson will play the composer C.C., brother of the pivotal character of Effie, recently filled by former "American Idol" finalist Jennifer Hudson. The casting represents a particular coup because at one point, R&B heartthrob Usher was reported to be in negotiations for the part, though no deal was able to be reached.

With filming on the DreamWorks/Paramount Pictures production set to begin in January under the direction of Bill Condon ("Kinsey"), the rest of the cast is quickly taking shape. Last week, DreamWorks announced that Hudson will play Effie, the role made famous by Jennifer Holiday in the original 1981 Broadway show when Holiday belted out her signature tune, "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going."

Along with Hudson, Beyonc

• 1 year later...
Well, we didn't have to wait long for her first accolade as Effie White in "Dreamgirls." The 2006 National Board of Review Awards were announced today and Jennifer Hudson won! She shared the honor in a rare tie in the category of Breakthrough Performance by an Actress. Congrats Jennifer!

I am so thrilled for Jennifer Hudson, The Dream Girls movie should be great. She is the one person, that I was glsd to see to have success after American Idol. She should have taken second place, that year and Rubin should have come in third after Clay Aiken.

You go Jennifer! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I love Jennifer Hudson but what the hell has she been smoking

I dont even know what she is so POed about to be honest. Was she expecting the role of Effie to go to her? Because shes 46 and although I don't think 46 is old but i dont think hollywood or the viewers of the movie would think she was young if she had that part.

I love Jennifer Hudson but what the hell has she been smoking

I dont even know what she is so POed about to be honest. Was she expecting the role of Effie to go to her? Because shes 46 and although I don't think 46 is old but i dont think hollywood or the viewers of the movie would think she was young if she had that part.

What have you been smoking? First of all, where are you reading that she's pissed off? Secondly, Jennifer Hudson is not anywhere near 46 years old. I'm completely baffled by your post.

Could tvrocks have mistyped and meant to type Jennifer Holliday who originated the part of Effie White in "Dreamgirls" on Broadway? If so, I haven't read anything about her being upset but it's a distinct possibility. Just giving tvrocks the benefit of the doubt because it's easy to confuse the two Jennifers when typing because of the similarity of their names.

P.S. I just checked and Jennifer Holliday's birthday is October 19, 1960 which would make her 46. Jennifer Hudson's birthday is September 12, 1981 which would make her 25.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

:animated_bouncy::animated_bouncy:

so proud of her

I loved when Barbara Walters interviewed Jennifer in her special, and they showed specific clips of Simon Cowell, saying things like "you just don't have what it takes....you can't go any farther"...stuff like that.

Looks good on you Simon!!! :giggle:

• 1 year later...

CHICAGO

confirmed her mother and brother are died

Whoops, I just found out that the child missing is a little boy. He's 7 years old! I hope they find him!

Jennifer's BIL has been taken into custody though, or so I heard. Where is the little boy though??

Archived