The Triangle

Dade

Courtesy of: SCI-FI, THE TRIANGLE

THE TRIANGLE

Set against the mysteries of the Bermuda Tiangle, this three-night, SCI FI original miniseries event focuses on a desparate group of professionals, brought together to investigate the dangerous thruths behind of the the greatest legends of our time.

Billionaire Eric Benirall (Sam Neill) is losing his cargo ships and their crews at a frightening pace--and he wants answers. His bemused, handpicked team of subject-specific experts includes skeptical tabloid journalist Howard Thomas (Eric Stoltz), ocean resource engineer Emily Patterson (Catherine Bell), scientist/adventurer Bruce Geller (Michael Rodgers) and psychic Stan Lathem (Bruce Davison). Recruited with the promise of unlimited funding for their research and the chance for once-in-a-lifetime riches, the team sets out to solve this most daunting of puzzles.

Deepening the mystery are circumstances surrounding Meeno Paloma (Lou Diamond Phillips), a boat pilot who experienced the Triangle's deadly forces on a Greenpeace expedition--and whose life has never been the same since.

After a jetliner disappears over the Triangle, bizarre, unexplainable ocurences begin to affect each member of Benirall's team. When the government takes an alarming interest in their work, the four unlikely friends are drawn into something far more dangerous than they had believed possible. A research expedition engaged with the promise of riches swiftly becomes a frantic, head-turning ride through the unstoppable force that is The Triangle.

Courtesy of: SCI-FI WIRE

12:00 AM, 27-OCTOBER-05

triangletwoshot_tn.jpg

Finding The Angles In Triangle

Rockne O'Bannon, co-creator and executive producer of SCI FI Channel's upcoming original miniseries The Triangle, told SCI FI Wire that there's no way to provide a short synopsis. O'Bannon, who also created Farscape, wrote The Triangle and co-executive-produced the six-hour, three-night extravaganza with Bryan Singer (X-Men) and Dean Devlin (Independence Day).

"I don't think there's a TV Guide logline for this," O'Bannon said with a laugh in an interview. "A group of experts [Catherine Bell, Bruce Davison, Michael Rodgers and Eric Stoltz] with very disparate disciplines, but all experts in their fields, come together at the behest of a shipping company run by Sam Neill to try to find the answer to what everyone assumes is the impossible, which is the definitive answer for what's caused the century-after-century disappearances of ships and planes [in the Bermuda Triangle]."

O'Bannon added: "The script comes at it exactly like I came to the project and like I think a lot our audience will come to the miniseries, which is with a real jaundiced eye. How can this group come up with a definitive answer when other people have been looking at this for so many years? What's fun is this group is really smart, but also really cynical. That's night one. And by night two, they're really turned around. They're saying, 'Wait, there is something going on here. There is something to explore, and there is an answer to be found.' And we've got the perfect group together to come together to do this."

O'Bannon added with another laugh: "That's a long logline. I should try to distill it down. Essentially, it's a group of experts [who] come together to try to answer the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle, and they do so. That sounds kind of trite, but this isn't your '70s Michael Crichton-style sci-fi. I'd like to hope it's quite a bit more than that." The Triangle debuts in December.

12:00 AM, 28-OCTOBER-05

davison_thetriangle_tn.jpg

Davison Psyches Out Triangle

Bruce Davison, who co-stars as psychic Stan Lathem in the upcoming SCI FI Channel original miniseries The Triangle, told SCI FI Wire that he made first contact with executive producer Bryan Singer about the possibility of partaking in the project. "I called Bryan up because I'd heard about it," Davison (Singer's X-Men) said in an interview. "He said, 'Yeah, come. Let's go.' That was really nice, that that happened."

Davison added: "He's a real decent guy. That's what he does. He's a standup guy. He does that a lot, works with people he's worked with before. I worked with him back on Apt Pupil and then the X-Men movies."

A three-night, six-hour miniseries, The Triangle stars Sam Neill as a billionaire businessman who gathers together a quartet of people to solve once and for all the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle. There's a tabloid journalist (Eric Stoltz), a scientist/adventurer (Michael Rodgers), an ocean resource engineer (Catherine Bell) and a psychic (Davison).

Davison and his co-stars shot The Triangle in South Africa over a period of three months. The production, the actor said, was a tough one. "We got very wet," Davison said. "There are an awful lot of special effects. It's got a great cast, and we've got interesting characters to play. We had a blast. But a lot of it is going to depend on all the stuff that was behind the green screen. It is strange. It always really depends on the quality of what's put in there after we do our work."

Davison added: "But when you've got guys like Bryan Singer and [co-executive producer] Dean Devlin involved, they know how to deliver the goods. And they've got the reputation of their good work. I also knew that what we were doing before the special effects got involved would be good, because we had Craig Baxley directing us. I'd worked with Craig on [ABC's] Kingdom Hospital, and he's solid. He can be in the midst of any storm or chaos, and he'll always keep his cool and keep his eye on the performances." The Triangle debuts in December.

12:00 AM, 31-OCTOBER-05

bell_triangle_tn.jpg

Bell Chimes In On Triangle

Catherine Bell, star of the SCI FI Channel's upcoming original miniseries The Triangle, told SCI FI Wire that she got a kick out of her character, ocean resource engineer Emily Patterson. "Emily is a real scientist," Bell said in an interview. "She's a bit of a tough girl. You find her on an oil rig with all of these guys when you first meet her. She's very independent, and she's very scientific."

In The Triangle, a billionaire businessman (Sam Neill) hires a quartet of people to solve the riddles of the Bermuda Triangle. Among the characters: a scientist/adventure (Michael Rodgers), a psychic (Bruce Davison) and a tabloid journalist (Eric Stoltz).

"[Patterson] really doesn't want to be on the ship, doesn't want to be heading into the [bermuda] Triangle," Bell said. "It's all a bunch of crap to her, this whole Bermuda Triangle thing. Then things start happening to her, and her life gets turned upside down. I think the strongest thing about the script is that the story is fantastic, but the characters are so good as well. It just takes the whole project to another level, which is exciting."

Less exciting, Bell said, were the production challenges. "We were wet and freezing," the actress said. "It was winter in South Africa, and we were wet for three-quarters of the shoot. We were on a cigarette boat, on a fake cigarette boat, on a stage that was being rocked around all over the place. We had water cannons blasting at us, with rain machines on top of that. We had wind machines. We had to hold on to not fall off the submarine or the cigarette boat or whatever it was we were on. I saw [co-executive producer] Dean Devlin on the set one day, and I just looked at him. We had wetsuits on under our clothes, but we were soaking wet. I was taking my boots off and pouring tons of water out of [them]. Dean just looked at me and said, 'You wanted to be an action star.' I was like, 'Yeah, I did. I didn't know it was this hard.'" The Triangle premieres in December.

12:00 AM, 14-NOVEMBER-05

flight19_tn.jpg

SCI FI Investigates Bermuda Triangle

SCI FI Channel will investigate the phenomenon of the Bermuda Triangle in a new two-hour SCI FI Declassified investigative special called The Bermuda Triangle: Startling New Secrets, premiering Nov. 27 at 9 p.m. ET/PT. The special will be hosted by NBC/MSNBC news anchor Lester Holt and produced by NBC News Productions.

Debuting a week before the Dec. 5 premiere of SCI FI Channel's original miniseries The Triangle, the special will follow new leads and employ the latest tools of modern science in an effort to unravel the decades-old mystery of the Bermuda Triangle and the unexplained disappearance of Flight 19, a squadron of Navy bombers that took off over the Bermuda Triangle in 1945 and was never heard from again. Flight 19's training run will be meticulously recreated using a vintage 1940s Navy Avenger aircraft. To accompany The Bermuda Triangle: Startling New Secrets, SCI FI.COM will offer a minute-by-minute podcast by pilot Rick Siegfried as he retraces the exact flight path.

Over the years many theories have been put forth in an attempt to explain the strange phenomena of the Bermuda Triangle. Magnetic vortices, space-time warps, extraterrestrial activity and an ancient energy source from the lost city of Atlantis have all been proposed as potential causes; The Bermuda Triangle: Startling New Secrets explores them all.

The Triangle premieres Dec. 5 at 9 p.m.

12:00 AM, 16-NOVEMBER-05

triangletwoshot_tn.jpg

Singer Believes In The Triangle

Bryan Singer, executive producer of the SCI FI Channel's upcoming original miniseries The Triangle, told SCI FI Wire that he truly believes something strange is going on in the legendary ship- and plane-swallowing part of the ocean called the Bermuda Triangle. In the miniseries, a billionaire (Sam Neill) recruits four experts (Catherine Bell, Bruce Davison, Michael Rodgers and Eric Stoltz) to help him at long last solve the riddles of the Bermuda Triangle.

"Oh, it's definitely an area that's seen a lot more tragedy and disappearances than any other area in the world, unless you put a spike through the Earth and have it come out at the Devil's Sea, on the other side of the planet, which is also an area with a lot of disturbances and problems," Singer (X-Men, the upcoming Superman Returns) said in an interview. "But the Bermuda Triangle is kind of notorious, and it's been made famous primarily by a few key disappearances in the 1940s. But then, when one looks back through history, you find that in this century alone over 1,000 ships and planes disappeared. And we're talking real disappearances. Very often there's no call or warning. They're simply off-radio. And very often it's in clear weather."

Singer added: "Now keep in mind that it's also an area with a lot of illegal trafficking. So for all those known disappearances of large craft, commercial craft, there's also probably countless disappearances of drug-running planes, ill-equipped aircraft, really crappy, un-seaworthy vessels that may have been destined to sink or crash anyway. But they were in the area, too. It's very tricky. There's a lot of stuff going on between the protectorates and the mainland United States." The three-night miniseries The Triangle debuts at 9 p.m. ET/PT Dec. 5 on SCI FI.

Courtesy of: SCI-FI WIRE, SCHEDULE

(Poster note: LOL did it mention it starts Dec 5?)

December 5 (all times eastern)

09:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 1

11:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 1

01:00 AM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 1

December 6

07:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 1

09:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 2

11:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 2

01:00 AM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 2

December 7

07:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 2

09:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 3

11:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 3

01:00 AM ORIGINAL MINISERIES TRIANGLE, THE - PART 3

(Poster note: Normally I wouldn't post a news article like this in a TV thread, but I thought it was unusual when I read the date of the disappearance.....December 5, 1945. Is it coincidence or planning that The Triangle starts 60 years to the day from the disappearance of the flight?)

Courtesy of: CNN.COM

Bermuda Triangle dead honored after 60 years

House resolution doesn't solve mystery of planes' disappearance

Thursday, November 17, 2005; Posted: 6:14 p.m. EST (23:14 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The disappearance of Flight 19, a Navy mission that began the myth of the Bermuda Triangle, is still unexplained, but not forgotten, 60 years later.

The 27 Navy airmen who disappeared somewhere off Florida's coast on December 5, 1945, were honored in a House resolution Thursday. Rep. Clay Shaw, R-Florida, said he hoped the gesture would help bring closure for surviving families.

What happened is the question that has befuddled, entertained and tormented skeptics and those who believe that the Bermuda Triangle -- a stretch of ocean between Puerto Rico, Bermuda and Miami -- is an area of supernatural phenomena.

"There's just so many weird things here that experienced pilots would have not acted this way," Shaw said. "Something happened out there."

Five U.S. Navy Avenger airplanes left the Fort Lauderdale Naval Air Station on a routine training mission over the Bahamas. The five pilots and nine crewmen, led by instructor Lt. Charles Taylor, were to practice bombing and low-level strafing on small coral shoals 60 miles east of the naval station. They were then to turn north to practice mapping and then southwest to home. The entire flight, which Air Station pilots took three or four times a day, should have lasted three hours.

Radio reports overheard by ground control and other airplanes indicate the compasses on Taylor's plane malfunctioned 90 minutes into the mission.

With no instruments to guide him over the open ocean, Taylor thought the flight had drifted off-course and was actually south over the Florida Keys. As a result, he directed the planes to fly due north to hit land.

"He was not in the Keys, he was out in the end of the Bahama chain," said David White, who at the time was a flight instructor stationed at Fort Lauderdale. "When he went north, he was going out to the wide ocean."

Just about the time the squadron was to have landed back at Fort Lauderdale, a last radio message from Taylor was received: They would keep flying "until we hit the beach or run out of gas." Because of weakening radio signals, no reading could be made on the direct location of the planes.

Radio messages show that some of the students wanted to fly east, said Allan McElhiney, president of the Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale Historical Association.

Yet military discipline overruled.

"You stay with the leader, that's the Navy way," McElhiney said.

The mystery deepened when a few hours later a Navy rescue airplane, a Martin Mariner with 13 crewmen, also vanished. A passing ship reported seeing bright lights in the sky indicating what could be an in-air explosion, but that could not be confirmed.

The next morning, White became part of one of the largest rescue missions in American naval history. Civilian vessels and units of the Coast Guard, Army and Navy scoured an area of more than 250,000 square miles, but no wreckage was found.

"In all the times I remember, we never had one plane missing," White said. "Five, all qualified, pilots missing at one time? I couldn't believe it."

Even the official review offered little explanation. The Navy Board of Inquiry report concluded, "We are not able to even make a good guess as to what happened."

Did Flight 19 turn east? Was landfall ever reached? Where was the debris?

Several ocean expeditions, documentaries and books offer varying theories, ranging from paranormal activities to sightings of alien activity. The SCI-FI channel will broadcast a new documentary November 27.

Bermuda Triangle author Gian Quasar believes electromagnetic anomalies in the area's atmosphere led to the demise of Flight 19. Such "electronic fog" can cause needles on compasses and other instruments to spin. This fog comes and goes and can cause pilots to become disoriented, Quaser said.

"It's something that will seize the aircraft and travel with you," he said. "You are not flying into the fog, it is flying with you."

In the years that David White flew out of Fort Lauderdale, none of his instrumentation ever malfunctioned. He thinks the planes crash-landed east of Florida and the airmen died on impact or drowned in the stormy waters. And the Mariner? That type of plane had such a history of accidents it was known as the "flying gas can," he said.

"It was pure and simple pilot error," said Joan Pietrucha, the niece of Howell Thompson, one of the navigators on Flight 19. "I don't believe in wacky compasses."

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ROUSH REVIEW

Without a Trace

Murky mysteries in the Bermuda Triangle

I've become spoiled by Sci Fi Channel's annual December miniseries

I haven't been able to find out when its on in Canada Ranster. The only thing the scifi site says is that it starts Dec. 5.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

An All-Star Cast Explores The Triangle

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Starting tonight at 9 pm/ET, Sci Fi Channel will explore The Triangle

Courtesy of: SCI-FI WIRE

12:00 AM, 07-DECEMBER-05

Triangle Rings Up High Ratings

The Dec. 5 premiere of SCI FI Channel's original miniseries The Triangle was the highest-rated program to air on the network since 2003 and is SCI FI's highest-rated miniseries premiere since 2002's Steven Spielberg Presents Taken, the channel announced. Triangle's first episode averaged a 3.7 household rating, or more than 4.3 million viewers, in its 9-11 p.m. timeslot.

The Triangle delivered more total viewers than Fox's Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential, as well as all programs on The WB and UPN.

The Triangle was also the number-one non-sports program on cable for the day in household ratings and audience delivery. The Triangle concludes at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Dec. 7.

Archived