Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Mr. Eko

Jem

Akinnuoye-Agbaje Is 'Lost' Mystery Man

By Daniel Fienberg

adewaleakinnuoyeagbaje_lost_240.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Following in the storied tradition of "Gilligan's Island," where cosmonauts and Globetrotters would wash up with some regularity, ABC's "Lost" keeps adding regular cast members to a deserted island getaway that seems much less exclusive than your basic club med. Viewers have been washing up in larger audiences than ever, thanks in part to the show's new blood, mysterious characters like Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje's Mr. Eko.

London-born Akinnuoye-Agbaje would be on the verge of becoming a household name this winter expect very few households are going to find it easy to pronounce his unique name. The son of Nigerian immigrants, the 38-year-old actor progressed from stereotypical African roles in films like "Congo" and "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls" to a memorable turn as the Simon Adebisi, the baddest of the bad on HBO's "Oz." His mainstream visibility is only increasing with his role as charismatic drug dealer Majestic in "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" and his "Lost" gig, which he took immediately afterwards as something of a vacation.

"Working in Hawaii, being out there, it's different, man," Akinnuoye-Agbaje says. "It's a trip. You're on a rock and you work and all the locals know you and it's quite a trip. I took it after 'Get Rich or Die Trying' just to cleanse me out. It was nice to wash that out and go to a beautiful environment."

So far, viewers have learned very little about Akinnuoye-Agbaje's Mr. Eko. The character hasn't had more than a dozen lines of dialogue and while his presence was initially threatening, it certainly appears that he was part of the second group of plane crash survivors, a clan that also has introduced Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros to the cast.

Akinnuoye-Agbaje says he had no concerns about being dropped into the insular "Lost" community that has been bonding in Hawaii for well over a year.

"I didn't really have time to even consider it, I went straight to work," he says of the tight switch from "Get Rich." "In hindsight, they're a very tight bunch of actors. Obviously, when you're very far from home you kind of club together. And it's genuine. There's a really nice sense of camaraderie there. Every Wednesday a different actor is showing the episode in their house and they gather there to watch it. It's nice it's a nice posse to work with."

Although he's only been shooting for a few months, Akinnuoye-Agbaje has already contracted that particular disease that afflicts all "Lost" thespians, a condition characterized by vagaries and ambiguity.

"I've been really pleasantly surprised," he hints of the direction that Mr. Eko will take in the weeks to come. "I think you're going to like it. I don't think you've seen this kind of dimension of character or the culture illuminated on network TV in a long time, like in primetime."

Hmmm... That may not necessarily say much. Has he been paying attention to any of the wildly spreading speculation about his character? "No," he laughs. "Just get on with the work, man."

And how many episodes will Mr. Eko be around for? "What do I say? I'm down, let's put it that way. I'm down unless the vicissitudes of life change."

And when will we learn more about his the soft-spoken shirtless giant? "You'll see... In the next two weeks, it's about to get funky."

That's enough for us. "Lost" returns with new episodes this Wednesday (Nov. 9). "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" opens the same day.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ranster627
He will ALWAYS be Adebisi. I love him, but I'd never dropthe soap...if you know what I mean. :P

lol ... I do know ... and what great acting that was too!

Oh that's where I know him from. I've been trying to place this guy... I knew I had seen him in something else. I agree, great acting in a GREAT show... I'm was sooo bummed when HBO cancelled it!!!

I've never seen the show, but I'll have to check and see if they have it on dvd. What a fantastic actor and now one of my favorite survivors of flight 815!! (or is he?)

Guest ranster627
I've never seen the show, but I'll have to check and see if they have it on dvd. What a fantastic actor and now one of my favorite survivors of flight 815!! (or is he?)

I am pretty sure he is ... he came out of the water in a suit and carrying the boy, then dived back in for the sister ... now whether he was planted on the plane from the beginning to bring a cargo to the island of new people, that question I can't answer!

Edited by ranster627

Did they mention in the last few episodes whether he was on the plane? I can't remember...

I also remember in OZ the rivalry between Adebisi and Syeed (sp?). Wonder if something will surface between the two Lost characters.

If Beacher or Schillinger show up, I'm turning the show off. :P

there is 5 seasons of it out actually!

I also remember in OZ the rivalry between Adebisi and Syeed (sp?). Wonder if something will surface between the two Lost characters.

Eko and who else?? Michael?

Guest ranster627
Did they mention in the last few episodes whether he was on the plane? I can't remember...

I don't remember actual "mention" of it .... just remember him in the water right with everyone else ...

Eko and who else?? Michael?

Sorry, on Oz Adedbisi and Syeed (sorry if I keep spelling it wrong) had a constant power struggle going mostly due to power through fear or power through faith.

I'm curious to see Eko's back story. IMO, Syeed seems to be a man who lost his faith due to military's science. To balance the island, did Eko gain his faith as a result of the same sort of science?

Then again, these two characters might not really meet.

Just brainstorming for the next SIX weeks. :angry: Forgive me! :P

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: SCI-FI WIRE

Lost's Mr. Eko Reveals A Secret

12:00 AM, 25-JANUARY-06

akinnuoye_lost_tn.jpg

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, the London-born actor who plays the mysterious Mr. Eko on ABC's hit series Lost, revealed to SCI FI Wire the directions he received in his pivotal scene

'Lost' Actor Delivers State Senate Prayer

ap_small.gif

lost_damico2.jpg

HONOLULU - One of the actors of the ABC series "Lost" left behind his star power to promote a different type of strength among local lawmakers

• 7 months later...

"Lost" Charges Down the Hatch

By Gina Serpe

If only the Others were as forgiving... Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, better known by the much more spell check-friendly name of Mr. Eko on Lost, managed to get two charges of traffic violations against him dropped Tuesday.

The 39-year-old actor became the lastest cast member of ABC's megahit to get rung up for alleged traffic violations, when he was ticketed Sept. 2 for driving without a license and for disobeying an officer.

Akinnuoye-Agbaje, who joined Lost last season as a Tailie, spent six hours in jail and was released after posting $600 bond. According to the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, the Honolulu District Court dropped the first charge after the actor's lawyer, Scott Collins, was able to prove that Akinnuoye-Agbaje did, in fact, have a California driver's license at the time of his arrest.

The charge of disobeying an officer was also dropped after prosecutors decided it could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Akinnuoye-Agbaje didn't appear in court for the charges' dismissal because it was a misdemeanor case. Of course, the actor's absence is already being parsed by Lost message board enthusiasts determined to find clues to the upcoming series.

The fact that the actor was on the island of Oahu earlier this month is a good indicator that Eko would be appearing on the show's third season, despite the second-season ender which left up in the air, among other things, the question of whether the staff-wielding drug runner turned priest could withstand bearing the brunt of an unrestrained electromagnetic force.

Meanwhile, Akinnuoye-Agbaje, who previously starred on HBO's Oz, is one of the few Lost cast members to manage to escape unscathed from a run-in with the Hawaii Five-O. Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros were both arrested on DUI charges last year. Rodriguez opted for jail time while Watros got off easier, with just a fine and a suspension of her license. Both also got killed off the show by year's end.

Of course, Eko's fate isn't necessarily tied up in his alter ego's legal hassles. If each cast member found in violation of the law was kicked off the show, there'd be practically no one left: Josh Holloway, Dominic Monaghan, Naveen Andrews, Ian Somerhalder and Harold Perrineau Jr. have each been ticketed for various minor traffic violations since production on the show started, none of which was elevated beyond small fines.

The new season of Lost kicks off--with three new faces joining Eko and his fellow castaways--Oct. 4 on ABC.

• 1 month later...

Exclusive: Lost Execs React to Latest Death!

Courtesy of Ask Ausiello:

Sure, the stick-toting warlord wasn't exactly my favorite character, but he was a fascinating creature, not to mention one of the last remaining survivors of that cursed tail section. Why did Eko have to go? That's a question for Lost boys Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, who addressed Eko's passing

Not happy with the exit. Not happy with the resukt...Not happy with the show...

My husband even asked why the show was getting rid of all of the non-white actors. Hmmm...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TODAYS NEWS: OUR TAKE

Lost's Let-go Eko Seeks to Snuff Rumors

Lost's Mr. Eko may be dead, but rumors live on that his portrayer, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, was difficult to work with, a trait wthat may have sealed his holy man's fate. [see the Ausiello Report for details.](EDIT:see above post) "I've heard speculation that I left Lost because I wasn't happy. Straight up, it was probably one of the best relationships I've ever had, in terms of developing a character," the actor tells the New York Post. Akinnuoye-Agbaje, a Buddhist, says that his acting methods