39th Annual CMA Awards

TV_Paige

ap_100.jpg

Womack, Paisley Lead CMA Award Nominations

Womack.jpg

Lee Ann Womack is nominated for six CMA Awards.

Lee Ann Womack's return to rootsy country was richly rewarded as she received six Country Music Association Award nominations, tying her with Brad Paisley as the most nominated artist. Womack's album "There's More Where That Came From" was nominated for album of the year and "I May Hate Myself in the Morning" was nominated for single and music video of the year. (The bittersweet ballad also was nominated for song of the year.)

Womack was nominated for female vocalist of the year and was recognized twice in the musical event of the year category for her duets with George Strait and Willie Nelson. "I thought it would be nice if I got one or two," Womack told The Associated Press after she and Keith Urban announced the nominations in New York. "Everything after that was just icing on the cake."

The 39th annual CMA Awards will air live on CBS from Madison Square Garden on November 15. It will be the first time the event has been held in New York instead of Nashville, Tennessee, where it will return next year. Womack said the move will be good to "shake things up a little bit. I think it's a good shot to the arm, it will provide a lot of new energy and excitement."

bradpaisley240x200.jpg

Brad Paisley received six CMA Award Nominations.

Paisley, who just released the album "Time Well Wasted," was nominated for his self-penned hit "Alcohol," which was nominated for single, song and music video of the year. He was also nominated for entertainer of the year, along with Urban, Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith and Alan Jackson. Paisley's other nominations were for male vocalist and musical event of the year for his duet with Sara Evans, "New Again."

After Womack's breakthrough 2000 song, "I Hope You Dance," made her a multiplatinum artist, the singer ventured into more pop-country material, with the emphasis on pop. However, "There's More Where That Came From," released earlier this year, was pure retro country. Womack said the material on her album gave her the musical inspiration she was needing.

"I was at a loss for exactly what I needed to do and when I heard 'I May Hate Myself in the Morning,' it kind of gave me a whole new reason to make music again," she said of the song, about two friends getting together romantically for one night. "It reminded me so much of the music that I listened to when I was a kid. . . . This is the music I was born to make."

KeithUrban240x200.jpg

Keith Urban is up for four CMA Awards.

Urban, another multiple nominee with four each, joked when Womack's name was mentioned several times. "You were not available for this one, apparently," Urban said as he read the nominees for vocal group of the year. Keith also had four nominations, including song and single of the year for "As Good as I Once Was."

Gretchen Wilson, who has a new album out later this month, is still getting accolades for her triple-platinum breakthrough album, "Redneck Woman." The title track was nominated for song of the year, and marked one of her three nominations. Wilson also was nominated for female vocalist and music video of the year for "When I Think About Cheatin'."

Dierks Bentley, Big & Rich, Miranda Lambert, Julie Roberts and Sugarland were nominated for the Horizon Award, which honors rising country artists. Lambert said the nomination was something she's dreamed of since childhood. "I've been a fan of the CMA Awards; I used to watch it and have a tablet in front of me," the 21-year-old told the AP. "Four years ago, I told my parents I wanted to be up for a Horizon Award . . . reaching a goal in my career already is huge."

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

CMA_NYC_300x150.jpg

date_right_67x42.jpgdate2_88x42.jpgdate3_78x42.jpgdate_right_67x42.jpg

hosted_by_300x160.jpg

A tip of the ten-gallon hat to Brad Paisley and Lee Ann Womack. The country crooners wrangled themselves six nominations apiece to lead this year's contenders for the 39th Annual Country Music Association Awards.

Brooks & Dunn, up for their umpteenth nomination in the Vocal Duo category (which, by now should just be called Brooks & Dunn Award), will serve as emcees for the 2005 CMAs. The ceremony will air live from Madison Square Garden November 15 on CBS.

Brad Paisley was nominated for the top prize, Entertainer of the Year, and Male Vocalist; his hit tune "Alcohol" is up for Single, Song and Music Video of the Year; and his duet with Sara Evans on "New Again" is in the running for Musical Event of the Year.

image.gif

Lee Ann Womack

Lee Ann Womack is up for so many awards that when Keith Urban read the list of contenders for Vocal Group, he quipped: "You were not available for this one, apparently." He's one to talk. The singer scored four nods, including Entertainer of the Year and Male Vocalist.

Womack, on hand in New York City to help announce the nominations with Urban, scored nods for Female Vocalist; Single and Music Video for "I May Hate Myself in the Morning"; Album for "There's More Where That Came From."

Womack is competing with herself in the Musical Event category with her duets "Good News, Bad News" with George Strait and "I'll Never Be Free" with Willie Nelson. The last female performer to garner a half-dozen nominations was Faith Hill in 2000.

Sugarland.jpg

Sugarland

For the first time in the history of country music's most prestigious awards, the CMAs will be relocated from Nashville to the Big Apple in an attempt to broaden viewership--or, as Womack puts it, "shake things up a little bit." (Organizers say the move is a one-year experiment and the awards will be back in their traditional home base next year.)

Aside from Paisley and Urban, Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Toby Keith will vie for Entertainer of the Year. Keith tied Urban with four nods, including Song and Single of the Year for "As Good as I Once Was." Other top nominees were Rascal Flatts, George Strait and Gretchen Wilson, each of whom earned three nominations in various CMA Award categories.

Also, receiving three CMA nods, the red hot trio Sugarland made a splash with its first CMA bids, including Single of the Year for "Baby Girl"--the longest running single on the Billboard Country Singles Chart since recordkeeping began. Sugarland is also up for Vocal Group and the Horizon Award, which honors rising stars and was one last year by Wilson. Dierks Bentley, Big & Rich, Miranda Lambert and Julie Roberts round out that category.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it being moved to NY for a year? I've yet to figure that out. We're the Counrty Music Capitol of the World.......but hey.......lets hold the CMA's in New York! Yeah.....that sounds good....... <_<

It's like holding the Emmy's or the Golden Globes in Denver or something. I don't get it.

• 1 month later...

ap_100.jpg

Lee Ann Womack Earns Three CMA Awards

by Nekesa Mumbi Moody, AP Music Writer

womack3.jpg

Lee Ann Womack is all smiles backstage at the CMA

Awards after winning three CMA Awards of her own.

With its country twang intact, the CMA Awards held its first shindig in New York (New York City? . . . get a rope!) with its country twang intact during the evening ceremony on Tuesday, November 15, as Madison Square Garden was transformed into the Grand Ole Opry with rootsy performances from Lee Ann Womack, Gretchen Wilson, Sara Evans and Rascal Flatts.

Appropriately, Womack emerged as the leader with three wins, including album of the year for "There's More Where That Came From." The album marked her return to more traditional country music after a detour through pop-infused material.

"Oh my God, I love country music!" Womack shouted as she accepted her award for single of the year for "I May Hate Myself In the Morning," a bittersweet ballad from an album that marked her return to traditional country after she had spent time singing more pop-infused material. Earlier in the evening, she won for best musical event for her duet with George Strait, "Good News, Bad News."

RascalFlatts.jpg

Rascal Flatts won the CMA Award for Vocal Group of the Year.

Backstage, she said she hoped her wins would encourage more of her kind of country music. "Sometimes I think we are scared of real country music but a message like what was in that song, that transcends any boundaries, and a great song is a great song," said Womack of "I May Hate Myself."

The Country Music Association uprooted the awards show from its traditional home in Nashville to shine in New York's international spotlight at one of the city's most famous venues. Although New York's skyline was the visual backdrop for the show and the ceremony was peppered by such non-country names like Elton John, Billy Joel, Donald Trump, James Gandolfini, Bon Jovi and Norah Jones, Nashville's influence was hardly diluted in the process.

Country music has been criticized in years past for drifting more toward pop, but it seemed the evening's performers were determined to "keep it country" in the Big Apple. Even country's most mainstream couple, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, seemed retro with their performance of "Like We Never Loved at All."

big_rich.jpg

Big & Rich opened the CMA Awards with 'Comin' To Your City.'

The show kicked off with a fitting performance by Big & Rich, who have shaken up country by mixing various genres, including hip-hop, in their music. The pair performed "Comin' To Your City," crooning: "We're comin' to New York City, we're gonna play our guitar and sing you a country song."

The show's highlights included a performance by Garth Brooks in the middle of Times Square. In front of frenzied fans, Brooks sang "Good Ride Cowboy," a tribute to his friend and fellow country singer Chris LeDoux, who died of liver cancer this year.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg appeared, and other comments and quips also helped infuse the city in the show. Vince Gill did his best Bronx accent when he joked, "There's like a rule here in New York, that you can't do a show without a guy named Vinnie."

BradPaisley.jpg

Brad Paisley went home empty-handed despite six

Country Music Association Award nominations.

But it was mainly a Nashville party, which pop's stars joined as well. Jones played piano while Willie Nelson sang "Still Crazy After All These Years," and Paul Simon joined the pair and sang "Crazy." Even Elton John conformed to country, singing "Turn the Lights Out When You Leave" with Dolly Parton. The pair also sang John Lennon's "Imagine."

Womack and Brad Paisley led all award nominees with six each, though Paisley went home empty-handed. Jon Randall and Bill Anderson won song of the year for "Whiskey Lullaby," sung by Alison Krauss and Paisley. "I've probably been writing songs in Nashville longer than anybody. My first co-writer was Andrew Jackson," Anderson joked

Keith Urban was a dual winner, winning entertainer of the year and male vocalist of the year. Toby Keith won music video of the year for "As Good As I Once Was" and Gretchen Wilson became emotional when she accepted best female vocalist. Dierks Bentley took home the Horizon Award for emerging artists and dobro player, Jerry Douglas nabbed musician of the year.

urban_qt.jpg

Keith Urban poses backstage with one of his

two 2005 CMA Awards.

The CMA show's move was designed to raise its profile in New York City. While country generates plenty of multiplatinum superstars and New York is one of its top markets in terms of album sales, it lacks a major presence here, including a radio station devoted to the genre.

The Country Music Hall of Fame is devoted to the recognition of noteworthy individuals for their outstanding contributions to Country Music. Founded in 1961 by the Country Music Association, the Hall of Fame currently counts 92 individuals and groups among members. New 2005 Hall of Fame Inductees included Country Music Legends DeFord Bailey, Glen Campbell and Alabama. (see full story below)

Since the move to New York City was a one-time stint for the Country Music Awards, nitty gritty Country Music fans will be glad to know the award show will return to Nashville for its 40th anniversary next year. Yee Haw!

urban_entertainer_300x200.jpg

Entertainer of the Year

Keith Urban

Single of the Year

(Award Goes to Artist and Producer)

Single: "I May Hate Myself In The Morning"

Artist: Lee Ann Womack

Producer: Byron Gallimore

Publisher: MCA Nashville

Album of the Year

(Award Goes to Artist and Producer)

Album: "There's More Where That Came From"

Artist: Lee Ann Womack

Producer: Byron Gallimore/Greg Droman

Song of the Year

(Award Goes to Songwriter and Primary Publisher)

Song: "Whiskey Lullaby"

Songwriter: Bill Anderson/Jon Randall

Primary Publisher: Sony/ATV/Mr. Bubba Music/Reynsong/Wha Ya Say Music

Female Vocalist of the Year

Gretchen Wilson

Male Vocalist of the Year

Keith Urban

Horizon Award

(For Emerging Performer)

Dierks Bentley

Vocal Group of the Year

Rascal Flatts

Vocal Duo of the Year

Brooks & Dunn

Musical Event of the Year

Musical Event: "Good News, Bad News"

Artist: George Strait with Lee Ann Womack

Musician of the Year

Jerry Douglas

hall_of_fame300x140.jpg

hall_of_fame300x55.jpg

The Country Music Hall of Fame is devoted to the recognition of noteworthy individuals for their outstanding contributions to Country Music. Founded in 1961 by the Country Music Association, the Hall of Fame currently counts 92 individuals and groups among members.

Jimmie Rodgers, Fred Rose and Hank Williams were the first inductees into the Hall of Fame in 1961. Prior to the 1968 CMA Awards, when the inductees were first announced during the Awards, the Hall of Fame inductees were announced at CMA's anniversary banquet and show.

The election of Country Music Hall of Fame members takes place annually in two stages: nominating and electing. A Hall of Fame nominating committee of industry leaders first nominates a slate of 10 to 20 Hall of Fame candidates for each category. From these names, five nominees are chosen by an anonymous panel of approximately 300 Hall of Fame electors.

These electors, who are selected by the CMA Board of Directors, must themselves have participated actively in Country Music for at least 10 years and must merit respect and recognition for their accomplishments and/or knowledge in one or more aspects of Country Music.

After the five finalists have been selected, a second ballot listing their names was sent out to the electors, who then voted to select the inductee for that year. The balloting is conducted by the international accounting firm, Deloitte & Touche LLP.

DeFord Bailey will be inducted in the "Career Achieved National Prominence Prior to World War II" category, which is awarded every third year in a rotation with the "Recording and/or Touring Musician Active Prior to 1980" and "Non-Performer' categories.

Glen Campbell will be inducted in the "Career Achieved National Prominence Between World War II and 1975" category. Alabama will be the first artist inducted in the new "Career Achieved National Prominence Between 1975 and the Present" category created earlier this year. Alabama, Campbell and Bailey will increase the Hall of Fame membership from 92 to 95.

hall_of_fame_footer.jpg

hall_of_fame300x140.jpg

hall_of_fame300x55.jpg

deford_bailey.jpg

Born in Smith County, Tennessee in 1899, Bailey suffered from infantile paralysis, which left him with a deformed back and only allowed him to grow to an eventual height of 4 feet 10 inches. Bailey's father and uncle were noted musicians who played what they referred to as "black hillbilly music." They taught young Bailey to play banjo, fiddle, guitar and, what would become his signature instrument, harmonica.

Bailey began playing harmonica professionally around Smith County at age 14 and moved to Nashville in 1925. Around this time he met Dr. Humphrey Bate, a respected physician and harmonica player who introduced Bailey to George D. Hay. Hay, who was known as "The Solemn Old Judge," was both announcer and booking agent for the "WSM Barn Dance."

Bate's support was instrumental in Bailey being accepted as the first African American artist to join the national radio show. In 1927, the "WSM Barn Dance" was renamed the "Grand Ole Opry" with Bailey becoming one of the radio show's first solo stars. He performed on 49 of the 52 Opry programs during its first year under the new name, more than any other artist.

Bailey recorded albums in the late '20s on labels including Brunswick, Columbia and Victor. His recordings are critically viewed as the first decently recorded examples of harmonica playing, and his best-known songs were "John Henry," "Fox Chase," "Muscle Shoals Blues" and his signature tune "Pan American Blues."

His success helped create opportunities for other harmonica players to record and perform across the country. In addition to recording and performing on the 'Opry,' Bailey often worked road shows with other Opry acts during the '30s, including opening for Roy Acuff as well as a package tour with Uncle Dave Macon.

Bailey left the music industry in 1941. He returned to the "Grand Ole Opry" stage in 1974 to inaugurate the "First Annual Old Timers Show." In 1982, he passed away at the age of 83. Bailey's pioneering efforts have been an inspiration to many, including fellow Country Music Hall of Fame member Charley Pride.

hall_of_fame_footer.jpg

hall_of_fame300x140.jpg

hall_of_fame300x55.jpg

glen_campbell.jpg

Born in Delight, Arkansas in 1936, Campbell received his first guitar at the age of four. While studying the recordings of jazz guitarists Barney Kessel and Django Reinhardt, Campbell learned to sing at church. At age 14 he began performing in Country Music bands across Arkansas, New Mexico and Texas.

At age 18, Campbell's band, The Western Wranglers, toured the South and at age 22, he moved to Los Angeles to become a session musician. During the early '60s, Campbell played guitar on records for The Association, Bobby Darin, Merle Haggard, Dean Martin, The Mamas and the Papas, The Monkees, Ricky Nelson, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and many others.

Campbell released a couple of pop singles on the Crest and Capitol labels with limited success. He also sang and played guitar on "Kentucky Means Paradise" by the Green River Boys, which became a top-20 Country hit in 1969. In 1965, Campbell became a touring member of the Beach Boys for several months after Brian Wilson retired from the road.

Capitol Records, the label home of the Beach Boys, soon offered Campbell his own recording contract, and in 1967, he hit No. 18 on the Country charts with "Burning Bridges." Although promoted as a Country artist, Campbell quickly became a popular crossover artist. "Gentle On My Mind" hit the Top-40 of both the Country and Pop charts.

Showing his song versatility, Campbell's hit song, "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" reached No. 2 on the Country chart and No. 26 on the Pop chart. His successful singles continued with "I Wanna Live" and "Dreams of the Everyday Housewife."

CBS Television made Campbell a household name in 1968 when "The Glen Campbell Good-Time Hour" debuted on the air. For four years, Campbell hosted his successful television series, introducing musical talents such as John Hartford and Jerry Reed to the nation.

During this time Campbell remained a dominant force on the radio with "Wichita Lineman," "Galveston," "Try A Little Kindness" and other hit songs. He recorded duets with Bobbie Gentry, resulting in two hit remakes of the Everly Brothers classics "Let It Be Me" and "All I Have To Do Is Dream."

In 1969, Campbell made his film debut in the John Wayne classic, "True Grit." And in 1972, he hosted "The Sixth Annual CMA Awards," which was broadcast on CBS. In 1975, Campbell topped both the Country and pop charts with the song that would become his signature tune, "Rhinestone Cowboy."

Campbell continued to have Top 10 success on the Country charts with singles such as "Country Boy (You Got Your Feet In L.A.)" and "Don't Pull Your Love/Then You Can Tell Him Goodbye" before returning to the No. 1 spot on both the Country and pop charts with "Southern Nights" in 1977.

Throughout the '80s, Campbell remained a presence on Country radio with songs such as "Faithless Love," "A Lady Like You," "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle," "I Have You" and "She's Gone, Gone, Gone."

Moving into the '90s, Campbell recorded inspirational music and performed regularly at his Goodtime Theater in Branson, Mo. He published his autobiography, "Rhinestone Cowboy," in 1994. Over more than four decades, Campbell placed more than 75 songs on the Country charts; 35 of which crossed over to the pop charts.

Campbell received CMA Awards in 1968 for Entertainer and Male Vocalist of the Year. He received a Double Platinum, 5 Platinum and 12 Gold album certifications from the RIAA. He also received Gold single certifications for "Wichita Lineman," "Galveston," "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Southern Nights."

hall_of_fame_footer.jpg

hall_of_fame300x140.jpg

hall_of_fame300x55.jpg

alabama.jpg

In Fort Payne, Alabama, cousins Randy Owen (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Teddy Gentry (bass guitar, harmony vocals) and Jeff Cook (lead guitar, keyboards, fiddle, harmony vocals) teamed in the late '60s to form several bands including Young Country and Wildcountry.

The trio, along with a number of different drummers, honed their skills in nightclubs across the Southeast. Changing their name to Alabama in 1977 and adding drummer Mark Herndon in 1979, the band solidified their lineup and soon signed with RCA Records, where they have remained throughout their amazing career.

Alabama met immediate success with radio and the fans. Their first RCA album, "My Home's In Alabama," was released in May 1980. It featured the hit title cut as well as "Tennessee River" and "Why Lady Why." The album was certified Double Platinum by the RIAA for more than two million units sold.

Alabama's sophomore album, "Feels So Right," was certified Quadruple Platinum for more than four million units sold and contained the hits "Old Flame," "Love in the First Degree" and the title cut. "Mountain Music," the band's third album, was certified Quintuple Platinum for more than five million units sold. It produced the hits "Take Me Down," "Close Enough To Perfect" and the title cut.

The band continued to release hit albums and singles throughout the '80s and '90s, producing 42 No. 1 hit singles. Additional hits include "Roll On," "If You're Gonna Play In Texas," "The Closer You Get," "Dixieland Delight," "Lady Down On Love," "Song of the South," "Forever's As Far As I'll Go," "I'm In A Hurry," "Angels Among Us," "In Pictures" and many more.

Alabama was more than just a collection of great musicians. The four members of Alabama co-produced every album, showcasing their skills both in front of the microphone and behind the mixing board. Owen wrote several of the classic Alabama hits, including "Tennessee River," "Feels So Right," "Mountain Music" and "Lady Down On Love."

In addition, bandmates Owen and Gentry co-wrote several hits, including "My Home's In Alabama" and "Dancin', Shaggin' on the Boulevard." Plus, Gentry and Cook both contributed songs featured on many of the albums. Alabama created a new standard on tour, utilizing state-of-the-art production similar to what the top rock and pop acts of the day were using.

Alabama's music and high-energy stage shows brought Country Music new young audience who enjoyed Lynyrd Skynyrd and Yes as much as Waylon Jennings and Dolly Parton. Alabama's success paved the way for many other top Country Music groups such as Diamond Rio, Dixie Chicks, Lonestar, Rascal Flatts and Restless Heart.

With more than 65 million albums sold, Alabama is the best selling Country Music group of all time and among the 20 best-selling recording acts of all time in the United States. The band has sold more albums in the United States than Boston, Chicago, Eric Clapton, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Foreigner and Journey, among others.

Alabama has received nine CMA Awards including the first ever three consecutive wins as Entertainer of the Year (1982-1984). They were awarded Album of the Year in 1983 for "The Closer You Get." Plus, Alabama won Vocal Group of the Year (1981-1983) and Instrumental Group of the Year (1981 and 1982).

Throughout their career, Alabama have received more than 150 industry awards and were named "Country Group of the Century" by the RIAA in 1999. Alabama retired from the road after a sold-out 2003-2004 "Farewell Tour." A career-spanning "25th Anniversary Box Set" will be released in early 2006.

hall_of_fame_footer.jpg

award_bullet_200x250.jpg

CMT Retelecasts '39th Annual CMA Awards'

NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Country music fans will get a second chance to celebrate their favorite artists as CMT telecasts the "39th Annual CMA Awards," hosted by multi-platinum duo Brooks & Dunn, on Thursday, November 24 at 8:00-11:00 p.m., ET/PT. Previously aired on CBS, this year marks the show's first ever broadcast from New York City's Madison Square Garden.

The three-hour television event features performances by superstars including Kenny Chesney, Garth Brooks, Dolly Parton with Sir Elton John, Bon Jovi with Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles and Willie Nelson with Paul Simon. Award-winning Bluegrass artists Alison Krauss and Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas performed at the CMA's as well as Krauss' "Whiskey Lullaby" duet partner, Brad Paisley.

Newcomer "American Idol's," Carrie Underwood takes to the New York music stage with fellow Country artists Dierks Bentley, Big & Rich, Brooks & Dunn, Sara Evans, Faith Hill, Alan Jackson, Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts, Julie Roberts, George Strait and Sugarland, Top CMA Award winners Keith Urban, Gretchen Wilson and Lee Ann Womack entertained with current hits.