Season Two

Variety

ABC Refills 'Dance' Card

by Josef Adalian

dancers.jpg

'Dancing With the Stars'

ABC is planning a ballroom blitz next year, ordering up another season of summer smash "Dancing With the Stars." The alphabet network's formal pickup of the BBC Worldwide series, confirmed on July 19, had been expected for weeks. ABC said it doesn't expect to bring 'Dancing' back to the air until midseason; early winter seems to be the most likely option.

ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson said 'Dancing' has "played a pivotal role" in ABC's summer strategy. "The show is tremendous fun, perfect for our brand and a wonderful boost for our schedule," he said. "Having 'Dancing' and 'Brat Camp' both emerge this summer as assets for the future gives us great upside."

Andrea Wong, ABC's executive vice president of alternative programming, admitted that the original decision to put 'Dancing' on the air was something of a risk. "It was an odd left turn, so it's especially gratifying to see it embraced by so many people," she said.

"Dancing With the Stars" easily ranks as the summer's biggest hit to date, averaging a 5.1/15 in demos and 16.8 million viewers over its six-week run. Those numbers also make the show the summer's most-watched series on any network since "Survivor" premiered in 2000.

The serie's success won't necessarily impact the casting process for cycle two. "You get more people who want to do the show, but that doesn't make it any easier to book," said Paul Telegdy, Vice President of programming and co-productions for the BBC.

Telegdy said producers won't be looking to just lure bigger names to the show. Instead, what they're interested in "is the story they're going to bring to the show." No major changes are planned for season two, though Telegdy said he's sure ABC will up the episode count from season one's six segments.

BBC Entertainment Group president Wayne Garvie said the company was satisfied to see American viewers embrace 'Dancing' as passionately as British audiences did the U.K. version of the series (dubbed "Strictly Come Dancing"). He added, "For the second season, we guarantee even more tears, tantrums and tangos."

The popular "Strictly Come Dancing" inspired a disco-flavored spinoff in the U.K. as well as the more recent "Strictly African Dancing" competition. While it seems likely the BBC will eventually try to set up those formats Stateside, there's been no movement on that front as of yet. The original BBC dance series will be returning for its third season this fall in the U.K.

As for the precise scheduling of the 'Stars' sequel, the network can easily afford to hold off on returning the show given the number of big guns returning to ABC this fall: "Lost," "Desperate Housewives," "Grey's Anatomy," "Boston Legal" and "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."

Having the series on hand for, say, a January premiere could also give the network a nice weapon to help launch its new Monday lineup. ABC could also use the show on Wednesday nights, allowing "Lost" to take a midseason breather (thus minimizing in-season repeats). A March premiere might also make sense to avoid bumping up against NBC's coverage of the Winter Olympics.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Entertainment News

IS WAYNE KNIGHT AVAILABLE?: a wonderful boost for our schedule," says ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson. The sequel to the celeb-with-pro dance-off could debut as early as this winter, or as late as March, to avoid NBC's Olympics onslaught. Thus far, there are no leads on the new roster of stars ("More people want to do the show, but that doesn

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Entertainment News

WE'LL HAVE THE RESULTS... AFTER THIS: Speaking of "Bleeping with the Stars

Variety.com

ABC Goes 'Dancing' Twice a Week

joey.jpg

'Dancing With the Stars' professional Ashly

DelGrosso and celebrity Joey McIntyre

Hoping to end any lingering questions over the show's voting methodology, ABC will air reality smash "Dancing With the Stars" two times a week when it returns next season. Dancers -- each couple pairs a celebrity and a professional -- will continue to compete in the weekly hour long series.

But now, the week's elimination won't be held until the second episode of the week, a 30-minute "results" show. Change in format will allow viewers to vote on their favorite dancers and for those audience tallies to be combined with the judges' scores.

Questions over the show's voting system dominated ABC's TV Critics Association press tour session recently featuring entertainment president Steve McPherson. Some viewers and reporters had expressed frustration that audience votes determining the show's winner were tallied from the previous week's performances.

"We heard their frustrations loud and clear about the voting process, so we're adding the results show, letting them have the fullest possible participation," McPherson said.

Addition of a second weekly episode is also a no-brainer for the network, given the show's ratings. 'Dancing' averaged a 5.1 rating/15 share among adults 18-49 during its summer run, as well as 16.8 million viewers -- making it the most-viewed summer series since "Survivor" in 2000.

• 3 months later...
Morty - Thanks for the exact date! There is a thread that gives a few more details about the second season of "Dancing With the Stars." Here's the link: Season Two. I'll try to stay on top of the news and post the new celebrities and dance professionals as soon as they become available.

ap_75.jpg

'Dancing' Returns To ABC January 5

ohurley_jorgensen_inred.jpg

'Dancing With the Stars' dance professional Charlotte

Jorgensen dancing with 'Seinfeld's' John O'Hurley.

LOS ANGELES, California - "Dancing With the Stars," a summertime hit for ABC, will return for an eight-week run. The dance show's second run will start Thursday, January 5. It will feature new celebrities to be announced later for its sophomore twirl on America's television screens. ABC said "Dancing With the Stars" will air two times a week when it returns in January.

Dancers -- each couple pairs a celebrity and a professional -- will continue to compete in the weekly hour long series. But now, the week's elimination won't be held until the second episode of the week, a 30-minute "results" show. Change in format will allow viewers to vote on their favorite dancers and for those audience tallies to be combined with the judges' scores.

The dance series will fill in for "Alias," which is going on hiatus to accommodate Jennifer Garner's maternity leave, ABC said. Garner is expecting her first child with husband Ben Affleck later this year. The spy drama, "Alias," will return in the spring with all new original episodes.

"Dancing With the Stars" attracted an average weekly audience of nearly 17 million viewers and became the most-watched network summer series in the past five years. It was followed by a September dance-off between initial champion "General Hospital's" Kelly Monaco and her partner, Alec Mazo and runner-up "Seinfeld's" John O'Hurley and his partner, Charlotte Jorgensen. O'Hurley won but that show drew a smaller audience.

• 3 weeks later...

Reuters100x26.jpg

ABC's 'Stars' Stay on Dance Floor Longer

km_am_firstdance.jpg

'Dancing With the Stars' winners 'General Hospital' actress Kelly

Monaco and dance professional Alec Mazo.

ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" is about to step on NBC's toes. Just one day after NBC revealed it would move hit comedy "My Name is Earl" to Thursdays at 9 p.m., ABC announced it is expanding 'Stars' episodes to 90 minutes. That will take the network's summer hit, originally scheduled on Thursdays from 8-9 p.m. through 9:30 p.m. -- directly against 'Earl.'

ABC also announced a time slot for a half-hour results show for 'Stars,' on Fridays at 8 p.m., and scheduled new crime drama, "In Justice" at 9 p.m. Fridays. That will put reality series, "Supernanny" on hiatus, and move sitcom "Hope & Faith" to 8:30 p.m. Sliding in behind 'Stars' at 9:30 p.m. on Thursdays will be the new comedy, "Crumbs."

The expansion of 'Stars' reflects just the latest jockeying for position on Thursdays, primetime's richest night in terms of advertising revenue. In addition to NBC's 'Earl' move, Fox moved comedies, "That '70s Show" and "Stacked" to 9-10 p.m., where they will face off against CBS' reigning hit, "CSI."

'Stars' will kick off its second season with a two-hour episode. The new expanded edition is believed to reflect an expanded roster of celebrity dancers. ABC is expected to disclose participating hoofers this week. Both 'Stars' and 'Earl' premiere January 5. "In Justice" bows January 6 and "Crumbs" starts January 12.

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

New Semi-Stars Shine on 'Dancing'

Carrere2BW.jpg

Tia Carrere shwings onto ABC's 'Dancing'

"Dancing with the Stars" is going to be bigger. But can it possibly produce better ratings? ABC's surprise summer hit will answer its own question mark starting January 5. The second-season premiere will boast 10 ostensible stars vying to be crowned an ostensive dance star, up from the gang of six who started stepping on toes last June.

As announced Thursday, the all-new Love Boat will set sail with the following passengers:

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT.COM

Master P Fills Romeo Void on 'Dancing with the Stars'

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

04:16 PM PT

lilromeo_masterp_240.jpg

An "untimely basketball injury" has forced teenage rapper/actor Romeo to drop out of ABC's "Dancing with the Stars." Fortunately, his dad has his back.

Hip-hop impresario and sometime professional basketball player Master P (aka P. Miller) has agreed to take his son's place on season two of "Dancing with the Stars," which premieres Thursday, Jan. 5.

Miller, who starred with his son in Nickelodeon show "Romeo!" a couple seasons back, has sold millions of records and is head of the No Limit label, which flourished outside the mainstream hip-hop scene in the 1990s and made Miller one of Forbes magazine's "40 Richest Under 40" in 1999.

He's also a fairly respectable baller -- good enough to earn a tryout with the NBA's Toronto Raptors a few years back and to play with the Las Vegas Rattlers of the American Basketball Association and on some summer pro league teams.

On "Dancing with the Stars," Miller will team with professional dancer Ashly Delgrosso. Delgrosso is taking her second turn on the show, having paired with former New Kid on the Block Joey McIntyre last summer.

• 3 weeks later...

variety_logo100x24.jpg

New Co-Host Fills 'Stars' Dance' Card

by Josef Adalian

harris.jpg

New Co-Host Samantha Harris

ABC has checked Lisa Canning off its dance card. The network said that "E! News" correspondent Samantha Harris will join Tom Bergeron as co-host of the upcoming second season of "Dancing With the Stars." "Dancing With the Stars" returns to the ABC schedule on Thursday, January 5 at 8 p.m.

Nowhere in the release was there any mention of Canning, who will not be returning to the show, an ABC representative confirmed Thursday, December 29. "A decision was made to go in a different direction," the representative said.

Canning's departure is reminiscent of what happened to Brian Dunkelman, who co-hosted the first season of "American Idol" with Ryan Seacrest. After the Fox music reality show became a hit, Dunkelman was nowhere to be found when the show returned for its second go-round, with Seacrest taking on solo hosting duties.

tom_lisa.jpg

Season One Hosts Tom Bergeron and Lisa Canning

The exit of Canning is not a complete surprise, given her sometimes shaky performance during the summer run of 'Dancing.' The reality show airs live and Canning, at time,s seemed hard-pressed to keep up with the show's fast pace.

Harris actually covered 'Dancing' in her role as a reporter for E!, and she'll keep her gig at the cable entertainment show. In addition to E!, Harris has hosted series including "The Next Joe Millionaire" and "AMC Access." She's also had several acting roles including "CSI" and "George of the Jungle."

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Dancing with the Stars

I think I was the only person in the office who didn't watch this over the summer, and I regretted it for months, so I had high expectations here tonight. The only problem is, it seems like the show's producers have decided that everyone else watching was a fan of the first season, so we got very little explanation of how the celebrities and partners were matched up, how long they had to learn their dances, what dances to expect in the coming weeks, etc. How about a little bit of love for the new people here? Master P says he got all the people in the 'hood to watch! OK, I'll cut to the dancing right away, like the show did:

George Hamilton and Edyta Sliwinska: I thought George would be pretty good, since he's older and maybe dancing would come with the Hollywood-legend training. But alas, he was ruined by a yachting accident and had to rely on visual jokes. The little footwork he did was promising, so maybe when he feels better, we'll see more flair. Loved Edyta's dress

Vote for your favorite dance couple.

Find out more here.

P.S. Limit of 10 calls per phone. :)

**Ducking**

Dancing with the Stars

I have to thank the show's producers not only for making this results show short and sweet, but also for adding a bit of old-fashioned variety show to break up the contrived suspense. There was something for everyone: real ballroom dancing by the pros, for the people who actually tuned in to see that; humor, more from Kenny Mayne than from Tom and Samantha; a special musical appearance by Burt Bacharach, who's promoting a new album, so he doesn't mind being accompanied by the show's wedding band; and, of course, all that skin, for the guys forced to watch this against their will. If they really want to make me happy, however, they'll give us more commentary from the overexcited Roberto Benigni impersonator, Bruno Tonioli. We need more "Jippity Cricket" metaphors, pronto. As for the actual results, they were rather predictable. The world is strangely compelled to put Master P through more misery, and Kenny's forgiving fanbase doesn't extend much beyond his artistic daughter. Sad to see such a good sport go. By the way, what's with all the type A, competitive talk from the other contestants? Are they really there just to win? I guess that's the spirit that made them "stars."

Courtesy of: ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, POPWATCH

'Dancing' results show full of shockers

8599__kenny_l.jpg

I'm not sure what surprised me most about the Dancing With the Stars results show Friday night. The fact that Master P escaped elimination despite the total non-effort he gave during his ''gangsta cha-cha'' on Thursday's performance episode (a pitiful display that ranked last of 10 with the judges). That poor Wayne's World star Tia Carrere, whose waltz was among the evening's most glamorous, wound up in the bottom two. Or perhaps the fact that I became an instant Lisa Rinna fan after witnessing her display of unbridled delight upon advancing into the series' second round. Indeed, it's one thing to gamely embrace the series' cheesy charm (like, say, Jerry Rice or Giselle Fernandez), but it's an entirely different thing to let the world see that you care -- deeply! -- about taking home the crown. I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally hooked on this season, especially knowing I won't have to witness tragically uncoordinated ESPN host Kenny Mayne (pictured) attempt the quickstep next week. What did you think of the results show? Will you be back for more Dancing on Thursday? All must be revealed ~ Michael Slezak | 01. 9.06, 12:28 PM

Edited by Dade

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Which Dancing Stars Are Hot... and Not?

by Deborah Starr Seibel

060111insider2.jpg

Dancing with the Stars' Stacy Keibler and Tony Dovolani

Last week's second-season premiere of ABC's Dancing with the Stars (Thursdays at 8 pm/ET; results show on Friday at 8 pm/ET) saw a record number of viewers tune in

Dancing with the Stars

Tom Bergeron was faster than the quickstep with his off-the-cuff humor tonight

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

ABC BUMPS EMILY, JAKE AND HOPE: ABC apparently found a reason why not, deciding to bump Heather Graham's just-debuted Emily's Reasons Why Not, as well as John Stamos' own ratings-anemic series, Jake in Progress, from the schedule this Monday in favor of an encore of The Bachelor's season premiere. Both comedies are expected to return Jan. 23. Also, it's an unlucky Friday the 13th for Hope & Faith, which has been benched to expand the Dancing with the Stars results show to a full, overblown hour. Speaking of which, if Master P isn't gone by 8:59 pm, I smell shark.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK MATT

Question: With the beginning of the new season of Dancing with the Stars, I can't help but wonder why viewers love this show so much more than the Fox summer show So You Think You Can Dance. Personally, I loved Fox's dancing reality series much more than ABC's version because of all the variety in dance styles, which includes hip-hop, disco and Broadway, to name a few, while Dancing with the Stars only has ballroom dances. Why do you think Dancing with the Stars is a much more successful show?

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Judge Makes Scoring Error On Dancing With The Stars 2

dancing_8_paddle.jpg

Dancing with the Stars 2 now has its own wrong number controversy. It wasn

Awwww, BOO! I felt really bad for Tatum last night. She has far more potential that Master P, and a better attitude too.

I know P improved, but that really wouldn't take much would it. I think Ashly's fans shouldn't vote for them to stay, to give her a break from this guy. It can't be much fun to work with someone like him.

I am NOT a rap music fan, but that isn't why I want him gone. It's just the attitude and that people who this means much more too, and have much more potential are going to be going home before him, just because people think it's funny to see him trying to dance that way.

Entertainment value = over.

Dancing with the Stars

I don't know enough about television programming to tell if ABC's shooting itself in the high heel with this loooong results show. If I didn't have to write about it and if I knew that every single dance would air unedited again on Friday, I'd skip Thursday's episode altogether. Of course, I did want to rewatch some performances: George's "Top Hat," Stacy's near-perfect rumba and Tatum's meltdown. In confessional, Tatum seemed to blame it all on the praise people gave her after the first episode, then she burst into tears and declared that she didn't like the show anymore. As for the results, the first surprise was that Drew and Cheryl weren't among the first to move on

Dancing with the Stars

It sure seemed like the judges were regretting last week's score inflation

Dancing with the Stars

The producers must have heeded my warning last week, because I don't know how many times Tom and Samantha reminded us that next week, the only time to see the dances will be on Thursdays